• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2022

liuzhou

15 minutes ago, Orbit said:

Peruvian chicken 

91EA2CC6-0641-44D7-A12C-051E45C12BEC.jpeg

Well Peru is upside down of our North American hemi ;)  The chimichurri? sauce looks good.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Pizza Night!!
This dough was made on Tuesday and was in the fridge until around 11:30 AM today.
Sat on the counter to warm up and continue to rise.
Divided into three balls. One larger and two at just 200g each.
Dough was ready to use by the time I got home from work around 5:30.
Made two mini pizzas, baked in the Ooni.
794303423_MiniPizzaPepperoniOliveandGreenPepperJuly23rd2022.thumb.jpg.312c3f23f7a3be49cc9786d4df818936.jpg

1473268370_MiniPizzaPepperoniOliveandGreenPepperJuly23rd20221.thumb.jpg.c970cba5867471eebe8a29021a7d4ff1.jpg
Pepperoni, Olives and green peppers for Moe
797407598_MiniPizzaPepperoniandMushroomJuly23rd2022.thumb.jpg.b85881387a1ef69e0d9bdb3fb9e767b8.jpg
1446728360_MiniPizzaPepperoniandMushroomJuly23rd20221.thumb.jpg.56dd061967e1986ff51a7aaaf5c050ea.jpg

and Pepperoni and mushroom for me.
2095414868_PestoandArtichokePizzaJuly23rd2022.thumb.jpg.a19dbdd74ed562e468b248fd2343818b.jpg
Matt used the larger ball to make an Artichoke and Pesto pizza, which he baked at 550°F on a stone in the conventional oven.
He also made the pesto.  Harvest the basil from our herb garden. 

This is the same dough that I use in my baguettes. I've tried many different pizza dough recipes and haven't found one I like better than this one.
  • Like 12
  • Delicious 6

11 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

re: growing up traditional sides to roast chicken.  With an English stepdad and sisters it tended to be Brussels sprouts, roast potatoes, Bisto, and even Yorkies.  In later years, my mom began sneaking in Stove Top because she and I love dressing so much and it was acceptable to the Brits

Definitely B. sprouts and roast potatoes. Usually boiled carrots, too. Burdall's gravy (similar to Bisto, but better - no longer made.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

19 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

@Ann_T – as always when you post chicken and gravy, I now have a craving.  What is that to the left of the chicken?  Between it and the mashed potatoes?  It looks like dressing (be still my heart).

@Kim Shook, yes, dressing, baked separately.  Another traditional side. 

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1

Nice ribs last night. This 'cut' has the boneless flat or whatever that is called. Recently we have had stLouis and lamb ribs. Way too much meat for the two of us with the boneless 'flat', so we will maybe have lettuce wraps and tacos tomorrow night. (tonight is salmon). 

A side of beans and veg. Beet greens and chard and zucchini from the garden. Making a dent in the RG beans. Nice corona, yellow eye, small black beans. Always nice in summer salads, warm or cold. 

My pantry grains are thinning as well but ordered some quinoa and garbanzos. Never have been a fan of quinoa but I do like it in a mixed grain. Especially with toasted nuts and seeds. Used the last of our Palouse wheat berries but that is a Fall grain. Need variety. 

Screen Shot 2022-07-24 at 11.21.36 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-24 at 11.34.59 AM.png

Edited by Annie_H (log)
  • Like 6
  • Delicious 1

On 7/22/2022 at 9:05 PM, Ann_T said:
1982622803_RoastChickenDinnerJuly22nd20223.thumb.jpg.1ee3e8fdd555af0f5db88c63ca20d9e9.jpg

All the traditional sides. Mashed potatoes, gravy, Brussels sprouts, and rutabaga.
I think this will keep Moe going until tonight.

Not unusual in the EastCoast South, Delaware and down, to have a chicken or turkey Sunday brunch year round. Even most NY diners have a good loaded early brunch and not junk. (some suck). Fresh roasted am. Might be from a previously frozen turkey breast but a half or quartered chicken roasted is is common with holiday sides. In my itty bitty hometown an oyster dressing is common. Often cornbread. Always gravy. Sides are what is locally in season. Biscuits and gravy...

Not what we did but my grandmother and aunt went out for Sunday brunch every week for years. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mgaretz said:

Tri-tip, cooked SV then seared, served with leftover rice with some soy sauce.

I can almost taste the beefiness. Loverly!

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Annie_H said:

Friday night was porcini aranchini. Stuffed with mozzarella. 

(had to freezer most of them. I made way too many)

Screen Shot 2022-07-23 at 8.52.25 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-23 at 9.56.58 AM.png

Aranchini are something I love to eat but have never made. Do you deep fry or shallow fry? Deep frying is not something I ever do. I love the result but not the process. My husband loves to make fish and chips but I insist that he does it outside because I swear the smell of deep frying lingers in our house for days.

Edited by MaryIsobel (log)
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

Aranchini are something I love to eat but have never made. Do you deep fry or shallow fry? Deep frying is not something I ever do. I love the result but not the process. My husband loves to make fish and chips but I insit that he does it outside because I swear the smell of deep frying lingers in our house for days.

I know you didn’t ask me, but you can bake them instead of frying if you prefer. For the best color, lightly toast the breadcrumbs first. I also spritz them with a bit of olive before baking for flavor but it’s not enough to get them evenly brown. 
Here's a link to a post where I was too lazy to toast the breadcrumbs and the arancini are rather pallid:

Here's one where I did pre toast and you can see the look much nicer. 

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, blue_dolphin said:

I know you didn’t ask me, but you can bake them instead of frying if you prefer. For the best color, lightly toast the breadcrumbs first. I also spritz them with a bit of olive before baking for flavor. 

Thanks Blue Dolphin! I tried to make baked ones once and it was an abyssmal failure, but toasting the breadcrumbs first is a brilliant idea which I shall try. We are looking at temps of 34-36C for the next week so my mindset is on salads and cold meals but once it cools down a bit, I see risotto and aranchini in our future.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

Thanks Blue Dolphin! I tried to make baked ones once and it was an abyssmal failure, but toasting the breadcrumbs first is a brilliant idea which I shall try. We are looking at temps of 34-36C for the next week so my mindset is on salads and cold meals but once it cools down a bit, I see risotto and aranchini in our future.

I edited my post above with links that show the difference toasting the breadcrumbs makes. 

• Thanks 1

I have never deep fried. Lower right pic is a small pat of butter and whisper of avocado oil. Medium heat. My cast irons are well seasoned. A shake. For a few minutes to roll around and brown. Then into the oven to roast on low heat.--while I prep the rest of the meal. My rub/dry brine has a bit of palm sugar, not at all sweet, but roasts like a fry in the oven. 

Obviously Thursday night I made a gorgeous porcini risotto. Always make more than a meal for next day arancini. It firms up overnight like grits/polenta. Moisture evaporation. 

*a good friend a-hole once brought a gallon of shit oil and 20 pounds of potatoes to a party of 75+. We hosted lots of parties in the day having a huge loft. He did not ask ahead. Decided he wanted to make French fries. Total disruption of the kitchen dealio. We had an oyster bar and massive great foods prepped ahead. He made a mess. 🙄 Who brings a fry mess to party?...and does not clean up?

Jerky😂

My risotto...thursday. Divert your eyes those that trashed it before---tic-tak and Paul bochino, (sp)

I was not insulted being a NewYorker. Maybe my garnish insists an apology. 😂

Screen Shot 2022-07-22 at 2.51.38 PM.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

24 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Chicken with purslane,     A lovely marriage with green tomatillo sauce.

628152639_ScreenShot2022-07-24at6_04_13PM.png.868cdf9dcffe0cd337beaeffbd9a775c.png  1107535344_ScreenShot2022-07-24at6_04_39PM.png.9459aa304875f62d3ab889033355bc04.png

2 different tarts? Is it growing wild for you?

@Ann_T - If I could find a restaurant nearby that made pizza dough like yours, we’d by buying pizza at least once a week. 

@mgaretz – gorgeous meat.  I sure wish we could count on getting a tri-tip when we ask for one here. 

@Honkman – I am absolutely NOT a zucchini fan.  But I would absolutely try that zucchini-rice pie and I bet I’d like it, too!  Especially with that gorgeous salsa.  I’d leave out the curry powder and I know I’d love it.

We’ve built up a collection of cheesy things in the refrigerator and decided to make them the center of our meal Saturday night.  Cheeses and meats:

1-IMG_0235.jpg.60203cd928c1915584f16348e45ae278.jpg

Sartori BellaVitano Merlot, Old Amsterdam aged Gouda, Stilton w/ mango, soppressata, and coppa.

Cheese fondue (from Lidl) and roasted mini potatoes:

1-IMG_0241.jpg.197fcb17ebcecfbec83cc572b6731081.jpg

Additional dippers:

1-IMG_0237.jpg.f22dfbc52c1da73d680f42cfc977e408.jpg

Bread, ham, and apples. 

A couple of different breads (from Lidl):

1-IMG_0236.jpg.f53cda40b299440b9a3a2e8e38da64f8.jpg

Broccoli salad:

1-IMG_0238.jpg.e3aa0ca3fb1ef7624797b2d1508235af.jpg

With a little too much of the not-broccoli stuff.  I always have trouble getting the balance exactly right.

• Like 10
  • Delicious 5