• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2022

liuzhou

2 hours ago, CookBot said:

Lots of okra in these photos!  I didn't realize it was so popular with Yankees.

Okra is hugely popular in the South (of the USA). Gumbo is practically the state dish of Louisiana and New Orleans in particulr. The very word 'gumbo' comes from the Bantu word for 'okra'.

• Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

3 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Okra is hugely popular in the South (of the USA). Gumbo is practically the state dish of Louisiana and New Orleans in particulr. The very word 'gumbo' comes from the Bantu word for 'okra'.

@CookBot said "Yankees".  Your definition of Yankee and his definition of Yankee are far different.  If you insult someone a Yankee in Louisiana you are liable to be shot.  That being said okra is popular with this Yankee.  As long as it is served not slimy.  I used to grow okra until my landlord told me I could not have a garden.

Last night I perused okra at Shoprite, the local grocery store.  But the okra on offer was not appetizing in the least.

• Like 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

13 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Your definition of Yankee and his definition of Yankee are far different. 

Quite right.  I failed to consider the global nature of the platform, and that "Yankee" is a generic term for "American" on other shores. 

😊

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

@CookBot said "Yankees".  Your definition of Yankee and his definition of Yankee are far different.  If you insult someone a Yankee in Louisiana you are liable to be shot.  That being said okra is popular with this Yankee.  As long as it is served not slimy.  I used to grow okra until my landlord told me I could not have a garden.

Last night I perused okra at Shoprite, the local grocery store.  But the okra on offer was not appetizing in the least.

I didn't define any word in my post and the word  in question is not one I ever use.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Fall always makes me think of traditional Chinese family comfort food. My kids grew up eating Hom Yue - salted fish. It's expensive to buy, $25.00 for 1 fish. Should last a long time as a little goes a long way being very salty and pungent, but not with our kids. They all want their own piece with the bone!

Steamed Hom Yue with sliced pork and lots of ginger. Need 2 bowls of rice with this!

483104415_SaltedFishHamYeu8815.jpg.a0ef9da50a8bb1fab59a65f67d7b1b92.jpg

A beautiful autumn day for working outside! Had made up the pork/shrimp/waterchestnut filling for stuffed peppers, but was too beat. Made wonton soup instead. Grilled Char Siu on the barbie while I played in the dirt!

71510672_WontonSoup8830.jpg.cff8bf62c1e1cedc11fd98348769f561.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 5

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

On 9/18/2022 at 10:48 PM, Dante said:

Roasted carrot "hot dogs", side of corn and baked sweet potato

IMG_20220918_200830347.jpg

Roasted carrot "hot dogs" -- I'm dying to know more about this because the concept kinda blows my mind. : )

Edited by SusieQ (log)

@DejahYour meals are always so good looking.  

Scout and Ronnie got some teal yesterday so duck for dinner!

Stuffed with lemons, onions and thyme springs.  Rubbed with butter and seasoning.

thumbnail_IMG_3089.jpg.2ea8e54ceb0b7392e3dbd553827a0b89.jpg

I made another batch of those wonderful RG corona beans.  Alfredo with mushrooms and artichokes and our tomatoes.  Ronnie really liked the beans mixed with the tomatoes.

thumbnail_IMG_3090.jpg.bf46333998fcd60be9757a9609eccc56.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3091.jpg.65136fc5a5847dbc6b10865da770107c.jpg

Had some limes and lemons going south so I juiced a bunch and froze the juice...saved some to make lemon posset for dessert.

thumbnail_IMG_3088.jpg.6148edba4f6086cb34fc920398d1a09e.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 3

7 hours ago, SusieQ said:

Roasted carrot "hot dogs" -- I'm dying to know more about this because the concept kinda blows my mind. : )

I will go out on a limb and say - roast said carrot, toast said bun - insert said carrot into said bun and top with whatever tickles your fancy.

😛

• Haha 1

I'm getting a little tired of making my Sunday meat buns so I went out on a limb and tried something new. Cheese Fatayer. They are supposed to look like little boats. If anyone tries using mine for boats they are going to die. The only thing they have going for them is the taste. They are delicious. Served with a big green salad for dinner, they should be great.

20220925_085017.thumb.jpg.354d6ea02026bdca689f8f271274871c.jpg

Ready to bake, still looking like boats.

20220925_090502.thumb.jpg.fe7fea24c4fd952a47f686bdc6ba6d04.jpg

Right out of the oven, more like a raft.

• Like 8
  • Delicious 4
  • Haha 5

3 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Rafts can save lives!    What kind of pastry did you use?    Suet? Lard? else?

I followed the recipe in my post. I think the problem was that I didn't work fast enough and it got too puffy before it got in the oven. My kitchen is also pretty hot but it's a recipe from the Middle East so I don't imagine that they have it any better. It is something that I will try again. The Taste overrides the appearance.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ann_T said:

Both the scallops and the halibut were dusted with
a little curry powder before being seared.

Love the idea of "curry dust" on the seafood!
@Shelby: Have never had Teal, but then, I haven't had any wild fowl since my childhood days when my Dad's rural restaurant used to cook for the American hunters that frequented our small town.

Another lovely day for more garden clean-up, so an oven meal was good planning!

Roasted a big pork butt seasoned with whole grain Dijon mustard and fresh rosemary stalks. Tossed in sweet taters for the last 45 minutes. Eaten with "high fibre" frozen vegetables.

Sent half the roast down to grandson, and we will still have some for lunch tomorrow.

1871091941_RoastPork8834.jpg.3ac141db4f870385b9bd7977ed5c5b67.jpg

• Like 13

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

1 hour ago, Ann_T said:

and since I don't care for scallops just halibut for me. 

I don't think I've ever met anyone who didn't like scallops!  Inconceivable.   (To me.  They're probably my desert island seafood.)   

I'm hoping for some spectacular Rosh Hashana dinner entries in this thread tonight/tomorrow.  I'm feeling sorry for myself 'cause I don't have a bubbe nearby to invite me to a big holiday feast.  Had to make do with a lonely bowl of matzoh ball soup for myself tonight.

Edited by CookBot (log)
  • Like 4

Simple but yet complex tasting lamb curry in a sweet onion-tomato sauce from 660 Curries. Sauce was made from coriander, cumin, paprika, turmeric, sirarakhong chili, ginger, garlic, cardamom pods, bay leaves, fried onion paste, cilantro and tomato sauce. Served with basmati rice and some vegetables (mushrooms, zucchini, green beans) mixed with onions, ginger, turmeric, coriander, garam masala, mint, almonds and some yoghurt.

7DA7BB6B-48E2-453C-AD6A-5033B5E250D5.thumb.jpeg.c981d363e516f65a3b9c4524a47c4fd9.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

On 9/23/2022 at 7:47 AM, Dejah said:

Definitely fall temperatures. Using the oven to warm things up.

A gift of a Kabocha squash = supper last night. Stuffed with ground beef mixture and topped with Tex-Mex shredded cheese. We share half a squash.

534918249_StuffedKabochaSquash8779.jpg.7ca124882b49e7f5d569a5c3d84d8f60.jpg                                                      

I really love the idea of the stuffed squash - we've done stuffed peppers for years, but a couple of the vagrants living with us (our younger children) don't like bell peppers. This might be the solution!

• Like 3

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

Paella09262022.jpg

This paella had such promise.  But the center 4.5 inches under the Paragon induction coil was burnt.  Thick Falk copper can only help so much.  Rice in the outer part of the pan was OK but the burnt taste permeated everything.  And the clam meat got caught in my teeth.  Cooking on lower heat would probably have helped a lot.

• Like 1
  • Sad 12

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou