• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2022

liuzhou

We're trying to free up some freezer space and use food we already have (including what I call our dining room convenience store).  Jessica devised this meal out of some frozen stuff she has bought.  Beef and chicken taquitos, mini corndogs, and mini tacos (all frozen):

1-IMG_0251.jpg.1cdf62a76b500679c45ffffae5ad77b1.jpg

Chips, salsa, cheese dip, and 5-layer dip:

1-IMG_0248.jpg.01770431aecadb385a5be23e92ee69b0.jpg

A tomato that was so ripe, it fell apart when I cut it:

1-IMG_0249.jpg.409d8a9f18adb9bc6542639264539eb1.jpg

Leftover broccoli salad:

1-IMG_0250.jpg.695af11d7b9aed58ba52c8015a034499.jpg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 2

@Kim Shook 

dining room convenience store "

exactly right !

Tj's has taquitos .  

they sampled , back then , so many tings 

taquitos , this little tacos etc.

I associated them as  

1)   exceptionally delicious ( cumin , corn meal , meaty )

2)  oily , thus Id get something else   ( after I had a second sample, with permission ! )

however , I use the taquitos in soups .

Progresso , I reinvent , or home made 

when you want a corn island-of-deliciousness 

in that soup.   think about this for later

Fall , Winter .

• Like 1

On 7/25/2022 at 5:54 PM, Kim Shook said:

@Ann_T - If I could find a restaurant nearby that made pizza dough like yours, we’d by buying pizza at least once a week. 

@mgaretz – gorgeous meat.  I sure wish we could count on getting a tri-tip when we ask for one here. 

@Honkman – I am absolutely NOT a zucchini fan.  But I would absolutely try that zucchini-rice pie and I bet I’d like it, too!  Especially with that gorgeous salsa.  I’d leave out the curry powder and I know I’d love it.

We’ve built up a collection of cheesy things in the refrigerator and decided to make them the center of our meal Saturday night.  Cheeses and meats:

1-IMG_0235.jpg.60203cd928c1915584f16348e45ae278.jpg

Sartori BellaVitano Merlot, Old Amsterdam aged Gouda, Stilton w/ mango, soppressata, and coppa.

Cheese fondue (from Lidl) and roasted mini potatoes:

1-IMG_0241.jpg.197fcb17ebcecfbec83cc572b6731081.jpg

Additional dippers:

1-IMG_0237.jpg.f22dfbc52c1da73d680f42cfc977e408.jpg

Bread, ham, and apples. 

A couple of different breads (from Lidl):

1-IMG_0236.jpg.f53cda40b299440b9a3a2e8e38da64f8.jpg

Broccoli salad:

1-IMG_0238.jpg.e3aa0ca3fb1ef7624797b2d1508235af.jpg

With a little too much of the not-broccoli stuff.  I always have trouble getting the balance exactly right.

Hi, I am passing close to a LIDL this Friday. What can you tell me about this fondue? Anything else that I should not miss from the store?

@Kim ShookRegarding the corn silks, I don't have any tips or tricks.  Most come off with the husk and the few remaining I just stand there and pick them off lol.  I don't  usually buy corn in the husk from the store so maybe the difference is that ours is fresher from the garden?

Beautiful tomato, btw! 

@KennethTELK!!!!  It's been so long.  Elk tenderloin is one of the best meats I've ever eaten.  Your mapo tofu looks amazing.

Biscuits and sausage gravy/eggs/Brussels sprouts/sausage links.  Sausage wasn't my favorite....maple sausage must not be my thing.

thumbnail_IMG_2741.jpg.1f72010f9cc02e84d23c8d73147f7db2.jpg

Bought some good peaches from Georgia (not as good as Palisade peaches from Colorado, but I might be biased).  Also had some pretty decent strawberries and blackberries so I made a cobbler for dessert.

thumbnail_IMG_2745.jpg.76082d6b7330552775eb955ab1f9acac.jpg

Our usual cucumbers from the garden

thumbnail_IMG_2747.jpg.72efec938923a23dc17163a5f41ddec3.jpg

BLT's (yum) with the first of our sweet corn (double yum)

thumbnail_IMG_2748.jpg.71f52ffd7209fe726868356e18477d65.jpg

Ronnie swears this is the last of the doves from the freezer.  Not sure I believe him.

thumbnail_IMG_2757.jpg.326b2ef370b2fcc8c27ce9d10539f6b8.jpg

Fried crappie/Mac and cheese/spinach/tomatoes

thumbnail_IMG_2764.jpg.e4a691674f4a4156fa640f8fd665e02a.jpg

Last night after shucking a bunch more sweet corn I decided to make a Vivian Howard recipe--more about that here.  Fresh corn roasted in chicken drippings.  Good stuff.

thumbnail_IMG_2776.jpg.3c9892b65dd1a6db65952e4a87b0b2a3.jpg

First beans from our garden--don't know how many more we will get.  The heat has been kinda hard on them but, our friends who passed away from Covid in December...their daughter is carrying on their excellent bean growing ability and gave me a big bag yesterday.  Both a sad and happy gift.  We will be eating those soon!

Done in the IP with bacon and potatoes from the garden

thumbnail_IMG_2775.jpg.e1669ec4dac127514e0f81f65621de35.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2777.jpg.dd2724f7803b80ee48fcec608627c7e0.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

On 7/21/2022 at 4:07 PM, Kim Shook said:

I use the microwave method to cook – I cut the stalk ends off up to probably the 3rd row of corn, leave the husk and silk on and microwave for about 3 1/2 minutes and then shake the cob out holding it by the "tuft" of husk/silk at the top.  I’d love to know if there is some trick I’m missing.  I don’t ever remember having this much trouble. 

Kim, 

I have done corn this way for three days in a row without any issues. I think the secret is a) to make sure you have cut off the end above where it tapers and b) push rather than shake the cob out of the cut end (use a thick towel so you don’t burn your hands). Sometimes I’m only able to get a couple of rows to show and I hold these with a knife while I push the rest of the cob out. Rarely there are one or two silks to worry about. Hope this is of some help. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

4 hours ago, Shelby said:

@KennethTELK!!!!  It's been so long.  Elk tenderloin is one of the best meats I've ever eaten.  Your mapo tofu looks amazing.

Thanks! We love elk - there's a slight gaminess that's really good.  I also use bison sometimes - it's a bit cheaper than the elk, but still healthier than beef.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Thanks! We love elk - there's a slight gaminess that's really good.  I also use bison sometimes - it's a bit cheaper than the elk, but still healthier than beef.

Years ago on a road trip we stayed in John Day in Oregon, just overnight in a spare room of a couple's house. They were awfully nice people. He was, indeed, a hunter as well as a birder. My first shock came on entering the main room: There was an enormous wolf, taxidermied, hanging on one wall. It was awesome and horrifying. I stroked the fur and it was like silk. That pretty much unsettled me for good. For breakfast we were served elk that he had also shot. I'm just not a person who wants meat in the morning, especially not something gamey, even if only a "little" gamey. I took one bite and couldn't choke down any more. I felt terribly rude and embarrassed. I hope I at least partly made up for it by eating a LOT of the wife's freshly baked scones.  I was so unnerved by that beautiful dead wolf. I'll never quite get over the whole experience.

• Like 4

Post Soccer training feed for the smallest one. Left over boiled pots smashed and roasted in duck fat, leaves with a ranch(ish) dressing, and a skinny ass steak. 

20220728_185443.thumb.jpg.bfb31835ba8a099a196c43fef3dbd04a.jpg

Whilst reviews were favourable, Lord 9 did comment that he reckoned he could eat a 1kg steak in future 😒

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

Last night we made Crispy Lemon Chicken from the Better Than Take-out Lady's you tube series... delicious! Added into rotation.

IMG_20220727_204851318~3.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

On 7/26/2022 at 8:00 PM, farcego said:

Hi, I am passing close to a LIDL this Friday. What can you tell me about this fondue? Anything else that I should not miss from the store?

I'm pretty sure this was the brand (the trash has already gone).  It was simple to heat up - I used the microwave, but you can use the stovetop, too.  I really thought that the flavor was excellent - good, strong Swiss flavor - not wimpy like some prepared cheese fondues I've had in the past.  It was in the refrigerated section.  

Currently in the NY Times Eric Asimov suggests Champagne to accompany a hot dog.  Mine was served with Methode Rotus.  Only cooking required was to heat a pan of water.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Wifey is not feeling well lately so I cooked something nostalgic for her that her mother use to make.  And as far as I know nobody else.

Left over roast lamb, cut to slices then battered and fried.

IMG_20220728_193603.thumb.jpg.d09155cbd8766ab433ceea0119e58a27.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 2

3 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Currently in the NY Times Eric Asimov suggests Champagne to accompany a hot dog.  Mine was served with Methode Rotus.  

I wouldn't say the Champagne-Chicago dog pairing was exactly a rousing recommendation but I'm sure it was a fine dinner.  Did you go full Chicago on the condiments?

Few remember, but when the first Shake Shack kiosk opened in Madison Square Park, it was a hot-dog stand that offered a great Chicago-style dog. You could even get a little split of Champagne with it, which was a fine pairing with the brisk, tart-sweet components and the frank. It is not an outlandish notion.

3 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Only cooking required was to heat a pan of water.

What was the water for?  Cleaning up? Someone birthing' a baby?

• Haha 5

32 minutes ago, Captain said:

Wifey is not feeling well lately so I cooked something nostalgic for her that her mother use to make.  And as far as I know nobody else.

Left over roast lamb, cut to slices then battered and fried.

IMG_20220728_193603.thumb.jpg.d09155cbd8766ab433ceea0119e58a27.jpg

Super sweet of you. Hope she was able to enjoy it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/24/2022 at 8:14 PM, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Chicken with purslane,     A lovely marriage with green tomatillo sauce.

628152639_ScreenShot2022-07-24at6_04_13PM.png.868cdf9dcffe0cd337beaeffbd9a775c.png  1107535344_ScreenShot2022-07-24at6_04_39PM.png.9459aa304875f62d3ab889033355bc04.png

I love purslane. In my Colorado garden it grew wild and made a very nice taco filling with onion, chile, etc. My spouse is ambivalent about it but will eat it and sometimes even almost enjoy it. It's grown here and sold in the mercado by the women who sit on the ground to sell their products but I find it doesn't have much of the tart flavor I remember from my "weeds." In an hour of weeding you could harvest a mountain of it. Best before it starts to bloom.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Formerly "Nancy in CO"

3 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I wouldn't say the Champagne-Chicago dog pairing was exactly a rousing recommendation but I'm sure it was a fine dinner.  Did you go full Chicago on the condiments?

What was the water for?  Cleaning up? Someone birthing' a baby?

Mustard, of course.  No ketchup.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

7 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Currently in the NY Times Eric Asimov suggests Champagne to accompany a hot dog.  Mine was served with Methode Rotus.  Only cooking required was to heat a pan of water.

He got paid for that?

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

My nephew wanted to cook dinner with me last night.  Indian food is one of the most popular choices for his household in Montana because all four of them eat it and the leftovers are always consumed, so we went with that. He wanted a paneer dish, and my niece inexplicably hates paneer so I knew we were making two dishes at a minimum, plus he wanted to try to make chapati since he cannot cook it in MT (one housemate has celiac).  I did the non-paneer dish myself since nephew was not interested in eating it.  Keralan vegetable istoo from Meera Sodha's Made in India (veggies swapped for what I had in the house)

96878031_keralanvegetableistoo.thumb.jpg.a4e4468594057cf2e009cf0ae3ab694d.jpg

And nephew made a paneer dish and chapati from a YouTube cooking video.  

paneer3.thumb.jpg.09ad8c5a05630759f1aaed17bcaf31cc.jpg

We all agreed the chapati was pretty decent for a first try but could use some practice. The paneer dish was really good and quite spicy.  

• Like 15
  • Delicious 2

We have been having a heat wave here the last few days. And it is suppose to continue for a couple of more days.
Temperature when I got home from work was 35°C.
I had planned on making a steak dinner with a number of vegetables done on the grill.
2128671862_GrilledNewYorkStripfortwoJuly28th2022.thumb.jpg.b6e6e4ac1c0b3bb77538a43d7ffad54d.jpg
Lost my motivation so scaled  dinner down to just steak and potatoes.

Started potato slices on the grill first and when almost done, grilled a 1 lb. 2oz New York strip for Moe and I to share.
I forgot how good potatoes on the grill are. I would have been happy with just the potatoes.
  • Like 15
  • Delicious 4

I read a super simple recipe someplace on the interwebs: bake feta with cherry tomatoes, garlic, and olive oil, then stir in noodles with a little cooking water and basil.  Tastes great, but texture was a little grainy.

feta noods.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 2

54 minutes ago, jedovaty said:

I read a super simple recipe someplace on the interwebs: bake feta with cherry tomatoes, garlic, and olive oil, then stir in noodles with a little cooking water and basil.  Tastes great, but texture was a little grainy.

feta noods.jpg

Flavors sound nice. I like roasted tpmatoes. I'd add a sprig of rosemary , thyme, or oregano. Feta does run the gamut from creamy to crumbly so that may have been a factor in graininess. I'd be more inclined to bake/roast the tomato + aromatics, then put in pan with feta and let it melt till creamy. The pata water and noodles could go same time. Should not take more than a warm u of  minute or so to meld it all. Many here like to roast the tomatoes in bulk and keep as a flavorful ingredient for such quick assemblies. They freeze well.  I also like your plate shape.

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Thanks 1