• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2022

liuzhou

I got some tomatoes at the Farmer's Market this morning and a boneless rib roast at Costco this afternoon.  I figured I could cut 6 steaks from the roast but Charlie said he'd like to use some of it for bulgogi.  After I cut one steak, we both agreed that one steak between us would be plenty. I made a stuffed potato in the microwave. PS we split a peach from the Farmer's Market a little later.

image.jpeg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 13
  • Delicious 2

2 hours ago, Norm Matthews said:

I got some tomatoes at the Farmer's Market this morning and a boneless rib roast at Costco this afternoon.  I figured I could cut 6 steaks from the roast but Charlie said he'd like to use some of it for bulgogi.  After I cut one steak, we both agreed that one steak between us would be plenty. I made a stuffed potato in the microwave. PS we split a peach from the Farmer's Market a little later.

image.jpeg

I don't really know what a boneless rib roast is, and I don't eat beef anymore anyway, but that looks fabulous. Could you expand a little bit on the stuffed potato, @Norm Matthews?

Visually, I'm inspired to do a baked potato meal with lobster or prawn in mayo!

• Like 1

On 8/19/2022 at 10:20 PM, Honkman said:

Lemon shrimp risotto - made with a broth from shrimp shells and lemon peel. Shrimps added at the end and cooked off heat with the residual heat. Afterwards added lemon juice and zest as well as a little bit of heavy cream, egg yolk and basil. And finished with a few drops of olive oil.

0FFF967B-3B9B-404B-9E73-80704899FCAB.thumb.jpeg.7b2f8dd6c00785703eb4e6257ace66ae.jpeg

Oh, if only my first experience of risotto had looked like this. I like to order stuff in restaurants that's new to me. But my first experience of risotto turned me off it for many years. What I got was a bland dry lump of -- something. And got charged a pretty penny for it too.  😁

But I have had at least one tasty risotto since then. Yours looks absolutely fabulous.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Kerala said:

I don't really know what a boneless rib roast is, and I don't eat beef anymore anyway, but that looks fabulous. Could you expand a little bit on the stuffed potato, @Norm Matthews?

Visually, I'm inspired to do a baked potato meal with lobster or prawn in mayo!

A rib roast is often called a standing or prime rib roast. Sometimes the rib bones are removed for easier carving.  When cut into individual serving serving sizes, it is called a ribeye steak.   A rack of those ribs alone are called prime ribs.

The stuffed potato starts by splitting a whole baked potato and scooping out the insides, leaving enough on the sides for support.  This a list of ingredients for 8 potatoes:

8 baking potatoes

3 tablespoons of olive oil

2 sticks of unsalted butter

1 cup of sour cream

1 cup of cheddar or Jack cheese

1 cup of whole milk

2 teaspoons of seasoned salt

3 green onions (chopped)

Salt and pepper (to taste0

Mix together all ingredients with the potatoes except the green onions and cheese.  Scoop the mixture back into the potato shells, top with the cheese and bake until reheated through and cheese is melted.  Serve topped with green onion.  That is the basic recipe,  You can improvise.  This time I used cream cheese instead of sour cream, omitted the milk and used mozzarella instead of cheddar and mixed the white part of the onions in with the rest of the ingredients and garnished the top with chives.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Thank you, @Norm Matthews

Air fryer pork belly.

IMG_20220821_150724.thumb.jpg.e2cb7ffe45987dc62d08d6b3ce005391.jpg

I'm messing about with different temperatures and times, and the crackling was variable, some really crisp, some chewey. As I write, I realise I put the skin down on the wet surface when I applied seasoning to the meat side. This was after fastidiously salting and mopping dry the skin. Doh! This belongs in the "I will never again..."  thread!

IMG_20220821_150630.thumb.jpg.861e061f80dc0166f408eb7d447e828b.jpgIMG_20220821_150559.thumb.jpg.628313c85b4c92b6b90b7a7cdd6bfabd.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 2
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Kerala said:

Thank you, @Norm Matthews

Air fryer pork belly.

IMG_20220821_150724.thumb.jpg.e2cb7ffe45987dc62d08d6b3ce005391.jpg

I'm messing about with different temperatures and times, and the crackling was variable, some really crisp, some chewey. As I write, I realise I put the skin down on the wet surface when I applied seasoning to the meat side. This was after fastidiously salting and mopping dry the skin. Doh! This belongs in the "I will never again..."  thread!

Can you expand on how you prepared the skin? My grandson wants to try to make Siu Yook. I haven't made this for a long time, way before air fryers. I think I'd try in the air fryer basket of my Ninja Foodie instead of the SP101. Might be easier clean up than the SP101. Thanks in advance.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

@Dejah

I scored the skin using a sharpie knife, taking care not to penetrate through to the meat. Then salted and rubbed it. Leaving it out for 20 minutes draws out plenty of moisture. I mopped the surface dry with paper towels. Add pepper and rub in. I'm not sure whether rubbing in a little vegetable oil at this point does any good. Then in the Ninja at 160 C for 20 minutes per pound/500g,then 10 minutes at 200C.

Worked really well.

• Thanks 2

First pizza & movie night after the holidays …

Family-style, 3/4 mushroom & sausage and 1/4 curried SV chicken breast & mango (leftovers, clearly). 

FFF2AFDB-A3D4-41ED-8A90-0F2B602088DA.thumb.jpeg.6c47b477ccdbb1b8bff6226566c50520.jpeg

Plus a Duvel IPA 🤗

4DCD273C-0895-457D-9A79-576E06B73738.thumb.jpeg.50db48475bf5e0516fb88e8fb7aa82e5.jpeg

Enjoyed while watching Riverdance

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Mid-week pasta. I think Thursday night. Nice pasta shape that really held the sauce nicely. 2 for 9$ FreshDirect. My cart has a few now to stock-up. Cheap little tomato cartons for pantry back-ups---2 for 3$ Misfits. Meant for stews, chili, or background tomatoes but rather nice in a spicy quick sauce added to leeks, garlic, shallots, minced celery. Spicy with chipotle. 

Star of the show was the brocollini. I over-blanched, on purpose, for 2 minutes. Perfect. Meant to sear/roast with the merguez but 'don't fuckit up'. --I snacked on most of it in the kitchen. I've ordered more, double more. 

Screen Shot 2022-08-19 at 8.32.13 AM.jpeg

• Like 11

Regarding stuffed potatoes, there are two methods I've tried, using mashed potatoes and using small chopped potatoes.

The mashed type requires much more added fat to not just be mashed potatoes and i find the flavor of additions eg bacon or lobster tends to get lost in the potato mixture.

The chopped potatoes are done roughly with a spoon after baking and are mildly chunky. They need less cheese/mayo/sour cream to have the right consistency and any addition's flavor isn't hidden.

I wouldn't say one is superior, they are just different

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Friday night we had the 'great American dog', or the great Brooklyn dog. Sadly we used up the dog buns on shrimp, lobster, fried oyster rolls... so did not get the full dog experience. We thought Brooklyn was out of business but when our local Fairway hit their first bankruptcy they stopped paying their vendors so many pulled out. 

Still good. With eyes shut. 

Side salads to the table. Slaw, potato, pickles. 

IMG_3980.jpeg

IMG_3978.jpeg

Screen Shot 2022-08-20 at 1.50.43 PM.png

IMG_3977.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 3

@gfweb 

I agree .  Russets ?

""  bacon or lobster ""

wow , those must have been 

" The Days "

Ive made these a lot 

when home 

and if one tis going in this direction 

Economics being Economics 

until the End of Time 

a few notches up

from supermarket bacon

and its improved a lot , sort of 

bacon from 

Beton's

https://shop.bentonscountryham.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=HSCB

Broadbent 

https://www.broadbenthams.com/All-Bacon-Products/products/86/

and others 

are well worth it for Potatoes ++++

and the bacon keeps 

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@gfweb 

I agree .  Russets ?

""  bacon or lobster ""

wow , those must have been 

" The Days "

Ive made these a lot 

when home 

and if one tis going in this direction 

Economics being Economics 

until the End of Time 

a few notches up

from supermarket bacon

and its improved a lot , sort of 

bacon from 

Beton's

https://shop.bentonscountryham.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=HSCB

Broadbent 

https://www.broadbenthams.com/All-Bacon-Products/products/86/

and others 

are well worth it for Potatoes ++++

and the bacon keeps 

Russets indeed!

Benton's and Broadbent are top notch. Usually I use Smithfield or Hatfield which I think are the best of the supermarket brands

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Lots of fried stuff lately. I've been experimenting with  flour vs starch and buttermilk.

Conclusions so far....starch stays crisp longer, starch /flour 1:1 is a good compromise  for browning and crispness, buttermilk may add browning more than anything else but the milk proteins can burn a little too.

20220821_201049.thumb.jpg.01d6450d04a2c87589f6e1032ff28988.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

7 hours ago, Duvel said:

First pizza & movie night after the holidays …

Family-style, 3/4 mushroom & sausage and 1/4 curried SV chicken breast & mango (leftovers, clearly). 

FFF2AFDB-A3D4-41ED-8A90-0F2B602088DA.thumb.jpeg.6c47b477ccdbb1b8bff6226566c50520.jpeg

Plus a Duvel IPA 🤗

4DCD273C-0895-457D-9A79-576E06B73738.thumb.jpeg.50db48475bf5e0516fb88e8fb7aa82e5.jpeg

Enjoyed while watching Riverdance

I want to move in.    I'm relatively agile, a neatnik around the house, already love your kidnik, and am 1/4 Baden Baden German.   

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

eGullet member #80.

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

Lots of fried stuff lately. I've been experimenting with  flour vs starch and buttermilk.

Conclusions so far....starch stays crisp longer, starch /flour 1:1 is a good compromise  for browning and crispness, buttermilk may add browning more than anything else but the milk proteins can burn a little too.

20220821_201049.thumb.jpg.01d6450d04a2c87589f6e1032ff28988.jpg

gosh do you need taste testers ;)

• Haha 4