• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2022

liuzhou

9 hours ago, pastameshugana said:

Is that a compound butter of some sort on top of the patty? Or cheese?

That was a bit abstract on my part. I was multitasking with too many windows open. Afraid I would close the post by mistake, I hit submit without proofreading. 

It is a nice gooey blob of gorgonzola. Burger 'secret sauce' is tBsp each of chili crisp, mayo, grainy mustard, a couple inches of tomato paste and some chopped cornichons. Some toasted seeds. 

Took out half, added some buttermilk for the lettuce dressing. 

'Secret' because I usually have no idea how I made it. Different every time. If someone asks, I have to refer to the pic. Also good with quartered nicoise olives.

Made a warm salad with some of the roasted sheet pan served with lobster. Rest went in the freezer for a chowder or  soup later.

IMG_4130.jpeg

Edited by Annie_H (log)
  • Like 6

Nice to see all the end-of-summer fresh corn and tomatoes. 

A light dinner salad last night. RG large limas, corn, tomatoes, --almost succotash but no summer squash. I think we have a possum. Summer and Fall squash patch was trashed over the weekend. I roasted and froze what I harvested thinking I would have so much more. 

This salad would be nice with shrimp. 

Brown goo is Zhong sauce. 

IMG_4160.jpeg

• Like 5

*I feel the need to add that the NYTimes recipe I posted above is behind a paywall. The recipe went viral when published but many have posted since. Adapted from the Times recipe. Here is a similar one, Light Brioche Buns

Important to note I only use one tSp of sugar to feed the yeast. Recipe calls for 2 and 1/2 tBsp. We don't care for sugary bread. I think traditional brioche has more sugar so not sure if 2 and 1/2 would be too sweet. Never tried it. The Dave's bread is way too sweet for use. I think one of the Dave's grainy loafs is sugar-free but never bothered to look for it. Prefer to make our own. 

@Kim ShookI hope you're feeling better!!!!

I'm getting a bit better every day.  Still very swollen and sore but I can hobble more freely.  Going to be a while before I can outrun someone I think lol.  Thank goodness my cleaning angel was able to come today.  I can do most things but getting in the shower and cleaning it seems very daunting at the moment.

Anyway.  Food:

Ribs, garden tomatoes and shishitos, beans and fries

thumbnail_IMG_2989.jpg.8f5cfee78e2cf7dea773a7121cd50a40.jpg

Hot wings with what I thought was the sauce I always use.  Turns out it's not and it wasn't my favorite.

thumbnail_IMG_2995.jpg.63f3b9ce5acea6b8b8b3e14630c24832.jpg

Ronnie went hunting again on Tuesday so more doves.

thumbnail_IMG_2999.jpg.ed6078f6e2042fc9520ae18f23af3a8b.jpg

I was making some sauce for the freezer so had some pasta and salad on the side.  Made for a nice leisurely cooking time.

thumbnail_IMG_3001.jpg.36a689bface500568f783920c774e835.jpg

Lemon posset for dessert

thumbnail_IMG_3002.jpg.7b1c069e4cc103275e22642e2e1d4ae3.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 3

23 minutes ago, heidih said:

@Shelby Don't overdue!  Th doves always interest me. Never had them. Like quail? Lean so they really need the bacon wrap? All dark meat or?

I overdid a bit yesterday and paid for it all night.  Advil just wouldn't kick in or something.

They are very dark meat and very lean.  The ones pictured were plucked which makes them look a bit lighter but under that skin is very dark.  And yes, so lean that they need the bacon wrap if you grill or roast them in this way.  Plucking takes longer, but I like the way the skin crisps up.  Our hunter friend refuses to pluck so you probably won't see any like that next week lol.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

They are very dark meat and very lean.  The ones pictured were plucked which makes them look a bit lighter but under that skin is very dark.  And yes, so lean that they need the bacon wrap if you grill or roast them in this way.  Plucking takes longer, but I like the way the skin crisps up.  Our hunter friend refuses to pluck so you probably won't see any like that next week lol.

Have you tried SV for them?  I don't know about the skin, but short times work pretty well for very lean meats like that.  But you can never go wrong with bacon!

• Thanks 1

We went out last night, 10 of us, to a Kerala restaurant in Nottingham, Kayal. It's Onam festival, and I should have had the Sadya, but it's vegetarian, and I just wasn't feeling it. My Nepalese-born brother in law decided to get the Onam Sadya.

IMG-20220907-WA0006.thumb.jpg.820e8b04b00945124d76cc6213c683c7.jpg

No banana leaf, no Sadya, I said. The waiter was mildly appalled that I passed on the traditional Onam meal,  pointing out the small strip of leaf on the plate. "Sir you made your brother in law eat the Sadya but you're cheating?"

IMG-20220907-WA0008.thumb.jpg.94525f3aeaa6c44558fc54ba3886b202.jpg

I chose the crab curry. The crab itself was from frozen, OK but not great. The sauce, though, was fabulous.

IMG-20220907-WA0005.thumb.jpg.3245fe33b21f47ab0087bf27233f7a78.jpg

Daughter #2 had the paper dosa. Lovely.

IMG-20220907-WA0007.thumb.jpg.278a2346029aafb2d5c0a6eefd2e94bf.jpg

Daughter #1 had chicken stew.

IMG_20220908_202751.jpg.b50df450f2cd541f8daba60932285229.jpg

Here's a picture of other members of my family having a proper Onam Sadya in London. Note full size banana leaves.

Edited by Kerala (log)
  • Like 13
  • Delicious 2

I'm not a huge fan of lima beans.  I'm not a huge fan of bean salads. So last night...

image.thumb.jpeg.9501a53fa94a9f7d0dadce9df0e46369.jpeg

I made a large lima bean salad.  RG's lima beans cooked the day before with farmer's market tomato, cucumber, sweet onion, red bell pepper, along with various herbs, mustard, a little garlic minced, lemon juice, sherry vinegar, good olive oil; it may just change my mind about limas and bean salads.

• Like 9
  • Delicious 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

1 minute ago, weinoo said:

I made a large lima bean salad

I think the overnight soaking/brining of limas helps them a lot  - these cooked all the way through, without getting mushy - they were nice and creamy.

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

35 minutes ago, Kerala said:

"Sir you made your brother in law eat the Sadya but you're cheating?"

What is it about the meal that your brother-in-law had to be “made” to eat it and you not eating it is considered “cheating”? 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

11 minutes ago, weinoo said:

I made a large lima bean salad. 

Thank heaven that my invitation got lost in the mail. 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

What is it about the meal that your brother-in-law had to be “made” to eat it and you not eating it is considered “cheating”? 

The sadya is a vegetarian meal. It's strictly vegetarian for religious reasons.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

Thank heaven that my invitation got lost in the mail. 😂

57 minutes ago, Kerala said:

The sadya is a vegetarian meal. It's strictly vegetarian for religious reasons.

Thank you for your answer. 

My 2004 eG Blog

7 hours ago, Kerala said:

We went out last night, 10 of us, to a Kerala restaurant in Nottingham, Kayal. It's Onam festival, and I should have had the Sadya, but it's vegetarian, and I just wasn't feeling it. My Nepalese-born brother in law decided to get the Onam Sadya.

IMG-20220907-WA0006.thumb.jpg.820e8b04b00945124d76cc6213c683c7.jpg

No banana leaf, no Sadya, I said. The waiter was mildly appalled that I passed on the traditional Onam meal,  pointing out the small strip of leaf on the plate. "Sir you made your brother in law eat the Sadya but you're cheating?"

IMG-20220907-WA0008.thumb.jpg.94525f3aeaa6c44558fc54ba3886b202.jpg

I chose the crab curry. The crab itself was from frozen, OK but not great. The sauce, though, was fabulous.

IMG-20220907-WA0005.thumb.jpg.3245fe33b21f47ab0087bf27233f7a78.jpg

Daughter #2 had the paper dosa. Lovely.

IMG-20220907-WA0007.thumb.jpg.278a2346029aafb2d5c0a6eefd2e94bf.jpg

Daughter #1 had chicken stew.

IMG_20220908_202751.jpg.b50df450f2cd541f8daba60932285229.jpg

Here's a picture of other members of my family having a proper Onam Sadya in London. Note full size banana leaves.

Thanks, I did a bit of googling and I learned a lot.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Tonight's dinner recipe was from yesterday's NY times.  Boil frozen peas and pasta together in the same pot.  Drain and enjoy with cheese and butter.  It wasn't very good, but at least, when finished, I wasn't very hungry.

• Sad 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

18 hours ago, Annie_H said:

It is a nice gooey blob of gorgonzola. Burger 'secret sauce' is tBsp each of chili crisp, mayo, grainy mustard, a couple inches of tomato paste and some chopped cornichons. Some toasted seeds. 

Sounds delicious!

• Thanks 1

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

8 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Tonight's dinner recipe was from yesterday's NY times.  Boil frozen peas and pasta together in the same pot.  Drain and enjoy with cheese and butter.  It wasn't very good, but at least, when finished, I wasn't very hungry.

I am surprised you were hungry when you started. 

• Haha 6

My 2004 eG Blog

8 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

The recipe I saw included herbs, lemon zest, garlic, lemon juice and olive oil and the accompanying article suggested olive oil, chile flakes, lemon zest and  furikake in addition to the butter and cheese. Didn’t sound bad, though I’d omit the peas 🤣

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

The recipe I saw included herbs, lemon zest, garlic, lemon juice and olive oil and the accompanying article suggested olive oil, chile flakes, lemon zest and  furikake in addition to the butter and cheese. Didn’t sound bad, though I’d omit the peas 🤣

This recipe just didn’t work for me. I followed it except for a few minor things that shouldn’t have mattered. I had to forget the zest and juice of the lemon because my lemon was moldy. I searched and searched under my bed for the herbs but they were nowhere to be found so I had to leave those out. Amazon was out of both furikake and chilli flakes the last time I placed an order. But apart from these minor changes I made the recipe as shown. I found it very disappointing and quite flavourless. Love Jo. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 12

My 2004 eG Blog

Thanks to a recent post by @BonVivant, I made Korean Noodles in Black Bean sauce for dinner.

878216387_KoreanNoodleswithBlackBeanSauceSeptember8th2022.thumb.jpg.9d33af91e496348f4475174f775d5884.jpg

Served over Udon noodles because that was what I had on hand. Plus I love those noodles. 

I must confess though, as much as we both enjoyed this dish, we both prefer the Chinese fermented black beans more than this black bean paste. 

• Like 9