• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2022

liuzhou

10 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

This is a rabbit hole well worth falling down. This post by @Duvelpretty much explains It all. If you decide to make it, follow the directions to the letter. Method is everything.

8 hours ago, Duvel said:

There are also pictorials here and here, to illustrate the process and augment @Tropicalsenior's recipe link. 

Thank you both so much!  A worthy rabbithole indeed, and right up my street.  It looks kind of like a cross between meatloaf and liverwurst, which sounds like a grand evolution to me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CookBot said:

Thank you both so much!  A worthy rabbithole indeed, and right up my street.  It looks kind of like a cross between meatloaf and liverwurst, which sounds like a grand evolution to me.

It is more like a loaf of bologna … there is no liver and no “livery” taste profile. Needless to say, it is still very good. In fact, there is a supermarket chain here that attracts customers by selling a 1€ Leberkäse rolls. Loooooong queues. I am unable to go there and not buy one … such as … ehhhm … today 🙄

5CA32404-3C62-4507-8732-50B3E1FA51DE.thumb.jpeg.3b5de47bcd61dcdc43b06e5939804c0d.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 1

18 minutes ago, CookBot said:

cross between meatloaf and liverwurst

For me it is more like a glorified spam. Next time I make it I'm going to try half beef and half pork. The texture is totally different than meatloaf and that's why you have to follow the directions explicitly.

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Dejah said:

We have both chuck and blade roast here on the prairies. I usually buy these when they are on sale - for stews.

Love one pot meals! Singapore Rice Noodles with Bell Peppers, Beansprouts, Shrimp, and Char Siu

20074491_SingaporeRiceNoodles8838.jpg.e639c4c2412ae28bd291260ea147c527.jpg

Another one pot meal: Seafood Stew: Pickerel, Mussels, Clams, Shrimp, potato in Fire Roasted Tomato, Clam Juice.  I seared the scallops and plopped them on top after I dished the stew out.

161073264_SeafoodStew8840.jpg.f18f4d7fd05119b859ded5f4c45c0afa.jpg

I should have clarified that we have no such thing as blade roast in my area. I didn't mean in all of Canada.

51 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

I should have clarified that we have no such thing as blade roast in my area. I didn't mean in all of Canada.

There's also "cross rib." :)

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

1 hour ago, Paul Bacino said:

@KennethT--  I found the lemon verbena in the place I buy my herb plants,  it is very productive as things cool down,  might have to look into the tea thing,  might also try to dry it as the season closes down

It is amazing in tea.  Love to combine it with lemon grass.  Sometimes mint. 

It also dries out quite nice and stores long term.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chromedome said:

There's also "cross rib." :)

Yes, that is the other roast I use for pot roast and such but blade roasts are definitely more common in these parts. I can get anything I need by getting in touch with one of the butchers of course, but I was speaking about what's cmmonly available at the supermarkets. I have only seen tri-tip for sale once and when I asked the meat guy why, he sort of shrugged and said that they're just not popular here but apparently are prevalent in Alberta.

Edited by MaryIsobel (log)

Can you tell I like pork chops done in the NFG?  Served with corn on the cob that was sold as white but definitely bi-color and tasteless to boot.  With Chang beer because it was one of those days!

nfg-pork-chop26.jpg.64cd6897ba4295dbb9c793c17307e71d.jpg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 4

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

20 minutes ago, mgaretz said:

Can you tell I like pork chops done in the NFG?  Served with corn on the cob that was sold as white but definitely bi-color and tasteless to boot.  With Chang beer because it was one of those days!

nfg-pork-chop26.jpg.64cd6897ba4295dbb9c793c17307e71d.jpg

Beer Chang! I haven't had one of those since being in Chiang Mai 16 years ago!

4 hours ago, mgaretz said:

Can you tell I like pork chops done in the NFG?  Served with corn on the cob that was sold as white but definitely bi-color and tasteless to boot. 

And an amusingly cropped "chardonnay" place mat.      😉  

4 hours ago, KennethT said:

Beer Chang! I haven't had one of those since being in Chiang Mai 16 years ago!

It’s one of my favorites as it reminds me of Fruh kolsch which is hard to find here.

• Like 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

I also like [canned SPAM

its very salty , and i cut the slices 

thickly.   soaked the in ice water for a bit 

( to keek the fat just so }

dried the tranches off 

and fried , slowly so there was a crust on each side 

its mighty fine.

well , its no Scrapple 

but what can you do ?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

My doctor called with my bloodwork test results.  Everything is fine except for my cholesterol, at 286.  Dinner was spinach cheese ravioli in Parmesan cream sauce with nutmeg.  Dessert is storebought salted caramel ice cream, topped with perfect creme chantilly.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

@Norm Matthews – that Salisbury steak looks great.  I’ve saved that recipe.

@CookBot – that Thai feast is gorgeous!  It’s probably my daughter’s favorite food.  The pad Thai is especially calling to me.

@Tropicalsenior – I would really love to have the recipe for the Mock Snitzbrote.  It is gorgeous!

Last Friday Jessica and I had dinner at a local Thai place.  She started with the Tom Kha soup:

1-IMG_0697.jpg.d44f31035af467557958732bd6138dfb.jpg

We shared some calamari and crab Rangoon:

1-IMG_0698.jpg.1f9755b4485c15237ef910308d4a8a9e.jpg

1-IMG_0699.jpg.0cb83c8fc036cbb3d15277939256f407.jpg

Both of which were delicious.  The calamari was in flat pieces rather than rings and they had done something that I almost never see done with a breaded piece of squid – they had cut the little crisscross slices into the surface.  The Rangoon was full of real crabmeat.  We shared a shrimp and pineapple fried rice (our favorite and a dish that I’ve never been able to duplicate at home) that I forgot to take a picture of.

Saturday:

1-IMG_0701.jpg.3aedc5063818e3b09eccf2dddc93fa0a.jpg

Long grain and wild rice, green beans with Italian dressing, fried shrimp, and frozen fish.  Oddly enough the best things were the canned beans and the frozen fish 😟.  I really like the Uncle Ben’s long grain and wild rice, but this was bag of “ready rice” – the microwave in the bag one and the flavor was completely different and actually unpleasant.  The shrimp was just a fail.  I got some rice flour, thinking it would give me a perfect thin, brittle coating on my shrimp.  I soaked the peeled shrimp in a bit of buttermilk, drained it, and dredged in the seasoned rice flour.  As you can see, it never crisped up and also it didn’t stick to the shrimp. Just a soggy mess.  Served with a Caesar salad and a couple of sauces:

1-IMG_0700.jpg.00ecae3e93b45832bac74fea268880d4.jpg

Sunday was White People Taco night:

1-IMG_0707.thumb.jpg.f4f4404309dc05eb39cb8403cd4453a2.jpg

Served with refried beans and the last of the amazing pears we got at Costco.

Monday night we took some soup Mr. Kim made to his mom and ended up in Ashland (town just north of Richmond) looking for dinner.  Our first choice was already closed, so we ended up at Cracker Barrel.  It wasn’t bad at all.  Jessica got the chicken fried steak, fried apples, mac & cheese, and the broccoli casserole:

1-IMG_0709.jpg.c163f757e81c846970c53f55a45d797e.jpg

Mr. Kim got the beans and greens:

1-IMG_0711.jpg.d23b73d0fdf15c761f9efe4f8bc8d1e1.jpg

With their fantastic chow chow.  I got the fried chicken, pintos, and mashed potatoes:

1-IMG_0710.thumb.jpg.f82aafa28e750fd74f5c9718922d06f9.jpg

Maybe we were just starving (it was 8:30), but it all tasted really good.  Those beans are ALWAYS good, though.

Night before last was soup and sandwiches. Jessica made her wonderful grilled cheese sandwiches and Mr. Kim made some “BBQ soup”.  “BBQ soup” is what he makes when he’s been judging a couple of weekends or days in a row and has a lot of BBQ.  At most of the competitions the judges are allowed to bring home their own leftovers. Meaning the things that they tasted – so a decent pile of pulled pork, a number of slices of brisket, at least 6 chicken thighs, and some ribs.  The thighs and ribs look funny because he’s taken a bite out of each one, but he only brings home his own.  This past weekend he judged Friday afternoon, Saturday, and Sunday.  So, there was a LOT of BBQ.  He just shreds/chops it up, adds some stock (I had some homemade in the freezer), a can of diced tomatoes, and whatever vegetables strike his fancy.  Because of the rubs and the sauces that some folks use, the meats can be pretty sweet in a soup, so he usually has to add a good glug of vinegar, too.  Different every time, but SO good:

1-IMG_0718.jpg.a1538bd7c53a52d87a100041a748e0f7.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 3