• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2022

liuzhou

@BeeZee – oh, wow!  A clam pizza.  I’d LOVE to have a piece of that.  One of my life goals is to go to New Haven for pizza.  And a clam pizza is on the list.  I didn’t know that they were also a thing farther south!

Dinner’s main ingredient was some Schuller & Weber Weisswurst sausages that we got at Foods of All Nations last time we were in Charlottesville VA.  Served with red cabbage (jarred) and boiled potatoes (and pickly stuff):

1-IMG_0391.jpg.d1094f7c8d8b27b1507da381fae0aa89.jpg 

Mr. Kim stopped on the way home and got some really good bread at Lidl:

1-IMG_0390.thumb.jpg.c5b79cba4ef7e963fafd662a33b9ca20.jpg 

Everything was very good.  The red cabbage tasted fine but was mushy.  I serve red cabbage so infrequently that I rarely make it from scratch and don’t remember that the jarred stuff is mushy until I serve it. 

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1

Spicy noodles with white miso/ginger/seaweeds. 

I'm liking my new bowls. Always heated in the oven. They hold the heat well with a heavy base. The wide shape keeps fresh ingredient out of the hot broth. Very stable. Easy to pick up at the table and take a warm broth sip/glug. The upper edge cools off just enough--not too hot like the broth in the base 1/3rd. (that bottom base with the broth holds heat really well)

I broke one of our earlier trial two bowls and missed the shape but this is better. 

Noodle bowls might be twice a week now. DH home at 11pm last night. Low oven kept his bowl warm. Various add-ins stacked in the fridge. Broth he heated on the back burner 10 minutes. (he knows the drill)

Miso broth poured over and pooled into the avocado. Noodles are fresh/frozen--heated in a spicy kimchi broth. They soaked up all that broth so many separate flavors--crips, chewy, earthy, spicy. 

I made garlic chips and crispy shallots but not needed.

IMG_3909.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 3

40 minutes ago, Annie_H said:

Spicy noodles with white miso/ginger/seaweeds. 

I'm liking my new bowls. Always heated in the oven. They hold the heat well with a heavy base. The wide shape keeps fresh ingredient out of the hot broth. Very stable. Easy to pick up at the table and take a warm broth sip/glug. The upper edge cools off just enough--not too hot like the broth in the base 1/3rd. (that bottom base with the broth holds heat really well)

I broke one of our earlier trial two bowls and missed the shape but this is better. 

Noodle bowls might be twice a week now. DH home at 11pm last night. Low oven kept his bowl warm. Various add-ins stacked in the fridge. Broth he heated on the back burner 10 minutes. (he knows the drill)

Miso broth poured over and pooled into the avocado. Noodles are fresh/frozen--heated in a spicy kimchi broth. They soaked up all that broth so many separate flavors--crips, chewy, earthy, spicy. 

I made garlic chips and crispy shallots but not needed.

IMG_3909.jpeg

Can you tell us where you found these bowls?

2 hours ago, lindag said:

Can you tell us where you found these bowls?

That was easy. In my amazon cart last month. 

Tried and true being in a few oven heats and many dishwasher loads. DH has slippery fingers but no breakage so far. I broke the last 'trial' bowls--just one but this seems ok so far. I might get another two back-ups. --Not a meal we would serve to guests so I do not need a dozen. 

I purchased during the last 'amazon deal day' but that is becoming odd and not so great. 

Nice bowls even at this price. 

Screen Shot 2022-08-12 at 3.34.01 PM.png

It was finally cool enough, and dry enough, to fry some fish tonight on my Weber grills side burner.  IQF flounder fillets with twice fried red potatoes.  The potatoes had enough starch to blister up nicely.  Served with sliced tomatoes to add a little acidity.   

IMG_20220812_192719970.thumb.jpg.d804c4826fc05cda75acdb0054621065.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 4

Our main a/c unit has been out for a week, so I am not cooking. Lots of salads, lots of fruit/yogurt/granola, lots of cheese and charcuterie plates. I will occasionally boil some pasta or chicken in the morning to be incorporated into a salad that night. 

@Shelby, at least I don’t have poison ivy!

• Like 2
  • Sad 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

16 hours ago, Annie_H said:

That was easy. In my amazon cart last month. 

Tried and true being in a few oven heats and many dishwasher loads. DH has slippery fingers but no breakage so far. I broke the last 'trial' bowls--just one but this seems ok so far. I might get another two back-ups. --Not a meal we would serve to guests so I do not need a dozen. 

I purchased during the last 'amazon deal day' but that is becoming odd and not so great. 

Nice bowls even at this price. 

Screen Shot 2022-08-12 at 3.34.01 PM.png

I have these bowls from amazon too, though I chose the other color they offer (or used to offer, which is more of a beige color) and they are really great.  They are very sturdy and can go in the dishwasher too.

Last night, ziti with a raw tomato, garlic and spinach sauce with some chunks of fresh mozzarella cheese added for my husband, sister, and me.  My niece dislikes tomato sauces so she had a ginger ramen soup with spinach added in one of those big bowls posted about above.

ziti.thumb.jpg.e365d0beebaf1a69857808578bcef767.jpg

Edited by liamsaunt (log)
  • Like 11
  • Delicious 3

1 hour ago, liamsaunt said:

I have these bowls from amazon too, though I chose the other color they offer (or used to offer, which is more of a beige color) and they are really great.  They are very sturdy and can go in the dishwasher too.

I should point out that I think the same company has melamine. At one point I had a few different glazes in my cart but missed the material content. Some things, like dinnerware, I would normally purchase in person. But the price was right. If they sucked, no big investment. I've been looking for a while and would find one I liked and always out of stock. Had to flip a coin and sent a text to my husband---"DO NOT complete/send the Amazon order". I almost ordered the plastic ones. If I order again, I might choose one of the other dark ones. One of the dark brown seems to have a smooth glaze but the same size and shape. I don't mind mixing ramen/noodle bowls as long as they are similar dark in color. 

We are not entertaining much these days, but a friend recently divorced is always welcome. Usually stays for dinner. A shame to have this meal planned and not offer the same plating experience. 

• Like 2

Diner tonight was corn on the cob.  The ears from last night's Whole Foods delivery were rather small, and I thought I might not have selected them myself.  However they were quite good.

The accompanying music was Shubert's Trout Quintet.  My reading material was Harold McGee's Nose Dive, A Field Guide to the World's Smells.  I preordered the book when it first came out but am only now getting around to reading.

"Mildly fishy putrescine, a four-carbon chain, turns out not to be particularly putrid.  When exposed to the air, it's quickly oxidized to form a stronger-smelling ring compound, pyrroline, which is found in and smells of human semen.  Pyrroline is also an important volatile in the smell of human skin...as well as the aroma of boiled corn."

I may never eat again.

• Haha 7

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

19 hours ago, Annie_H said:

I should point out that I think the same company has melamine. At one point I had a few different glazes in my cart but missed the material content. Some things, like dinnerware, I would normally purchase in person. But the price was right. If they sucked, no big investment. I've been looking for a while and would find one I liked and always out of stock. Had to flip a coin and sent a text to my husband---"DO NOT complete/send the Amazon order". I almost ordered the plastic ones. If I order again, I might choose one of the other dark ones. One of the dark brown seems to have a smooth glaze but the same size and shape. I don't mind mixing ramen/noodle bowls as long as they are similar dark in color. 

We are not entertaining much these days, but a friend recently divorced is always welcome. Usually stays for dinner. A shame to have this meal planned and not offer the same plating experience. 

I don't think the plastic ones are dishwasher safe, are they?  I don't like eating out of plastic anyway.  I like the hefty weight and the rougher texture of the ceramic ones.

1 hour ago, liamsaunt said:

I don't think the plastic ones are dishwasher safe, are they?  I don't like eating out of plastic anyway.  I like the hefty weight and the rougher texture of the ceramic ones.

I don't care for plastic either. Would have been a big mistake. I do have a set of melamine lunch plates for children. BBQ's and buffet style events. Fun patterns. I think they are dishwasher safe but no microwave.

DH has been working long hours since Wednesday and all weekend. Making some of his favorites. Up at 4, home after 10pm. 

Peppered baked salmon, shrimp, and merguez. Plumped the sausage in a tBsp of water and olive oil, then into the over to roast with the seafood. Garlic chips and fried shallots using the purchased chili crisp oil that turned out more oil than 'crisp'. Caesar-ed greens. Kales, chard, escarole, romaine. 

Screen Shot 2022-08-14 at 8.16.43 AM.png

Edited by Annie_H (log)
  • Like 9

On 8/10/2022 at 3:10 PM, Shelby said:

@DejahI'm so sorry about your husband's health problems and your poor tooth problems!  I empathize with you.  Your meals, as always, look incred

Thanks, Shelby.
You are a wonder woman! All those incredible meals in spite of poison ivy. I think your motto is the same as miner" Food is the only answer!:
Hope you are on the mend.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

My new built in oven finally arrived after 2.5 months wait, then 2 weeks waiting for electrician to come, install, and hook up.  So I've run a few tests, but mainly baking.             
First thing was a roast chicken as my s-i-l dropped off 2 fresh ones. Just tucked in Kaffir lime leaves, a cut up lime in the cavity, salt and pepper.  I don't have a veg garden but I did plant some Romano Beans along the back of my flower bed. They were successful.

526139695_RoastChicken8320.jpg.93ec1d83f065e061cff0da3455729828.jpg1502435266_RoastChicken8322.jpg.6b5b4dd2d3c2c3f3bcbaf3628b0b6e3e.jpg

I had lots of wonton filling left after making 2 doz for our electrician who was a former customer in our restaurant. He and his Dad also did a lot of work in the restaurant and our house. Rick was moaning about missing the deep fried wontons, so I made him some as he showed up on the day and time he said he would! Bribery? You bet!
With the leftover pork, shrimp, and waterchestnut filling, I make Tofu Skin pork rolls. They were deep fried then steamed, with oyster based sauce added after steaming. They were easy to eat.

2011853041_BeanCurdPorkRolls8351.jpg.916146219e4ace6c122d1ac39fc9dd81.jpg80758260_BeanCurdPorkRolls8354.jpg.c9b70e4e3e81399b98bedbb46aa1ecf1.jpg

Left over pork rolls were added to chicken broth, egg noodles, lettuce, and shrimp for a soup supper next evening.

864779215_PorkRollNoodlessoup8374.jpg.e84f2062d3f7f9326377c062daabe0cc.jpg

Superstore had bone-in cooked ham on sale. I picked one up and baked it in the oven, with a marmalade, maple syrup, Dijon mustard, and rum glaze. It was way too big for the two of us, and we can only handle a couple of meals, so the big portion, along with the bone, went to our son's house. Also made scalloped potatoes.

521289550_MarmaladeMapleSyrupglazedHam8363.jpg.21002d201453ff961281274599b7aea4.jpg1251909807_BakedHamdinner8368.jpg.d88f510c072b6d160895013f5260dc27.jpg

Forgot I had another fresh chicken still in the fridge. Cut it up, used half to make Spicy Chicken and "clean out the fridge" mixed vegetables. Simmered with Toban sauce and eaten with Jasmin rice. Love these one wok meals!

387503560_ChickenVeg8375.jpg.00a1e25bed058633380f6b1e1a224aa9.jpg1936556283_SpicyChickenVeg8379.jpg.5d68e3d9870a1549f34b9dd137bd323c.jpg

Dessert, a couple of hours later: my "3rd ever in my life" buttermilk biscuit and black cheery jelly from my neighbor. The biscuit turned out well. My previous attempts, years ago, were golden hockey pucks!

Biscuits.thumb.jpg.b7ff0c42de9908e63282c270fdc8a791.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 5

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

@Dejah I have too many OMG/yes please comments to specify. Two quick questions. I always see cheery as preserves. The jelly was a true jelly with no bits? The tofu skin rolls - can yiu explaon what the fry then steam acheives. Seems it would eliminate any crisp but maybe just to firm up the skin? I have yet to ever play with the skins but they are readily available here. 

1 hour ago, heidih said:

@Dejah I have too many OMG/yes please comments to specify. Two quick questions. I always see cheery as preserves. The jelly was a true jelly with no bits? The tofu skin rolls - can yiu explaon what the fry then steam acheives. Seems it would eliminate any crisp but maybe just to firm up the skin? I have yet to ever play with the skins but they are readily available here. 

heidih: I have no idea why the tofu skin was deep fried prior to steaming. I think the rolls can be eaten just deep fried if you want them crispy. I've only seen my Mom make them this way, and I've enjoyed them like that at dim sum. The deep frying definitely gives it a nice flavour which wouldn't be there if steamed. You may be right in that the skin would firm up. It gives the nice blistered look as well.
The jelly was made by my good friend and neighbor, with sour cherries from her bushes. There were no bits, just jiggly clear red jelly.

• Like 3

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com