• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2022

liuzhou

52 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Having a few people over for dinner today. Until both households came down with covid.

Anybody want some pulled pork, slaw, beans, tomato salad and a plum-cornbread dessert?

Sorry to hear it, but I'd gladly take some of that pulled pork and amazing sounding dessert off your hands, if but for the ocean(s) separating us...

• Like 2

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

@Ann_THappy Birthday!!--that is a stunning meal.  I love the way the potatoes look.

@DejahHappy Anniversary!!  Beautiful conserve.  It will be so nice to have those jars this winter!

@Kim ShookYour fried green tomatoes have me drooling.  We barely have enough red tomatoes so I don't think the green ones will be picked for that this year...I will have to envy yours on the screen.  And that pork butt YUM.  Did you freeze it or??

@weinooI hope your hand heals quickly.  That looks very painful.

@gfwebUGH I'm so sorry.  I hope it's not severe and goes away very soon.  

I got in-between Scout and a thrown frisbee a week ago.  She was running full tilt and hit me square in the back of the knees.  Ronnie said my head and feet changed positions.  I hit the ground hard.  Immediate pain in my lower leg, ankle and foot.  Nothing is broken, just a reaaaaaaalllly bad sprain.  It's very swollen and black and blue.  AND it's the same leg that had the vasculitis.  ARRRRGH.  47 just hasn't been my year.  I'm ready to be 48 lol.

So, a lot of hobbling around...I'm still cooking but I've neglected taking a lot of pictures because.  Well, the leg.

Made another batch of sauce for the freezer.  So that with some Italian sausage.

thumbnail_IMG_2955.jpg.626f664ca14586cc9936ee9456b0449a.jpg

Fried and then pressure cooked chicken.  Fried okra and tomatoes from the garden.  Mashed and gravy.

thumbnail_IMG_2959.jpg.51da0e270707aac6fd1ef1ae05b3d2eb.jpg

Dove season opened Thursday so doves stuffed with onions and jalapeños from the garden.  Mac and cheese, tomatoes and spinach.

thumbnail_IMG_2970.jpg.b6dc6a2f24298533b629e19765210591.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2971.jpg.cb8188f747142e8b3370cb455315de5c.jpg

We planted an apple tree like probably 17-18 years ago.  It made apples for the first time!!  6 of them...well, actually 7 but a raccoon got one :( .  So, I decided to make a little crostata.

thumbnail_IMG_2978.jpg.306b5691d3b8ea55ba9810dd77328f88.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2979.jpg.3bb02b93d53d9125426a39f3cbec68ac.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2982.jpg.34aba13daee39d53293a1f861e1d85f6.jpg

Very exciting to eat our own apples!

Venison cheeseburger pizza rounds it out.

thumbnail_IMG_2983.jpg.40787fd523c8504a23acf80f42720925.jpg

Our hunter friend comes next week so I'll be over on the usual blog around Monday or Tuesday :)

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 2
  • Sad 3

16 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I got in-between Scout and a thrown frisbee a week ago.

Ouch. I hope it heals quickly. Really looking forward to your little blog!

• Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

@Shelby  Nice use of the precious few apples. I didn't appreciate the bounty when our apples bore madly. At my cottage I only got a few before the night bandits. Did not think of something as good as your crostata!

Scout ploughing into you - beyond major OUCH!! Murphy did something similar to ex (Mr 5th degree back belt, breaks bricks with his hand) - the moaning groaning and needing sympathy went on for some time... That much concentrated weight and energy can do more damage than expected. Amazed you were able to put together the tasty looking meals you shared.

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, KennethT said:

@ShelbyOuch!  Yikes, that sucks... but I'm glad you didn't land on your head... that would be even worse!  I'm amazed you can cook feeling that way.  I'd be whining lying on the couch, ordering delivery...

Oh I've been whining.  And wining. 🍷😬 I WISH I could order delivery.

I just hold on to the kitchen counters a lot lol.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, Shelby said:

I got in-between Scout and a thrown frisbee a week ago.  She was running full tilt and hit me square in the back of the knees.  Ronnie said my head and feet changed positions.  I hit the ground hard.  Immediate pain in my lower leg, ankle and foot.  Nothing is broken, just a reaaaaaaalllly bad sprain.  It's very swollen and black and blue.  AND it's the same leg that had the vasculitis.  ARRRRGH.  47 just hasn't been my year.  I'm ready to be 48 lol.

I feel for you. A few weeks ago, stepdaughter's massive mastiff cross thought it would be funny to dash between my legs at full tilt while I was in mid-stride (and bear in mind, I'm only 5'7" and relatively short of leg, at that). Fortunately she caught me at just the right part of my stride, and I was able to three-hop my way back into equilibrium without any unscheduled gymnastics. It wouldn't happen that way again in a million years.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Components for Vietnamese bun with shrimp. Next time not cutting carrots by hand, I can’t julienne. And deeper bowls would have been better for eating…but scratched an itch.

2C0FEA39-4288-459B-BB7B-35EF26F9EEE2.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 2

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

23 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Henry loves to hit the back of my knee as I go down stairs. He's a turd 

My dog likes to zig zag down the stairs in front of me when we're going out. He'll also stop suddenly to make sure I'm coming and I have narrowly escaped a fall down the stairs many a time. I repeatedly tell him that he's literally going to be the death of me!

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, BeeZee said:

Components for Vietnamese bun with shrimp. Next time not cutting carrots by hand, I can’t julienne. And deeper bowls would have been better for eating…but scratched an itch.

2C0FEA39-4288-459B-BB7B-35EF26F9EEE2.jpeg

I have a julienne "peeler" that works like a charm. It is deadly sharp and does a great job. Mine is very similar to this: https://www.amazon.ca/Sunkuka-Julienne-Stainless-Cleaning-Vegetable/dp/B01LYWRRIT/ref=asc_df_B01LYWRRIT/?tag=googleshopc0c-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=292955320285&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5854034741885585706&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9001524&hvtargid=pla-313536859093&psc=1

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MaryIsobel said:

Thanks, since I didn’t want to drag out the Cuisinart, this would have been handy!

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

23 minutes ago, BeeZee said:

Thanks, since I didn’t want to drag out the Cuisinart, this would have been handy!

It was a great little investment. I do however wear a no-cut glove on my hand that is holding the veg, as I have julienned my knuckles more than once before using the glove.

• Sad 2

12 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

It was a great little investment. I do however wear a no-cut glove on my hand that is holding the veg, as I have julienned my knuckles more than once before using the glove.

Hold the veg down on a cutting board and peel with the right hand.  

No blood that way

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

Henry loves to hit the back of my knee as I go down stairs. He's a turd 

I also have a Henry but he's a cat, a very nasty cat. He likes to walk in front of me and stop all of a sudden. Fortunately I've only stepped on him instead of tripping over him. But I'm afraid that day will come.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

Unless you're left-handed.  🙂

Ha! I try to be ambidextrous - lots of dominant (right)injuries but the instinct is strong., I had a vivid dream (curse these hot nights) discussing my sis and I trying to be computer mouse ambi-  in dream it was mousi-dexterous., At work her colleagues actually calendar a week each way to avoid injury. Crazy making day when you go to someone's desk and they have a lefty mouse.

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Hold the veg down on a cutting board and peel with the right hand.  

No blood that way

I think my knuckle julienning comes from my frugality and not wanting to waste that last little stub!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, MaryIsobel said:

I think my knuckle julienning comes from my frugality and not wanting to waste that last little stub!

Don't you have nine more?

• Haha 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

3 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Don't you have nine more?

Just last night we were reminding our 17yo daughter to be careful of the cheese grater, and she wasn't taking us seriously. That seems to be a lesson that simply cannot be taught, it must be 'caught'!

• Sad 3

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

7 hours ago, heidih said:

Ha! I try to be ambidextrous - lots of dominant (right)injuries but the instinct is strong., I had a vivid dream (curse these hot nights) discussing my sis and I trying to be computer mouse ambi-  in dream it was mousi-dexterous., At work her colleagues actually calendar a week each way to avoid injury. Crazy making day when you go to someone's desk and they have a lefty mouse.

I switch monthly, or thereabouts. I've been doing it long enough that I can even use a right mouse left-handed, or vice-versa, without really thinking about it much.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Dinner09062022.jpg

Rib steak.  Sister of the wretched one that pulled out my crown the other night.  This time not grilled but braised into submission for five hours.  Tender and delicious.  Surprisingly so.

Special mention for the mashed potato.  This heroic tuber was old and soft some weeks ago when I almost threw it out.  But while a little flaccid it wasn't really rotten so I awarded it a second chance.  Besides, I remember fondly selecting it from the potato bin at Shoprite with much promise in its heart.  One of the finest mashed potatoes I have made.  May its memory shine as long as the sun, or at least as long as eGullet lasts.

There are leftovers.

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou