• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2022

liuzhou

39 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Internet finally provided clues for my m-i-l's childhood memory, whet she called bacon dumplings.    Easy, very delicious Croatian bread dumplings.

1292909478_Croationbacondumplings.-09-01at5_49_08PM.png.7ce2a46208df19a2230f54bbba3ce5d8.png

A lovely bowl on a temperate 66F evening.    Blessed fog.

Nice - all those bread dumplings are a childhood comfort memory. Thanks. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

Thai style steamed fish (wild caught cod) with 5 herbs.

@KennethT, That looks delicious.  I wish I had seen your photo before I made dinner tonight.  I would have made the same thing with halibut. 

Instead I made Moe Pan fried halibut with browned butter and lemon. 

1882997664_PanFriedHalibutSeptember1st20221.thumb.jpg.4cdd36bb7a9631c66e84de3497180d50.jpg

Served with steamed broccoli and roasted potato wedges.

1537359837_PanFriedHalibutSeptember1st20222.thumb.jpg.46209131004b3e247fa4f9297bd013c6.jpg

Beautiful big white flakes. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 7

8 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

@KennethT, That looks delicious.  I wish I had seen your photo before I made dinner tonight.  I would have made the same thing with halibut. 

Instead I made Moe Pan fried halibut with browned butter and lemon. 

1882997664_PanFriedHalibutSeptember1st20221.thumb.jpg.4cdd36bb7a9631c66e84de3497180d50.jpg

Served with steamed broccoli and roasted potato wedges.

1537359837_PanFriedHalibutSeptember1st20222.thumb.jpg.46209131004b3e247fa4f9297bd013c6.jpg

Beautiful big white flakes. 

Thanks but your halibut is gorgeous (as is everything you make)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

Very timely due to the discussion with @TicTac - I actually planned this for yesterday but wound up getting home too late.

Thai style steamed fish (wild caught cod) with 5 herbs.

What herbs? Cilantro and?

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

@Anna N I too love the bone in canned salmon. Luckily, hubby isn't a fan. So I always dig it out and eat right away!
Mouth is all better today! Safeway had prime rib steaks on for $8.88 / lb. I went this morning and grabbed 2 packages of 2 steaks, and a small roast.

BBQ one with just Montreal Steak spice. I got the bone! A friend gave me 2 lovely cobs of corn from a roadside stand, and a few little new taters. Had green peppercorn gravy on the side. Neither of us used it.

Nice to be able to chew again.    

628961048_PrimeRibSTeaks8581.jpg.0f1fdee2a83b77a13cf87b910b92eb86.jpg

1282733214_Steakplated8582.jpg.2d2c4670e67044bea3685fe839633aa9.jpg

Started the process yesterday for hubby's Nana's Peach Apricot, Pineapple Conserve. I believe I featured it in my blog years ago. Finished the process tonight after supper. Used 14 lbs of B.C. Freestone peaches, 4 lbs of apricots (SO expensive and rather tasteless) and 4 tins of pineapple chunks. Got 16x500 ml jars, and 3/4 cup leftover that we ate for dessert!

1158517954_NanasConserve8585.jpg.570a9d0cfa8c8aac65630cbb0da5da2e.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 5

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

7 hours ago, TicTac said:

(unless I am missing something, surely our resident food historian @liuzhou can chime in and clarify!).

I am no food historian, just a casual reader. However, I am certain that while China is renowned (often incorrectly) for steaming, it certainly doesn't own it. Cultures all over the world use it to some extent.

The ancient Romans steamed food and they sure didn't learn it from China. Iceland and New Zealand both used geothermal springs to steam over. Modern Italy independently came up up with al cartoccio, better known in French as en papillote - a combination of baking and steaming, also used in China with fish as 纸包鱼 (zhǐ bāo yú - literally 'paper bag fish').  Haggis is steamed in Scotland.

People have the same ideas over and over again.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 4

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

44 minutes ago, Dejah said:

@Anna N I too love the bone in canned salmon. Luckily, hubby isn't a fan. So I always dig it out and eat right away!
Mouth is all better today! Safeway had prime rib steaks on for $8.88 / lb. I went this morning and grabbed 2 packages of 2 steaks, and a small roast.

BBQ one with just Montreal Steak spice. I got the bone! A friend gave me 2 lovely cobs of corn from a roadside stand, and a few little new taters. Had green peppercorn gravy on the side. Neither of us used it.

Nice to be able to chew again.    

628961048_PrimeRibSTeaks8581.jpg.0f1fdee2a83b77a13cf87b910b92eb86.jpg

1282733214_Steakplated8582.jpg.2d2c4670e67044bea3685fe839633aa9.jpg

Started the process yesterday for hubby's Nana's Peach Apricot, Pineapple Conserve. I believe I featured it in my blog years ago. Finished the process tonight after supper. Used 14 lbs of B.C. Freestone peaches, 4 lbs of apricots (SO expensive and rather tasteless) and 4 tins of pineapple chunks. Got 16x500 ml jars, and 3/4 cup leftover that we ate for dessert!

1158517954_NanasConserve8585.jpg.570a9d0cfa8c8aac65630cbb0da5da2e.jpg

Oh apricots - last time I had decent were from an old tree in the backyard of an estate sale house - kids said- pick away. 

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1

9 hours ago, Dejah said:

What herbs? Cilantro and?

Chicken stock was first simmered with some daun salam (Indonesian bay leaf) and home grown kaffir lime leaves.  Those were then removed and the other herbs are cilantro, Thai basil and rau ram aka laksa leaf aka Vietnamese coriander (the last two being home grown).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, KennethT said:

Wait a minute... I just noticed... do my eyes deceive me or did you steam that fish without the skin?!?  And aren't green onions alliums also?

Good catch.  I steamed it with skin on, but I like to remove the skin right after steaming (it comes off so easily) prior to placing the ginger and green onion on.  The fish monger does not always get all of the scales off and this way I can create a far more enjoyable eating experience.  And yes - green onions are alliums, but the green portion is apparently somewhat more tolerable to those who are impacted by alliums.  I gave up garlic, I cannot totally give up onions as well....oy.

Your steamed halibut looks great.  What is in the liquid?

Edit - see chicken stock, love that idea - did you steam it in/with the stock?  Also, love the punchy flavours of rau ram.  Such an improved version of coriander (imo!)

Edited by TicTac (log)
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TicTac said:

Good catch.  I steamed it with skin on, but I like to remove the skin right after steaming (it comes off so easily) prior to placing the ginger and green onion on.  The fish monger does not always get all of the scales off and this way I can create a far more enjoyable eating experience.  And yes - green onions are alliums, but the green portion is apparently somewhat more tolerable to those who are impacted by alliums.  I gave up garlic, I cannot totally give up onions as well....oy.

Your steamed halibut looks great.  What is in the liquid?

Too bad about the scales - have you ever scaled it yourself?  I love the skin on steamed fish - so gelatinous!  Mine is cod, not halibut - I wish it was halibut but it is really expensive around here right now.  The liquid is chicken stock, a little palm sugar, fish sauce and lime juice.  Plus garlic, 1.5 Thai chillies and 2 prik chee faa (mild spur chillies).

• Thanks 1

I let them scale it.  I attempted to remove most of the ones I could find, but there are always some small ones usually around the gill areas that sneak in and find their way into my mouth (hate that!).  You can keep your steamed fish skin, I prefer mine crispy! 😛

• Like 1

On 9/1/2022 at 6:04 PM, Norm Matthews said:

I decided I wanted Kabobs today. I asked Charlie if he'd prefer chicken or beef.  He said he didn't care.  Why not do both.  That's what I did. The chicken was brined briefly before marinated in honey and soy sauce.  The beef was also marinated.

IMG_0185.jpg

WOW! You DO go all out! Looks lovely.
Love soybean sprouts, but don't find them often here in our small city.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Had the 2 granddaughters here for the afternoon and evening. All they ever want when they come is Cantonese noodles, with RAW vegetables.
I prepped a plate of cucumbers, carrots, and cherry tomatoes for them, to pick along with their noodles.
Hubby and I had stir-fried vegetables, leftover prime rib steak, and a few shrimp.

Then I found out both girls like med-rare steak! So they got those pieces. We still had enough.

Dessert was a fresh juicy peach, followed by 1/2 hour later with a Buttermilk Blueberry Muffin.
                                                                                               821228189_SurfTurfNoodles8603.jpg.1c6f4e0b28d2fea2a8c67160999c7788.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

9 hours ago, Dejah said:

WOW! You DO go all out! Looks lovely.
Love soybean sprouts, but don't find them often here in our small city.

Thanks.  Here in Kansas City the one place I have found sprouts lately is at Asian markets but when I don't want to drive that far, I use canned ones.  They don't need cooking first.

• Like 2

On 9/3/2022 at 7:54 PM, Norm Matthews said:

Thanks.  Here in Kansas City the one place I have found sprouts lately is at Asian markets but when I don't want to drive that far, I use canned ones.  They don't need cooking first.

It will surprise no one, I'm sure, but here every market and supermarket has 4 or 5 types of bean sprouts. Soy bean sprouts and mung bean sprouts are the most common, but I can usually find alfalfa sprouts, peanut sprouts  and pea sprouts. Sometimes chickpea/garbanzo sprouts.

The good news for those not lucky enough to live beside me (😁), they are all easy to propogate at home.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 4

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I cooked last night for the first time in a month. Three weeks of no ac and then a couple of days of being under the weather has kept me out of the kitchen. So last night was a celebration. Steak, baked potato and salad. The steaks (a ribeye and a strip, because that was what came to hand when I was rummaging in the freezer) and then seared on the grill after a chill in ice water and then in the fridge.

No photos because we fell on it as though it were Rome and we were starving Mongol hordes.

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

15 minutes ago, kayb said:

The steaks (a ribeye and a strip, because that was what came to hand when I was rummaging in the freezer) and then seared on the grill after a chill in ice water and then in the fridge.

I am guessing they were sous-vide?

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Yes. I sort of failed to say that, didn't I? My beef provider sells pasture raised, grass fed and finished, beef, and it has a good bit of chew to the steak if you don't SV.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com