• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2022

liuzhou

3 hours ago, pastameshugana said:

Just last night we were reminding our 17yo daughter to be careful of the cheese grater, and she wasn't taking us seriously. That seems to be a lesson that simply cannot be taught, it must be 'caught'!

A drop of blood is the “je ne sais pas quoi” of my famous Lasagna … really, you grate all those cheeses yourself ?!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

17 hours ago, Shelby said:

Oh I've been whining.  And wining. 🍷😬 I WISH I could order delivery.

I just hold on to the kitchen counters a lot lol.

Sorry to hear of your injury, but still, amazing meals! Hope you are well into recovery by hunting time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

6 hours ago, pastameshugana said:

Just last night we were reminding our 17yo daughter to be careful of the cheese grater, and she wasn't taking us seriously. That seems to be a lesson that simply cannot be taught, it must be 'caught'!

Cheese graters and mandolines could have all the warnings in the world, but do indeed seem to require an injury to make one careful.

If these instruments were available to Solomon he'd have included this in Proverbs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

TRYING to watch the scales and tape measure so I can still fit into the "mother-of-the bride" dress I bought nearly 2 years ago. Our daughter actually got married in a private ceremony, Dec. 2019, on the boulevard in front of their home, which was under major exterior renovations! Their contractor was their witness and her Great Pyr Lily was her Maid of Honour. On Oct 1, we will have a big Celebration of Love party / ceremony when she will also get to wear the gorgeous wedding gown she had picked out.

Pan fried pickerel with Old Bay seasoned Panko crumbs. Hubby had rice and corn, I had all the little tomatoes in a salad

1969001326_Pickerel8614.jpg.fa73f8eec5d801c3b0a2cf1bf6d45975.jpg

I did a low carb air-fry fried chicken thighs with cauliflower fried rice, just before we went to a Johnny Reid concert Sunday evening. The corn was amazingly good from Superstore, .47 a cob. Hubby had the last 2 end pieces.

209167175_KetoFriedChicken8649.jpg.da28971679739ec6ee280d05ff9f5760.jpg

One of my  Elder Chinese "Aunties" gave me some bitter melon from her lovingly tended garden. This is something that we crave whenever we see them! Black Bean Garlic Bitter Melon and Beef on Ho Fun. Altho hubby enjoys the melon, I got the big portion and a few noodles.

1194187088_BeefBitterMelonHoFun8654.jpg.8818493e983740e166e02cd1c9edf41d.jpg

• Like 17
  • Delicious 3

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I brined a chicken Monday morning, and put it on the smoker about 2;30. Pulled it about 5 pm. Made a corn and tomato salad with green peas, basil and tarragon, and marinated some summer squash, zucchini and eggplant in a vaguely Asian glaze and air-fried them.

20220905_183342.thumb.jpg.d8fdf92bd0a0425aec2df6d301f3a1fb.jpg

Then I shelled a quarter bushel of peas and froze them, while halfheartedly watching Clemson and Ga. Tech.

• Like 10
  • Delicious 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

7 hours ago, chromedome said:

I switch monthly, or thereabouts. I've been doing it long enough that I can even use a right mouse left-handed, or vice-versa, without really thinking about it much.

That is what I was doing. Gerardo had a lefty mouse - which I did not know existed and that confused me!

Platter for Two.
838043192_AvocadoandSpotPrawnSaladPlateAugust5th2022.thumb.jpg.a3417caaeabfcfafaf5e83593a08aa6d.jpg

Avocado and Spot Prawn Salad.
I've been making this dish for almost 30 years.
Great as a  first course when entertaining, as it can be put together at the last minute.
Just need to have the prawns cooked and chilled and the dressing made.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 5

6 hours ago, heidih said:

Can you describe your dressing? Also those vibrant red chiles do add oomph. Home grown?33

@heidih, it is a very simple dressing.   The chiles were little Thai chiles.  I only used one, minced fine, as they

were quite hot.  Not home grown.  The only thing that we grew this year are tomatoes. 

Prawn and Avocado Salad
=======================
24 large Prawns/Shrimp
2 Avocados sliced
2 Tablespoons chopped chives
6 leaves of Boston or Butter Lettuce

Dressing
1 cup of Mayonnaise (homemade or Hellmans is best)
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 small fresh red chili, finely chopped
1 clove of minced garlic
(Note: Sometimes I use just hot red pepper flakes and sometimes I roast a fresh red
pepper, finely chop and add to the dressing along with the hot red pepper flakes)

Peel and devein shrimp, leaving on tail shell. Cook. Cool and refrigerate. Make dressing by mixing all of the ingredients together. To serve, place one leaf of lettuce on each plate. Place the shrimp on plate and place one slice of avocado between each shrimp. Drizzle with dressing and sprinkle with chopped chives.

Source: Australian Women’s Weekly Light and Luscious Summertime Cookbook (1994).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

15 hours ago, heidih said:

That is what I was doing. Gerardo had a lefty mouse - which I did not know existed and that confused me!

I started brushing my teeth 'lefty' about 2 years ago just for the heck of it. It's 'almost' second nature now, so I guess I need a new challenge. I don't know about the mouse, that frightens me...

• Haha 1

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

3 hours ago, Ann_T said:

@Shelby, whine all you want.  You are entitled.  I hope you are feeling better soon.

612526669_BurgeronHomemadeKaiserRollSeptember6th2022.thumb.jpg.c6b77f0291a168e70d1a13bca0c0a7d4.jpg

Moe requested burgers so that is what we had.
On homemade Kaiser buns.
Baked this afternoon.

That is a magazine-cover-worthy burger and roll for sure!

• Like 3

PastaMeshugana

A change from the usual roast chicken: Whole Roast Masala Chicken. It was lovely and fragrant. Eaten with Saffron Basmati rice,  peas., and pan juice. The little tomatoes and sliced cukes were all for me.

550957587_RoastMasalaChicken8657.jpg.e0d8fe163551d99ad8acac954b8bd65a.jpg         

2041720038_MasalaChickenplatted8660.jpg.06b71009e8c1c009bd9b31b70656b9a1.jpg

Edited by Dejah (log)
  • Like 10
  • Delicious 6

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

10 hours ago, pastameshugana said:

I agree she nails it. Every time. The burger is still glistening from the pan. Built quick, well timed. It is an art to get a meal to the table at the proper temp. 

Nothing worse than having a meal out, and expensive, to see it sitting under a heat lamp and the server is gabbing with co-workers. And still waiting for a glass of water asked at being seated after a long walk--80+F temps. 

• Like 1

5 day weekend road trip to the Catskill mountains. All about the fresh corn and tomatoes. 

BLT's x3 and salads. Lobsters and killer corn salad and lots of fresh blanched corn for the freezer. Farm stand corn picked that morning.

IMG_4131.jpeg

Screen Shot 2022-09-07 at 2.22.06 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-05 at 1.59.46 PM.png

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1

Home yesterday morning I made fresh burger buns. I'm a hack baker but love this recipe. DH is the bread baker. light brooch buns

Recipe for 8 but I made 16. Burgers from PatLefreida via FreshDirect. We have been grinding our own for years but too busy at this time. 

5 burgers from a pound is our usual. Brisket, chuck, strip tips. 

Buns touching is intentional. Another road trip will be a cut slice through and loaded with lunch salads. (freezer now)...road trip mini tuna, pastrami, Cubano, etc.

IMG_4145.jpeg

Screen Shot 2022-09-06 at 9.15.05 AM.png

• Like 10
  • Delicious 2

19 hours ago, pastameshugana said:

Thank you @pastameshugana.

Prime Rib Dinner.
1846076882_PrimeRibPresaltedandReadyfortheovenSeptember7th2022.thumb.jpg.8d3ecc80d2a90940c8ed48362997fa90.jpg
Picked up a Sterling Silver Prime Rib on Tuesday and presalted.
Left in the fridge overnight and taken out and left on the counter to warm up two hours prior to roasting.
1648754955_PrimeRibslicedSeptember7th2022.thumb.jpg.32451ccee9c7f3fdfa77363c4536e678.jpg
I roast everything on high heat so this roast went into a 500°F oven for approximately 30 minutes.
891483104_PrimeRibservedSeptember7th20222.thumb.jpg.ffa6e7855ab9d7f0b05216c4de42db11.jpg

Rested while the Yorkshire Puddings were baking. Made individual puddings, baked in two 6" cast iron skillets.
118566437_PrimeRibservedSeptember7th20221.thumb.jpg.ab703e4dfbb9ec78e5e4d8feac8cb7f0.jpg
Served with mashed potatoes, steamed peas, au jus and horseradish.
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 7

@Norm Matthews – I love the look of your kebabs.  It reminds me of my childhood.  Kebabs were one of my mom’s go-to company meals.  She would always make one for me with just the meat!  I also love the sprouts as a side dish!

@weinoo – Sorry your hand is still hurting.  I’ve had a couple of hand surgeries and it really surprised me how long it took for those to heal!  Pizza looks great, though. I’d love to be able to grab a slice like that here in Richmond. 

@gfweb – prayers for everyone affected at your house and your guests’. 

@Shelby – sorry, I’ve been MIA with this cold/whatever and I missed your question.  Yes, we froze a lot of the BBQ.  A couple of Jessica’s friends really came through for us when our refrigerator broke down.  One lent us a dorm fridge and another one GAVE us another one.  So they both got some of the BBQ.  As did some other folks.  But we have a LOT of it left.  Poor you!!!  I’m so sorry for the injury!  It sounds awful.  Hope you are healing well.  I can’t believe that you have a guest coming, too!  I’ve said it before – you are my hero!!!

Am still feeling the effects of a upper respiratory infection that started last Friday.  Tested negative for COVID, thank goodness, but I’ve been pretty miserable.  Last Friday night was this starting to not feel great dinner:

1-IMG_0578.jpg.986bab58b94915fb050b811e5225f751.jpg

Whitefish salad, sourdough ET bagel, and college student ramen.

On Saturday, I was too out of it to cook, but still hungry.  We got dinner at Yen Ching, our neighborhood place.  Hot & Sour and Wonton soups:

1-IMG_0584.thumb.jpg.046c28eadd5d0d405cce2b33a4682af9.jpg

Mr. Kim’s orange beef:

1-IMG_0585.jpg.94cb9c5f3bc7ede4de1f929abbefe85b.jpg

My Five Taste shrimp with water chestnuts:

1-IMG_0586.jpg.5ec21fd9fc7e4fc3291b31afa38b0cf7.jpg

My first time trying this, and it was tasty.  Though, I’d have loved a few more vegetables – maybe some snow peas and bean sprouts.

On the way home, more comfort food:

1-IMG_0587.jpg.26855285d6470f14c038ca3d65682de0.jpg

😁

Sunday was a very un-Sunday-ish supper!  Dogs, Sloppy Joes, and some Mrs. Fearnow’s Brunswick stew (local brand):

1-IMG_0601.thumb.jpg.438882b2a1d1f7f3365d441043d4ba4c.jpg

1-IMG_0602.thumb.jpg.e6a9734e863e64cf5f7fcb204af498e0.jpg

The stew tasted weird to me (meds maybe?), so I ended up with the oh-so-healthy dinner of two fatty meats on white buns 🙄

Monday was something I’d been planning for a few days but was too sick to cook.  Kielbasa, kraut, pierogies, and some good, crusty bread:

1-IMG_0610.thumb.jpg.18ed0faaf5ed6a9f6e0f02356c18abcf.jpg

1-IMG_0609.jpg.c9af292d70f1eef90679191e558e3eee.jpg

Tonight:

1-IMG_0619.thumb.jpg.9e895dcc21ae3c154a0f7cd27657456c.jpg

Next door neighbor’s ribs, Mr. Kim’s BBQ, Jessica’s quick pickles, corn, slaw, and Patti’s oven fries.

With cornbread:

1-IMG_0618.jpg.a15c60fef454321de3c7a3805cf01399.jpg

Close up of Jessica’s pickles:

1-IMG_0617.thumb.jpg.6778bbcdd8f051452e901db3c3ca0f20.jpg

Really good – crisp and just the perfect amount of dill and sharpness. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

7 hours ago, Annie_H said:

IMG_4145.jpeg

Is that a compound butter of some sort on top of the patty? Or cheese?

All of these pictures are beautiful and the food looks delicious!

• Thanks 1

PastaMeshugana

Thanks for all the covid concerns. Both people who were coming but caught the virus are doing fine. My household remains, amazingly, covid free for three years (or whatever it has been).  I cannot explain that. We have been careful, but not at all isolated.

• Like 7