Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2022


liuzhou
 Share

Recommended Posts

53 minutes ago, gfweb said:

I forgot that part

Trying to be a forgetatarian, I guess. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Duck Stir Fry for me, Oyster, Fish, Ginger, Sesame etc. 

The Boys had Pie Chips and Beans because there is no accounting for taste and apparently its 1986. 😒

 

20220623_192449.thumb.jpg.5a3bc87759554b776743aced61ce7c92.jpg

 

As always all of your diets are my envy 😊

 

 

  • Like 12
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

this is not completely new , but the stages are all here

 

s I made this last night .  

 

I currently make and enjoy 

 

Turkey Shepards Pie , rectangular    ( as posted recently )

 

and ravioli , with Mix-Ins  :

 

mise 

 

IMG_1421.thumb.jpg.7367680b66f724c5eeaec3f4e63809c9.jpg

 

 

Ravioli // tortellini can vary

IMG_1425.thumb.jpg.91800ba1e203b9adf5549774e2f0d063.jpg

 

chopped mature spinach , from a Bag , @ MarketBasket   Swiss Chard also works well and either is a key ingredient

 

IMG_1422.thumb.jpg.ffaa8dd36abaa8590c2fc129d55da59f.jpg

 

Minors lower salt Beef Base  , w a variable amount of water , which is not measured.  I also use

 

as I have , Minors roast chicken , and Turkey base , both lower salt versions lower 

 

IMG_1428.thumb.jpg.a76a58cb8ef8dcb1e421ccec254362d3.jpg

 

ravioli simmering .  they are floating over  , in this case . lower volume stock and need to be stired

 

for the last minutes for even cooking

 

mise is then added resulting in :

 

IMG_1433.thumb.jpg.ba8804facaff90c35f606217fd571a85.jpg

 

 

Kalamata EVOO ( Tj's ) is added at the end.

 

its quite tasty and easy to make.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 13
  • Delicious 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, CantCookStillTry said:

Duck Stir Fry for me, Oyster, Fish, Ginger, Sesame etc. 

The Boys had Pie Chips and Beans because there is no accounting for taste and apparently its 1986. 😒

 

20220623_192449.thumb.jpg.5a3bc87759554b776743aced61ce7c92.jpg

 

As always all of your diets are my envy 😊

 

 

Beautiful. How is the duck meat sold there? Was it breast or? Chinese markets near me it is all legs and wings. Breast I'd have to order from a specialty market or on-line.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Country-style ribs that we bought with a spice rub, grilled over high heat with 1 flip, set to lower-temperature area until the internal temperature was roughly 145. The whole process took under 10 minutes.

 

20220623_104703.jpg

 

Country-style ribs have been a fraught topic for us because he used to pack (and I mean pack) them into a slow cooker, douse them with barbecue sauce, and cook on low for roughly 8 hours. He loved it that way. Then at some point, that treatment began to turn out badly overcooked meat. Was it the time? the different slow cooker? Different meat or pig breed? Since then we've tried oven cooking (low and slow, high and fast) and shorter slow-cooker times and different slow-cookers, to no avail. There's a very good discussion here, going on for 8 or 9 posts, about the two variants of country-style ribs we find in this country: are they from the pork shoulder, or the pork loin? That discussion asserts that the meat is very different and needs different treatment. Last night's ribs I'm pretty sure were from the shoulder, based on the meat structure and the bones. I especially found this post by @robirdstx to be useful.

 

At any rate (I told you that story to tell you this one) last night's high-heat quick grilling for the country-style bone-in ribs was the best we've had in a long time. Maybe ever. They might have been slightly chewier than he'd like. I would have preferred a different rub. We used the barbecue sauces of our choice, and that was very helpful. (I'm not a big fan of meat slathered with BBQ sauce, and he is, and our tastes in sauce are different.) 

 

Next up: we'll get a package of this style rib, without the rub, and a package of boneless country-style ribs and give them the same quick high-heat grilling treatment, to see how they compare. At some point I'll try sous vide to give it all a head start, too. DH is skeptical about sous vide, but I've found it to be a help sometimes. The discussion I linked to above is actually in the sous vide topic.

  • Like 13

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Smithy 

 

nice ! and good ref's

 

I can't say too much about port shoulder 

 

CSRibs , as I have not seen it in my area 

 

where i ( used ) to shop.

 

I hope Ive mentioned this  before :

 

if you don't have to ' slow down ' two much 

 

on your next trip to the " supermarket "

 

when you pass the Meat case that has whole pork loins 

 

take a peek at each end :  one will have some darker meat

 

and the other is standard lighter colored pork

 

that dark meat would be in some of the " CSR's

 

bone in or not, depending where they were cut from the whole loin.

 

I used to start a small BBQ fire , and get the cooking area

 

' very hot '  I then grill the CSR  w the darknmeat 

 

very quickly , the turn , possible the sides too

 

but very quickly as he coals we're very hot

 

I didn't temp as I did not have a temp thing then

 

but they had a ' char '  and were not burnt.

 

no matter.  I left them cool on a cutting board 

 

then sliced very thinly again the grain

 

for the very best pork sandwich 

 

 Ive ever had.   the meat was rare , 

 

tender and of a completely different flavor of '  cooked pork '

 

it was outstanding.

 

tastes differ , and rare pork might be ( traditional ) bit of concern

 

for some.   

 

if you like Rare , and had this , you would be easily converted.

 

N.B.:  this rare pork was sliced thinly , against the grain

 

for a sandwich.

 

or  where ever thinly sliced meat is enjoyed.

 

It might not be as ' interesting '  as a rare

 

hunk of pork , on a plate , to slice yourself.

 

 

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My butcher had his fantastic coarse Bratwurst on offer. Whipped together a potato salad, grilled the sausage and served with Maille‘s garlic & sweet onion mustard and the best of all ketchups …

 

94D794D9-D4DA-47E2-858B-8D10871686E6.thumb.jpeg.8540f97aae59464175c7f53507a6e757.jpeg

 

F79E417E-23DB-460C-8AA2-BB672C5182D3.thumb.jpeg.a51cbffcdd28b32ac0a6ab84e310167c.jpeg

  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Duvel said:

best of all ketchups

I have not seen that curry ketchup for ages!  It is good stuff. 

  • Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Charlie's birthday is coming up in a few weeks and asked to have a BBQ here.  That is one reason I have been trying a lot of new recipes lately.  I can't get any photos of it to upload but in the end, it is just another picture of a couple slabs of ribs.  I'll print a synopsis of it here instead of a picture.

 

Competition Ribs from Cool Smoke P. 97

 

1 C. Cool Smoke Rub

2 racks St. Louis cut spareribs, membrane removed

1 /2 C. apple juice in spray bottle

1 C. Cool smoke BBQ sauce

1/2 C. honey

2 tsp. cider vinegar

8 T (1 stick) butter, melted

1/4 C. packed light brown sugar

 

Cool Smoke BBQ Sauce                                                                                       

 

3 C. ketchup 1 C. smoked paprika

1 C. packed dark brown sugar 

3/4 C. white vinegar 

1/4 C. Molasses 

3 T. Worcestershire sauce 

1 T. smoked chili powder (p 50) (recipe follows)

1/2 tsp. kosher salt

1 T. smoked paprika

1 T. sweet paprika

2 tsp. granulated onion

2tsp cayenne

1 1/2 C. apple cider vinegar

Smoked Chili Powder  

1 c. smoked paparika

4 T.+ 1tsp dried Greek oregano

3 T.+1 tsp cumin

3T.+garlic

3T+1 tsp. cayenne

2T. granulated onion

 

Cool Smoke Rub

1/2 C. turbinado sugar 1/4 C. +2 T. kosher salt

1/4 C. smoked chili powder 2 T. _ 2 tsp. ground cumin

1 tsp. cayenne pepper 1 T. + 1 tsp. cracked black pepper

1 T. +1 tsp granulated garlic 1 T.+1 tsp. granulated onion

 

Heat smoker to 275.  Smoke 2 hours, spraying with apple juice every 30 min.  Mix and heat to dissolve the honey, cider vinegar, stick of butter and brown sugar.   After two hours, drizzle with butter & honey & brown sugar mixture on the ribs. . Wrap in foil, replace in smoker and cook to 203º to 211º .  Unwrap, brush with cool smoke sauce & heat to set sauce 15 min. Watch closely to keep from burning or overset the sauce. Serve with sauce on the side.

 

I finally got the images to post.

20220623_160445.jpg

20220623_160647.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Duvel said:

My butcher had his fantastic coarse Bratwurst on offer. Whipped together a potato salad, grilled the sausage and served with Maille‘s garlic & sweet onion mustard and the best of all ketchups …

 

94D794D9-D4DA-47E2-858B-8D10871686E6.thumb.jpeg.8540f97aae59464175c7f53507a6e757.jpeg

 

F79E417E-23DB-460C-8AA2-BB672C5182D3.thumb.jpeg.a51cbffcdd28b32ac0a6ab84e310167c.jpeg

 

Amazon offers a gazillion varieties of Hela Ketchup, including Californian Garlic.

 

  • Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

 

Amazon offers a gazillion varieties of Hela Ketchup, including Californian Garlic.

 


Trust me: you want this one. 

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, rotuts said:

@Duvel 

 

im so sorry to see this 

 

only one  ?

 

should I light a candle ?


No worries, @rotuts. There was quite some backup 🤗

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Kim ShookLOL!  I guess my plate had smallish portions.....I do remember that Ronnie wanted a separate plate for his salad so he had more of a regular portion.  The plates are just normal sized.  Now I want cabbage rolls.  

 

@SmithyI'm so hungry for ribs but I'm forcing myself to wait until 4th of July weekend.  Yours look so good. So do @Norm Matthews'.

 

@Ann_TYour greek salads always inspire me to make one.  I'm hoping I have some feta buried in the fridge somewhere.

 

Ronnie's daughter brought him some really nice filets for Father's Day so he grilled them for us.

 

thumbnail_IMG_2555.jpg.3d24841c5a49aae37a21bfb7ac8da792.jpg

 

thumbnail_IMG_2556.jpg.57866f42fa3f98f6f7e0af47046f20e0.jpg

 

I made brownies and some ice cream in the Ninja Creami for dessert

 

thumbnail_IMG_2554.jpg.6c19740d782b46857268fb2f85125880.jpg

 

thumbnail_IMG_2565.jpg.badee2cbd09879445ac183ff2d7aee36.jpg

 

Lots of cucumbers from the garden happening. 

 

thumbnail_IMG_2560.jpg.47f12ac33ccd96784d753c3aaee820bd.jpg

 

thumbnail_IMG_2567.jpg.269c374c48e90ebfdd586166d9f0afdc.jpg

 

The grocery store has pork roasts on sale for 99 cents a pound.  Ronnie stopped and got a few.  We think those prices won't be around for long.  Smoked one and then I SV'd it for sandwiches.

 

thumbnail_IMG_2568.jpg.0cd838d39c0820d3cc84ef5325a8589a.jpg

 

Last night was spinach, mushroom and Canadian bacon calzones

 

thumbnail_IMG_2573.jpg.dcde131eaa66f1534ef64f2820258790.jpg

 

 

  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Anna N said:

I have not seen that curry ketchup for ages!  It is good stuff. 

Had you seen it in the GTA?  If so let me know where, I will go grab us each a bottle! ;)

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, TicTac said:

Had you seen it in the GTA?  If so let me know where, I will go grab us each a bottle! ;)

 

 

I am most certainly not in the market for it at the moment as I don’t eat much that would go well with ketchup but I believe the last time I saw it was in Denninger‘s. 

Edited to add you might also find it in Starsky‘s. 

Edited by Anna N (log)

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Shelby said:

The grocery store has pork roasts on sale for 99 cents a pound.  Ronnie stopped and got a few.  We think those prices won't be around for long.  Smoked one and then I SV'd it for sandwiches.

 

That sent me to the Kroger website to see if theirs are, yet. I've been watching; expect them to go on sale before July 4. I plan on picking up two or three for the freezer.

  • Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Little one is a bit under the weather. He got stung by a wasp on Tuesday, but seemed fine for the next day. The night from Wednesday to Thursday the bite got infected and despite a course of antibiotics & antihistamines tonight he got worse. It‘ll take a few days for his arm to return to normal, until then he is a bit sensitive with pretty much everything. So I took him out tonight for a trip of things he likes: going to the carwash (and letting him stay in the front row seat), getting an icecream and finally letting him decide where to shop for dinner. He chose Lidl. He has never been to Lidl before. Literally never.
 

Once we arrived there it started raining cats and dogs. After enjoying 15 min of kids radio, we went in. They had „American weeks“ and he found a sausage-stuffed crust pizza in the „weekly offer“ freezer. Well …

 

028DEC31-0821-4DF6-A0E1-7B31096D52BC.thumb.jpeg.1786b372bce925a0f2b8102237b57e88.jpeg

 

Wiener-stuffed „hot dog“ pizza (I added roasted onions and a mustard mayo dip for the crust). And a cheese-stuffed salami pizza. „American weeks“ 🤪 These were his first two frozen pizzas in his life.

 

BDB91139-C3F6-47AD-8510-CBC5DAEEAFC9.thumb.jpeg.37bc653322fb98cb83a81a7d0a6e0f2f.jpeg

 

CAD21E7D-B583-492D-8AA0-4C0116D24CBC.thumb.jpeg.39c7b6afe41199b6936e22f3927eb571.jpeg

 

His verdict was that we could have this pizza again, but only on Fridays (Sunday is our Pizza & Movie night) and only in „maybe 5 weeks or so again“. Faith in the little one restored ☺️

 

For dessert he picked Macarons from last weeks French week. According to him they were good, but nothing compared to the one he had in Paris. I just love this guy 🥰

 

F54921F2-CFC3-41D2-8178-D9219C318A99.thumb.jpeg.4f9df8723115015a2a4fd516787e17bd.jpeg

 

B59EEF23-5F42-428A-A19C-A0FCECB14C81.thumb.jpeg.7bf044c7ce9cfe3e457ccc7d0473d22e.jpeg

 

Finally, tomorrow morning will feature pancakes from a tub with hopefully a recovered arm on the little one. Weekend !

 

E4F9ECEC-2ADA-4748-95B9-52020A3F780D.thumb.jpeg.8eaf41521ea9e272cabdbab712056c19.jpeg

 

 

  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Little one is a bit under the weather. He got stung by a wasp on Tuesday, but seemed fine for the next day. The night from Wednesday to Thursday the bite got infected and despite a course of antibiotics & antihistamines tonight he got worse. It‘ll take a few days for his arm to return to normal, until then he is a bit sensitive with pretty much everything. So I took him out tonight for a trip of things he likes: going to the carwash (and letting him stay in the front row seat), getting an icecream and finally letting him decide where to shop for dinner. He chose Lidl. He has never been to Lidl before. Literally never.
 

Once we arrived there it started raining cats and dogs. After enjoying 15 min of kids radio, we went in. They had „American weeks“ and he found a sausage-stuffed crust pizza in the „weekly offer“ freezer. Well …

 

028DEC31-0821-4DF6-A0E1-7B31096D52BC.thumb.jpeg.1786b372bce925a0f2b8102237b57e88.jpeg

 

Wiener-stuffed „hot dog“ pizza (I added roasted onions and a mustard mayo dip for the crust). And a cheese-stuffed salami pizza. „American weeks“ 🤪 These were his first two frozen pizzas in his life.

 

BDB91139-C3F6-47AD-8510-CBC5DAEEAFC9.thumb.jpeg.37bc653322fb98cb83a81a7d0a6e0f2f.jpeg

 

CAD21E7D-B583-492D-8AA0-4C0116D24CBC.thumb.jpeg.39c7b6afe41199b6936e22f3927eb571.jpeg

 

His verdict was that we could have this pizza again, but only on Fridays (Sunday is our Pizza & Movie night) and only in „maybe 5 weeks or so again“. Faith in the little one restored ☺️

 

For dessert he picked Macarons from last weeks French week. According to him they were good, but nothing compared to the one he had in Paris. I just love this guy 🥰

 

F54921F2-CFC3-41D2-8178-D9219C318A99.thumb.jpeg.4f9df8723115015a2a4fd516787e17bd.jpeg

 

B59EEF23-5F42-428A-A19C-A0FCECB14C81.thumb.jpeg.7bf044c7ce9cfe3e457ccc7d0473d22e.jpeg

 

Finally, tomorrow morning will feature pancakes from a tub with hopefully a recovered arm on the little one. Weekend !

 

E4F9ECEC-2ADA-4748-95B9-52020A3F780D.thumb.jpeg.8eaf41521ea9e272cabdbab712056c19.jpeg

 

 

Poor guy! My dad has been stung several times last 2 weeks.  Do the ice but he has a heart condition and with his strong meds I could not risk pain OTC painkillers. Plus he cant help paying with the bite (like a kid). Such a sweet trip with the boy. I don't think "Kleiner Bube" fits anymore.  Sure he felt special. Surprised he picked pizza considering your mastery but novelty attracts. 

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...