• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2022

liuzhou

Dinner was a 21 oz. ribeye cut from a standing rib roast.  Grilled and served with potato pancakes and salad.  The steak was just the right size for two adults and three dogs😛  Publix has the roast on sale for $5.99/lb so I bought two nicely marbled roast and sectioned into steaks.  Nine steaks went into the freezer along with the back ribs.   I've had the JVR Vac100 for a year and it has been a treat to use. 

319112520_IMG_20221208_182018340_HDR(1).thumb.jpg.ee30b6d0c5a0a1e8df49d951190cc9b5.jpg

IMG_20221208_171119564_HDR.thumb.jpg.67ec9acec687fc09b6418c1396858708.jpg

IMG_20221208_165301991.thumb.jpg.d1a8af49e82fabf0eb49a30da37add0b.jpg

Edited by Steve Irby
pricing error (log)
  • Like 16
  • Delicious 2

5 hours ago, Shelby said:

You've made me need split pea soup now.  Can you share your recipe?  

Well that one was Campbells!  But my recipe is 1/2 lb of split peas, a finely diced onion (or onion powder if you are lazy), about a pound of thick sliced carrots, half a pound of ham chunks, 1/2 tsp liquid smoke, 1/4 cup of cream sherry, salt, pepper, a bay leaf or two and 1 quart of chicken stock.  All but the carrots goes in the IP (8 quart) and cook on high pressure for about 10 minutes, then quick release, add carrots and cook on high pressure for another 6 minutes.  Natural release from there.  The soup will be loose but good on the first night.  It will thicken considerably in the fridge overnight, so I add water when reheating.  Same recipe also works for lentils.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

1 hour ago, Honkman said:

Fusili with radicchio (sautéed and then a bit caramelized/browned), oven-roasted walnuts and ricotta

CB6F8ECD-7418-4572-B5C9-1B574A93B04C.thumb.jpeg.cd39ada526b3ee23f3c6874d2fe21df9.jpeg

Lovely set of flavours - I adore the nuts/cheese/bitter leaves combo. 

• Thanks 1

Last night we all felt like eating a big plate of vegetables, so I made brown rice with roasted broccoli and cauliflower, roasted sticky delicata squash, avocado with ponzu dressing, chopped peanuts, and cilantro.  There are some roasted shiitake mushrooms in the back too, but you cannot really see them.  

931063422_veganplate.thumb.jpg.8898179ef98f45d4b3baa84129e8f4c7.jpg

• Like 15
  • Delicious 6

On 12/8/2022 at 3:43 PM, mgaretz said:

Tuna salad sandwich on toasted rye, with split pea soup.

tuna-sandwich-3.jpg.f0122ccc2796637c58e2776a0c25450c.jpg

Replace that romaine leaf with some potato chips and you have my ideal tuna sandwich, accompanied by my favorite soup.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Steve Irby said:

Publix has the roast on sale for $5.99/lb so I bought two nicely marbled roast and sectioned into steaks.

Standing rib roast for $6/lb???  I don't think I've seen it that cheap in my area for ... maybe 12 years?

21 minutes ago, TicTac said:

I’ve posted similar dinners before, but the fat marbling on a few of the cuts of yesterdays super fresh ocean trout sushi/sashimi was pretty special…

3E1527C8-F4BB-429F-9A31-C1C7690953F9.thumb.jpeg.a84f1fa699de9dcd5f930a3b9a64d95c.jpeg

That is absolutely gorgeous.  Would we know ocean trout by some other name?  Is it in the tuna family?

13 minutes ago, CookBot said:

Standing rib roast for $6/lb???  I don't think I've seen it that cheap in my area for ... maybe 12 years?

That is absolutely gorgeous.  Would we know ocean trout by some other name?  Is it in the tuna family?

Steelhead?

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, CookBot said:

I am no marine biologist but I believe it is in the same family as rainbow trout; this is just the ocean faring cousin.  Very creamy/smooth mouth feel; fairly mild and truly delicious.  One of our favourites.  And at $33/kg a relative bargain compared to say tuna (all sushi quality) at about $55/kg. ($CDN).

• Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, Kerala said:

I don't usually post my mother in law's cooking.

IMG_20221209_235220.thumb.jpg.e3537a8d6854912d09f322b4c4c586d8.jpg

Nepalese chicken curry and potatoes on rice.

I, for one, would love to learn more about Nepalese curry and cuisine.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

24 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

Ii found out that parchment paper can catch fire under the broiler.

You are not alone. I kmew it but had a brain lapse and hit broil on some zucchini slices instead of 425. Quite spectacular...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TicTac said:

I am no marine biologist but I believe it is in the same family as rainbow trout; this is just the ocean faring cousin.  Very creamy/smooth mouth feel; fairly mild and truly delicious.  One of our favourites.  And at $33/kg a relative bargain compared to say tuna (all sushi quality) at about $55/kg. ($CDN).

I would drop $33/kg and smile all the way home. I also realized that I would like a shirt with the same coloration and pattern as that fish.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

@mgaretz – there is just something so satisfying about your tuna salad sandwich and split pea soup. 

Jessica and I went for Vietnamese food at a new, to us, place.  We shared the fried wontons:

1-IMG_1352.jpg.ef2eb757c7af22dd1e35dbe6434fdf8d.jpg

Definitely handmade and very good.

For me, eating at a Vietnamese place is always going to be the Banh Xeo – the “Yellow Pancake” with shrimp, bean sprouts, and roast pork.  This time I tried something I’d never seen before – miniature fried pancakes: Banh Khot:

1-IMG_1353.thumb.jpg.88ccbe7ef144b26d9d23ceac1d43ffb7.jpg

They were little individual pancakes – crisp and tender at the same time – perfectly seasoned and topped with a steamed shrimp.  Really delicious and the dipping sauce was great and NOT HOT!  I did miss the roast pork and bean sprouts, but Jessica got sprouts with her pho and I stole some from her.  I don’t know that it replaces the regular one, but it’s definitely on the rotation!  Jessica got the Pho Hai San – seafood pho:

1-IMG_1354.jpg.ef6a365a29c3e6cb0da6472f7dfe030a.jpg

With shrimp, surimi, and squid.  Excellent broth and lovely, tender seafood. 

Last night none of the three of us were very hungry at dinnertime.  So, we just got our own meals as we got hungry.  I ended up with a very late supper.  Awhile back on someone’s recommendation I got this at Trader Joe’s:

1-pic4.jpg.65136a97edd8035ff1b763d68b915405.jpg

I’d never tried it before - it was excellent – tender and delicate:

1-pic3.jpg.866b7dbaaeaf7684858f18f7c6e00283.jpg

On an ET bagel with cream cheese:

1-pic2.jpg.6adaae716e592cb9d963f6156772416b.jpg

Tonight was a lazy meal of ramen and a ham & cheese omelet:

1-IMG_1371.jpg.15798ea808a9a405bf5fce2736d04eb8.jpg

1-IMG_1370.jpg.cb0f42359a72b1fa3c88569d34140761.jpg

Which looks like some kind of mutant crab.  

• Like 14
  • Delicious 2
  • Haha 1

On 12/8/2022 at 12:21 AM, billyhill said:

Breakfast for dinner.

Jalapeno poppers and scrambled eggs. A breakfast tradition begun in covid lockdown. 

20221207_180849.jpg

Ooh, must try. Can't get jalapenos vrry easily here, so I'll substitute something. Live dangerously!

8 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I, for one, would love to learn more about Nepalese curry and cuisine.

I like it, but I wouldn't even think of cooking it! Not that it is necessarily too complicated.

It's very different to the cooking in Kerala. Much much less heat, with subtle and mysterious notes. They use bitterness more, and sourness. They use fermentation- the pickles are different. The use of mustard oil. Asafetida is much more prominent, and also fenugreek. There are jars of herbs and spices, possibly lichen, that I can't identify in MiL's cupboard. Castrated goat curry, mo:mo, choila, barbecued wild boar... these are a few of my favourite things.

It's very far from a homogenous Nepalese culture and cuisine. My wife's family are from Kathmandu, and within that, they belong to the Newar community who have their own language, customs and cuisine.

As they tell it*, in a traditional extended family the younger women (daughters in law) would each take turns cooking and skivvying for a week before that fell to the next unfortunate in the rota. My dear mother in law refused learn to cook as a child, saying she did not need to: she would employ a cook as she was going to be a doctor. Indeed she became a doctor, and married another. Ironically she ended up in England with no maid and no cook, while her sisters all married into wealth and stayed in Nepal with live-in servants and cooks. Funny how things turn out.

*Caveat lector. "They say..." What do I know?

Edited by Kerala (log)
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2