• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2022

liuzhou

Had a craving for strong flavours. Binged out on a bag of Hawkins Cheezies, but that didn't work!

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcSwag1iKPUUWZsY5Ruk0

Beef and Bell Peppers curry stir-fry helped:      1246015901_CurryBeefPeppers8721.jpg.c3b25eb2bf15572d91aa48ca64ad2c1d.jpg

Then tonight, Pork Ribs with Meen See sauce (fermented yellow soy beans) and plums in brine. Had the last feed of Romano beans from my little patch among the flowers!

1098312804_MeenSeeribsplated8748.jpg.bc8c074944ec227e7ff5209b585763ca.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Not very photogenic brown blob but very tasty Japanese beef curry - cooked cubed beef chuck in a pressure cooker in a mixture of caramelized onions, garlic, ginger, garam masala, carrots, apple, bay leaf and beef broth for 25 minutes. Released pressure, added sweet potato and shiitake mushrooms and cooked another 5 minutes under high pressure. Released pressure again and simmered some mustard greens in the mixture. During the simmering you make a quick roux from flour, garam masala, ketchup, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce and some beef broth and added it to the curry to thicken. Served over rice.73430F4D-7A09-41C0-8CE7-236F8BE7B792.thumb.jpeg.fa571d493b689bf6095a98f8f78c323f.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

I use those pappadums too.  I have a gas range so I just hold the pappadum with thin tongs and flip it over back and forth over a medium flame.  They start to change colour as they cook.  Not as oily but it does take awhile to get the hang of it.

I have also done them in the microwave but you have to play around with the cook level and time other wise they get unevenly cooked.

Edited by Okanagancook (log)
  • Like 4

Had a barbecue last night, had the partners over. I kept it simple, just chicken and lamb with a good load of veg. Unfortunately the coals didn't light and at the last minute I had to dash to the Spar to get an instant lighting bbq coals bag. The actual story is a lot longer and even more tedious. Here is some of the food IMG-20220918-WA0001.thumb.jpg.f4480e1571c0ad7024472901c4c5877a.jpg

And the lambIMG-20220918-WA0002.thumb.jpg.bcd8f13b3e962525ff96e9eaf4aa2b42.jpg

• Like 15
  • Delicious 2

46 minutes ago, Captain said:

I don't normal post pics of restaurant food but.. Lobster.!

IMG_20220913_142102.thumb.jpg.21300205112a480dfbc2b7b860f5ee27.jpg

Lovely, but your lobsters look different from our lobsters in the NE US.  (Our fries look better though.)

• Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

32 minutes ago, Captain said:

Chips. 😉 But they do call them French fries here in Vanuatu.

No matter what you call 'em, those are not the most appealing CHIPS I've ever seen. Lobster looks fine.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1 hour ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Dried cranberry beans, paccheri, Calabrian sausage, Swiss chard.

297002781_ScreenShot2022-09-20at5_47_39PM.png.f65bcf9e940ece2dcb1fcb91a1000ad1.png

Please tell more about the Calabrian sausage. There is a sausage I can buy in Southern California by the name of New York Style Calabrese Sausage. I stock up on it when I'm out there. Despite its brand name ("New York Style") it's made in the Bay Area. It's delightful stuff...coarse grind, with a bit of red pepper heat but not much, and plenty of other flavor besides...and not available in most places I travel. I don't know what makes it "Calabrese". Is that the same as "Calabrian"? What are the characteristics of said sausage? I'd like to try making it if/when I run out and am not near a source.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Busy day cleaning up the flowerbeds, etc as fall approaches. BBQ strip loin steaks, new taters and corn from local farmer.

1388233898_SteakDinner8754.jpg.8514b0e6f04f015ad8f4d42f86d3221b.jpg

DIY Chicken Fajita and Cavendish spicy tater wedges

827516885_FajitaDIY8757.jpg.cadf28f76ce50cd57832098424b399a1.jpg

Pan fried panko-crusted pork chops, carrot fries and rice. McCormick's Green Peppercorn gravy on rice is hard to resist!

746445350_PorkChopsPeppercorngravy8765.jpg.76bc0f96b633707cba1a79f7c60eed24.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

6 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

Vegetable ramen soup bowl with bok choy, spinach, zucchini, and a soft-boiled egg.

That looks so very simple and so good. 

• Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

11 hours ago, Smithy said:

.... what makes it "Calabrese". Is that the same as "Calabrian"? What are the characteristics of said sausage?

In general, it will be spicy.   Sometimes with fennel.   These regional designations are probably pretty loosely applied by commercial sausage makers.

• Thanks 1

eGullet member #80.