• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2022

liuzhou

57 minutes ago, heidih said:

@TicTac Relly nice chips. On my way to market in pouring rain shortly - may need to buy potatoes.

Thank you kindly.  Not sure of the variety, but my local farmer (local as in, he comes to the market from his place, so local to me!) has some really cool finger like variety of yellow flesh potatoes that worked well for this. 

• Like 1

As I started making dinner last night, I wondered how many people were making the exact same meal. Turkey stock from Christmas bird carcass, some leftover meat, veggies and egg noodles. I look forward to the turkey soup as much as the freshly cooked bird! 

PXL_20221231_030838367.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.e5acf6c97980a779911f14c2282b9021.jpg

PXL_20221231_032742737.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.bd74eb0305019837c9e1181b7f6b4123.jpg

Tonight's NYE dinner will be NY striploin, lobster and simple salad. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

7 minutes ago, Senior Sea Kayaker said:

We didn't have our own turkey this year as we were guests for a turkey dinner. 

When we do we always make soup and if enough meat pot pies (IMO better than the turkey dinner)/

Ham this year so yellow split pea and ham soup.

Pre Covid I used to do a "friendsgiving" with a group and one lady was the host with best set up. As the day wound down she would look around in dismay and beg people to take leftovers. I would offer to carve and portion out the leftover bird in exchange for taking the carcass home. Gosh I miss that turkey stock.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Senior Sea Kayaker said:

We didn't have our own turkey this year as we were guests for a turkey dinner. 

When we do we always make soup and if enough meat pot pies (IMO better than the turkey dinner)/

Ham this year so yellow split pea and ham soup.

Mmmmm, the meat pies and ham & pea soup are both delicious things also. Do you have any special seasonings or additions for your ham & pea soup? 

I occasionally use a bit of Kirkland Organic No-Salt Seasoning Blend for some soups. It's not essential but it's a nice blend and adds a nice little punch without much effort. I used it this time. It might have been discontinued by Costco, though. Too bad, it was also nice used in other ways. I see it's available at Amazon for several times the price that Costco charged for it. 😞

Son's favourite protein is lamb, which he doesn't get at home. I've been stockpiling lamb chops, but didn't think he'd be home SO soon!

However, someone else must have known about the surprise visit.  @Ann_T had posted rack of lamb, and I was envious.

Then, yesterday, Flashfood, the Superstore app I use, had racks of Australian lamb on sale, regular $29.30, on sale for $14.65! Best before date was Dec. 30th. I paid about slightly more than what @Ann_T paid for one rack. But hers looked to be premium cut!
So I picked up 5 racks, and our eldest son and his son joined us for supper. Coated the racks with whole grain Dijon mustard and fresh rosemary.rapped with foil and roasted for an hour @300F, then quick broil to char the top and fat.
Cooked all five racks, and we ate 4 racks, with taters and peas. My boys were happy!

263399432_RackofLamb9733.jpg.f611dcee96605552614afa184c9cccfe.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 5

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

37 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

Mmmmm, the meat pies and ham & pea soup are both delicious things also. Do you have any special seasonings or additions for your ham & pea soup? 

I occasionally use a bit of Kirkland Organic No-Salt Seasoning Blend for some soups. It's not essential but it's a nice blend and adds a nice little punch without much effort. I used it this time. It might have been discontinued by Costco, though. Too bad, it was also nice used in other ways. I see it's available at Amazon for several times the price that Costco charged for it. 😞

For the pea soup, and it's pretty much the way my French Canadian grandmother, mother and now all my siblings make it: The only really essential components are a good meaty ham bone, herbs such as thyme and sage, lots of black pepper, very finely diced mirepoix (so it melts into the soup) and yellow split peas. 

Always a huge batch and it freezes well.

• Delicious 1

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

3 hours ago, FauxPas said:

As I started making dinner last night, I wondered how many people were making the exact same meal. Turkey stock from Christmas bird carcass, some leftover meat, veggies and egg noodles. I look forward to the turkey soup as much as the freshly cooked bird! 

PXL_20221231_030838367.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.e5acf6c97980a779911f14c2282b9021.jpg

PXL_20221231_032742737.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.bd74eb0305019837c9e1181b7f6b4123.jpg

Tonight's NYE dinner will be NY striploin, lobster and simple salad. 

Looks like my day yesterday! I agree about the soup being a very enjoyable part of the whole thing. I made two pots; one with barley and one with noodles. We are set for soup for quite some time.

• Like 4