• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2022

liuzhou

Per grandson's request, made up another batch of Char Siu - done on the BBQ. He had some for supper, then I put the rest into the freezer. He's going to come up one day and make baos.
                                                                                     1229630249_CharSiuviatheBBQ8422.jpg.88d77258c8ca29bb966264247da26b60.jpg

Another spareribs dish from the packages I bought a few days back: Black Bean Garlic Ribs cooked in the Ninja Pressure cook

2038300290_BlackBeanGarlicribs8486.jpg.ab050e9bb05d11d38a433fdaf8103c80.jpg1075717802_Cauliflowerfriedrice8488.jpg.bb270fcbc3eea7c70320b305e7152a3e.jpg

Eaten with Cauliflower fried rice. Trying to cut back on carbs as I have to fit into a Mother of the Bride dress I bought last fall! Our daughter is finally going to have her "Celebration of Love" belated wedding party on Oct 1. Three previous parties were cancelled due to Covid.

Tonight, used the Ninja Air Fry Oven - roasted new taters, fennel, zucchinis and yellow beans, drizzled with Dill Infused Olive Oil @425F for 20 minutes.

Did a second tray with more veg and lean ground beef burgers (mixed with crunchy peanut butter, an egg, and 1/4 cup Panko crumbs) AR @ 425 for 10 minutes, then brushed with No Sugar Added BBQ sauce. Hubby had the taters. I had lots of beg!

It was a lovely meal with little clean-up.

1453955795_NinjaMeals8490.jpg.2e4f86df047148f94c2bfe58e72d3981.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 3

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Mezze rigatoni in a sauce made from summer squash cooked in chicken stock and butter and pureed in the vitamix with baby spinach and parmesan cheese added at the end, topped with some more very overripe tomatoes from my farm share box.

1505467114_summersquashpasta2.thumb.jpg.13d8c45c8ed00c56f6c1f8edfce1b402.jpg

Edited by liamsaunt (log)
  • Like 11
  • Delicious 2

@mgaretz – I’m ready for some ribs!  I need to inspire Mr. Kim by showing him your picture!

@Dejah – gorgeous char siu! 

Saturday morning, we discovered that, for the second time in 2 weeks, our refrigerator was not working.  Last time by the time we got in touch with the appliance guy on the following Monday, it was working again and he thought that it was probably a door left open the night before and didn’t need to come out.  Well, this time we were sure that was not the case.  So we packed everything up and took some of it to Mr. Kim’s mom’s house.  A couple of Jessica’s friends came through for us and loaned us two dorm-sized fridges and we put the everyday stuff in them.  Such a giant PITA to be without a big fridge for the entire weekend, but the guy came over almost as soon as Mr. Kim talked to him Monday morning and fixed it,  so it was nice to not have to go buy a new fridge last night!  So, Saturday night was leftover Moo Shu pork from our neighborhood place:

1-IMG_0494.thumb.jpg.82a3caf0a6aad6af26d4bce0aa744c6b.jpg

1-IMG_0495.thumb.jpg.2cd7337d21280046fbdf6142faf2c09c.jpg

1-IMG_0496.jpg.c817a9aaa5c9b463f07a9b8d635beca3.jpg

I roll a much better Moo Shu pancake than I do a burrito 😄.  There was also shrimp fried rice.

Last night, I did breakfast for dinner.  Watermelon:

1-IMG_0511.thumb.jpg.bd3dbc2dbd6d4a317f83ce917546cf4f.jpg

A fabulous tomato, some ham and sausage:

1-IMG_0512.thumb.jpg.222ddda521ea70810f45363e59e612c8.jpg

With biscuits, tots, and scrambled eggs:

1-IMG_0513.jpg.4c9a699c54a0edbe4e38ba317137fe4c.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 2

The rest of the rib roast from Costco was cut up for bulgogi and grilled today.  I used flexible grill sheets to keep from losing anything between the grates and to keep it cleaner.  The side made with bean sprouts recipe is on my blog side listed below.  The radish kim chi, cabbage kim chi and kim bob were picked up at an Asian store today.

image-1.jpeg

image-2.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Delicious 1

Potato Salad from one of Diana Henry’s books in a way how we like them most - potatoes as a part of the salad but not the only/main ingredient - here with shredded romaine salad, steamed green beans, grilled chicken breast, crispy bacon and a dressing made from buttermilk, a little bit of heavy cream, scallions and chervil

A126FAAF-F84B-40B1-8A80-8AC2E51270D9.thumb.jpeg.79bfb199f16f8dab7b7d43f77d798f58.jpeg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Crabcakes with horseradish aioli, corn cut off the cob, and tomato-basil salad.  All the veggies are from my CSA box.  My sister brought the crabmeat home from a farmer's market that sets up in front of her office on Tuesdays.

crabcake.thumb.jpg.b69b17d82ebf9e1b9e8aecca28155b34.jpg

• Like 17
  • Delicious 4

A friend of mine in New Jersey gave me this sauce recipe a few years ago. I thought it tasted like a chili dog I had a few times when I was 8 or 9. There was a street vendor guy down the block from our church a few times one summer.  I tried to do a copy of the way he served them with the bun toasted in butter and with the middle cut out, not just a slit down the middle.  I think it turned out well.  Charlie said it was the best chili dog he'd ever had.  Jimmy called it a Greek style sauce. Another friend from New Jersey said in her  part of the state, it was sold bottled as Texas Weiner Sauce but that it was mostly sold in Greek Delis.  PS Jimmy says it is also good on top of hamburgers.

image-3.jpeg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

My sister wanted veggie burgers for dinner.  I was constrained by the fact that my niece won't eat beans or mushrooms if she can detect them, and my sister hates tofu, tempeh, etc.  So, I tried this burger recipe from food52 on the assumption that the mushrooms would not be detectable: https://food52.com/recipes/88256-best-miso-veggie-burger-recipe

The flavors were good, but even though I let the burger mixture refrigerate overnight before cooking them, they were still quite mushy.  Hopefully, it will be a while before she asks for another veggie burger.  I'd rather just have a roasted vegetable sandwich.  

536191265_veggieburger.thumb.jpg.d5d094ae740fe10634851983570a9f8a.jpg

• Like 14
  • Haha 1

On 8/23/2022 at 3:47 PM, Norm Matthews said:

I used flexible grill sheets to keep from losing anything between the grates and to keep it cleaner.

Question on these.  I had a pack of those 8-9 years ago I bought to use on my tao burner.  The first time I used it over properly ashed down and glowing charcoal (no open flame), the bloody things melted.   I was cooking boneless, skinless chicken thighs.  Needless to say, the meat was ruined.   I then realized that in the description on my grill mats said "up to 500F" gas/charcoal/electric.   I would imagine on most outdoor grills 500F isn't hard to achieve regularly.  

Anybody else ever see grill mats fail?

6 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

536191265_veggieburger.thumb.jpg.d5d094ae740fe10634851983570a9f8a.jpg

Too bad about the texture. RickMrtinez is usually good about rich flavor and texture. I would replace the quinoa with roasted chick peas, black beans, and wheat berries. A half finely grated raw red beet. I went through this issue a half dozen years ago when family visited. DH asked if I could make a vegetable burger when our nephew and his new wife---vegetarian leaning towards vegan, visited with a load of family guests. I made a sheet pan of sliders. Mostly meat, 1/3rd vegetarian. 

A trial batch a few weeks earlier, DH said, "why am I eating this?",🙄. He asked for it but forgot. 

Very good but now rely on a tried-and-true pizza night where everyone can request whatever they like. Almond four tortilla for a crust, yada...

• Like 1

On 8/22/2022 at 9:01 PM, Dejah said:

2038300290_BlackBeanGarlicribs8486.jpg.ab050e9bb05d11d38a433fdaf8103c80.jpg

I love this dish.  I think I have some of these little ribs in the freezer.  Need to make them soon.

Moe and I celebrated our 43rd Wedding Anniversary today.
1319577211_GrilledPorkTenderloinwithareducedBlackPepperCherrysauceAugust25th2022.thumb.jpg.2c1990ff06d28dd6d79943380350d20a.jpg
Dinner was grilled pork tenderloin medallions with a reduced black pepper cherry sauce. Served with spaetzle, braised red cabbage and zucchini.

• Like 14
  • Delicious 6

On 8/23/2022 at 1:58 AM, Kerala said:

The easy clean-up is certainly a big draw, @Dejah

Could you please say how you did the pressure cooked black bean and garlic ribs?

Sorry for tardiness in reply, Kerala!
I smashed fermented black beans and mixed with a couple tbsp of soy sauce, "massage"  in a couple tbsp oil, then a couple tbsp cornstarch to give the silky texture to the ribs.
I put about 2 cups of water in the bottom of the pot, set in a rack, then the dish. I used a dish my potter friend made for me.
Set the Ninja to Pressure cook for 20 minutes. Quick release.

• Thanks 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Picked up 3 packages of lamb chops at Safeway late afternoon, each with 3 chops and $5.00 off each package. Couldn't pass those up as I didn't have any supper plans.
I air fried them @425 in the Ninja SP101 for 10 minutes, flipped half way. Followed with a 5 min Air Broil for more char.

Threw in cut up new taters at the half time flip for hubby; I had mashed cauliflower.

269058624_LambChops8497.jpg.29c5af92798bb7b89529277126300c64.jpg

Pre-salted chicken thighs with stalks of fresh rosemary under the skin. Air-fried @425 for 15 minutes. Skin was lovely and crispy. More beans from my bean pots. Hubby not a bean fan, He had frozen mixed veg!        1566317040_ChickenTatersplated8504.jpg.dbe01cafe212b72ffe33555190c6299f.jpg

The granddaughters spent the afternoon with us. They wanted sushi, so I picked some up for them. Hubby and I eat late. We had stir-fried beef tenderloin trimmings and beansprouts. Had lots of cauliflower bought on sale, so it was cauliflower fried rice accompanied.

1220510538_BeefBeanSprouts_8523.jpg.ff86ae6d441499ec8bf1f762c7d3f9ee.jpg 

Cauliflower Fried Rice accompanied. Had our quota of vegetables for the day!

1628587820_Cauliflowerfriedrice8488.jpg.21aeba0b300849338a602cb44101d096.jpg                                                                 

Edited by Dejah (log)
  • Like 12
  • Delicious 4

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

4 hours ago, Ann_T said:

I love this dish.  I think I have some of these little ribs in the freezer.  Need to make them soon.

1319577211_GrilledPorkTenderloinwithareducedBlackPepperCherrysauceAugust25th2022.thumb.jpg.2c1990ff06d28dd6d79943380350d20a.jpg
Dinner was grilled pork tenderloin medallions with a reduced black pepper cherry sauce. Served with spaetzle, braised red cabbage and zucchini.

"Moe and I celebrated our 43rd Wedding Anniversary today."

CONGRATULATIONS!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Annie_H said:

Too bad about the texture. RickMrtinez is usually good about rich flavor and texture. I would replace the quinoa with roasted chick peas, black beans, and wheat berries. A half finely grated raw red beet. I went through this issue a half dozen years ago when family visited. DH asked if I could make a vegetable burger when our nephew and his new wife---vegetarian leaning towards vegan, visited with a load of family guests. I made a sheet pan of sliders. Mostly meat, 1/3rd vegetarian. 

A trial batch a few weeks earlier, DH said, "why am I eating this?",🙄. He asked for it but forgot. 

Very good but now rely on a tried-and-true pizza night where everyone can request whatever they like. Almond four tortilla for a crust, yada...

That sounds good, but as I mentioned, my niece will not eat beans.  Especially black beans.  

8 hours ago, Ann_T said:

Happy Anniversary!

Last night I made the household favorite chicken shawarma 

shawarma.thumb.jpg.a388c3910937f627a26fb6b6b0c6b44e.jpg

• Like 17
  • Delicious 2

22 hours ago, lemniscate said:

Question on these.  I had a pack of those 8-9 years ago I bought to use on my tao burner.  The first time I used it over properly ashed down and glowing charcoal (no open flame), the bloody things melted.   I was cooking boneless, skinless chicken thighs.  Needless to say, the meat was ruined.   I then realized that in the description on my grill mats said "up to 500F" gas/charcoal/electric.   I would imagine on most outdoor grills 500F isn't hard to achieve regularly.  

Anybody else ever see grill mats fail?

I bought these grilling mats at Walmart several years ago and at the end of the year put them away and forgot I had them until now.  I dild not remember any cautions about using them. I have used them twice. Once over a charcoal fire (embers) that was quite hot. They did not melt but I did notice an impression of the grate pattern on the back of them.  Thanks for the warning.  I will use them only on the LP gas grill from now on.