• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2022

liuzhou

3 hours ago, kayb said:

God help us. I will eat raw oysters with the best of them, but a Drago’s chargrilled is a thing of beauty. I have been known to eat a dozen for an entree, another dozen for a main, and split a dozen fo dessert.

Haha - same experience. I had been to Drago's before so told my husband we have to get the oysters for an appy. Then there were another dozen and yes, there was a 3rd and that was dinner and it was divine!

• Like 3

Mexican Pork Tinga Rice and Zucchini with Cream - Pork tinga was made by braising diced pork butt with onion, garlic, chipotle in adobo, oregano and thyme in a mixture of chicken broth and tomato sauce in the oven and for the last 30 minutes you add and cook rice so that it nicely soaks up the flavors. As the side vegetable dish we used a Diana Kennedy recipe where you throw together diced zucchini, tomatoes, peppercorn, cilantro, mint, cinnamon stick, cloves, chili and creme fraiche and simply cook it for 30 minutes.

0A37AE05-F4AD-4482-8DEC-C838914DA662.jpeg

• Like 15

5 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

@TicTac – that fish sandwich looks fantastic. I’ve been craving fried fish for a couple of weeks.  What is that crispy looking thing just under the top of the bun?  It looks too thin to be another fish filet.

@Steve Irby – absolutely gorgeous oyster meal.  Talk to me about pecorino romano cheese on grilled oysters, please!  I am absolutely NOT an anti-cheese on fish person, but the only time I’ve had cheese (parmesan) on oysters it didn’t work at all.  It totally overwhelmed the sweetness of the oysters and added an odd saltiness to them.  Maybe they just used too much? 

We had Mr. Kim’s mom over for dinner Friday night.  The table:

1-IMG_1043.thumb.jpg.d9d12d024b5be747c09046765832b6e8.jpg 

I love setting a pretty table, but I’m pretty rusty at this multi-course entertaining business.  I really have a hard time getting into a rhythm.  And, as everyone knows, our kitchen is VERY small, so when Jessica comes in at the last minute to make her contribution and my MIL decides I’m not stirring my stir fry enough, I get a little crazed 🤪

Pre-dinner nibbles were cheese straws, corn nuts (from nuts.com – , and Smokehouse almonds. 

Boston lettuce with blood orange segments, marinated red onions, candied pecans, and a blood orange vinaigrette:

1-IMG_1045.thumb.jpg.750ed6579d9d839d13ad4d2092d1e50a.jpg

Monkfish with miso-mustard cream sauce on olive oil dressed watercress, stir fried snow peas and bean sprouts, and Jessica’s miso potatoes:

1-IMG_1047.jpg.e4d17a308338a6f7a602eb7cac5c4a34.jpg

Everything turned out pretty well.  I think that the fish was slightly over cooked.  It seemed to jump up in the last minute.  But it all tasted great.  Jessica’s potatoes were excellent:

1-IMG_1046.jpg.54e1c6f25c0bf3c0b1ad954de58b78ea.jpg

Dessert was caramel apple crème brûlée:

1-IMG_1049.jpg.320e22f22a6ac105f0f181c2ac80d6d3.jpg

The top looks burnt, but it wasn’t. 

My mom had a set of Desert Rose dishes.  That brings back memories.  I think my sister has them now.

• Like 1

Many years ago a church group I was in was planning Thanksgiving dinner for the congregation.  I was assigned the green bean casserole. I didn't know what that was but when I looked it up, I was offended that they wanted me to do a recipe using canned cream of mushroom soup.  I had a great, from scratch, James Beard recipe for mushroom soup but it was thickened with egg yolks, so I am sure it would curdle if used in an oven-bake recipe.  i held my nose and made it anyway.

Now much later when my son asked me to make a dump recipe using canned soup, somehow it didn't bother me. He asked for it again today.  Chicken thighs with mushroom soup, sour cream and dry onion soup mix... Well I say it didn't bother me but it bothers me that it doesn't bother me.

IMG_0316.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 6
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 5

7 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

@TicTac – that fish sandwich looks fantastic. I’ve been craving fried fish for a couple of weeks.  What is that crispy looking thing just under the top of the bun?  It looks too thin to be another fish filet.

Thank you Kim.  Good eye.  I whisked one egg and used 1/2 of it as a binder for the fish patty - not wanting to waste anything, I fried the remainder in the pan that I used to toast the bun in and just threw it on top.  Neutral'ish flavour, so it worked.  :)

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, kayb said:

God help us. I will eat raw oysters with the best of them, but a Drago’s chargrilled is a thing of beauty. I have been known to eat a dozen for an entree, another dozen for a main, and split a dozen fo dessert.

Years ago my wife and I spent a few days in New Orleans. One night, all we did was go down the list of "best oysters in NOLA" and get a dozen at each place. Drago's was the clear winner. And don't forget to use your bread to soak up all the lovely juices/butter in the tray!

• Like 3

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

17 hours ago, kayb said:

13 hours ago, MaryIsobel said:

Haha - same experience. I had been to Drago's before so told my husband we have to get the oysters for an appy. Then there were another dozen and yes, there was a 3rd and that was dinner and it was divine!

4 hours ago, pastameshugana said:

Years ago my wife and I spent a few days in New Orleans. One night, all we did was go down the list of "best oysters in NOLA" and get a dozen at each place. Drago's was the clear winner. And don't forget to use your bread to soak up all the lovely juices/butter in the tray!

Just so people understand Drago's...

image.thumb.jpeg.b2aa293f79e5571d67108ff1584f3102.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.9623ec06d0ba59387bf24d980d8d8773.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Took this (EDIT: I DON'T THINK IT WAS) grass-fed NY Strip out of the freezer a couple of days ago...

68955862760__3E9ABD79-1607-4D79-8A96-3F427BAB8BCB.thumb.jpeg.38510a9ddf42540aebda65c3545d8fa4.jpeg

And as is my wont, cooked it on the stove top...

IMG_7619.thumb.jpeg.986964cfd3b2230271e4ff4d5c2d9c22.jpeg

While it was resting, with the 2nd half of the truffle purchase, made some truffle mashed potatoes (note the Foley fork!)...

IMG_7623.thumb.jpeg.18340d2cd910b4fdafaf03fb9f1df811.jpeg

Then "carved" the steak...

IMG_7624.thumb.jpeg.1f5b0a498c0fbc2cd9b7e0d09266a61e.jpeg

Voila...

301312043_IMG_76262.thumb.jpeg.ee413e3787c5bdb08c759feacea94284.jpeg

Aforementioned steak with pan sauce, truffle mashed potatoes, green beans with shallots. Prison plating.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 15
  • Delicious 5

Tasty Travails - My Blog

3 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@weinoo 

that steak , and plate of food

look delicious.

NY Grass  must be fattier than in N.E.

wouldn't see that sort of marbling 

w GF NE Cow.

Well, now that I think more about it, maybe it was simply local Heritage meat, not grass fed? I don’t remember where I got it!

Tasty Travails - My Blog

You can't see it, but under the sauce is more SV'd chicken stuffed with mozz, spinach and salami.

thumbnail_IMG_3361.jpg.f45b9583cc4c59b765533a2811c05d2b.jpg

In going through old threads I saw that I used to do poached eggs in the IP.  I forgot how good that works.  

thumbnail_IMG_3365.jpg.0b76cbab9c5ada1199aa89b35195e7e2.jpg

I can't remember how old I was when I read The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis --maybe 7?  Anyway, when I read about the Turkish Delight that the White Witch enticed Edmund with I thought "Sheesh, this stuff must be amazing!"  and I've wanted to try it ever since.  Zingerman's had some so I ordered:

thumbnail_IMG_3370.jpg.e6dc87895e869c6fbe4705280a0fd5d1.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3372.jpg.1d3637912d4edcb71cfe5ae22599d510.jpg

I liked it.  I thought it would be a bit more...pillowy? for lack of a better word but it's good.  Maybe not good enough to throw my family under the bus like Edmund did though.....

Also ordered Zingerman's corned beef.  Potato salad to go with.

thumbnail_IMG_3373.jpg.d61431ba620c44245fc863d2baa96b67.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3375.jpg.44ae91da1816a23e617626d7d437a8b8.jpg

Next night was cornbread--cheese and green chiles in there and venison spaghetti red.

thumbnail_IMG_3381.jpg.26f3bd21657bd71bc4dcb4aaa5b1e4fc.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3382.jpg.da2e3efc8933552a038b392ef068b75f.jpg

Yesterday Ronnie wanted Philly cheese steaks so I SV'd a sirloin roast from from frozen at 132F for 6 hours or so.  Sauteed onions and yellow peppers...sliced and diced the meat and added it to the veggies....and covered in Cheez Whiz :)

thumbnail_IMG_3389.jpg.0efe0d4778cf1d29857d90c2e8aeafad.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3392.jpg.1bcc75e6620f28079677a50777b9554f.jpg

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 10
  • Delicious 5

18 hours ago, Norm Matthews said:

Chicken thighs with mushroom soup, sour cream and dry onion soup mix... Well I say it didn't bother me but it bothers me that it doesn't bother me.

A classic dinner from my childhood.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, weinoo said:

Well, now that I think more about it, maybe it was simply local Heritage meat, not grass fed? I don’t remember where I got it!

The last grass fed steak I had I couldn't chew, animal kingdom equivalent of kale.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

18 hours ago, Norm Matthews said:

Many years ago a church group I was in was planning Thanksgiving dinner for the congregation.  I was assigned the green bean casserole. I didn't know what that was but when I looked it up, I was offended that they wanted me to do a recipe using canned cream of mushroom soup.  I had a great, from scratch, James Beard recipe for mushroom soup but it was thickened with egg yolks, so I am sure it would curdle if used in an oven-bake recipe.  i held my nose and made it anyway.

Now much later when my son asked me to make a dump recipe using canned soup, somehow it didn't bother me. He asked for it again today.  Chicken thighs with mushroom soup, sour cream and dry onion soup mix... Well I say it didn't bother me but it bothers me that it doesn't bother me.

IMG_0316.jpg

When I used to make this years ago I put uncooked rice underneath.  It was good.

• Like 1