• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2022

liuzhou

This evening, final pizza of 3.  New York style from Modernist Pizza - dough recipe makes enough for 3 days worth.

Just had to take a picture because it turned out so nice :)

725784030_20221024_170840(1).thumb.jpg.6c3d214d8e6188dfad20334cba662247.jpg

20221024_171100.thumb.jpg.2d1cea51d33fcbbf1265e6c896a5b0cd.jpg

My side is Sausage and my wife has Pineapple...  neither of us will eat the other's side :)

Edited by Raamo
Words (log)
  • Like 13
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 1

Diced Chicken and Clean out the veg drawer Stir-fry. On our old restaurant menu, this would have been #32, but with almonds. Had none,but I had lots of pecans. Tossed a couple of links of Chinese sausage in with the rice.

2025249398_DicedChickenVeg9116.jpg.504d4aaae06e93bd19568c607ff7bb14.jpg

Had a heavy lunch of biscuits with the clotted cream and rhubarb jam                  

1181559570_EnglishCreamTea9133.jpg.ddaac94795a3aec1227ff1464ddaa3ea.jpg

So we had a late supper: stir-fried mixed bell peppers, Shishito peppers, and sugar snap peas in black bean garlic sauce, topped with sauteed pickerel fillet with ginger.

2085229600_PickerelBlackBeanPeppers9139.jpg.f48e5a9ec4b145facc125089ed754e09.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 3

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

2 minutes ago, Dejah said:

Diced Chicken and Clean out the veg drawer Stir-fry. On our old restaurant menu, this would have been #32, but with almonds. Had none,but I had lots of pecans. Tossed a couple of links of Chinese sausage in with the rice.

2025249398_DicedChickenVeg9116.jpg.504d4aaae06e93bd19568c607ff7bb14.jpg

Had a heavy lunch of biscuits with the clotted cream and rhubarb jam                  

1181559570_EnglishCreamTea9133.jpg.ddaac94795a3aec1227ff1464ddaa3ea.jpg

So we had a late supper: stir-fried mixed bell peppers, Shishito peppers, and sugar snap peas in black bean garlic sauce, topped with sauteed pickerel fillet with ginger.

2085229600_PickerelBlackBeanPeppers9139.jpg.f48e5a9ec4b145facc125089ed754e09.jpg

Is that what you called it on your restaurant menu?

• Haha 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

7 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Is that what you called it on your restaurant menu?

🤪😄 No. It would have been "Almond Gai Ding". It's just what I called it this time as I was using up various veg along with what would have been in #32. And NO almonds! 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Last night my husband had to go to a football game for work, so my sister, niece and I had "clear out the bits and bobs in the fridge" miso ramen bowls.  I used a bunch of collard greens and some carrots from my CSA for vegetables along with the usual ginger, garlic, chiles, cilantro etc.  My niece had hers with a leftover pork chop from her dinner the other night:

1797714671_porkramen.thumb.jpg.4a9a78e88ad023bf817d9ae33f6f2694.jpg

and my sister and I had ours with crispy sesame mushrooms (mushrooms also from the CSA)

540749211_mushroomramen2.thumb.jpg.0534c1a3b7ae51637e0555f25abe9776.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 5

Ronnie got his teeth back!  

In anticipation of that, on Sunday evening I started SV'ing some beef short ribs.  I did them at 155F for 24 hours.  Turned out well.

thumbnail_IMG_3293.jpg.906e107c20a0a0293f69f645a5af7ac6.jpg

Salad kit--Asian

thumbnail_IMG_3290.jpg.c94ed5429e806e0d169c603691720637.jpg

Another big thanks to @Kim Shookfor the great idea of going back and reading old dinner threads.  I've seen so many things that I've (stupidly) forgotten about even though I loved them.  Prime example:  These potatoes that @Mmmpomps (I miss her....hope she's doing well) posted about in 2018.  The recipe was given to her by her Aunt in England.  Some of the best potatoes I've ever made.

thumbnail_IMG_3294.jpg.8e8ea9430242689b0b7d5c4cbcc97084.jpg

Broccoli and cheese and tomatoes to go with.

thumbnail_IMG_3295.jpg.4fbd2188c1aa09ff29240ec0d8b79cb7.jpg

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 10
  • Delicious 3

24 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

Last night my husband had to go to a football game for work

Sorry he had to go to that game.

I was walking by this place (Pino's Prime Meats), on my way home from Corner Bistro...

IMG_8007.thumb.jpeg.4390f33defd60b2bc3995da9307d647f.jpeg

One of the last old school butcher shops. Purchased two nice pork rib chops, hacked off a whole roast for me.  I actually took the chops off the bone when I got home, in order to use the bones in a pot of beans I wanted to serve with the pork.

IMG_8011.thumb.jpeg.7e05e6438ebc638075f6d5c452831d28.jpeg

Sliced pork chop, RG Bayo chocolate beans, and roasted Romanesco.

Leftovers may go into a ramen, a la @liamsaunt.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 14
  • Delicious 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

26 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Sorry he had to go to that game.

I was walking by this place (Pino's Prime Meats), on my way home from Corner Bistro...

IMG_8007.thumb.jpeg.4390f33defd60b2bc3995da9307d647f.jpeg

One of the last old school butcher shops. Purchased two nice pork rib chops, hacked off a whole roast for me.  I actually took the chops off the bone when I got home, in order to use the bones in a pot of beans I wanted to serve with the pork.

IMG_8011.thumb.jpeg.7e05e6438ebc638075f6d5c452831d28.jpeg

Sliced pork chop, RG Bayo chocolate beans, and roasted Romanesco.

Leftovers may go into a ramen, a la @liamsaunt.

You know you're old school when you don't even have an area code for your phone number posted on the window!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

crispy sesame mushrooms

Can you say a little bit more about these, please? I must say you do an amazing job of making bits and bobs look so appetizing. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

38 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Some of the best potatoes I've ever made.

Those potatoes are out of this world.

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

4 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

So @Shelbywhere's the recipe for those otherworldly potatoes?

This is @Mmmpomps superb spuds :) 

These are roasted spuds my Aunt in England showed me how to make: Preheat oven to 425 to 450.Peel whole potatoes, boil in salted water 4 to7 minutes until the outside is softened to about 1 cm in. Drain in the pot and with lid on shake the bejeebus out of the spuds to rough them up. Use a heavy pan..cast iron is great and pour VEGETABLE OIL *this is the secret to the crispiness* You can preheat the oil in the oven if you want. Then toss spuds in and coat them in the oil and salt aggressively. Cook 30 to 45 minutes until crispy brown, turning once.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5
  • Delicious 1

7 minutes ago, Shelby said:

These are roasted spuds my Aunt in England showed me how to make: Preheat oven to 425 to 450.Peel whole potatoes, boil in salted water 4 to7 minutes until the outside is softened to about 1 cm in. Drain in the pot and with lid on shake the bejeebus out of the spuds to rough them up. Use a heavy pan..cast iron is great and pour VEGETABLE OIL *this is the secret to the crispiness* You can preheat the oil in the oven if you want. Then toss spuds in and coat them in the oil and salt aggressively. Cook 30 to 45 minutes until crispy brown, turning once.

Okay then! Coming soon to a table near me.

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

Seems like the standard British method to me. See Delia Smith's almost identical method. I didn't know there was another way. Even my French mother used that method.

I may sub dripping or duck fat for the vegetable oil though.

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

12 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Seems like the standard British method to me. See Delia Smith's almost identical method. I didn't know there was another way. Even my French mother used that method.

I may sub dripping or duck fat for the vegetable oil though.

They get crunchy on the outside and meltingly creamy on the inside.  Ronnie and I fought over the last one. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Shelby said:

They get crunchy on the outside and meltingly creamy on the inside.  Ronnie and I fought over the last one. 

Yes. Indeed. The last meal I cooked before being hospitalised included such potatoes. This, I hasten to add, had no bearing on WHY I was hospitalised.

My siblings and I fought over spuds. I was the eldest (still am) so usually won!

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Haha 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

16 minutes ago, Shelby said:

To me the big difference between these and most roasted potatoes is that these are whole potatoes. The proportion of crispiness to creaminess will be very different than the usual where the potatoes are cut up. And of course they look quite different.

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

7 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Yes. Indeed. The last meal I cooked before being hospitalised included such potatoes. This, I hasten to add, had no bearing on WHY I was hospitalised.

My siblings and I fought over spuds. I was the eldest (still am) so usually won!

I let Ronnie win.....he is the oldest, too.

1 minute ago, Anna N said:

To me the big difference between these and most roasted potatoes is that these are whole potatoes. The proportion of crispiness to creaminess will be very different than the usual where the potatoes are cut up. And of course they look quite different.

Exactly.  So different than the usual skillet potatoes I make.

I'm going to have to make them again.  Like tonight.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

What kind of potatoes do you use, @Shelby

I used Russet last night...I think I've only used that kind actually.  If I had Yukon Golds I'd definitely try those.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

Last night my husband had to go to a football game for work, so my sister, niece and I had "clear out the bits and bobs in the fridge" miso ramen bowls.  I used a bunch of collard greens and some carrots from my CSA for vegetables along with the usual ginger, garlic, chiles, cilantro etc.  My niece had hers with a leftover pork chop from her dinner the other night:

1797714671_porkramen.thumb.jpg.4a9a78e88ad023bf817d9ae33f6f2694.jpg

and my sister and I had ours with crispy sesame mushrooms (mushrooms also from the CSA)

540749211_mushroomramen2.thumb.jpg.0534c1a3b7ae51637e0555f25abe9776.jpg

That egg!!! 👍

• Like 1

Charlie asked if I would cook something for dinner today. I asked if there was anything in particular he'd like. He thought for a while and asked for Korean Fried Chicken wings.  That is something he'd have to ask for 'cuz I wouldn't volunteer it. But then he looked up the recipe he had in mind and it was easier than the one I've made before. It is a big job to clean up after, but it's really good.

IMG_0291.jpg

IMG_0294.jpg

IMG_0297.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 12
  • Delicious 4

48 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

Charlie asked if I would cook something for dinner today. I asked if there was anything in particular he'd like. He thought for a while and asked for Korean Fried Chicken wings.  That is something he'd have to ask for 'cuz I wouldn't volunteer it.  It is a big job to clean up after, but it's really good.

IMG_0291.jpg

IMG_0294.jpg

IMG_0297.jpg

Your are amazing!!!  I know the recipe is on your blog.  I'm craving these.    Pineapple chunks or tofu on the side?

Picked up J. Kenji López-Alt's food lab cookbook finally.

made Hash for dinner - just a fried egg on top instead of following the recipe exactly..

20221025_183026.thumb.jpg.57a1a6aea6758df37e34773288807a9d.jpg

I've had this at restaurants, but 1st time I've made at home.  Won't be the last.

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1