Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2022


liuzhou
 Share

Recommended Posts

Jessica wanted to try to make falafel and wanted me to make tzatziki and hummus.  She’d never made falafel (neither had I) and I hadn’t made tzatziki or hummus in a long time, so it was a bit of an experiment.  She was really triumphant!  With only minimal advice from me, she produced some really delicious falafel.  Before frying:

IMG_7911.jpg.4e046b333b23fe85a7967b0aae6efde1.jpg 

 

Frying in the electric skillet (which I love using – I’m ready to sell/give away my electric deep fryer):

IMG_7912.jpg.bcb5b7f1826eb07f141b9d50051aeba1.jpg 

 

Finished:

IMG_7913.jpg.17c02f4feea3eb0f7546ccf10a7b7e89.jpg

They were truly fantastic – crisp on the outside and creamy in the middle, with great chickpea flavor.  Ingredients were chickpeas, onion, parsley, cilantro, garlic, cayenne, cumin, baking powder, and flour.  She also added about 1 lemon’s worth of zest.  I stopped by one of our Middle Eastern/Mediterranean markets to pick up some pita and tabbouleh (I never bother making tabbouleh – we have some great markets here that sell excellent stuff) and also picked up a cheese borek:

IMG_7914.jpg.fb163ced4cc4b8ca563f4dcdd6465962.jpg

 

IMG_7915.jpg.4b0bdc09cf3b1137b77d5c74e49382ca.jpg 

 

Tabbouleh, hummus, tahini sauce, and tzatziki:

IMG_7910.jpg.fa6f73fc00a9a7d2c67ee0940cf946b3.jpg 

 

Raw veggies:

IMG_7909.jpg.38241953d3f5cba9da7725be6cac6005.jpg

  • Like 14
  • Delicious 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, heidih said:

@Kim Shook Falafel and rest appeals. Did Jessica use a soaked and soaked and ground dry chickpea recipe or boiled/canned?

We both used the canned - her for the falafel and me for the hummus.  I've gone to the trouble of using the dried, but haven't found them any better.  Actually, I think the dried can be extremely old and I find that they just don't hydrate as well as I'd like.  Having said that, I'd like to try Rancho Gordo's.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

Spaghetti and meatballs

 

spagbol.thumb.jpg.8b03ba00a1af5faa4850c12aaff96b3c.jpg

My favorite and it looks delicious!

 

It was a really nice day yesterday.  High in the sixties.  It's Ronnie's birthday today so this week has been his choices for meals.  He decided that steaks on the grill would hit the spot last night.

 

thumbnail_IMG_1769.jpg.af9658277f96ef1517dba7865881e169.jpg

  • Like 12
  • Delicious 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Burwell Truffle experiment

 

First:

Fedderson Farms 100% full blood wagyu Burger

Burwell white truffle

Famous Dave's Bun

thats it--s and p given

 

51818897997_05eb1dd174_b.jpg

 

 

I don't thinks these, have the umpff of Italian whites
But the aroma and flavor is pretty awesome, just opening the frig..it permeates
I enjoyed them.. so farming these the first yr. Wonder going forward, once these get started yrs down the line, would these change flavor
Like Grape vines

 

 

 

 

  • Like 12

Its good to have Morels

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Having said that, I'd like to try Rancho Gordo's.  

 

Of course Steve's are good. But they still take a long time to cook; at least longer than his other beans except maybe the really gigantic ones!

 

P. S. that skillet makes me think of my mother, who definitely used one of those; they were quite popular in the 50s and 60s, methinks.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

We both used the canned - her for the falafel and me for the hummus.  I've gone to the trouble of using the dried, but haven't found them any better.  Actually, I think the dried can be extremely old and I find that they just don't hydrate as well as I'd like.  Having said that, I'd like to try Rancho Gordo's.  

the advantage to using dried chickpeas is to be able to both soak and cook them with baking soda which softens the skins and makes a much creamier hummus

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

couple of recent dinners

shrimp with lobster sauce with a spoon of chili crisp added in the center

chicken cutlets in a caper, garlic, shiitake mushroom, parsley sauce

and a natural wine from Eric Pfifferling

IMG_6734.JPG

IMG_6725.JPG

IMG_6727.JPG

  • Like 12
  • Delicious 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Paul Bacino said:

Burwell Truffle experiment

 

First:

Fedderson Farms 100% full blood wagyu Burger

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Have I been eating 50% half blood burgers all this time!?

 

Damn muggles!!!

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, it's another pork chop made on the NFG, but I wanted to post this to show the potatoes.  I microwaved a potato for 5 minutes then cut into wedges.  Sprayed lightly with avocado oil and then put in the NFG along with the chop.  Nice crispy surface and creamy insides.

 

nfg-pork-chop14.jpg.f9f6b2957e8c29120d3ed74679f5d42a.jpg

 

  • Like 13
  • Delicious 2

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My T shirt site: Guy Bling

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Shelby: Ronnie is a lucky guy to have you - on his birthday and on the other 364 days of the year.

 

Tonight, comfort food spree continues. Temperatures dropped again and due to humidity coming down from the forests it has been super foggy. It feels at least 5 oC colder that it is …

 

Cordon bleu, Kochkäse, lingonberry jam, regular & sweet potato fries (commercial), kitchen sink salad. It hit all the notes required 🤗

 

BB1D3363-B0E3-496A-81B8-E5C2A11D3686.thumb.jpeg.a0fc01ca3bc4a211ca0bf3b6ddbdcbe5.jpeg
 

3F814973-A4CC-4E63-848C-BBA1A9AF839E.thumb.jpeg.7ac3da7653dfb033bec9509105f7abdd.jpeg

  • Like 14
  • Delicious 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Jessica wanted to try to make falafel and wanted me to make tzatziki and hummus.  She’d never made falafel (neither had I) and I hadn’t made tzatziki or hummus in a long time, so it was a bit of an experiment.  She was really triumphant!  With only minimal advice from me, she produced some really delicious falafel.  Before frying:

IMG_7911.jpg.4e046b333b23fe85a7967b0aae6efde1.jpg 

 

Frying in the electric skillet (which I love using – I’m ready to sell/give away my electric deep fryer):

IMG_7912.jpg.bcb5b7f1826eb07f141b9d50051aeba1.jpg 

 

Finished:

IMG_7913.jpg.17c02f4feea3eb0f7546ccf10a7b7e89.jpg

They were truly fantastic – crisp on the outside and creamy in the middle, with great chickpea flavor.  Ingredients were chickpeas, onion, parsley, cilantro, garlic, cayenne, cumin, baking powder, and flour.  She also added about 1 lemon’s worth of zest.  I stopped by one of our Middle Eastern/Mediterranean markets to pick up some pita and tabbouleh (I never bother making tabbouleh – we have some great markets here that sell excellent stuff) and also picked up a cheese borek:

IMG_7914.jpg.fb163ced4cc4b8ca563f4dcdd6465962.jpg

 

IMG_7915.jpg.4b0bdc09cf3b1137b77d5c74e49382ca.jpg 

 

Tabbouleh, hummus, tahini sauce, and tzatziki:

IMG_7910.jpg.fa6f73fc00a9a7d2c67ee0940cf946b3.jpg 

 

Raw veggies:

IMG_7909.jpg.38241953d3f5cba9da7725be6cac6005.jpg

 

Dang it, Kim - I've been heading off in the direction of Mexican food and the Wings Cook-Off. Now you have me wanting Middle Eastern! 😄

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Egg Roll in a Bowl tonight. It's not going to be pretty, but we both like it. Husband and I started on weight watchers so cooking has been challenging, but kind of fun. Loading up on veggies so we can both have enough points for a cocktail or a glass of wine or two...

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

Egg Roll in a Bowl tonight. It's not going to be pretty, but we both like it. Husband and I started on weight watchers so cooking has been challenging, but kind of fun. Loading up on veggies so we can both have enough points for a cocktail or a glass of wine or two...

So is it the innards without the wrapper? Older WW cookbooks did baked ones.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, heidih said:

So is it the innards without the wrapper? Older WW cookbooks did baked ones.

Yes, just the innards. Baking it in egg roll wrappers is also an option but I don't feel like fussing that much today!

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Clear out the fridge dinner: baked frittata with spinach and mushrooms, some kumato tomatoes that were getting a bit long in the tooth on the counter, and a couple of slices of Francese bread.

 

57744593_bakedfritatta2.thumb.jpg.1a34c979c7b290c5cd35c33279d72c27.jpg

  • Like 13
  • Delicious 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, mgaretz said:

Yes, it's another pork chop made on the NFG, but I wanted to post this to show the potatoes.  I microwaved a potato for 5 minutes then cut into wedges.  Sprayed lightly with avocado oil and then put in the NFG along with the chop.  Nice crispy surface and creamy insides.

 

nfg-pork-chop14.jpg.f9f6b2957e8c29120d3ed74679f5d42a.jpg

 

 

WTF is an NFG?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ronnie chose goose for birthday dinner

 

thumbnail_IMG_1773.jpg.59f20404ba289e5e3f5e7b650ef366b4.jpg

 

thumbnail_IMG_1775.jpg.4f4dafb12c91d7b36b96c6cd073c980c.jpg

 

Have to show off his green house cherry tomatoes 😁

 

thumbnail_IMG_1772.jpg.b895466fa815edca79a31b8d57c094e1.jpg

 

Salad and pasta to go with

 

thumbnail_IMG_1776.jpg.8ad0525579b8cf328565bc9c77342378.jpg

 

I only make this sheet cake once or twice a year--just a chocolate one with chopped pecans on top.  We tend to inhale it.  I'm told I have to hurry up and freeze a lot of that to deter us lol

 

thumbnail_IMG_1771.jpg.38b06b7e739a67402cf54c9381aa5076.jpg

 

thumbnail_IMG_1777.jpg.62c55e1bd1f6b3b21e88f0db1ce7441f.jpg

 

 

 

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 19
  • Delicious 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...