• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2022

liuzhou

Someone wanted Italian wedding soup.  I threw together 3 precooked sweet Italian sausages, sliced (essentially meatballs, right?), 1 can of Cento escarole soup + 1 cup of pork bone broth + 1 can water (mixed with the existing leftover 1/2 cup sausage broth), 1/4 cup dehydrated carrot shreds, 1/2 cup DeCecco Acini de pepe (mistake, should have just added 1/4 cup).   Simmered on low in a covered saucier for about an hour.  It was thick with the acini de pepe, but oh so tasty.    A pantry friendly soup.

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

2992447A-DAD1-46B3-A560-3102DBCE2291.thumb.jpeg.a7838d0639cc1567f67ba47b02518cbc.jpeg

chicken Kyiv (purchased) cooked in the air fryer with a side of cheesy broccoli. (No idea about the blue reflections in the top right hand corner.)

We can get a decent frozen chicken cordon bleu from our local Co-op. Like your dinner, one of those and some veg is a quick and welcome dinner some days.

• Like 2

@Steve Irby, I would be happy with just that toast. 

238672113_PrimeRibBonesbraisedDecember19th2022.thumb.jpg.83f2bd2abb1fd3e505d9709da130daf5.jpg
Tonight's dinner.
1103572623_PrimeRibBonesbraisedDecember19th20221.thumb.jpg.325ec68c954e013156a296a1246376bc.jpg
Braised prime rib bones, fall apart tender, served over polenta with rutabaga and Brussels sprouts.

I specifically made this rich beef dish to go with a wonderful Bush Vine Syrah from the Maverick Estate Winery, one of the premier wineries in our Okanagan Valley.
I had been led to believe that this wine was outstanding and it more than lived up to my high expectations. 
  • Like 12
  • Delicious 6

1 hour ago, lemniscate said:

Someone wanted Italian wedding soup.  I threw together 3 precooked sweet Italian sausages, sliced (essentially meatballs, right?), 1 can of Cento escarole soup + 1 cup of pork bone broth + 1 can water (mixed with the existing leftover 1/2 cup sausage broth), 1/4 cup dehydrated carrot shreds, 1/2 cup DeCecco Acini de pepe (mistake, should have just added 1/4 cup).   Simmered on low in a covered saucier for about an hour.  It was thick with the acini de pepe, but oh so tasty.    A pantry friendly soup.

Had to look up the Cento escarole soup - never imagined such a product. Can you elaborate on your dehydrated carrot shreds? Made by you, purchased, how & why? Thanks.

16 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

Braised prime rib bones, fall apart tender, served over polenta with rutabaga and Brussels sprouts.

Wow, great food and I just love those plate/bowls! So perfect for just such a dish.  

• Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

5 hours ago, Anna N said:

They look amazingly good. Are they similar to our Tater Tots? “Tater tots are grated potatoes formed into small cylinders and deep-fried, often served as a side dish.” We buy them frozen and either shallow fry or bake them for serving. 

I've never had German potato croquettes, but in the UK (and Italy), they are mashed potato formed into similar cylinders, breaded and fried or baked. Cheese is sometimes added.to the mash. Recipe and more info here.

• Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1 minute ago, liuzhou said:

I've never had German potato croquettes, but in the UK (and Italy), they are mashed potato formed into similar cylinders, breaded and fried or baked. Cheese is sometimes added.to the mash. Recipe and more info here.

Thanks. I do know potato croquettes but these looks very similar to our tater tots, which is what inspired my question. And he did, I believe, say that they were purchased rather than homemade. So curiosity got the better of me.

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

40 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Thanks. I do know potato croquettes but these looks very similar to our tater tots, which is what inspired my question. And he did, I believe, say that they were purchased rather than homemade. So curiosity got the better of me.

I don't know. German croquesttes may be different. I hope he let's us know.

• Like 1

First dinner was a Culver's double bacon cheese burger. Expensive but good. 

Have to fast after midnight so second dinner was left over ribeye from the SV. Sliced thin, left cold with a light drizzle of soy.  No veg or starch. Just a meat bomb.

• Like 5

My normal chicken soup because the weather was dreary and cold and my wife had her first shingles shot today.  Chicken with broth, onion, carrots, celery, spinach, corn, peas and egg noodles.

chicken-soup9.jpg.a01f70b24436b07d7aff74b22e2c0d99.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 4

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

9 hours ago, Anna N said:

They look amazingly good. Are they similar to our Tater Tots? “Tater tots are grated potatoes formed into small cylinders and deep-fried, often served as a side dish.” We buy them frozen and either shallow fry or bake them for serving. 

Not quite. Tater tots have recently arrived here, but have not been met with much enthusiasm, as similar products (e.g. bite size Rösti) are already available. I like them, though …

Kartoffelkroketten (potato croquettes) are in their simplest form just mashed potatoes, that are formed into logs or balls and fried. They are available pre-fried & frozen and can be easily prepared in a convection oven with pretty good results: crunchy outside and fluffy inside. 

More elaborate versions incorporate eggs and/or cream and drift in the direction of Pommes Duchesse. Occasionally, the croquettes get an extra breading, as in bechamel-based croquettes, but for me this doesn’t really add much (especially for oven-based preparations). 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, heidih said:

Had to look up the Cento escarole soup - never imagined such a product. Can you elaborate on your dehydrated carrot shreds? Made by you, purchased, how & why? Thanks.

I love the canned escarole soup, it's a "feeling under the weather" comfort food for me.  Unfortunately it's not in stock online at the moment.  I hope Cento will keep making it.

I messed around with dehydrating many common ingredients when I was learning my Excalibur.  I shredded lbs of carrots with the food processor and then dehydrated them.  Turns out, I find them super useful, grab a handful for soup, add to rice during cooking, toss in coleslaw/salads, add to dips...etc.  They rehydrate quickly and give the carrot sweetness.  I haven't baked carrot cake with them yet, but now that I think about it............. 

Edited by lemniscate
dupe (log)
  • Like 2

On 12/19/2022 at 2:42 PM, Smithy said:

Not that I've found so far. Good suggestion, though - and with this population size maybe I haven't looked properly. 

Check the Sprouts Market in Yuma. The Tucson stores would carry duck, especially at Christmas, and it looks like the one there should also. 

https://shop.sprouts.com/search?search_term=duck&search_is_autocomplete=true

Edited to add: They may also sell jars of duck fat.  🙂

Edited by FauxPas (log)
  • Thanks 1

On 12/17/2022 at 8:31 PM, Smithy said:

Oh, how I want some of that! Right now! I think I'll have to go on a search for duck...smoked or otherwise...but I also think it will be pointless in my current location.

Around here, for the most part, duck will be found in one of the freezers. Not the smoked duck, of course, but the unsmoked. It is very rare to find fresh duck in a supermarket unless you go to one of the Asian ones.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Around here, for the most part, duck will be found in one of the freezers. Not the smoked duck, of course, but the unsmoked. It is very rare to find fresh duck in a supermarket unless you go to one of the Asian ones.

I was able to pick up 3 duck breasts in cryovac a couple of months ago. I have never seen them at Superstore until I checked their Flashfood Ap (all kinds of items reduced by 50%) They are still in the freezer, and I was just thinking about them a couple of days ago.

• Like 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Temperatures plummeted: -33C and feels like -46C the last couple of days!
Put the oven to good use with baking and suppers:

Leftover Citrus Roast Chicken from a couple of days back, turned into Chicken Pot Pie

906671192_chickenpotpie9591.jpg.035d82ae8cc90d674cc391da31981a82.jpg

Using up some of the assorted lamb chops from Chinese grocery store. Wasn't great for use as chops, so tossed them into a Thai Red Curry stew in the Instant Pot

406867605_CoconutLambStew9597.jpg.f6341f848c5a6bc689b8a11ef6f30a85.jpg

Picked up the Xmas Prime Rib and saw a couple of nice T-Bone steaks: Pan-seared, eaten with roasted beets and air-fryer fingerlings

250098780_T-Bonevegs9602.jpg.3ab58bdb54a32f94b5b3e678512dfd7e.jpg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 5

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

2 hours ago, FauxPas said:

Check the Sprouts Market in Yuma. The Tucson stores would carry duck, especially at Christmas, and it looks like the one there should also. 

https://shop.sprouts.com/search?search_term=duck&search_is_autocomplete=true

Edited to add: They may also sell jars of duck fat.  🙂

That's a great idea, thanks! I drive past that Sprouts fairly often and can check there. I did get my most recent jar of duck fat at a Sprouts, although it might not have been that one.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

It is very rare to find fresh duck in a supermarket

What is the problem with duck? Is it unavailable because people generally don't want it or don't know how to  cook it. Or something else?

Here, it is the most easily available (and the cheapest) major protein and, dare I say, the most delicious. Lends itelf to all sorts of dishes.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

On 12/19/2022 at 9:45 PM, Ann_T said:

@Steve Irby, I would be happy with just that toast. 

238672113_PrimeRibBonesbraisedDecember19th2022.thumb.jpg.83f2bd2abb1fd3e505d9709da130daf5.jpg
Tonight's dinner.
1103572623_PrimeRibBonesbraisedDecember19th20221.thumb.jpg.325ec68c954e013156a296a1246376bc.jpg

I specifically made this rich beef dish to go with a wonderful Bush Vine Syrah from the Maverick Estate Winery, one of the premier wineries in our Okanagan Valley.
I had been led to believe that this wine was outstanding and it more than lived up to my high expectations. 

This looks awesome.  Curious as to what liquid you braise your beef ribs in?