• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2022

liuzhou

39 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

Farmed? I used to live in the Northwest Territories back in the 80's when I was very young and knew people who went out and fished for char, believe they can be tricky fish in the wild, it was considered a bit of a challenge. I had fresh, frozen and smoked from wild stock that people shared. Farmed char seems to be the norm these days. Iceland claims to have sustainable farmed char but I keep looking at what we are doing to wild salmon stock due to fish farming and I can't help but wonder (despair?)

The char I enjoyed last night was listed by Whole Foods as farmed or line caught.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Many easy quick meals this past week. Freezer master stocks and miso.. A new obsession since last NewYears is a fermented seaweed. 

FreshDirect has it so will be ordering more. 

Roasted garbanzos. Dumplings.

Screen Shot 2022-07-30 at 10.52.34 PM.png

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

2 hours ago, FauxPas said:

Some of the pork shoulder char siu (Noh powder)

What is Noh powder? Cane sugar, corn starch and red dye n#3? This has been coming up recently in my searches since the 'wing-cook-a-long' a few months ago. I searched for a spice blend not sweet. Most Chinese/American restaurants are sick sweet and rancid stir fried rice so oily. (not all---just the shit ones with delivery menus tucked daily in NYC doors). 

Something called 'red cooking' ,and a fermented red rice used for color. NYTimes, SeriousEats, CooksIlustrated, etc, on and on, all mention red food dye. Like sweet soy sauce---just full of sugar. Dark soy often caramel coloring. I can add my own sugars and salts. I don't need a fridge full of condiments. A good soy sauce and a good unseasoned organic rice wine vinegar. Keep it simple and add what is needed when needed. Beet root powder, hibiscus, amchur, fresh ginger, mesquite and coconut palm sugar for a mild sweetness---mushroom powder for umami....

12 minutes ago, Annie_H said:

Something called 'red cooking' ,and a fermented red rice used for color.

'Red cooking' in China is 红烧 (hóng shāo) and does not involve red rice. It simply means braised in in soy sauce - a Shanghai specialty. It certainly doesn't involve red food coloring. I wouldn't even know where to buy that.

Red rice yeast is used in good quality char siu.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

18 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Red rice yeast is used in good quality char siu.

I went down that rabbit hole during the wing-a-long. I don't even like chicken wings but it was fun and actually rather good. No plans to repeat the menu at all. 

Just saying, food coloring has been used for years in baking--cakes etc. Adopted in savory years ago. 

Not in my pantry. 

12 hours ago, FauxPas said:

Farmed? I used to live in the Northwest Territories back in the 80's when I was very young and knew people who went out and fished for char, believe they can be tricky fish in the wild, it was considered a bit of a challenge. I had fresh, frozen and smoked from wild stock that people shared. Farmed char seems to be the norm these days. Iceland claims to have sustainable farmed char but I keep looking at what we are doing to wild salmon stock due to fish farming and I can't help but wonder (despair?)

Wild.  We have a great fishmonger nearby that gets a good mix of farmed and wild.  The squid last night from said fishmonger was also excellent (did a new for me pairing - asian style sauce; ginger, sweet soy, black vinegar, lime, dark soy, maple syrup, fresh chives, cilantro and baby cilantro seeds all crushed and mixed together.  Worked quite well.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Annie_H said:

What is Noh powder? Cane sugar, corn starch and red dye n#3?

It's a bit more than that.

It's just a 1 stop shop envelope of seasoning (like Hidden Valley ranch dressing or Lipton onion soup).   I like it because it doesn't add liquid to the sous vide bag, as a rub.  

Here's the list of ingredients.

Cane Sugar, Salt, Powdered Soy Sauce (Wheat Soybeans Salt, Maltodextrin), 5-Spice Powder (Ginger, Aniseed, Fennel Cinnamon, And Cloves), Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Spices, Red #3.

Edited by lemniscate (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Fish tacos and our first local corn of the year. I think it was Kim that mentioned the Ultimate Fish Sticks from Costco. We were having some littles to visit for a few days and their mom said fish sticks were their favourite meal so... They are actually pieces of fish, not fish paste. Had some left so fish tacos it was. There is a lime crema and cilantro underthe fish, which is under the cabbage (I only had red cabbage) and pickled onions

fish tacos.jpg

Edited by MaryIsobel (log)
  • Like 13
  • Delicious 2

@rotuts – I like your taquitos ideas.  Your inventiveness reminds me of Jessica who turns all leftovers into giant breakfast burritos lately.

@Shelby – I think you are probably right about the corn silk.  Even getting it from the produce stand, it isn’t nearly as fresh as yours.  Love the beans with potatoes!  And bless that girl for having the heart to carry on in spite of her loss – best way I know to remember and honor someone❤️.  Your big sandwiches always look so good – especially paired with your great looking fries!

@Anna N – I think you are right about making sure that I am cutting far up enough on the cob to expose a few rows of kernels. 

@Norm Matthews– that is quite a spread!  Like @Shelby, I’d love to sneak a few of those deviled eggs.  And the fruit salad looks wonderful on a hot evening. Happy Birthday to Charlie!

@lemniscate – that is a gorgeous piece of pork.  I love char siu!  I’ve never done it SV, but will try that next time!

@MaryIsobel – It probably was me that recommended the fish sticks.  They are really way better than regular ones.  Even Mr. Kim likes them – he grew up a Roman Catholic kid with fishstick Fridays, so that’s a real recommendation!  I love them in a taco, too!

We went on a day trip on Wednesday to NC to get some BBQ sauce from the place I grew up eating BBQ at.  It was a 7 hour round trip and by the time we got back to Richmond it was 8pm and we were all too exhausted to think about cooking, so we stopped at a favorite Italian/Greek (Lebanese, actually) place.  Jessica chose a Caesar:

1-IMG_0271.jpg.264bf3c505627bc994782f61d1a301e9.jpg

I got the Shrimp Sparta – like scampi, but with tomatoes:

1-IMG_0273.jpg.7d7424df8968e1aaa8fb94a3e8369058.jpg

Mr. Kim got his usual – the Chef Michael Special – baked spaghetti with all the meats and mushrooms:

1-IMG_0272.jpg.1e1115daaf89e4fe547d7bbb513c2a94.jpg

Everything was great – especially those damn rolls who no one but people of middle east extraction know the secret of.  My favorite bread in the world. 

Thursday night we went to what’s been our go-to Vietnamese place with my MIL to celebrate our July/August birthdays.  My appetizer – shrimp and pork wontons:

1-IMG_0288.jpg.c02ad091f287b73ab9c7a6fcd548dd19.jpg

Jessica got the fresh spring rolls:

1-IMG_0289.jpg.9ba71d28695771f0532658a3ce63a20d.jpg

I got the chicken soup – it’s basically a mini bowl of pho broth, chicken, a few vegetables, and noodles.  It’s the perfect size for me and this is the only place I’ve ever found it:

1-IMG_0290.jpg.45913493a4ad83e19ee7d1dbf9664cce.jpg

Jessica’s main was Bun Thit Bi Cha Gio – grilled BBQ and shredded pork w/ egg roll.  It’s a noodle bowl:

1-IMG_0291.jpg.3275cecc2c7a348611fb1dd45219e270.jpg

My MIL had the pork claypot:

1-IMG_0292.thumb.jpg.ad6b559fc36a4388e0ad523720f9a197.jpg

Which, unfortunately, she didn’t seem to like.  She didn’t finish it and for the first time Mr. Kim can ever remember, she didn’t take her leftovers home.  He did taste it and said it was very good. 

I had my usual – Bahn Xeo, a Vietnamese crepe.  It’s actually an appetizer, but big and I always make it my main course:

1-IMG_0293.jpg.f4365b00d887ecd1327790717ca0ba77.jpg

I’ve had it here many times and quite enjoyed it.  It was not good this time.  Soggy on the bottom and not terribly crisp on top, badly trimmed roast pork and overcooked shrimp.  I hope it’s just an aberration.  Mr. Kim had the Pho Tai Nam – pho with flank and eye of round:

1-IMG_0294.jpg.b17841c942b3a07034036b81a0f71e04.jpg

The broth, as always, was delicious, but the meat was badly trimmed. 

Tonight (last night – Sunday) was tomatoes on toast and Campbell’s Chicken Noodle Soup:

1-IMG_0322.jpg.08347c8b8a2e92f84a4f6cf0c6470f15.jpg 

Because, sometimes you just gotta have what your momma would have made for you 🙂

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 2

I'm starting to look forward to cooking a hot meal again - but not yet. Cold noodle salad with grilled terryaki chicken thighs, red pepper, cucumber, carrot, red cabbage, green onion, cilantro, peanuts and a (purchased) sesame ginger dressing. As with most noodle dishes, I ended up with about twice the amount I meant to make. Our twenty-something nephew is staying with us, so I'm sure it won't go to waste.

salad.jpg

Edited by MaryIsobel (log)
  • Like 9
  • Delicious 2

10 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

...especially those damn rolls who no one but people of middle east extraction know the secret of.

?

I associate Middle Eastern food with flatbreads. Please tell more about these delicious "damn rolls"! I don't see them in your photo.

Edited to add: I should have checked the Breakfast topic before asking! I see the damn rolls now.

Edited by Smithy
Updated post (log)
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Friend was in town this week, so a couple of meals out - at Marta and at the recently reopened El Quijoté in the historic Chelsea Hotel.

In between, I cooked a bit...

IMG_7310.thumb.jpeg.cb33716807cc55899d198286ff727d1e.jpeg

Chicken paella.

IMG_7318.thumb.jpeg.0fa3412d24ee85810c4b20194ff45511.jpeg

Chicken salad (from Marta's leftover chicken I couldn't finish as the portion was too large!), atop greens with some other raw vegetables and olives and artichoke hearts.

• Like 14
  • Delicious 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

4 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Friend was in town this week, so a couple of meals out - at Marta and at the recently reopened El Quijoté in the historic Chelsea Hotel.

Chicken paella.

Chicken salad (from Marta's leftover chicken I couldn't finish as the portion was too large!), atop greens with some other raw vegetables and olives and artichoke hearts.

How was El Quijote?

3 minutes ago, KennethT said:

How was El Quijote?

The room is great, beautiful, it's a lot of fun. The food is fairly generic "tapas" and larger plates.  Nothing to race over for.

Walking through the restored hotel is worth it. And the Lobby Bar (as well as the bar in El Quijoté) are both splendid.

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

27 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Chicken paella.

You've inspired me to get off my butt (so to speak) and order a paella pan that will work on my induction stove top. I had a great one, perfect size but it is non-ferrous.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Jessica got the fresh spring rolls:

That looks really good. Most often, most always, I see 16-20 or smaller cut in half and only three lined up. 

All of it looks good especially the broths. Good for them. Lots of care and love in that kitchen. 

We did a four rack box smoker day Sunday. Mozzarella and Irish white cheddar on top over an ice block. Second rack--tomatillos, onion, garlic. Then two 6oz salmon filets. Lower rack--one pound, 4 links, of fat WaldenLocal juniper berry sausage. Not at all difficult like it sounds. Took the cheese and salmon out at one hour and 15 minutes. Sausage one hour 30min. Finished roasting in the oven. Left the veg in for 2+hours but pulled the elec cord. (fridge smells amazing). Many meal/lunch choices for a few days. 

Salmon and sausage papparadelle over a mixed sauté of greens last night. 

Pasta tossed in a 1/4 pint of master stock and a blob kimchi paste. Soaked it right up and perfect. 

IMG_3806.jpeg

• Like 12