• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2022

liuzhou

@JoNorvelleWalker & @Dejah  Sorry I didn't answer sooner. I thought I had.  I've never had FuYu but regular tofu, when I try to use it, is a non food item. It is Ok when someone else who knows how to use it and Charlie uses it in Kimchi stew,  but if I have to make a choice for myself, tofu will lose against anything else.

Speaking of Charlie, he made dinner tonight. It is Dak kalbi, a spicy chicken dark meat recipe. 

IMG_0300.jpg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

On 10/25/2022 at 7:17 PM, Shelby said:

Your are amazing!!!  I know the recipe is on your blog.  I'm craving these.    Pineapple chunks or tofu on the side?

Thank you.  Sorry,  I must have spaced out or got distracted when I started to answer before.  I'd go for pineapple.  Not a tofu fan.

3 hours ago, KennethT said:

A long time ago, I saw an interview with Popeye's CEO - there was a recent trans-fat ban in NYC and he was being interviewed to ask how the ban would affect them.  He answered simply "it doesn't - we've never used trans-fats, we've always fried our chicken in lard"... which is one of the reasons why it is so tasty!!!!

That's the first time I've heard that.  I wonder if it's still true?

1 hour ago, Norm Matthews said:

Thank you.  Sorry,  I must have spaced out or got distracted when I started to answer before.  I'd go for pineapple.  Not a tofu fan.

I'm still a bit confused...was it indeed pineapple in your dinner or not?

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/163549-dinner-2022/?do=findComment&comment=2363070

I confess I am unashamedly a tiki fan.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On 10/27/2022 at 5:22 AM, Kim Shook said:

@&roid – can you direct me to that cabbage recipe, please?  It looks amazing.

super simple - bagged up with some butter and salt then SV for four hours at 85°C.

After it’s done I pan fried it to crisp up in some melted butter. Id infused the butter with some juniper and black pepper but I’m not sure I could really taste that in the finished product. 

Inspiration came from this thread

Edited by &roid (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, CookBot said:

That's the first time I've heard that.  I wonder if it's still true?

Lard always makes deep frying better! It was hard when we had the restaurant. Switching to veg shortening just didn't produce the same results with batter, chicken wings, etc

• Like 3

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

On 10/26/2022 at 9:06 PM, Ann_T said:

I wish I could taste this.   Makes my mouth water.

Crushed peppercorns with the mortar & pestle.

Thanks, Ann_T. The stuffed aubergine turned out nicely.
Your beautiful steak gave me idea for our supper last night.

A couple of beef tenderloins grilled on top of stove cast iron pan.  Baked taters and veg. We love the McCormick's Green peppercorn gravy, made with only water and not milk and water.

Tossed in a few shrimp at the end.
                                                                                                      1273269364_SurfTurf9156.jpg.510952aafc0a23d0004f895a8dab7f17.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

47 minutes ago, Dejah said:

Lard always makes deep frying better! It was hard when we had the restaurant. Switching to veg shortening just didn't produce the same results with batter, chicken wings, etc

Understandable.

I searched all over the Popeye's nutrition info and there's no indication of what they're using to fry with.  But a little digging into some interviews with execs seems to confirm that they've switched from lard to vegetable oil, and they're bragging about their searches for sustainably produced palm oil. 

Pretty sure that's not palm oil in their red beans & rice, though.  But there's something going on in there besides beans and rice.  Here's a clipping from their nutrition site.  The RB&R have more than 55% of their calories from fat, while the regular Cajun rice has only 25% calories from fat.

blank.jpg

Edited by CookBot (log)
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, CookBot said:

Understandable.

I searched all over the Popeye's nutrition info and there's no indication of what they're using to fry with.  But a little digging into some interviews with execs seems to confirm that they've switched from lard to vegetable oil, and they're bragging about their searches for sustainably produced palm oil. 

Pretty sure that's not palm oil in their red beans & rice, though.  But there's something going on in there besides beans and rice.  Here's a clipping from their nutrition site.  The RB&R have more than 55% of their calories from fat, while the regular Cajun rice has only 25% calories from fat.

blank.jpg

Interesting.  I hadn't heard that they switched to veg oil.  Doesn't help your quest though!

47 minutes ago, CookBot said:

No, it certainly doesn't.

Slightly more helpful - I wouldn't be surprised if they use a range of modernist thickeners and/or modified starches to give it that mouthfeel.  But traditionally, rbar is made with pork fat.

• Like 1

Had longer pieces of pork ribs left over from making Black Bean Garlic ribs earlier in the week.
Had plans to make Pork Rib Stew with Tofu sticks (Foo Jook) but got busy with other stuff.

So, marinated them with Meen See (Brown Bean Sauce) and cornstarch, thrown into a metal pan with a bit of chicken broth, covered with foil, and baked at 350F for 1.5 hours. Juicy tender finger licking ribs. Steamed some broccoli and stir-fried with a few shrimp.

1295978203_MeenSeeRibs9164.jpg.f57e1835bef016fe84f71a5ec5cde9d5.jpg

1613569580_ShrimpBroccoli9160.jpg.1258e8739163cfb9c558867c97ba18ad.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Picked up some cheeses during our weekend shopping - and baked some bread to go with it …

“Regular“

FDEE538E-B13C-4C02-912D-3B54EB209FE1.thumb.jpeg.5ae8c93e871b4c4501e872053d243998.jpeg

“Walnut“

F52311F4-CED0-498B-AB27-9A51FC90E51E.thumb.jpeg.af0819b41ffb2ff09d69c69cd97656ba.jpeg

CE7513FB-19E9-4990-8A9B-2A12EC2A689C.thumb.jpeg.d509de49e4985fbb84120feb24f2a452.jpeg

Picandou, Fourme d‘Ambert, Munster Hansi, goat cheese roll and Etorki. Some Choriço, Fuet and slices of Edam to go with it …

C47DE881-DB5D-401C-833E-5F8676ECBDED.thumb.jpeg.4004a802cd2c06904ec7ff5f4654c3d5.jpeg

Pickles …

36C41E4B-9543-43F7-9951-45FD4410DA6C.thumb.jpeg.5170d02bbbc1c8166e74c37a39d2e572.jpeg

Oh, and some Tête de Moine 🤗

4821C37A-B2E2-4F9E-92DD-B31FB11A8587.thumb.jpeg.4bf35e4ee030b0ef678d2526a6cd5fa2.jpeg

Together with what we call Zechwein or „heavy drinking wine“*. Cheap, local, easy drinking …

FC094413-9AE2-403E-BA20-064E5C9A860A.thumb.jpeg.dffb15918142ad4bb16c469520f43934.jpeg

No complaints !

—-

* which is just an easy excuse to finish the bottle.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 7
  • Haha 1

Absolutely beautiful bread Duvel!  What is that device for the cheese you are using? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

2 minutes ago, Marlene said:

Absolutely beautiful bread Duvel!  What is that device for the cheese you are using? 

Thanks 🙏

It‘s called a girolle, used typically to shave off thin circular shavings of certain hard cheeses. I use it only for Tête de Moine …

• Thanks 3

20 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

Charlie had friends over and I made a taco bar.

image.jpeg

image-1.jpeg

love that taco dish!

• Like 1

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.