• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2022

liuzhou

I think the baking is part of the flavor.. the cheese does brown a little bit, and I wanted to try it.  I've been roasting whatever leftover tomatoes I have with herbs, OO, etc as an easy sauce base for years, family taught me the technique.  I recently read an older post on this forum where someone posted the technique a few years back :)

• Like 3

3 hours ago, jedovaty said:

I read a super simple recipe someplace on the interwebs: bake feta with cherry tomatoes, garlic, and olive oil, then stir in noodles with a little cooking water and basil.  Tastes great, but texture was a little grainy.

feta noods.jpg

I've made that recipe a few times and whether it ends up grainy or not really does depend on your feta. My daughter, who dislikes feta makes it with Boursin and that is a great variation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

It is hot today at 100ºF.  

A perfect day for dinner in the crockpot.

Chicken Adobo, an easy meal with few ingredients to toss together. 

Now I can just relax and be cool.  

Time for a chilled glass of white wine (I added a big ice cube to my glass).

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 8
  • Delicious 1

Charlie asked for a BBQ party for his birthday.  The party will be tomorrow. I have been making dishes for it for the last couple days. I will post pictures tomorrow but today I did a brisket. The target temperature to pull it was 202. It got to 199 and stalled there for two hours.  Then it took only twenty minutes more to finish.  I have heard of it taking longer but I hope this will be the longest I will ever have.

IMG_0078.jpg

IMG_0081.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 12

1 hour ago, lindag said:

It is hot today at 100ºF.  

A perfect day for dinner in the crockpot.

Chicken Adobo, an easy meal with few ingredients to toss together. 

Now I can just relax and be cool.  

Time for a chilled glass of white wine (I added a big ice cube to my glass).

PHEW!  That is very hot for you up there. I feel for you :( 

22 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

Charlie asked for a BBQ party for his birthday.  The party will be tomorrow. I have been making dishes for it for the last couple days. I will post pictures tomorrow but today I did a brisket. The target temperature to pull it was 202. It got to 199 and stalled there for two hours.  Then it took only twenty minutes more to finish.  I have heard of it taking longer but I hope this will be the longest I will ever have.

IMG_0078.jpg

IMG_0081.jpg

You are such a good dad :) 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Due possibly to @KennethT I experienced a craving for arctic char.  When I got home from work tonight, I consulted amazon and they had two fillets on my doorstep within the hour.  Expensive addiction.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

10 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Due possibly to @KennethT I experienced a craving for arctic char.  When I got home from work tonight, I consulted amazon and they had two fillets on my doorstep within the hour.  Expensive addiction.

Curious what it ran you through Amazon...

We had some super fresh Char and Spigola last night, I love doing the char med-rare when it's that fresh - just cook on a med-low grill for about 10-12 minutes, no flipping - divine.  Sorrel sauce as icing on the cake.  I think for 2 whole sides I paid $35 CDN.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, TicTac said:

Curious what it ran you through Amazon...

We had some super fresh Char and Spigola last night, I love doing the char med-rare when it's that fresh - just cook on a med-low grill for about 10-12 minutes, no flipping - divine.  Sorrel sauce as icing on the cake.  I think for 2 whole sides I paid $35 CDN.

$17.99 a pound.  $9.95 delivery fee.

I steam broiled in the anova, 5 minutes.  Baked potato, lemon wedge.  Rainer organic cherries.

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Made a big batch of sauce so I could start building up my stash in the freezer.  So spaghetti and venison meatballs happened.

thumbnail_IMG_2782.jpg.7a15bb0cf2bd96250d067521251c10e8.jpg

Ronnie came home with some beautiful pork belly on Thursday so had to have that with tomatoes sprinkled with onion, a bit of rice vinegar and dash of sesame oil.

thumbnail_IMG_2786.jpg.17dab760baa8adfc77e470d478b1864c.jpg

And Asian salad

thumbnail_IMG_2787.jpg.636f496f88090df8f82b90354e684f87.jpg

My egg rolls and frozen potstickers (that are surprisingly good)

thumbnail_IMG_2788.jpg.d407a0ea6e1a9cb900fe40c810395afb.jpg

Belly

thumbnail_IMG_2789.jpg.76d85c18e8d8c29dade141564bed5314.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2790.jpg.87c9dd2f9523d0fa906bb91a0482d1dc.jpg

Yesterday I did another cold smoked turkey breast in the SV.  Turned out much better this time.  Had to make bread for the sandwiches. 

thumbnail_IMG_2793.jpg.f292daa2f814310a7c83d7eaa7b1e653.jpg

Garden shishitos

thumbnail_IMG_2796.jpg.57748e9b3ee73443b3a251757e5dc98d.jpg

Fries

thumbnail_IMG_2797.jpg.a3803984f1053fe82a3d762752d42ec5.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2798.jpg.a395a17ceb319ed082a050bef8a70019.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

3 minutes ago, lindag said:

Now I'm really cool!

I always have an ice cube or two in white wine or rose when it's hot out. Didn't know I was cool! (When ordering in a restaurant, I always ask for a side of ice cubes as I don't want 6 ice cubes in it.)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Charlie is about to have his birthday party.  There will be pork shoulder, brisket, four bean salad from Costco, pasta salad that Charlie made, a Summer Fruit salad, coleslawpotato salad.  I think that's everything.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 4

19 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

Charlie is about to have his birthday party.  There will be pork shoulder, brisket, four bean salad from Costco, pasta salad that Charlie made, a Summer Fruit salad, coleslawpotato salad.  I think that's everything.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Happy Birthday to Charlie!!!!  Everything looks sooo good.  I've been craving 4 bean salad....and I'd prolly wipe out about 3 of those deviled eggs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Happy birthday to Charlie and wow - what a feast!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, TicTac said:

We had some super fresh Char

Farmed? I used to live in the Northwest Territories back in the 80's when I was very young and knew people who went out and fished for char, believe they can be tricky fish in the wild, it was considered a bit of a challenge. I had fresh, frozen and smoked from wild stock that people shared. Farmed char seems to be the norm these days. Iceland claims to have sustainable farmed char but I keep looking at what we are doing to wild salmon stock due to fish farming and I can't help but wonder (despair?)

1 hour ago, lemniscate said:

Some of the pork shoulder char siu (Noh powder) meat off the charcoal grill.   Pork was sous vided and then grilled.

I want to try this. I have some of the Noh char siu powder. Yours really looks lovely!