• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2022

liuzhou

@liamsaunt – gorgeous scallops!  And I love the sound of the risotto!  And I would LOVE your nephew’s goodbye meal. 

@Shelby – I’ve been craving Alfredo for weeks now and here you go showing off that creamy goodness😁!  And no apologies for the Whiz.  I like it just fine!  I’ll be making that.  Also, Whiz or Velveeta is great as part of the cheeses in mac and cheese or broccoli and cheese soup if you are going to freeze them.  Those processed cheeses help to stabilize the sauce. 

@Dejah – much love to you and your husband!  Your food looks wonderful!  He is well taken care of. 

@mgaretz – I love how big your mushroom pieces are – I could fork those to the side and chow down on the rest of that delicious looking meal 😁

Friday was delivery sausage and pepperoni pizza:

1-IMG_0351.jpg.f37a27c9c0582e73207cffb6ab852236.jpg

and I put together a salad:

1-IMG_0352.jpg.94efac7eb5eb491d8b4b5d7588284ebe.jpg

Well, we’ve been eating toast and fast food for the past few days.  On Saturday morning, we thought our refrigerator was dead.  The freezer was fine, but to be safe we emptied it out and put everything in the two shed freezers.  We sorted through all of the refrigerator stuff and tossed all the warm meat/deli/dairy products (fridge temp was 67F at this point) and took everything else over to Mr. Kim’s mother to put in her extra fridge.  On checking the temperature throughout the rest of the weekend and yesterday, the temperature was dropping steadily and now is 42F.  The appliance guy we finally got in touch with yesterday says he thinks the most likely thing is that the door to the fridge was open all night and it’s just taken this long to recover.  Sigh.  So tonight we are going over to my MIL’s to get our food back, go to Kroger for the stuff we tossed and fill up the fridge again.  Fingers crossed please.

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Fingers crossed please

Make doubly sure that you don't put anything in front of the vents where the air comes in. That happened to me and it was all the fault of a big Leaf of lettuce that got pushed back there. Most expensive piece of lettuce I've ever had in my life. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

No pictures, because I've posted fish taco pictures before but it was a really lovely dinner, just my 24-year-old nephew and I and we sat on the deck for well over an hour discussing anything that came to mind. He is such an intelligent, empathetic young man. Sometimes, it's not the food that makes the dinner, but the company.

• Like 13

21 hours ago, jedovaty said:

I'm growing eggplant in my bucket garden first time and am about to have a ton to harvest.. any tips on making eggplant curry, or is it as simple as a saute with spices and aromatics, then stew a bit in some variation of milk product?

I riffed on this recipe:  https://www.recipetineats.com/eggplant-curry-south-indian/

I used half the cloves, coriander and cumin called for, upped the Indian chili powder a little bit to get it to the heat level we like, and used all coconut milk instead of coconut milk and water because I hate opening a can of coconut milk and only using 3 tbsp!  I also swapped in a fresh tomato chopped up and some tomato paste from the freezer for the canned tomatoes called for.

Last night, we had a salad in a blueberry vinaigrette with salmon, nectarines, blackberries, red onion, and toasted almonds.

215577533_salmonnectarinesalad.thumb.jpg.2cd9c33262d5051943be64abe3aa28e5.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

2 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

I riffed on this recipe:  https://www.recipetineats.com/eggplant-curry-south-indian/

I used half the cloves, coriander and cumin called for, upped the Indian chili powder a little bit to get it to the heat level we like, and used all coconut milk instead of coconut milk and water because I hate opening a can of coconut milk and only using 3 tbsp!  I also swapped in a fresh tomato chopped up and some tomato paste from the freezer for the canned tomatoes called for.

Last night, we had a salad in a blueberry vinaigrette with salmon, nectarines, blackberries, red onion, and toasted almonds.

215577533_salmonnectarinesalad.thumb.jpg.2cd9c33262d5051943be64abe3aa28e5.jpg

I don't know if you're interested, but I freeze coconut milk all the time.  I use the Aroy-D UHT coconut milk that comes in what looks like juice boxes.  Each holds 250ml - about a cup.  If I don't need that much, I put the extra in a small ziplock, get all the air out, then freeze.  I can break off a small piece whenever I need and it's as good as before.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

I don't know if you're interested, but I freeze coconut milk all the time.  I use the Aroy-D UHT coconut milk that comes in what looks like juice boxes.  Each holds 250ml - about a cup.  If I don't need that much, I put the extra in a small ziplock, get all the air out, then freeze.  I can break off a small piece whenever I need and it's as good as before.

Me too. In similar fashion.

• Like 4

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Paul Bacino Bacino's Cucina

· 

Pork and Beans

Royal Corona ( soaked 24 hrs in rosemary, garlic, onion with veggie bullion ) Pressure cooked 15 mins, cooled added pork and stock pressure cooked 15 mins, cool ) Prep Beans, Pork, Kashmiri chili Pepper ( really nice heat ), finished with cilantro flower

52276754171_43f1d99f70_z.jpg

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

Its good to have Morels

@DejahI'm so sorry about your husband's health problems and your poor tooth problems!  I empathize with you.  Your meals, as always, look incredible.  

@Norm MatthewsYour crab leg meal is calling out!  Lucky you to find them on sale.  We haven't found a good price on them since before the pandemic.  

@Kim ShookUUUGHHHHH on the fridge situation.  All that moving of food to find out it just hadn't been closed.  BUT, at least you maybe don't have to buy a new one.  My dryer shot craps Monday night and I was terrified that my appliance guy wouldn't have one in stock.  I was lucky...I'm supposed to get one on Friday (fingers crossed) but I've heard horror stories about no appliances to be found for months.  Also, you're not alone,  my fridge gets packed especially when our guest is here or I have a bunch of garden produce.  It does ding though over and over to alert me when the door isn't sealed.....

@Ann_TI never would have thought about making Italian patties.  Great idea.

I've had the worst poison ivy I've ever had (and I have it all the time so that's saying something).  I looked like Sloth from the Goonies and I am not kidding.  Got a steroid shot last Friday (we all know how scared I am of the doctor so...sigh...) and am on oral steroids too.  Looking back, my 47th year of being alive has been.....challenging....lol.  Hoping being 48 in a couple months changes my luck.  Upside is the steroids really improved my leg situation and the vasculitis.....we'll see if it stays that way after my doses are done.  Blah.  Sorry about so much medical stuff.  I'm venting lol.

Garden is on the struggle bus, too.  Getting some things like watermelons and cantaloupes...cucumber still ok.  Zucchini up and died.  Yellow squash trying to hang on.  Haven't had to sneak any in anyone's car this year.....The poor tomatoes.  I don't know if they will give me a burst in Sept. or not.  Haven't canned a thing but did have enough to make another batch for dinner and the freezer.

thumbnail_IMG_2867.jpg.8b533e4fd8babcfe887ef410aa9b264b.jpg

Chicken gyros

thumbnail_IMG_2862.jpg.5608069e96b23e4fdcd2e1b292ca7ec8.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2864.jpg.d488cfd3aa335bc68db7e4522db9ac1f.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2865.jpg.69afc49aa76c22b9a00a110c2e12421b.jpg

Venison taco salad last night

thumbnail_IMG_2872.jpg.cd8f512e30430f23f5cbc842fdf2e16c.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 2
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

Jeez @Shelby that sucks.  Hope you feel better (and get off the steroids!) soon...

1 hour ago, FauxPas said:

What @KennethTsaid. Really hope things clear up soon! Hugs. 

53 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

What they said goes for me. I hope you get better soon!

15 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Yes, positive thoughts from me, too, @Shelby and kudos on getting those actual meals together - I’d be having Cheetos and wine and whine for dinner every night!

Thanks so so much everyone.   You've made my day--and yeah....I've been whining a bit lol.....

It'll get better.  It always does.  Especially with you guys as my friends :) 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Shelby said:

@DejahI'm so sorry about your husband's health problems and your poor tooth problems!  I empathize with you.  Your meals, as always, look incredible.  

@Norm MatthewsYour crab leg meal is calling out!  Lucky you to find them on sale.  We haven't found a good price on them since before the pandemic.  

@Kim ShookUUUGHHHHH on the fridge situation.  All that moving of food to find out it just hadn't been closed.  BUT, at least you maybe don't have to buy a new one.  My dryer shot craps Monday night and I was terrified that my appliance guy wouldn't have one in stock.  I was lucky...I'm supposed to get one on Friday (fingers crossed) but I've heard horror stories about no appliances to be found for months.  Also, you're not alone,  my fridge gets packed especially when our guest is here or I have a bunch of garden produce.  It does ding though over and over to alert me when the door isn't sealed.....

@Ann_TI never would have thought about making Italian patties.  Great idea.

I've had the worst poison ivy I've ever had (and I have it all the time so that's saying something).  I looked like Sloth from the Goonies and I am not kidding.  Got a steroid shot last Friday (we all know how scared I am of the doctor so...sigh...) and am on oral steroids too.  Looking back, my 47th year of being alive has been.....challenging....lol.  Hoping being 48 in a couple months changes my luck.  Upside is the steroids really improved my leg situation and the vasculitis.....we'll see if it stays that way after my doses are done.  Blah.  Sorry about so much medical stuff.  I'm venting lol.

Garden is on the struggle bus, too.  Getting some things like watermelons and cantaloupes...cucumber still ok.  Zucchini up and died.  Yellow squash trying to hang on.  Haven't had to sneak any in anyone's car this year.....The poor tomatoes.  I don't know if they will give me a burst in Sept. or not.  Haven't canned a thing but did have enough to make another batch for dinner and the freezer.

thumbnail_IMG_2867.jpg.8b533e4fd8babcfe887ef410aa9b264b.jpg

Chicken gyros

thumbnail_IMG_2862.jpg.5608069e96b23e4fdcd2e1b292ca7ec8.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2864.jpg.d488cfd3aa335bc68db7e4522db9ac1f.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2865.jpg.69afc49aa76c22b9a00a110c2e12421b.jpg

Venison taco salad last night

thumbnail_IMG_2872.jpg.cd8f512e30430f23f5cbc842fdf2e16c.jpg

I'm sorry to hear about your struggles. Thankfully I have never encountered poisin ivy. We have stinging nettles, but they are a minor inconvenience and white vinegar does the trick with the stinging. You are a wonder woman - if I felt like you did, it would be takeout or freezer meals! I would take to my fainting couch (if I had one.)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

I'm sorry to hear about your struggles. Thankfully I have never encountered poisin ivy. We have stinging nettles, but they are a minor inconvenience and white vinegar does the trick with the stinging. You are a wonder woman - if I felt like you did, it would be takeout or freezer meals! I would take to my fainting couch (if I had one.)

OMG I had stinging nettles...don't tell my Mom....outside my window when we lived in Colorado...I'd open it up and sit..boy did I learn a lesson.  Nettles on the bottom of my feet. NOT GOOD lol.

No take out around here...or I would lol.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Whine all you want @Shelby.  I'd be whining too if I was dealing with poison Ivy.  Hope the meds help and you are feeling better.

558522720_BeefBurgundyAugust10th20222.thumb.jpg.1b6807526e3fb58967c3d3fa2cda9b80.jpg

Tonight for dinner I made Beef Burgundy.

A recipe I have been making for years. Adapted from a Julia Child recipe.
It is a wonderful celebration dinner. I've made it more than once to celebrate our Anniversary.
1282647759_BeefBurgundyAugust10th20221.thumb.jpg.f1a4450f6e924ddc5596ba79bec07bcc.jpg
But it is also a great dinner party recipe because most of it can be made a few hours ahead of time,
and the beef tenderloin steaks just seared at the last minute or even seared early and then warmed up in the sauce.
1578998457_BeefBurgundyAugust10th20223.thumb.jpg.bc4f8c6c5ef102e22ef9c0f3b0443796.jpg
Since we were out most of the day, I didn't do anything ahead of time, but the dinner still came together easily.
Stopped at a farm store and picked up locally grown vegetables.
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 7

21 hours ago, KennethT said:

I actually do that too, but then I end up finding little bags of frozen coconut milk in the far reaches of my freezer.  Never when I actually need them, of course!  I actually bought some of the Aroy-D brand of coconut milk based on a recommendation from you earlier--it is good, so thanks!

@Shelby, ugh, poison ivy!  I hate that stuff!  I hope you feel better soon, and that the steroids work quickly.  One time, my husband and I got terrible cases of it that required steroids (from clearing off a dormant vegetable plot next to woodlands).  Mine cleared up after one course of steroids, but my husband had flare ups that came back occasionally over the next three years!  Now he refuses to garden at all  🤣

Last night, more dinner salads. This one had a creamy avocado and buttermilk dressing.  I put leftover steak on top for my husband and niece

125036954_steaksalad.thumb.jpg.c24079806c398ebe98500d41f4c48246.jpg

And breaded sautéed chicken for my sister and me.  

1953507332_chickensalad.thumb.jpg.0ce23ddcd4365e21e6c0ceaf47a8f294.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 4

54 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

I actually do that too, but then I end up finding little bags of frozen coconut milk in the far reaches of my freezer.  Never when I actually need them, of course!  I actually bought some of the Aroy-D brand of coconut milk based on a recommendation from you earlier--it is good, so thanks!

I used to have the same problem - I decided to keep all of the "small portion" stuff - like coconut milk, I also have small amounts of fire roasted crushed tomatoes, small amounts of pasilla salsa I made, etc. all in the freezer door section.   This way, it's always easy to see if I have any lying around or not.