• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2022

liuzhou

I can go back a dozen years In pics mid October and find garden produce when trying to put the garden to bed. Herbs are suffering but now have an abundance of zucchini flowers again. (started a Fall crop). 

Might be my last summer salads. 

Dogs and burgers

218050722_ScreenShot2022-09-25at10_04_12AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-27 at 11.53.10 AM.jpeg

Screen Shot 2022-10-03 at 2.18.50 PM.png

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

2 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

@CookBot – Wow!  That ham dinner!  I’d love to have the recipe for sweet potato  spoonbread if you share!

Gladly.  What's the protocol around here?  Post in this thread or post in the "Recipes" section?

2 hours ago, Annie_H said:

Local pub fare in NYC for 20+ years. Often toasted challah. Will not argue. BLT to us. 

No offense meant.  It looks and sounds delicious, but just like it deserves a more descriptive name.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CookBot said:

Gladly.  What's the protocol around here?  Post in this thread or post in the "Recipes" section?

Great!  I think  it would be great to post it with the Recipes- then people who browse have access to it.  Will you post a link to it when you've done it?  

20 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Great!  I think  it would be great to post it with the Recipes- then people who browse have access to it.  Will you post a link to it when you've done it?  

Will do.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Shelby said:

Hi Kim :)

Just a side note--you mentioned that you had been going back and reading old dinner threads to get some inspiration.  I've started doing the same.  I've started with the 2020 thread.....very interesting going back before the beginning of the pandemic.  I've written down several recipes that I meant to do before so thank you for the idea!

There used to be a restaurant in the big city called Chi Chi's.  Definitely not authentic Mexican food, but we liked it--went there when I was young.  Anyway, I always ordered the same thing--their seafood enchiladas.  A flour tortilla stuffed with fake crab and tiny canned shrimp with Monterrey jack cheese and a lobster based white sauce.  They cooked it on the plate you were served on and the sides were rice and refried beans. Here is a good copy-cat recipe .  Don't try to fancy it up using real crab and fresh shrimp because it won't be the same :)

Nooooo, I bought a tortilla press years ago that has never seen the light of day.  It is this brand:

thumbnail_IMG_3159.jpg.55f213fee59f8e31c3295d6fc9c55faa.jpg

They are smaller than the usual and very light and crispy.

LOLOL - your tortilla press story reminds me of my pasta machine experience.   Jessica says stop showing off with those amazing looking taco shells - 😄  .  Man, I wish we could get that brand - looks amazing.  I remember Chi Chi's very well!  When I was a teenager Chi Chi's was the "nice" Mexican place and Jessica chose it for her birthday dinner a couple of times when she was a little girl and we lived in Charlottesville VA.  And I still buy their salsa in the grocery store.  Thanks for the link to the recipe.  I hope to try that soon.  One question: lobster base???

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

LOLOL - your tortilla press story reminds me of my pasta machine experience.   Jessica says stop showing off with those amazing looking taco shells - 😄  .  Man, I wish we could get that brand - looks amazing.  I remember Chi Chi's very well!  When I was a teenager Chi Chi's was the "nice" Mexican place and Jessica chose it for her birthday dinner a couple of times when she was a little girl and we lived in Charlottesville VA.  And I still buy their salsa in the grocery store.  Thanks for the link to the recipe.  I hope to try that soon.  One question: lobster base???

Yeah...lobster base.  I had a cube of fish bullion.....it's not the same.  Better Than Bouillon has a lobster base that should work really well.  Don't skimp on that ...it adds what the dish needs in the sauce.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

PS I'm so glad you know about Chi Chi's!  That was the "nice" place that we went to also.  They had really good fried ice cream....the only place I've ever had it.....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shelby said:

PS I'm so glad you know about Chi Chi's!  That was the "nice" place that we went to also.  They had really good fried ice cream....the only place I've ever had it.....

When I was a kid, we went to Chi-Chi's also. I loved it!

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Ann_T said:

957498358_HelloDollysfordessertOctober5th2022.thumb.jpg.a5f28d5a0be6d4f4c2ff4bd27743b121.jpg
Baked a batch of Hello Dolly bars for dessert. Haven't made these in years.

These look amazing, but I’ve never heard of them. It looks like coconut over melted chocolate on a cookie or graham cracker base of some sort. Am I in the ballpark?

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

13 hours ago, CookBot said:

No offense meant.  It looks and sounds delicious, but just like it deserves a more descriptive name.

No offense taken. 

Na. I prefer to keep it as described like the rest of the informed culinary universe. Salman BLT Avocado

We prefer prosciutto 'bacon'. Crisped in the oven. It is lean, less fat. Doesn't shrink or render a load of fat in the bottom of the pan.

Why pay for all that fat weight when I don't care for bacon fat used in cooking.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, pastameshugana said:

These look amazing, but I’ve never heard of them. It looks like coconut over melted chocolate on a cookie or graham cracker base of some sort. Am I in the ballpark?

@pastameshugana, you are in the right ballpark.  Chocolate chips are sprinkled over a graham cracker crust, topped with walnuts and then a top layer of coconut and then

a can of condensed milk drizzled over top and baked.   

https://thibeaultstable.com/2009/06/10/hello-dollys/

I know them as Hello Dollys but they are also called Magic Bars. 

• Like 2

Two nights of disasters.  Last night store bought Shoprite ravioli in a cream sauce that I made.  Awful texture of the pasta, nothing good to say for it, other than I ate it.  Sauce was cloying.

Tonight Rancho Gordo lima beans.  Pressure cooked two hours.  Beans were barely done.  And they were bitter.  How do you get bitter beans?  Bitter.  Plus they were too salty, which may have been my fault.  I pitched them.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 5

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Did my first sous vide prime rib! Turned out well. 325F for 4 hours then seared in the oven 475F for about 30 minutes.

1383393561_SearedRoast8956.jpg.325226ef21dd5d74b8e1be5dcbb5a646.jpg

1737160180_PrimeRib8959.jpg.25eb05e3fbb66a6d839fb455faaf0425.jpg

It was a 2 rib roast. Fed 3 here, then I sent the rest with all sides, etc to older son and family as the 2 adults are down with Covid. The roast and a chicken was to have been our Thanksgiving dinner tonight before second son leaves for Nfld on Sunday.

Visiting son also requested Michael Symons Holiday Sprouts, so that was the main side.
                                                                                  115523876_MichaelSymonsHolidayBrusselSprouts8954.jpg.36a20074aaa419126e02ee3aae97fb19.jpg

Tonight was another of second son's favourite dishes: Beef & Tomato with Egg. I picked up a whole AAA Beef Tenderloin on sale at Superstore, $12.99/ lb with 10,000 points ($10.00!) Trimmed it up with 2 pieces for Wellington, several thick steaks, and the trimmings for the stir-fry.

632544096_BeefTomato8962.jpg.bce0cb1a568e96dfc27bf0c500232da0.jpg

1192444049_BeefTomato8965.jpg.891073410c1ba2df5fb95b1294713b7c.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 3

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

3 hours ago, Dejah said:

Beef & Tomato with Egg.

That looks intriguing, @Dejah. I like the classic tomato with egg, but adding beef sounds like a good idea 🤗

Do you just add (marinated ?) beef to the dish, or is there any special preparation ?

4 hours ago, Duvel said:

That looks intriguing, @Dejah. I like the classic tomato with egg, but adding beef sounds like a good idea 🤗

Do you just add (marinated ?) beef to the dish, or is there any special preparation ?

It seems adding beef may be just my Mom's version as she knew my family are carnivores! My Chinese students are always surprised at the addition of meat.
I just seasoned with salt and pepper, then add some cornstarch and oil for velveting.
Veg are cooked first, then the beef, then mixed together.

• Thanks 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Dinner at Sushi of Gari 46 NYC. I’m in NYC for a couple of days for a college tour with my niece. 

Maitake tempura

A538C581-5FE3-4173-A936-2B1E8BC7ED08.thumb.jpeg.7455bb1a6bba556b705f9c463e4fb43e.jpeg

kabocha tempura

839549D4-5A15-46F1-8AD7-7C6AC94A451C.thumb.jpeg.c21d9f589c8a99e0eeb0bd018c2ca0cf.jpeg

Maguro avocafo

3FAE39D0-0D65-40C1-8A68-152A7E5A0AF4.thumb.jpeg.a9ae3eb3f2f469842b3ab1802bccfc18.jpeg

aji, shima aji, age kaki, and a tamago  for my niece

FE16130E-4411-4B1E-9D95-82AF125F342E.thumb.jpeg.1e2bb662e941b4a86cc7dd19da0376bf.jpeg

tuna of Gari (we had a couple of these) 

B31D8B48-41BC-4979-BB8E-81E3FDB4014E.thumb.jpeg.cee9532d7ceba79e03db983fa63539cf.jpeg

Followed by Almost Famous. I am not a Broadway musical fan but this one was fun. 

• Like 5
  • Delicious 3