• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2022

liuzhou

I actually cooked last night, first time in bout three weeks. Niman Ranch pork chops, marinated and roasted in the CSO over fresh new potatoes, and zucchini fritters from my first zucchini harvest. No pics because I forgot.

Edited by kayb (log)
  • Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

8 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

Nope! I’m a bit jealous! I just bought hotdogs and tend to “pan fry” them with some water but I’m starting to really miss grilled foods! 

I cooked them in the APO 200C for 15 minutes, turning them from time to time.  The indentations in the CSO pan are great for holding hotdogs.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

4 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I cooked them in the APO 200C for 15 minutes, turning them from time to time.  The indentations in the CSO pan are great for holding hotdogs.

Any yet we still have no idea how you served them - buns, toppings, nekkid?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, heidih said:

Any yet we still have no idea how you served them - buns, toppings, nekkid?

Forgive me, Martin's long potato rolls, Nathan's mustard.  With Ranch Gordo whipple beans, Alexia organic fries, and coleslaw on the side.  If I said I eat my hotdogs naked it might give the wrong impression.

• Delicious 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Forgive me, Martin's long potato rolls, Nathan's mustard.  With Ranch Gordo whipple beans, Alexia organic fries, and coleslaw on the side.  If I said I eat my hotdogs naked it might give the wrong impression.

So a nice full meal. Sounds good to me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A couple more items from the Ninja Air Fry Oven:
Pork Chops with whole grain Dijon mustard and brown sugar. Butternut squash and potatoes in the Air Roast function: 15 minutes @350F
                                                                             962347364_PorkwithButternutSquashandApple7556.jpg.a1890b5ba7cbdc4f38cdcb42735ab380.jpg

Spatchcock chicken with Szeged Chicken Rub, taters, squash all in Ninja SP101 - Air Fry @ 375F for 35 minutes. Taters went in half way and put on another 15 minutes after chicken was pulled out.

1896055970_NinjaCHickenDinner7593.jpg.14bc7b3876c7c587d08ae107c1208566.jpg   

1723171466_NinjaChickenDinner7599.jpg.abda8d16a1b3cc11cb14d0caeb4da3a3.jpg      

Pulled out a bag of trimmings from a whole rib eye: Steak Bites: Simply seasoned with Montreal Steak Spice - Air Fry @400F for 5 minutes.
Sweet tater Air Fry in @390 for 30 minutes. Veg were tossed with Deep Roast Sesame Seed dressing and spread around taters for last 15 minutes.

664896512_SteakBites7606.jpg.205b74d14f71ac6671a9a5813a265ae1.jpg

Edited by Dejah (log)
  • Like 9
  • Delicious 5

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I had dinner this week at a brand new Ignacio Mattos restaurant, just opened in our neighborhood, called Corner Bar.

The food we had was pretty good. I was excited to see one of my favorite birds on the menu, the Sasso chicken from Lapera Bros. poultry, where I've been known to buy a few live birds every now and then. Well, they were alive when they weighed them, but not by the time I got them home.

image.thumb.jpeg.12e9957fe317513b848c3193103d3547.jpeg

Nice prep, crispy skin, juicy chicken, sauce slightly cloying (?), but you know, it's the first or second week, so that can be understood.  Significant Eater had a pasta dish, overdressed for days, but what else is new (I've never been a huge fan of his pasta dishes, having had some quite forgettable ones at Altro Paradiso). French fries - work on them! Dessert was the mousse, and good...

image.thumb.jpeg.b5c6bac86828a5fc684d12e88d5a99fe.jpeg

But how could it not be?

I'm always interested as new places open in my neighborhood.  I'm always wondering, can it become a regular for us?  I doubt this place will be able to fit that bill; it ain't cheap (and my guess is these opening prices will go up - I get it, I understand, but it's already $21 for a Caesar!), it's going to be packed to the gills, I'm pretty sure. And if the table next to me insists on wearing shorts at dinner, while not even removing their stupid baseball caps, I don't know that the crowd fits our bill either.  So - there goes the neighborhood, but hopefully only for a year or two!

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 9

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

2 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

If I said I eat my hotdogs naked it might give the wrong impression.

And again … pictures would put that immediately into the right context 😝

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, weinoo said:

........ while not even removing their stupid baseball caps, I don't know that the crowd fits our bill either.  So - there goes the neighborhood, but hopefully only for a year or two!

Agree totally.

When I was growing up i was taught it was bad manners to wear a hat inside at all, much less at the dinner table!

In fact if you went to a local RSL club (Returned Services League) if you wore a hat in the club it was seen as a mark of disrespect and would often lead to fisticuffs.

Even driving a car, wearing a hat is considered poor form.

• Like 3

Be kind first.

Be nice.

(If you don't know the difference then you need to do some research)

A couple of simple dinners, made easy by access to good products...

image.thumb.jpeg.c5788d4dc17fc765efcb8b8f6e668a56.jpeg

Raffetto's has been making good pasta products for over 100 years. 48 Ravioli for under $10 can't be beat.

image.thumb.jpeg.6d1b8f909c3e70e928f0b2025ca9979a.jpeg

They take probably under 5 minutes before they're ready.

441985615_IMG_70691.thumb.jpeg.0638bfd9fbc3275b0fec3a8c225afe88.jpeg

I make a little roasted tomato sauce with onions, and a fresh vegetable alongside. 

Yesterday, I took a ride out to see these guys again...

IMG_7073.thumb.jpeg.5a36ec548eeca16fe244855f3d4934dd.jpeg

IMG_7074.thumb.jpeg.b50d8a36b05e005ed9068979cf90b096.jpeg

I bought 1/2 lb. of pork and 1/2 lb. of chicken. They give you more like 1.5 lbs. so it's a lot cheaper than it appears. Made some rice, did a stir-fry of broccoli and carrots with lots of ginger, heated up some of the pork and chicken (there's plenty left for dinner tonight!); dinner in 30 minutes.

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Use up the crisper drawer dinner salad before today's CSA box delivery.  Chicken on top.  I wanted to just do a spice rub on the chicken but niece wanted them breaded so that's what I did.  The simple spice rub would have been better.  I made a creamy avocado dressing, again to appeal to my niece's taste.  She's not a huge fan of dinner salads but she ate this one.  The bacon on it might have helped.

19226371_chickensalad.thumb.jpg.237636f8e03839afea29cc93d6b863b8.jpg

• Like 16
  • Delicious 2

1 hour ago, TicTac said:

Were you worried that @JoNorvelleWalker was binging solely on Mai Tai's and Naked Dogs? (again)?

🤣

Yes - while herself nekkid. She'd posted originally as if her dogs were not worthy of eG Dinner

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Haha 3

It’s getting warm here at the Bergstraße … today we survived 32oC, tomorrow it will be 36oC. DW and the little one went for a refreshing afternoon at the nearby lake, while I was consulting colleagues on the finer art of EHS KPI reporting. I sometimes wonder who got the better life here 🤪

Surely, when they returned they were famished and in dire need of carbs, yet in an appropriate (and not too hot) form - Tsukemen to the rescue ! I modelled today’s dinner after the fantastic Shugetsu in HK: salty, full bodied dipping sauce with plenty of dried fish flavor & roasted pork belly, plus eggs marinated in a smoked soy sauce. Of course it didn’t reach the original, but there weren’t any complaints, either 🤗

DDDFCFAA-BC07-45BE-B35D-6A01E8CA43FA.thumb.jpeg.1decef36d090a6ece7a2eb183bcb224a.jpeg

A6F11749-AF7C-4B20-8407-7EC00C261E82.thumb.jpeg.cbe9674dadb31ebdd1b6eac74eb403f7.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 3

I had a craving so I stopped at Shoprite on my way home tonight for pickles and potato salad to have with my Nathan's hotdog.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, lemniscate said:

I swear that is a Marimekko print on that tablecloth.  

Not quite, too symmetrical. But colors certainly hint in that direction. I wouldn’t mind to have the same type of fabric (water repellent, easy to wipe, washing machine compatible, …) with a classic Marimekko theme …

8 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Not quite, too symmetrical. But colors certainly hint in that direction. I wouldn’t mind to have the same type of fabric (water repellent, easy to wipe, washing machine compatible, …) with a classic Marimekko theme …

Me too!  

• Like 1

At 37oC there isn’t much to do outside. Maybe going to the nearby lake (as DW and little one did) or maybe better staying inside and reading (cookbooks, as yours truly did). Regardless, we are having a sleepover guest tonight and that means Pizza & Movie night happens a day earlier than usual. 37oC is not really the environment you want to fire the Ooni up in, but hey … it’s for the kids 🙄

Pies happened quickly, were eaten quickly and everyone retracted inside for Diary of a wimpy kid

Salami (because the overnight guest doesn’t like mushrooms. Or any other topping.)

0BEC8C0D-089A-4214-B0F8-AEE1869A5D44.thumb.jpeg.2ff8715c1cf8162cd4915d90b4aa5fe2.jpeg

(A truly great Italian) Salsiccia, heavy on fennel & garlic, and olives …

0E90D8F5-1DE7-4A4D-9BC5-61D680CF83FE.thumb.jpeg.07e0e16d82510915abb2fcc8f5e5fd95.jpeg

C70C62EF-C701-441A-BE42-74DC2996D919.thumb.jpeg.4e94ad96a6d8802189f0dbe57302b12b.jpeg

Other pies or leftovers thereof …

A9665435-F4D2-43EF-ABCA-CF828022154A.thumb.jpeg.22cf68a85b9279e54318d70f1f822026.jpeg

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 10
  • Delicious 4

Grilled branzino fillets, put them skin side down on foil (DH too nervous to put them directly on the grill), just olive oil, salt, pepper, they were great. Zucchini tossed with baksamic and grated parm after grilling, yams.

• Like 6

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde