• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2022

liuzhou

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

Where do you get fresh lemon verbena?  I don't think I've ever seen it before - I've always seen it dried.  Are the leaves tough?  Can you eat them without grinding them?

Never heard of eating lemon verbena.  I have grown it many years and solely used it for tea.  The leaves are very tough - I would think you would have to strain it first. 

14 minutes ago, TicTac said:

Never heard of eating lemon verbena.  I have grown it many years and solely used it for tea.  The leaves are very tough - I would think you would have to strain it first. 

Thanks.  Years ago, in Saigon, in one of the bushes of herbs provided at practically every meal, there was an herb I couldn't identify.  When I asked someone, they just called it "wild herb".  The leaves looked similar to the lemon verbena in @Paul Bacino's post above - they did have a slight lemony flavor that I really enjoyed.  Over the years I've tried to identify it and think that maybe it was a young mango leaf, but I haven't seen one in person to really know.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

Thanks.  Years ago, in Saigon, in one of the bushes of herbs provided at practically every meal, there was an herb I couldn't identify.  When I asked someone, they just called it "wild herb".  The leaves looked similar to the lemon verbena in @Paul Bacino's post above - they did have a slight lemony flavor that I really enjoyed.  Over the years I've tried to identify it and think that maybe it was a young mango leaf, but I haven't seen one in person to really know.

Lemon verbena have little teeth - think of a cats tongue - all over the flat of the leaf.  Can't imagine that would be fun in the digestive tract!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TicTac said:

Tamis--   Cashews can be grainy too

• Like 3

Its good to have Morels

9 hours ago, kayb said:

a Pike’s peak roast, which is not my choice for pot roast,

I've never heard of this cut of meat.  Is it beef?  And where on the animal is it from?

9 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Last night was kind of an international mishmash. I made @Duvel's Leberkäse and I was finally very happy with the result. Perfect texture and great taste.

Never heard of this, either.  I take it that it's some kind of baked liver loaf?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CookBot said:

I've never heard of this cut of meat.  Is it beef?  And where on the animal is it from?

Never heard of this, either.  I take it that it's some kind of baked liver loaf?

I too am curious as to what a Pikes Peak roast is. I know that we have different terms for cuts of meat in Canada vs US, for example there is no such ting as chuck roast here, we call it blade roast. 

22 hours ago, Smithy said:

"Write up what you did," he said.

"It was really wonderful," he said.

"Make sure you can repeat it," he said.

Then he went to bed, still not fully grasping that it was a use-up-stuff-in-the-fridge-and-freezer meal.

Still, it was good and worth trying to document.

Ingredients:

• an ancient package of Pepperidge Farms Puff Pastry, moved this morning from the freezer to the refrigerator to thaw.
  • a jar of frozen egg whites, ditto.
  • a bunch of tomatoes, rescued from our container garden before tonight's freeze.
  • a red onion from a farmers' market, peeled and mandolined (safely) into thin slices.
  • balsamic vinegar, sugar and olive oil to assist that onion's caramelization.
  • sun-dried tomato paste.
  • a lone Polish sausage whose brethren had left us unimpressed, cut into quarter-coins.
  • chunks of mozzarella.
  • shreds of parmesan.

The onion slices went into medium-warm oil and I began to cook them down. 

While they cooked down, I tried to coax the badly-mistreated puff pastry into opening.

I stirred the onions and added balsamic vinegar and sugar to assist in their caramelization.

I went back to coaxing the puff pastry.

I stirred the onion/vinegar/sugar mixture; when I deemed it properly cooked down I removed it to a bowl.

I pried the puff pastry open. It broke into several pieces.

I loaded chopped tomatoes into the oil remaining from the onions, and began cooking them down with the assistance of tomato paste.

I shredded parmesan, and sliced mozzarella.

I loaded the puff pastry onto a sheet of parchment paper, and pasted its broken pieces together. I set the oven to 400F.

Ready! I brushed the pastry with the thawed egg white, then loaded it with about half the onion...then the tomatoes interspersed with the sausage chunks, then the rest of the onion. Into the oven it went for 20-30 minutes, then the cheese was added until it melted.

Success all around! We both liked it, a lot. I got rid of a package of old puff pastry, one lone Polish sausage, and part of a jar of egg whites. 

20220926_211100.jpg

He'll ask me to repeat it. I'll do my best, but I don't intend to keep puff pastry around for 10 months. Aside from that, the process wasn't difficult.

Made a real "clean out" soup last night using some leftover pot roast, 2 containers of veg soup and one of turkey, spinach, mushroom from the freezer, some excess liquid from the salsa I canned, a variety of on-the-way-out veg, some beef broth from the freezer and some barley. My husband said "this is a keeper." I regretfully informed him that it was likely a one and done, but I was glad that he enjoyed it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

On 9/25/2022 at 6:56 AM, TicTac said:

I will go out on a limb and say - roast said carrot, toast said bun - insert said carrot into said bun and top with whatever tickles your fancy.

😛

I was trying to imagine what it would taste like and why would anybody think it up in the first place. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, SusieQ said:

I was trying to imagine what it would taste like and why would anybody think it up in the first place. 

Not having a hotdog?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

18 minutes ago, Honkman said:

Risi e bisi - the low effort risotto with carnaroli rice, pancetta, peas, parmesan, onion, garlic, white wine, chicken broth, parmesan and parsley

F15E7D81-6E0B-46FC-8BE0-4EEFE92E3473.thumb.jpeg.dd22d73e2dd018c76cff86b348d9f3aa.jpeg

Explain method please.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

41 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Explain method please.

Start with sautéing pancetta, onion and garlic for a few minutes. Add carnaroli and toast for 1-2 minutes. Add white wine and cook until evaporated. Add chicken broth (750 ml for 165 g rice) all at once and cook for 20 minutes (so no need to stir constantly as with “regular” risotto) and add parmesan, peas and some butter in the last minute. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, MaryIsobel said:

I too am curious as to what a Pikes Peak roast is. I know that we have different terms for cuts of meat in Canada vs US, for example there is no such ting as chuck roast here, we call it blade roast. 

We have both chuck and blade roast here on the prairies. I usually buy these when they are on sale - for stews.

Love one pot meals! Singapore Rice Noodles with Bell Peppers, Beansprouts, Shrimp, and Char Siu

20074491_SingaporeRiceNoodles8838.jpg.e639c4c2412ae28bd291260ea147c527.jpg

Another one pot meal: Seafood Stew: Pickerel, Mussels, Clams, Shrimp, potato in Fire Roasted Tomato, Clam Juice.  I seared the scallops and plopped them on top after I dished the stew out.

161073264_SeafoodStew8840.jpg.f18f4d7fd05119b859ded5f4c45c0afa.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

3 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Not having a hotdog?

It just seems like an abundance of carbs to me. I know carrots are super high in carbs but between the mouth feel and overall “heaviness” I don’t think I could finish a carrot in a hotdog bun. 

I always have Pepperage Farms puff pastry in the freezer… so it is safe to eat past the “best by” date? That pepperoni method sounds like a winner! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

This is a rabbit hole well worth falling down. This post by @Duvelpretty much explains It all. If you decide to make it, follow the directions to the letter. Method is everything.

There are also pictorials here and here, to illustrate the process and augment @Tropicalsenior's recipe link. 

• Thanks 3

5 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

It just seems like an abundance of carbs to me. I know carrots are super high in carbs but between the mouth feel and overall “heaviness” I don’t think I could finish a carrot in a hotdog bun. 

I always have Pepperage Farms puff pastry in the freezer… so it is safe to eat past the “best by” date? That pepperoni method sounds like a winner! 

Anything that stays frozen will be safe to eat indefinitely. Whether it's pleasant to eat is the larger question. If it remains well sealed, and there's no visible freezer burn, it should be fine. If you know from the start that it's something you don't use frequently, over-bagging it in a freezer bag (rather than solely relying on the original packaging) will extend its life even further.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

10 hours ago, CookBot said:

10 hours ago, MaryIsobel said:

it comes from the butcher who processes my farmer’s beef, but I wasn’t positive exactly what cut of the steer it was, so I looked it up. It’s identified as “heel of round.” 

Leftovers last night. Remaining meat will go into vegetable beef soup today.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

2 minutes ago, Paul Bacino said:

@KennethT--  I found the lemon verbena in the place I buy my herb plants,  it is very productive as things cool down,  might have to look into the tea thing,  might also try to dry it as the season closes down

do you ever eat the leaves whole when they're fresh?