• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2022

liuzhou

On 9/7/2022 at 8:36 PM, Ann_T said:

Thank you @pastameshugana.

Prime Rib Dinner.

Picked up a Sterling Silver Prime Rib on Tuesday and presalted.
Left in the fridge overnight and taken out and left on the counter to warm up two hours prior to roasting.

I roast everything on high heat so this roast went into a 500°F oven for approximately 30 minutes.

Rested while the Yorkshire Puddings were baking. Made individual puddings, baked in two 6" cast iron skillets.
118566437_PrimeRibservedSeptember7th20221.thumb.jpg.ab703e4dfbb9ec78e5e4d8feac8cb7f0.jpg
Served with mashed potatoes, steamed peas, au jus and horseradish.

Beautiful! You are the ultimate guide for me with prime rib.
This was a single rib roast? IN at 500FG for 30 minutes, then taken out to rest?
It's perfectly done! ❤️

• Like 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Pizza night Roman style al taglio. First one came out nearly 9pm. Famished we had most of it over the kitchen sink. Second one similar. Third for the freezer, last pic, and forth was white--three cheese, gorgonzola, Romano, mozzarella, red onion, fennel. (no pic)

Fresh rosemary, garlic, salt mince on the potato edge. 

IMG_4174.jpeg

Screen Shot 2022-09-09 at 12.04.18 PM.png

IMG_4182.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 2

Beef liver & Onions, leftover Saffron rice, and Yum Yum pickles from a friend. Liver was cut a bit too thin for my liking, but they cooked up quickly for a late supper. I usually make gravy with this but thought it would have drowned out any liver taste, which we love.

722618973_LiverOnion8664.jpg.8809d4167391a793a967035503a00e11.jpg

I didn't eat much of the supper as my stomach hadn't felt well after a pizza lunch out with some friends. The other 5 were fine, so I assume I had stomach flu. I was really sick for a couple of hours, then was feeling well enough to have a good sleep. Slept off and on the next day, with soda crackers and hot water snacking most of the day. Felt well enough to make some wontons (from the freezer) and noodle soup for supper. That stayed down well.

746657266_WontonSoup8669.jpg.bd89d2c0ece3189b12c4b56274a98007.jpg

• Like 10

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

3 minutes ago, Dejah said:

Felt well enough to make some wontons (from the freezer) and noodle soup for supper. That stayed down well.

Nothing like broth and noodles/dumplings from the freezer when feeling funk. I so dislike that feeling when something hits and no idea what happened or where it came from. Fall 2020 DH was home from work and 2 days in bed before vaccinations. He was being tested at work and negative but well before home testing was available. 

17 minutes ago, Dejah said:

Beef liver & Onions

One of my favourites which makes me a weirdo in the eyes of oh so many. 😂

I hope you continue to feel better. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Massive nonstop cooking since July 4th. Practically one party every weekend. Friends and family members whom I have not seen during this entire pandemic all decided to come. I can't remember how much I spent on food. I don't want to know. Three pork butts, 6 slabs of ribs, 8 dozens of wings, steaks, lobsters------!!!!.

35687080_SousvideBBQparty2022.thumb.jpg.510beb9b736739b9cdc9ada045974b96.jpg

The challenge is how to have food more or less all ready at the same time, and how to do it without ending up in the kitchen cooking and no time to talk to guests.

So I had two sous vide setups, two BBQs and a smoker going at the same time. One sous vide cooker is a custom home made 48 quart cooler, large enough to do 4 full slabs of ribs.

1078157989_SVporkbutt2022a.thumb.jpg.3f438a855593a016b05f6dd3ecdf2d1f.jpg11081662_SVporkbutt2022.thumb.JPG.2b7ada4dc8361affdb5f6075fe725045.JPG

One of Labor Day dish, soud vide, BBQ, smoked whole 10 lb pork butt.

1757980173_SVporkbutt2022b.thumb.jpg.8942a6bf16175d6b9cc6029f9ed3ece9.jpg226715427_SVporkbutt2022c.thumb.jpg.d8b2e7562efba2823a62c8edd5cda9b4.jpg2002529227_SVporkbutt2022d.thumb.jpg.b412a0a037f7e1ff84195dd9f254db40.jpg

dcarch

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 5

3 hours ago, dcarch said:

Massive nonstop cooking since July 4th. Practically one party every weekend. Friends and family members whom I have not seen during this entire pandemic all decided to come. I can't remember how much I spent on food. I don't want to know. Three pork butts, 6 slabs of ribs, 8 dozens of wings, steaks, lobsters------!!!!.

35687080_SousvideBBQparty2022.thumb.jpg.510beb9b736739b9cdc9ada045974b96.jpg

The challenge is how to have food more or less all ready at the same time, and how to do it without ending up in the kitchen cooking and no time to talk to guests.

So I had two sous vide setups, two BBQs and a smoker going at the same time. One sous vide cooker is a custom home made 48 quart cooler, large enough to do 4 full slabs of ribs.

1078157989_SVporkbutt2022a.thumb.jpg.3f438a855593a016b05f6dd3ecdf2d1f.jpg11081662_SVporkbutt2022.thumb.JPG.2b7ada4dc8361affdb5f6075fe725045.JPG

One of Labor Day dish, soud vide, BBQ, smoked whole 10 lb pork butt.

1757980173_SVporkbutt2022b.thumb.jpg.8942a6bf16175d6b9cc6029f9ed3ece9.jpg226715427_SVporkbutt2022c.thumb.jpg.d8b2e7562efba2823a62c8edd5cda9b4.jpg2002529227_SVporkbutt2022d.thumb.jpg.b412a0a037f7e1ff84195dd9f254db40.jpg

dcarch

Oh you loved it AND still had time for your always innovative and whimsical food plate art :)

Edited by heidih (log)

1 hour ago, Dejah said:

Beef liver & Onions, leftover Saffron rice, and Yum Yum pickles from a friend. Liver was cut a bit too thin for my liking, but they cooked up quickly for a late supper.

I adore liver and lately have only been able to find it in slices that are much too thin.  In that format, I find the best way to handle it is in the style of Fegato alla Veneziana, from Harry's Bar in Venice.  Lots of caramelized onions and the smaller pieces aren't as inclined to overcook.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5ThiEk-7GU

• Like 5

@dcarch 

exceptionally fine SV set up.

wha were you Sv'ding in the second pic ?

I see a divider 

what's its role ?

and it seem your water is a bit dark 

and Ive never thought os SV ribs

sound interesting

and you finish them   .....

chers

10 hours ago, Anna N said:

This recipe just didn’t work for me. I followed it except for a few minor things that shouldn’t have mattered. I had to forget the zest and juice of the lemon because my lemon was moldy. I searched and searched under my bed for the herbs but they were nowhere to be found so I had to leave those out. Amazon was out of both furikake and chilli flakes the last time I placed an order. But apart from these minor changes I made the recipe as shown. I found it very disappointing and quite flavourless. Love Jo. 

I think what made it disappointing was the peas.  I love peas -- but not peas hardened like cheap peppercorns:  shriveled, dry, and freezer burned.  I used to be signed up for NY Times Cooking but the Gray Lady spammed me so much I left her.  Thus the only Times recipes I see are from articles in the Food section.  The article in question was entitled "When There's Nothing in the Fridge."  I should have been forewarned.  Nothing sets my teeth on edge like someone using the word "fridge".

After peas and pasta the instructions were "You can take it anywhere from here..."  Myself, I used thyme* and a bit of beef broth leftover from an errant cut of beef masquerading as a steak.  And no, my lemon is not moldy, I am drinking it with a bowl of almonds as we speak.

*needing sunlight in this climate, thyme does not grow well beneath my bed.  My thyme plant is in the dining room, by the south facing glass doors.  No shortage of chilli flakes in my kitchen.  But until I google it I have no clue what a furikake is.  Sounds like something to sleep on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

10 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I think what made it disappointing was the peas

You keep us endlessly amused. I know you are a good sport and that I could do this without offending you too much. I understand about the peas. 

• Like 4

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

36 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

But until I google it I have no clue what a furikake is.  Sounds like something to sleep on.

Oh you need another collection obsession!   

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Anna N said:

This recipe just didn’t work for me. I followed it except for a few minor things that shouldn’t have mattered. I had to forget the zest and juice of the lemon because my lemon was moldy. I searched and searched under my bed for the herbs but they were nowhere to be found so I had to leave those out. Amazon was out of both furikake and chilli flakes the last time I placed an order. But apart from these minor changes I made the recipe as shown. I found it very disappointing and quite flavourless. Love Jo. 

Hilarious!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

21 hours ago, rotuts said:

@dcarch 

exceptionally fine SV set up.

wha were you Sv'ding in the second pic ?

I see a divider 

what's its role ?

and it seem your water is a bit dark 

and Ive never thought os SV ribs

sound interesting

and you finish them   .....

chers

The board divider is a great "invention" by me. If you use a 48 quarts of water cooker, that's a lot of water to heat up for some shorter items for sous vide. The board is a 1" thick foam board, a very effective insulator. It is adjustable depending on what you are cooking. For instance what you are looking at is the whole bone-in pork butt, which is very big but short. 

Sous vide ribs is also a must for me. I don't understand "falling apart tender". Falling apart only makes meat chewable, not tender. Sous vide makes meat tender. This sous vide setup makes it possible to sous vide 4 full length back ribs at the same time.

The water is dark because I used the same water for almost the whole summer season. Too busy cooking for many parties to keep changing water. All the bags were sealed well so no problem for the food, and some cooking were done at relatively high temperature, so nothing was growing in the water.

So far so good, this summer. By the way, the pandemic is not over. All people to the parties were tested negative before coming, and I equipped my air conditioners with home made HEPA filters.

dcarch

Edited by dcarch (log)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 9/9/2022 at 1:55 PM, heidih said:

Oh you loved it AND still had time for your always innovative and whimsical food plate art :)

Everything went well as planned for all the parties. All except one thing. I never considered how much time I had to spend to explain to guests what is "sous vide cooking". So there was no time for taking pictures. 😛

dcarch

Edited by dcarch (log)
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, dcarch said:

The water is dark because I used the same water for almost the whole summer season.

I’m sorry but I just cannot imagine doing this. 

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

Eracchi ularthiyathu, a very dry Kerala lamb curry. The missus made this for me with me doing a bit of chopping, slicing and spice grinding. Special treat, as she can't enjoy hot food. IMG_20220910_210329.thumb.jpg.0ea10a796d7d10d6e823cacac1443826.jpg

The lamb IMG_20220910_210350.thumb.jpg.d285b2135efbfda92f6c7ef0d608cd24.jpg

Sautéed red onions and curry leaves.

IMG_20220910_210336.thumb.jpg.0f55d870e3b965f5a303060b101c69f4.jpg

Toasted coconut shavings

IMG_20220910_210632.thumb.jpg.91279576cfc3b0f34492b772f42d90af.jpg

Combine and serve:

IMG_20220910_225943.thumb.jpg.950874b243e15124d0ccafa95ede8845.jpg

No vegetables, because why would she waste the effort on that when cooking curry for me?

IMG_20220910_210643.thumb.jpg.2f92576590910698d24c38658d745cd7.jpg

Daughter #2 made a pasta dish with tomato, cream and parmesan for the 3/5 of those dining who cannot tolerate hot curries. Good job, d#2!

• Like 12

17 hours ago, Honkman said:

Simple Goan fish curry with cumin, coriander, chili, ginger, garlic, tomatoes, turmeric, tamarind paste, light brown sugar, cilantro and coconut milk served over rice and with carrot salad

Look at the perfect hexagonal cut on those carrots!  That is food prep artistry.  I'm much too lazy to do that.

5 hours ago, lindag said:

I needed a recipe to use my fresh Hatch Chiles.

I found this one.

Made it for dinner last night and it was excellent.

Ohhh, Hatch chile season.  It only lasts about two weeks where I am in the Southeast, and we don't get those wonderful big roasting tumblers in the parking lots, so we don't get those great smells.  But they're still my favorite chiles.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Kerala said:

Special treat, as she can't enjoy hot food.

... and I won't do all this for myself when everyone else needs feeding. That would feel selfish. But if the missus is doing it, and I'm just helping, and someone else is taking care of feeding the others, it seems alright.

When I write it out like that, no, it doesn't seem to make sense!

• Haha 3

On 9/9/2022 at 9:55 AM, Dejah said:

Beautiful! You are the ultimate guide for me with prime rib.
This was a single rib roast? IN at 500FG for 30 minutes, then taken out to rest?
It's perfectly done! ❤️

@Dejah yes, just single bone and just under 3lbs.

1837315909_WingsSeptember10th20221.thumb.jpg.4d4035cdf6cfe29209b72ee48c7b80d9.jpg

Wings tonight with a shared Caprese Salad.
673898928_CapreseSaladSeptember10th2022.thumb.jpg.77c3a741af570dd09b3bf4c4c6dcae79.jpg
Tomatoes and basil from our garden.
  • Like 13
  • Delicious 5