• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2022

liuzhou

10 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

Excellent roasted in either the CSO or Air Fryer.

Can you tell how you roast a Cornish hen in the air fryer, please?

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

Can you tell how you roast a Cornish hen in the air fryer, please?

I cut the back bone out and then cut the bird in half.  Place in an oiled air fryer basket, set to 400F and start checking doneness after about 25 minutes depending on their size.  

Stuffing them sounds good too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think it's possible I could drink the juices in that pan as a beverage.

16 hours ago, Ann_T said:

670776188_ItalianRoastChickenNovember30th2022.thumb.jpg.63de8a474bf53a180f593eed5b90bb33.jpg

Italian Roasted Chicken.  Can be made with just pieces, but tonight I made it with a Cornish Game Hen.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

One of the many dishes for the big Thanksgiving dinner was a roasted chicken. I felt that the chicken should be special.

I went and got a Buddhism Exemption chicken. The best tasting chicken you  can get. 

1. Seasoning spread under the entire skin, including the drumsticks, and the interior for two days in the refrigerator.

2. The chicken was "air sous vided" to 145F, 100%, no cold spots in and out.

3. Then the chicken was roasted in a rotisserie to get all the skin roasted. No soggy skin. Temperature in the rotisserie was controlled to be 165F.

4. When the interior got to be 150F, hot chestnut stuffing was stuffed in the chicken.

5.  A smoke tube was introduced in the rotisserie for two hours.

The chicken was plated and served.

dcarch

1707044571_buddhismExamptionchickenb.thumb.jpg.f6c4d42c127f935292ae22217fc7ecea.jpg

1722459036_buddhismExamptionchicken.thumb.jpg.fb9e70d4a4f48476503e6af9ccf30569.jpg

1745013906_buddhismExamptionchickena.thumb.jpg.a21a5882bc4b4092d159a9f009321058.jpg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 9

1 hour ago, dcarch said:

One of the many dishes for the big Thanksgiving dinner was a roasted chicken. I felt that the chicken should be special.

I went and got a Buddhism Exemption chicken. The best tasting chicken you  can get. 

1. Seasoning spread under the entire skin, including the drumsticks, and the interior for two days in the refrigerator.

2. The chicken was "air sous vided" to 145F, 100%, no cold spots in and out.

3. Then the chicken was roasted in a rotisserie to get all the skin roasted. No soggy skin. Temperature in the rotisserie was controlled to be 165F.

4. When the interior got to be 150F, hot chestnut stuffing was stuffed in the chicken.

5.  A smoke tube was introduced in the rotisserie for two hours.

The chicken was plated and served.

dcarch

1707044571_buddhismExamptionchickenb.thumb.jpg.f6c4d42c127f935292ae22217fc7ecea.jpg

1722459036_buddhismExamptionchicken.thumb.jpg.fb9e70d4a4f48476503e6af9ccf30569.jpg

1745013906_buddhismExamptionchickena.thumb.jpg.a21a5882bc4b4092d159a9f009321058.jpg

Air SV'd?

Wow interesting technique esp the smoke additipn, Stuffing under the skin takes some fonsse to avoid tears - I have small hands so generally elected. You7 made me look upo Buddhist exemption chicken. Not clear results. Were head and feet intact and used?  https://www.nytimes.com/1998/05/05/nyregion/buddha-art-raising-chickens-family-caters-chinese-market-with-farm-fresh-whole.html

1 minute ago, KennethT said:

Air SV'd?

We all know regular sous vide is temperature controlled moving water. "air SV" is basically kind of like a temperature controlled slow moving air dehydrator.

I made a temperature hot air cooker  using a aquarium controller dri9ving a small fan and a 20 watt light bulb.

dcarch

• Like 3

1 minute ago, heidih said:

Wow interesting technique esp the smoke additipn, Stuffing under the skin takes some fonsse to avoid tears - I have small hands so generally elected. You7 made me look upo Buddhist exemption chicken. Not clear results. Were head and feet intact and used?  https://www.nytimes.com/1998/05/05/nyregion/buddha-art-raising-chickens-family-caters-chinese-market-with-farm-fresh-whole.html

Yes. Head, feet and gizzard all used for stock. Very flavorful stock. 

dcarch

• Like 1

Ichiran Ramen, thanks to the inspiration from @Duvel...

IchiranRamen12022022.jpg

I possess a tolerance for salt and spice, so I employed all of both packets in the kit.  Very good if not absolutely the best ramen* I have had from amazon.

What was absolutely the best ever was the APO egg.  Press button on the anova app.  Add egg to oven.  Remarkable.

*What was the best ramen:

(eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

Much cheaper than Ichiran too.

• Like 9
  • Delicious 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

19 hours ago, dcarch said:

Not that I believe they're the best tasting or textured birds by any stretch of the imagination - I prefer a Joyce or Sasso bird.

However...https://www.fsis.usda.gov/policy/fsis-directives/6030.1

B.  An establishment may apply for an exemption to slaughter or process poultry products according to recognized religious dietary laws.  As examples, FSIS has previously approved these exemptions under the provisions of the PPIA:

1. Processing in accordance with Buddhist religious beliefs that require the poultry to be eviscerated, with head and feet intact;

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

38 minutes ago, mgaretz said:

Cold and rainy weather calls for chicken soup.  With onion, carrots, celery, peas, corn, spinach and egg noodles.

chicken-soup8.jpg.43123d99dfe34864c96ddb74806c38af.jpg

Very comforting looking bowl of soup (though I'd want more broth) Egg noodles seem under-rated. Toothsome if not overcooked and they nestle in the souo spoon well. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Holy cow! With all the rules and regulations, it's a wonder that food ever gets to the marketplace.

My dad's daily rant when he was in wholesale meat butchery & packing was "that @#$%& inspector (as he clutched his after work highball) today flagged X amount of meat for  Y stupid reason". The onsite FDA guys in the plant observing and with power.

• Sad 1