• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2022

liuzhou

my friend 

from woods Hole , who rarely posts 

went Clam-ing + :

he has a set-up

image_67232513.thumb.jpg.95aaf7c9917532ba3ae2c523678a2381.jpg

image.thumb.jpeg.60d4517c8966382783384b4dc0878b62.jpeg

there were a few oysters 

image_67188481.thumb.jpg.9f7714f711bc89810d146964b7bf4b24.jpg

he pronounced the oysters very good , and briny 

N.B.:  that's probably a very decent white he is having w the oysters 

IMG-0287.thumb.jpg.d183bdf0877e84c95d726c0b0e39496f.jpg

Clams mise 

w pasta 

IMG-0288.thumb.jpg.a2ac39e94539aeff80d4166e43189ff2.jpg

said is was delicious.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

Yesterday was a day inside as it rained heavily most of the day (good thing the ground hasn't frozen yet).

Late lunch or early dinner: pork patty sandwich with aged cheddar, sauteed cepes, hot peppers and mustard. Arugula and tomato salad and paired with a Cape Breton oatmeal stout.

DSCN0406.thumb.JPG.249b8b24d0d267b736a38edd77c7268b.JPG

• Like 8
  • Delicious 2

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

@Senior Sea Kayaker 

like the idea of Big Spruce.

in my area there are two local  brewerys

one town over :

https://jacksabby.com

I have their Hoponius Union

and 

https://www.exhibit-a-brewing.com

which Ive not been to

like the idea of an oatmeal stout !

Ill look into it

than ks

• Like 1

Pinsa & movie night …

My conclusion is that Pinsa is „just another flatbread“ and not some groundbreaking new product, using a dough made from wheat flour, rice flour and soy or chickpea flour (I used the latter), long cold ferment (48h) and they recommend sourdough (I used a preferment). Everything else is pretty normal. It is stretched more oblong than round (probably to differentiate it more from pizza), which was tricky for me because I am very OCD about round pizzas. But luckily, it was a Pinsa 😜

Mushroom and crispy bacon

FAB2DD0A-4CC9-4B04-B290-4B5825C42E6E.thumb.jpeg.ffe1f1925bd956949bee7ef4102c6a3d.jpeg

Artichoke and anchovy

78F82527-0623-45AC-BD96-29F1A6E232D2.thumb.jpeg.3be8d39af22a47ab1b337a93de4ceb8d.jpeg

Chicken, chorizo and mushroom

798F8232-ECB7-40D4-B804-F042F4747E4A.thumb.jpeg.db56b9cf2ad955ffea8c80e4afe0c6ef.jpeg

Crust was airy, chewy and a bit crunchy. Taste was good, yet the chickpea flour was noticeable (but not in an unpleasant way). 

36023942-E8AF-4168-9B2D-D8578E48E33D.thumb.jpeg.c14bbe487b61330a1c6a5523fa2c3af2.jpeg

The other two were not noticing there were not eating pizza, but that was also the fault of the exciting movie based on Michael Ende‘s „Jim Knopf und die Wilde 13“ …

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 4
  • Haha 1

@Duvel 

excellent

Pizza // Focaccia-ish ?

excellent  dough

good toppings

craft=ish enough baking ?

terrific.

Movie ?  to boot?

Im going back to that French  movie 

Egypt , maybe some Romans 

Ill watch it in French 

and enjoy the nuance

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had a small piece of grilled salmon left over from earlier in the week so I prepared it in the style of Maryland crabcakes.  I used a recipe from Craig  Claiborne's Favorites from the NYT, Series I.  Lot's of great recipes in those two series of recipes and recollections.  The salmon cake was served over Potatoes Anna with remoulade sauce.  The salad was watermelon radish and mixed greens in a light vinaigrette. 

292212067_IMG_20221113_121927210(1).thumb.jpg.ad11930da3df259e41b4a8bf40f956ca.jpg 

White chocolate amaretto cheesecake in the process of being inhaled!

IMG_20221113_151219243.thumb.jpg.b3119aa9674d3334516cba7fe8884822.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

Charlie and a friend saw a Malaysian recipe on TV and asked me to make it.  I went to 4 stores over a two day period and found most of the ingredients.  l used a couple of suggested substitutes. It is called Beef Randang.  It is spicy and uses toasted coconut and coconut milk and tamarind.  The picture isn't all that photogenic though.

image.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Delicious 3

Just now, Norm Matthews said:

Charlie and a friend saw a Malaysian recipe on TV and asked me to make it.  I went to 4 stores over a two day period and found most of the ingredients.  l used a couple of suggested substitutes. It is called Beef Randang.  It is spicy and uses toasted coconut and coconut milk and tamarind.  The picture isn't all that photogenic though.

image.jpeg

I love rendang.  It actually originated in Indonesia (Western Sumatra to be exact) but has since moved all over.  Yours looks like a good Malaysian version - the Sumatran version is typically drier - like almost no liquid dry.... both are tasty.  I'm curious as to the ingredients you couldn't get (I'm not surprised though) and what you used as a sub.

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1

18 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

image.jpeg

You are a champion of a dad. Yes intensely flavorful and more dry than one would expect from the region. 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

Beef Randang

Considered by some to be one of the world’s finest dishes. You are an amazing father.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On 11/2/2022 at 4:06 PM, Shelby said:

Well.  This sent me to google.  Amazon says my order of a 5 pack will be here around Nov. 22nd :) 

enabler

$52. here on Amazon.ca. Best I ask my friend in Japan to bring me some next time he's in Canada. 🤪

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

I love rendang.  It actually originated in Indonesia (Western Sumatra to be exact) but has since moved all over.  Yours looks like a good Malaysian version - the Sumatran version is typically drier - like almost no liquid dry.... both are tasty.  I'm curious as to the ingredients you couldn't get (I'm not surprised though) and what you used as a sub.

The recipe said to cook it until it was dry but it also said to keep it at a simmer while covered. After an hour, it was still quite soupy so I uncovered it for the last half hour and it still was not dry but I didn't want to cook it any longer, it was quite tender by then.  

One ingredient I could not get was kerisik. The sub was to get some dry coconut and toast it. I could not find Kaffir lime leaves (although I might have seen them in the Asian market but couldn't read the labels) so I used lime zest instead.  I found tamarind in the local Mexican market.  I'm not sure I did what I should to extract maximum flavor though.  PS The other ingredient I could not find was galangal. I substituted a combination of  fresh ginger and dry turmeric.

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Tonight's dinner inadvertently sat out overnight.  Keep this in mind should you never hear from me again.

That alone is not sufficient information to assess the danger you are in: was it more of a Mars bar or rather a piece of sashimi ?

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

59 minutes ago, Duvel said:

That alone is not sufficient information to assess the danger you are in: was it more of a Mars bar or rather a piece of sashimi ?

Two mai tais and some peanuts? Or the three hotdogs from the back of the fridge?

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

@Duvel great looking crust. 

@Steve Irby, love the way you served your fish cake.  Great photo.

595485196_PorkChiliVerdeNovember13th2022.thumb.jpg.14e736dcb2ab4bb1483fe0c01e2779f8.jpg
Last night's dinner. Pork Chili Verde. Served over cheese filled tortillas.
Made the chili before leaving for work yesterday morning.
Matt cooked the black beans for me in the Breville PC.
So dinner didn't take long to put together after I got home from work. Just had to make the dough for the flour tortillas and let it rest for 30 minutes, and make the salsa and the guacamole.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 4

Vegetable soup with a chicken stock, parmesan rind, and carrot juice base.  Veggies were more carrots, fennel, kale, and spinach.  I added some anellini pasta and parmesan cheese to bulk it out.  Everyone joked that we were eating a healthier version of spaghettios.  

557903551_veggiesoup.thumb.jpg.ab820fa2973bff5f2a11da6135b19690.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 2