• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2022

liuzhou

Just spent the last +hour drooling over all the great meals posted.

Been taking care of hubby's on-going health issues - non-lief-threatening but time consuming. Still cooked and tried to entice his appetite.
Now I am dealing with a tooth infection. On antibiotics for the next 10 days. Today is the 5th day, and I am able to chew a bit better.

So meals have been enticing for hubby and soft for moi!

Beef & Bitter Melon - a dish that you either love, hate, or crave 😉 Happy that my Scottish / English / Canadian hubby enjoys this as much as I do!

1157696038_BeefBitterMelon8268.jpg.782bb749493910045a3bb80d945ee887.jpg

Steamed ground beef & Preserved Sechuan Veg                     

1066334854_BeefSechuanveg8271.jpg.61048d03208c2b76bf39790e283d10ae.jpg

Eaten with Yu Choy and Jasmine rice
                                       1785887633_Yuchoi8274.jpg.26206e7e610c426c62f7c2a27e82f62d.jpg1005691803_DurianPancake8280.jpg.d0d2428acc79db6b2a3ace4aaa0d98f3.jpg

Durian pancakes for dessert!

The start of the infected tooth meals!
 Wonton Soup with the works. No char siu in the freezer, so Chinese sausage filled the bill

1044888023_WontonSoup8264.jpg.d8ae759efce92a22354248e4efd02e75.jpg

Hamburger Steak with lots of onion and mushroom gravy. Cavendish tater wedges

1692021702_HamburgerSteak8238.jpg.b1285daa17601d249326db1b0c359f47.jpg

Congee with Pickerel. Century egg, fu yu, pork floss, and youtiao

2136417521_PickerelCongee8299.jpg.0eb6ba192a7293c8a9cb5047e37f0684.jpg

Tong Yuen (glutinour rice dumplings for me) and Udon noodles for hubby. He has a hard time chewing and swallowing these. LOL! I love them, dipped in soy, sesame oil, and pepper, just like my Mom did!

1820072351_DumplingsUdon8278.jpg.198f140cbc3450a1e9fd5082d49f2942.jpg

Thai Coconut Curry Chicken with lots of well cooked root vegetable. Dessert was ice cream with fresh Saskatoon / Service berries!

2035380990_ThaiCoconutChickenCurry8310.jpg.beb53044cabaabec446469d007ffb455.jpg

I've been without a stove since JUNE. The old reliable was circa 1982 GE. The replacement built in Fridgidaire is finally here, and getting installed today. We'll see if I can master this new technology I just wanted a simple turn on the heat one, but noooooooooooo...LOL! They don;t make those anymore, just like the electri coil elements for my downdraught cooktop. These ceramic / glass cooktops are SO hard to keep clean and shiny. Move with the times, Dejah, they said! HA!

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

3 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Amazing food and more amazing still to think that you have cooked all of this without a stove. So glad to see you back.

Oh, sorry to mislead. I still have my cook top. I am just missing my built in oven. Thank goodness I bought the Ninja Air-Fry oven.

• Like 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

11 minutes ago, Dejah said:

Oh, sorry to mislead. I still have my cook top. I am just missing my built in oven. Thank goodness I bought the Ninja Air-Fry oven.

Hope your family health issues soon improve. It’s great that you’re still enjoying your air fryer, too. Not sure why you are worried about keeping a ceramic top clean and shiny. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

18 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Hope your family health issues soon improve. It’s great that you’re still enjoying your air fryer, too. Not sure why you are worried about keeping a ceramic top clean and shiny. 

I am trying to keep it clean. Have seen some stoves that are such a mess. Unfortunately, I already have some marks and rings on the top. Not sure what caused them but they seem to be underneath.

I know it's going to show wear and tear from all my cooking. LOL!

• Like 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

22 minutes ago, Anna N said:

....Not sure why you are worried about keeping a ceramic top clean and shiny. 

1 minute ago, Dejah said:

I am trying to keep it clean. Have seen some stoves that are such a mess. Unfortunately, I already have some marks and rings on the top. Not sure what caused them but they seem to be underneath.

I know it's going to show wear and tear from all my cooking. LOL!

Night before last, we put the three enameled panels of our range top in a garbage bag with half a bottle of ammonia and let stand over night.    Yesterday, we hosed them down and scrubbed remaining cooked on gunk.    First time in 30 years.    They looks like new now, and I told husband we were having nothing but microwave packaged dinners from now on.   

Seriously, even with nightly wipe down, if you cook, your stove is going to show signs of it.    Just enjoy yours and worry about deep cleaning it in thirty years.   Have fun.

(Regarding your request for simple, it no longer exists.    My mantra for years has been "On, off and no static.', something I told a car radio salesman several decades ago.  He had no idea what I was talking about).

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

eGullet member #80.

On 8/2/2022 at 7:12 PM, KennethT said:

What do you do for pho broth? Homemade?  Northern or Southern style?

Not really sure if north or south.   But saved up ribs from Holiday Standing rib roast, soup bones, beef neck and shanks.   Charred some onion and ginger.  Star anise, clove, palm sugar, and let it go for hours.     Kind of went with what I have had in restaurants and researched across the internet.

• Like 2

Brussel sprouts and sweet potato salad - both are seared a bit to get a nice char and than briefly braised with some dried basil in a some fresh orange juice. After cooling it a little bit you add some red onions, baby arugula, some orange supremes, feta and pumpkin seeds. Finished with a vinaigrette made from orange juice, oil, mustard and honey.

980E9883-FDC3-42D7-AA5A-022CE795F65D.thumb.jpeg.dbfc25a4845528cb48f6894d403b5104.jpeg

• Like 10

image.thumb.jpeg.2068b20c0444735b6f1961ae957be6cf.jpeg

Japanese chicken curry - subbed in celeriac for the classic potatoes, and it was very good.

And since it was very hot, I also subbed in steamed chicken from the scallion chicken I had purchased at Wu's when I picked up some lunch there.  It didn't suffer from being heated up in the curry; actually, the white meat on the bone was perfect for Significant Eater, who has a bit of a problem when she sees reddish chicken near the bone.

• Like 13
  • Delicious 4

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

1 hour ago, liamsaunt said:

Eggplant curry.  It does not look great but has a lot of flavor.

I'm growing eggplant in my bucket garden first time and am about to have a ton to harvest.. any tips on making eggplant curry, or is it as simple as a saute with spices and aromatics, then stew a bit in some variation of milk product?

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

what are your grains ?  beans ?

I posted a page back but I'll re-cap. 

Sunday I filled my smoker with Hatch chilies and a tray of tomatillos/garlic/onions. 

Heating up I added two salmon fillets and some merguez on the lower rack. (half frozen). Gave them an hour of heat/smoke once up to temp. Finished in the oven to roast a bit. Half went in the fridge for last night, warm. But excellent cold in salads, croquettes, chowder, bisque. It is tender but flakes. Everyone seems to have a favorite method for hot smoked. I don't use sugars or long smokes. This brand I see does not use sugars. hot smoked salmon

While smoking the peppers, I made a mixed grain and RG beans and some salads--corn, potato, quick pickles, and caprese. 

Mixed grains are always a bit different as I stock so many. This one is wheat berries, wild rice, quinoa, and lentils. Most from Palouse

Beans are RG Marcella, and Vaquero. ( trying to retain the dried blk/white color by rinsing). Garbanzos I spiced and roasted and have not used yet except in our lunch salads. 

I'm low on Palouse grains/beans but will wait for the next RG delivery. 

Screen Shot 2022-08-09 at 9.33.59 AM.png

• Like 9

1 hour ago, jedovaty said:

I'm growing eggplant in my bucket garden first time and am about to have a ton to harvest..

My favorite eggplant dish, Nasu Dengaku

Our favorite EastVillage sushi joint closed 15+ years ago due to retirement. Mr Suzuki's daughter took over for a while--even featured in the NYTimes but lacked the passion. Finally cracked the recipe code a few years ago due to internet searching by accident. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Annie_H said:

My favorite eggplant dish, Nasu Dengaku

Our favorite EastVillage sushi joint closed 15+ years ago due to retirement. Mr Suzuki's daughter took over for a while--even featured in the NYTimes but lacked the passion. Finally cracked the recipe code a few years ago due to internet searching by accident. 

I'm curious as to what your favorite sushi place was...

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

I'm curious as to what your favorite sushi place was...

We had three in rotation at that time. Mid-late 90's? It has been so long ago. The one with the KeithHering art lining the walls we were wed/ engaged. Maybe 'ISO' ?. DH might remember. Sushi at that time was a two/three times a month but we let friends often select the location. Only Sundays. Early meals being a work night. Love a sushi bar seat early evening. Lots of 'try this' freebies being regulars. Have not found similar since. Having a 20+ year relationship is special. Mr Suzuki would ride his bike down to WallStreetFulton fish market every morning early. Thinking now it was 'Iso'. 

"THIS RESTAURANT IS CLOSED Iso Restaurant Review:

Since 1984, Iso has been king of the East Village’s medium-priced sushi houses. (For the neighborhood’s best sushi, and higher prices, go to Jewel Bako.) Behind the sushi bar is the framed logo Keith Haring did for the restaurant---the design is emblazoned on the waiters’ T-shirts. And Iso himself still makes sushi, along with a young team of three men. The number of chef’s special platters they turn out is enough to make your fingers ache. Forget the regular menu and order from the daily specials list, a mix of innovative and traditional appetizers, sushi, sashimi and main courses."

• Thanks 1