• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2022

liuzhou

19 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

Hy Vee sells pineapple brats at their meat counter. At first I smoked them but later found out that they taste better with the pineapple flavor left alone.  I think beer adds flavor to regular bratwursts if they are cut in bite size pieces and simmered for around 20 minutes rather than cooked whole. 

I've always seen people do them whole thus my "no difference" remark

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Duvel said:

Seeing the quotation marks, did it come from the black forest (like the one a few kilometers from here down the Bergstrasse) ? Or a black forest (in China) ?

It's from the Black Forest of Qingdao, Shandong Province, north-eastern China. Supposedly, German style.

Shandong was under German control pre-revolution and Qingdao has a load of German architecture.

It also has Tsingtao* Beer made in the brewery built by Germany.

* The old transliteration for Qingdao.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Dinner12062022.jpg

Pork chop was a disappointment.  After my recent sous vide pork loin success I had high hopes.  It was not to be.  Chop was cooked 58C for three hours.  Seemed properly done but the meat was white as a sheet.  (In contrast to my COVID era bedclothes which are more puce, beige, and chartreuse -- but that is a matter best left to the imagination.)

The chop was a skimpy, thin, Canadian, not inexpensive piece of pork that I would not have purchased had I seen it in the flesh.  After searing it was dry and overdone.  I don't blame the quality of the meat, I blame the thinness of the cut.

I suspect it would have faired better being briefly cooked on the Philips grill.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 5

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

11 hours ago, FauxPas said:

This sounds so lovely and the resulting meal looks so delicious. Significant Eater is a lucky woman.  🙂

I did want to ask you about the Muir Glen tomatoes though. I hate the use of calcium chloride in tomatoes and I can't find a Muir Glen product without it, not even the whole tomatoes. I know you used an immersion blender for your braising liquid so it probably wasn't a real issue there, but there is something about the texture of tomatoes canned with calcium chloride that I just can't stand. They taste rubbery to me. Is that just me? Do all the Muir Glen tomatoes use calcium chloride? I kinda get it for diced tomatoes as sometimes people may want to have the tomato pieces stay firm even after cooking (not me, usually) but I really don't get the need for it in whole tomatoes. Do other folks feel the same way? 

10 hours ago, FauxPas said:

Yes! I don't think I can get those particular ones locally (are they pricey where you are?) but I always shop around for my canned tomatoes and avoid anything with calcium chloride. Mine aren't always D.O.P. but I still find some decent ones. It's not easy to find ones that are really good. I wish @Shelby shipped hers. I'd pay a premium for those.  🙂 

10 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I order from Supermarket Italy.  I try to stock up while they are on sale, which I see at the moment that they are:

https://supermarketitaly.com/products/la-valle-dop-san-marzano-peeled-tomatoes-28oz?_pos=10&_sid=8b6386875&_ss=r

US $6.49 for a 28 oz can.

Supermarket Italy sells other D.O.P. brands without added calcium but I have not tried them.

I have probably a dozen different types of canned tomatoes in my pantry.  Including some crazy ones from Gustiamo, some LaValle, Bianco DiNapolis, Muir Glen, Rotel, et al.

Depending on what is being cooked helps the decision as to what type of tomato might get used.  I don't mind the Muir Glen product in a prep like this, knowing I'm going to be pureeing the sauce; it's got a ton of other flavors going on in there.  

The Muir Glen crushed and/or ground tomato products are calcium chloride free; but they're probably using the least appealing tomatoes post harvest.

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

6 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Dinner12062022.jpg

Pork chop was a disappointment.  After my recent sous vide pork loin success I had high hopes.  It was not to be.  Chop was cooked 58C for three hours.  Seemed properly done but the meat was white as a sheet.  (In contrast to my COVID era bedclothes which are more puce, beige, and chartreuse -- but that is a matter best left to the imagination.)

The chop was a skimpy, thin, Canadian, not inexpensive piece of pork that I would not have purchased had I seen it in the flesh.  After searing it was dry and overdone.  I don't blame the quality of the meat, I blame the thinness of the cut.

I suspect it would have faired better being briefly cooked on the Philips grill.

Huh. sure looks pretty.

Thinness wouldn't affect the SV doneness. Perhaps it seared too long for  its size?

Maybe sear first, while it is cold, and then SV for thin stuff?

• Like 1

On 12/3/2022 at 7:43 PM, Honkman said:

Pork burgers spiced with parsley, fennel seeds, paprika, oregano, red pepper flakes and garlic, topped with sautéed green peppers and onion on a brioche bun with roasted garlic aioli

I would love one of your pork burgers.  Looks so good.

@Kim Shook, sounds like a really bad fall.  Can't believe you weren't laid up in bed for a few days.  Hope you are feeling better.

Last night's dinner. 

1134069787_HalibutFishandChipswithtartarsauceDecember5th2022.thumb.jpg.1126416dd012e40eb01dae5011ad6bcb.jpg

Promised Moe Halibut Fish and chips.   

This is actually an easy dinner to cook on a work night. 

1090563973_HalibutFishandChipswithtartarsauceDecember5th20221.thumb.jpg.ffb9a0c089c6e0b4e3b2b5a07decd9df.jpg

Especially since Matt cut the potatoes for me and had them soaking before I got home from work. Made a dill tartar sauce to dip the chips in.

1421511290_GrilledchickenwithspaghettiDecember4th2022.thumb.jpg.86c209ee7f6dd784ef2ff2596ff741cc.jpg

And the night before was grilled chicken breasts with a side of pasta. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 7

14 minutes ago, Paul Bacino said:

Tiz--the season

They have to be Italian chestnuts, right?  Because they're just so much better than imported ones from other countries. (And I've seen, but not bought them, at TJ's).

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

3 hours ago, gfweb said:

Huh. sure looks pretty.

Thinness wouldn't affect the SV doneness. Perhaps it seared too long for  its size?

Maybe sear first, while it is cold, and then SV for thin stuff?

Yes, after sous vide (in the APO) the meat looked properly cooked but it had no color.  Searing overcooked it.  These chops were from amazon:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B091GQVTQK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_fresh_asin_image_o02?ie=UTF8&almBrandId=VUZHIFdob2xlIEZvb2Rz&fpw=alm

I think the proper solution is to cook thicker meat.  However I have one more chop I have to deal with somehow.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

5 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

However I have one more chop I have to deal with somehow.

All they have here in Costa Rica is the thin chops. My best method to cook them has been to sear them quickly on each side and finish them in a 250° oven for 10 to 15 minutes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Yes, after sous vide (in the APO) the meat looked properly cooked but it had no color.  Searing overcooked it.  These chops were from amazon:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B091GQVTQK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_fresh_asin_image_o02?ie=UTF8&almBrandId=VUZHIFdob2xlIEZvb2Rz&fpw=alm

I think the proper solution is to cook thicker meat.  However I have one more chop I have to deal with somehow.

maybe dust it with flour for a quick browning?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, gfweb said:

maybe dust it with flour for a quick browning?

In my experience, flour on a pork chop seems to work better on a thicker, fattier pork chop than on the thin lean ones that we get today. They need a quick hot sear and the flour burns too quickly.

• Thanks 1

Before:

IMG_7758.thumb.jpeg.c7618d09fec396197cfc51e92ddde5a8.jpeg

After:

IMG_7768.thumb.jpeg.c7b750e47cb3aeccf06200aefa61ac12.jpeg

Sheet pan chicken thighs, with 2 kinds of potatoes, carrots, onions, garlic, lemon, duck fat, herbs de Provence.

Endive in the style of puntarelle alla Romana. Garlic bread.

• Like 12
  • Delicious 8

Tasty Travails - My Blog

40 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Sheet pan chicken thighs, with 2 kinds of potatoes, carrots, onions, garlic, lemon, duck fat, herbs de Provence.

Endive in the style of puntarelle alla Romana. Garlic bread.

No vampire visits tonight …

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

@weinoo 

do you feel that pan roasting 

on a pan w/o parchment paper ( the brown stuff is sicker than the white )

gives you better results than on the pan w parchment paper  ?

P.P. does do fond , sometimes it slides right off 

or is it a Personal Historical choice ?

my father did the dishes and my mother did the cooking 

I recall evening watching him scour the pans w a brillo pad

he seemed to find it therapeutic .  OK some of the time .

there is that '' Restaurant Patina ''   quality 

w the black corners etc  that does have its place 

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1