• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2022

liuzhou

As my hand is very much in the still healing mode...sometimes you gotta make do...

image.thumb.jpeg.a8835afe8d5f3a591ec901d8ae463365.jpeg

So I picked up some slices at Scarr's Pizza (not reheated by them, but right into a box) on my walk around the other day. I'd sautéed some escarole the night before, and the corn is easy enough. As a matter of fact, I cooked the corn in the steam girl, as I was preheating her with the pizza stone in there. Then the pizza took barely 4 minutes to get to a really nice state. 2 slices of what we call plain, and 2 Grandma slices - dinner was easy & fine.

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

On 9/1/2022 at 4:04 PM, Norm Matthews said:

I decided I wanted Kabobs today. I asked Charlie if he'd prefer chicken or beef.  He said he didn't care.  Why not do both.  That's what I did. The chicken was brined briefly before marinated in honey and soy sauce.  The beef was also marinated.

What a wonderful summer dinner.   

@Dejah, perfectly cooked steak.  

@Weinoo, hope your hand is better soon. 

Dinner for Two.

700632006_GrilledChickenBreastClubHouseonGrilledCiabattaSeptember3rd2022.thumb.jpg.0926ab69ac243d07f308cf2852328e36.jpg

Grilled Chicken Breast Club House on homemade Ciabatta.
Ciabatta was toasted on the grill.
Cut russet potatoes into wedges and roasted in the oven with a little olive oil.
  • Like 11
  • Delicious 5

49 minutes ago, mgaretz said:

Burgers again, on brioche bread with homemade 1000 island, served with corn on the cob.

burger-corn4.jpg.cebb9a1f41035dabb19e38fdddf703f0.jpg

Can you share the rough recipe for your 1000 Island?  

IMG_20220904_162642.thumb.jpg.94b52f9e5f30cbb792c295d2b656a4bc.jpg

Big bbq for a load of people but this is all the pics I got. Then I was too busy so no pics. Butterflied leg of lamb, chicken thighs... IMG_20220904_185607.thumb.jpg.2571a80756bf5e71ee08763cef7280c1.jpg

I did have a monster Negroni, so I was able to get it all done with no fuss.

• Like 15
  • Delicious 1

3 hours ago, heidih said:

Can you share the rough recipe for your 1000 Island?  

Sure.  About 2 parts mayo, 1.5 parts sweet pickle relish, .5 parts ketchup.  Garlic powder, salt, pepper.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

38 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Consider flat iron steak

Thanks. It is less a case of affordability than my refusal to pay current outrageous prices. I am not convinced that our cattle farmers are suddenly buying Ferraris or booking vacations on luxury yachts. Nor am I convinced that the high price of beef will lead to reduced carbon emissions. So for now steak (beef) is off the menu. 

• Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Thanks. It is less a case of affordability than my refusal to pay current outrageous prices. I am not convinced that our cattle farmers are suddenly buying Ferraris or booking vacations on luxury yachts. Nor am I convinced that the high price of beef will lead to reduced carbon emissions. So for now steak (beef) is off the menu. 

I know how you feel.  I swore off NY strip halfway into Covid because of the price gouging. It hasn't gotten better even now. Costo had fairly priced beef at one time. Not any more.

• Like 3

@Dante Loving your hearty greens. I have yet to try the gelatin enrichment for broth/stock thinking I'll get bck to having chicken feet on hand. Must try. How did you incorporate the bacon fat w/ gelatin ?

22 hours ago, KennethT said:

Got takeout from Kanoyama

We were at Kanoyama Friday night! I did the sashimi/sushi thing, and it was good.

Only problem was we had a waitperson in training, and that person was sort of an idiot!

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

9 hours ago, gfweb said:

I know how you feel.  I swore off NY strip halfway into Covid because of the price gouging. It hasn't gotten better even now. Costo had fairly priced beef at one time. Not any more.

I truly think the gouging comes from different parts of the delivery system, not necessarily the farmer raising the cow.  Then again, hasn't it always?

But in any event, we eat less beef than before, but still enjoy a good, sometimes expensive steak; the difference being that I can practically squeeze 2 meals (for the 2 of us) out of a 16 oz. strip steak, making the (once again) price per portion quite reasonable. And really reasonable compared to going out to a steak house.

• Like 5

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Meat

of what ever cut // animal // grade // etc

has always been significantly cheaper

when On-the-Plate   

@ Home  

vs Out

and Meat is not that difficult to cook to ones 

Standard .

this differential does not hold up as well

if TheBocuse Truffled Soup  

is your target .

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, weinoo said:

We were at Kanoyama Friday night! I did the sashimi/sushi thing, and it was good.

Only problem was we had a waitperson in training, and that person was sort of an idiot!

Yeah, their sushi/sashimi combo is really good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

I truly think the gouging comes from different parts of the delivery system, not necessarily the farmer raising the cow.  Then again, hasn't it always?

But in any event, we eat less beef than before, but still enjoy a good, sometimes expensive steak; the difference being that I can practically squeeze 2 meals (for the 2 of us) out of a 16 oz. strip steak, making the (once again) price per portion quite reasonable. And really reasonable compared to going out to a steak house.

Completely agree. Its the distributors and retailers that jack up the prices.

Because they can.

At this point I have no reason to go to Costco except parmigiano reggiano.

I'm to the point of going to overpriced butchers because at least there I can at least look the thief in the eye.

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

Yeah, the bar that's set for hiring help appears to be much lower these days.

41 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Having a few people over for dinner today. Until both households came down with covid.

Anybody want some pulled pork, slaw, beans, tomato salad and a plum-cornbread dessert?

Well, damn. Best wishes for a quick recovery.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com