• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2022

liuzhou

4 hours ago, Steve Irby said:

I only use it for cutting hard material such as bone,

There is little chance of cutting yourself as you can press the blade (20 TPI bimetal) against your skin without injury.  

3 hours ago, KennethT said:

As @Steve Irbysays, as tools go, it's one of the safer ones out there.  Definitely much safer than a reciprocating Sawzall!

Have you two ever seen some of the things that @JoNorvelleWalker injures herself on?

• Haha 6

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

Have you two ever seen some of the things that @JoNorvelleWalker injures herself on?

I'd worry about getting cut on the plastic wrap.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Sad 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

At the top of my list of the dangers that face @JoNorvelleWalker I would put:

1) Apricot kernels in daily doses of orgeat (cyanide)

2) Racoons getting into the bedroom, fighting over food and then making a nest out of dry goods

3) Tripping over a duplicate appliance in the dark (also bedroom)

4) Concussion as a result of a bag of limes falling from an upper cabinet

5) Plastic wrap (a distant 5)

6) Very unlikely but not good, a cryogenic accident caused by getting trapped in one of two blast freezers

Love you Jo be careful! 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 12

Appetizer of Lady Wong curry puff, then Thai style steamed red snapper with lime sauce, with some stir fried Chinese broccoli. Fish steamed in the CSO. Pulut inti from Lady Wong for dessert.

PXL_20220806_230901099.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.c2ec69152e3e99875f5d487005837702.jpg

PXL_20220807_003322005.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.6794bd5b71b895aab26c1aa239e1ef0e.jpg

PXL_20220807_003703189.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.973bbb7b51deeb4722a38a49033174b4.jpg

PXL_20220807_010152950.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.0b38607e3e5e989078b36f0a35d3ae5b.jpg

PXL_20220807_010525389.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.15be14adbfb3879f932fc6f2febb07f3.jpg

Edited by KennethT (log)
  • Like 16
  • Delicious 3

@dcarch 

I have a 10 " Powermatic

what a clean up is waiting you 

Today , tomorrow , and in the future 

Im wondering,  if the Meat dept wasn't too busy 

they might band saw it up for you at the store ?

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, KennethT said:

Pulut inti from Lady Wong for dessert.

Gorgeous meal. What was the Pulut inti flavorings?--not listed on their website. I like that they use natural colorings. Either spirulina or cabbage/baking soda for the blue. red cabbage makes blue. (I hosted an LGBTQ bbq spring 2019. Made a blue pasta salad and coleslaw)

BLTAvocado last night. Potato salad, Hatch chili corn and bean salad off camera served at the table

IMG_3859.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 4

Been a bit of a rough go this last week.  I've fallen very behind on putting up garden items.  Hopefully I get my mojo back today and can make a dent in some things.  Dinners still happened though!

Salsa from all garden stuff

thumbnail_IMG_2818.jpg.e49a9f236d939ef2419708d5e7b6d270.jpg

Steak fajitas kind of with RG beans.  I need to look up the last box they sent.  These were the BEST beans.  

thumbnail_IMG_2819.jpg.c0476b311f2f967f8e60e0ad1cd24f24.jpg

Smoked ribs and sausages.  Beans from the garden.

thumbnail_IMG_2821.jpg.f6d38b89d8c372a1a0bdd66e698713c0.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2822.jpg.2a20f21064c42b848659375dd7fade97.jpg

Shrimp Alfredo with @gfweb's squash (roasted with cheddar and parm cheese)

thumbnail_IMG_2829.jpg.643384fd1e5ff388bb851782346ccfe0.jpg

IP potato salad and hot wings

thumbnail_IMG_2854.jpg.93159554428342482399f884b3e3be6e.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2855.jpg.ec6519be5777a38ce1af94c53a211930.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2856.jpg.caa500083742240d84c355cb42baae0b.jpg

@Kim ShookEG is going to revoke my membership for posting about this :P  The cheesy cauliflower --I boiled a cut up head of cauliflower in salted water until tender (I think like 10 mins or so?) Drained.  Added most of a jar of Cheeze Whiz.  Stirred.  Black pepper.  Done.

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 11
  • Delicious 4
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Annie_H said:

Gorgeous meal. What was the Pulut inti flavorings?--not listed on their website. I like that they use natural colorings. Either spirulina or cabbage/baking soda for the blue. red cabbage makes blue. (I hosted an LGBTQ bbq spring 2019. Made a blue pasta salad and coleslaw)

Traditionally, the blue color comes from a flower called butterfly pea flowers.  Pulut inti is one of my favorite kueh but this is the first time I've seen them there, despite them saying that they have it often on the weekends (which is when I go).  The glutinous rice is very subtly flavored - it's basically just the rice and the pandan leaf that it is steamed in.  The brown topping is coconut shavings cooked in palm sugar.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, KennethT said:

The brown topping is coconut shavings cooked in palm sugar.

Oh, I would like that. I know about the pea flower having researched years past for colorings. 

I've only had the many layer cake at work for a birthday. Shocking how many did not care for it. --Carvel ice cream cakes are usually preferred, 😂🙄

I like odd seasonings with salty, savory, and a bit of sweet. 

*edited to note. I do like Carvel and WhiteCastle in moderation. 

Edited by Annie_H (log)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Shelby said:

Steak fajitas kind of with RG beans.  I need to look up the last box they sent.  These were the BEST beans.  

thumbnail_IMG_2819.jpg.c0476b311f2f967f8e60e0ad1cd24f24.jpg

What variety of RG beans?  Another dreaded bean club shipment is on its way.

10 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Mayocoba

Just looked back in my phone at the photo I took.  Very creamy.  

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

At the top of my list of the dangers that face @JoNorvelleWalker I would put:

1) Apricot kernels in daily doses of orgeat (cyanide)

2) Racoons getting into the bedroom, fighting over food and then making a nest out of dry goods

3) Tripping over a duplicate appliance in the dark (also bedroom)

4) Concussion as a result of a bag of limes falling from an upper cabinet

5) Plastic wrap (a distant 5)

6) Very unlikely but not good, a cryogenic accident caused by getting trapped in one of two blast freezers

Love you Jo be careful! 

1) That which does not kill us makes us strong.

2) Possible, but I'd believe buzzards first.

3) No duplicate appliances in bedroom.  Duplicate appliances are in living room.

4) False.  Bags of limes live on bedroom floor.

5) Recall I cut myself on a plastic bag not that long ago.

6) Only one blast freezer here, sadly.  Oh how I miss the lab days with a walk-in.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

58 minutes ago, Annie_H said:

Oh, I would like that. I know about the pea flower having researched years past for colorings. 

I've only had the many layer cake at work for a birthday. Shocking how many did not care for it. --Carvel ice cream cakes are usually preferred, 😂🙄

I like odd seasonings with salty, savory, and a bit of sweet. 

*edited to note. I do like Carvel and WhiteCastle in moderation. 

I grew up on Carvel - we had their ice cream cakes for practically every occasion.

My wife first got me into only mildly sweet desserts and now I can't go back. It's one of the things I love about SE Asian kueh and Lady Wong does them really well. They're some of the best kueh we've had, including in SE Asia. If you do go there, I would definitely check out the serimuka which they have regularly.  We just had the one with some tea - durian serimuka made with Musan king durian.

PXL_20220807_180046710.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.db4542d3673681d39d0c3b5536574d20.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

1 minute ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I soaked three 1/2 pounds last night and simmering away today. And a mixed grain--wild rice, wheat berries, quinoa and lentils. A few choices for 2-3 days. Smoking hatch chilis, tomatillos, and a couple salmon fillets, a few merguez links. 

I am also surprised when I get the notice for more RG beans but always welcome the variety once in the pantry. (I think)

Is it quarterly?. Maybe 3 times a year with the free shipping code might be best? 

Always a great quick gifting item so no complaints here. 

IMG_3865.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

Chili with ground beef, chunks of beef chuck, ted kidney beans, green pepper, tomatoes, onions, garlic, different chilies (ancho, new Mexico, jalapeño), thyme, cayenne, paprika, bay leaf, basil, allspice, soy sauce, red wine and beef broth cooked for 3.5 hours at 300F. Served over rice and finished with sour cream

5BC38B6A-49C9-496A-8994-2070307A8A7C.thumb.jpeg.5e78a6e38e484fa09759a4e6fb1921fb.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 1

Last night's dinner was nephew's request: he headed back to Montana this morning for another year of service on the Crow Reservation.  He wanted homemade American style Chinese food since he cannot order it in restaurants due to his allergy.  My sister, niece and I all cooked together and made sesame-soy chicken wings, chicken fingers, ginger garlic fried rice, vegetable egg rolls, crabless crab rangoons, and some broccoli with oyster sauce.  I don't think I will be frying again for a while 🤣

256958939_chiensefood.thumb.jpg.59b5f70c37d82472291dc0d79f67ff4a.jpg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2