• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2022

liuzhou

A nice, light summer dinner. Prepared when the temperature of the window shade next to my sink read...

image.thumb.jpeg.cf7139ec9162156da7a6814298f98e63.jpeg

So, why not...

image.thumb.jpeg.60e085f0c6edab5c74f61132b8b82e5d.jpeg

Pork (neck) and Hatch green chili stew, with potatoes and beans.  And might as well...

image.thumb.jpeg.e70ceacc5a99e60715e05f16ba7855f6.jpeg

Steam some corn.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Using up some patty pan squash from the farmers market. Gemelli, caramelized squash, cherry tomatoes, lots of garlic and aleppo pepper, basil and parm. 

5E78C84F-0EF4-4C16-95F3-8280A26C6AF5.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

I've had a craving for a roast chicken dinner and had been thinking about it for the last week. I presalted a chicken on Wednesday with the intention of roasting it yesterday.
But by the time I got home from work, all I wanted to do was watch the Jan 6th hearing and since neither of us was hungry for a big dinner
1661970029_RoastChickenDinnerJuly22nd2022.thumb.jpg.61d2148f825b366ddbaf02bdb325d7f9.jpg
I postponed dinner until this morning when Moe said he would be very happy with a roast chicken dinner for breakfast.
I had actually made the dressing before leaving for work yesterday morning and it was in a casserole and just had to be baked.
1982622803_RoastChickenDinnerJuly22nd20223.thumb.jpg.1ee3e8fdd555af0f5db88c63ca20d9e9.jpg

All the traditional sides. Mashed potatoes, gravy, Brussels sprouts, and rutabaga.
I think this will keep Moe going until tonight.
  • Like 17
  • Delicious 5

9 hours ago, Ann_T said:

All the traditional sides. Mashed potatoes, gravy, Brussels sprouts, and rutabaga

Beautiful roast chicken...but...Brussels sprouts and rutabaga were hardly traditional sides in the house where I grew up 😉.

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

Beautiful roast chicken...but...Brussels sprouts and rutabaga were hardly traditional sides in the house where I grew up 😉.

@Weinoo, I don't remember a holiday dinner which was Turkey, without rutabaga or turnip as my family called it.   Brussels sprouts, were often on the menu

but , it might also be broccoli or asparagus or some other vegetable.  But always rutabaga.  And since I tend to roast chickens more than turkey, I almost always

have rutabaga.  It is a favourite vegetable so it gets served with other meats too.  Especially love it with lamb or in stews. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

@Weinoo, I don't remember a holiday dinner which was Turkey, without rutabaga or turnip as my family called it.   Brussels sprouts, were often on the menu

but , it might also be broccoli or asparagus or some other vegetable.  But always rutabaga.  And since I tend to roast chickens more than turkey, I almost always

have rutabaga.  It is a favourite vegetable so it gets served with other meats too.  Especially love it with lamb or in stews. 

That's cool - very different backgrounds!  I actually like both rutabaga and/or turnips - they're lovely veg.  

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

44 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

rutabaga or turnip

I agree with you. I love rutabaga and it was my daughter's favorite vegetable when they were growing up. There are so many different ways to fix rutabagas and turnips and I really miss them. I have never seen them here in Costa Rica so I tried growing them myself a couple times and it turns out that the insects love them as much as I do. That's probably why they're not a very popular crop here.

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, weinoo said:

Out of curiosity what were/are  traditional sides with roast chicken? I have never thought of there being such things. Again I am sure it’s matter of family history. 

• Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

13 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Out of curiosity what were/are  traditional sides with roast chicken? I have never thought of there being such things. Again I am sure it’s matter of family history. 

Peas & carrots. Potato of some sort. Cole slaw?  After my mother got through putting the chicken through the deflavorizer, it didn't really matter much!

• Haha 7

Tasty Travails - My Blog

1 minute ago, weinoo said:

Peas & carrots. Potato of some sort. Cole slaw?  After my mother got through putting the chicken through the deflavorizer, it didn't really matter much!

Thanks, I could say a great deal more but I do not wish to take the topic into the stratosphere. 

• Haha 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

47 minutes ago, weinoo said:

My mother had one of those!

• Haha 4

Burger, cooked on the indoor grill, on brioche bread with homemade 1000 island dressing.  Brussels sprouts were tossed in avocado oil and also cooked directly on the grill since they were so huge!

burger-brus2.jpg.a70679b1b9b80fdd788a9746e8116924.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 2

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

@Dante – your chili dogs are scrumptious looking!  And a patty melt is one of the top burger sandwiches, in my opinion!

@gfweb – gorgeous scallops!  You always get such a great sear on yours. 

@Ann_T – as always when you post chicken and gravy, I now have a craving.  What is that to the left of the chicken?  Between it and the mashed potatoes?  It looks like dressing (be still my heart).

@Anna N – re: growing up traditional sides to roast chicken.  With an English stepdad and sisters it tended to be Brussels sprouts, roast potatoes, Bisto, and even Yorkies.  In later years, my mom began sneaking in Stove Top because she and I love dressing so much and it was acceptable to the Brits 😁

@mgaretz – I love burgers on bread instead of buns sometimes.  My mom did that fairly often (there was always ground beef in the freezer, but not buns) – queue the famous Eddie Murphy McDonald’s vs. Mom’s burger bit.  But you smartly make your burgers big enough to pretty much cover the bread.  We always had leftover over corners of bread!

Lots of dining out for us in the past few evenings! 

Night before last we met friends for dinner at a new (to us) Vietnamese place that they discovered.  We started with Started with 5-Spice Calamari:

1-20220721_183700.jpg.a6b904df7f167008f24c2a216c8b0f45.jpg

No detectable 5-Spice flavor and a bit tough.  But very delicate, sweet squid.  Mr. Kim had the Shaking Beef Pho:

1-20220721_184659.jpg.4ba2b2829fd5a4c4ccef40cb506eae85.jpg

The flavor of everything was excellent and the beef was very tender, but he said the Shaking Beef flavor was kind of lost in the broth.  I had my favorite Bahn Xeo:

1-20220721_184747.jpg.692484cece545c396e5f2b3e72a5778e.jpg

It was one of the best I’ve ever had.  It had plenty of pork and shrimp (in most places I’m tempted to request extra shrimp) and the crepe stayed crispy throughout. 

Last night Jessica and I went out to see the movie “Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris” and had dinner at our favorite Mexican place.  Their excellent guacamole:

1-IMG_0225.jpg.3489494c5ea22fc5fe0957c24ab4602b.jpg

And the Virginia Mexican restaurant white sauce:

1-IMG_0226.thumb.jpg.a46f25326e49a48b1eadb54af3beb33f.jpg

This sauce may have traveled outside of the Commonwealth by now, but it apparently began in southeastern VA.  It’s an interesting story

I had beef chimichangas and Jessica had shrimp (they look the same):

1-IMG_0228.jpg.0c7bce5397e031c71d846515da236fd9.jpg

1-IMG_0229.jpg.2e4b65f56d1dffb88d90a5bf787e8726.jpg

And I added a regular crunchy taco because I love White People tacos:

1-IMG_0227.jpg.e4faf2c16d994da40b17fa9945787770.jpg

😁

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, weinoo said:

Exactly. Roast chicken was obtained from Williams bbq on Broadway and was accompanied by their barley- mushroom casserole and a vinegar-heavy salad. Salad was the only thing my Dad would eat that qualifies as vegetable matter. He would have laughed out loud if anyone served him brussels sprouts or rutabaga, neither of which I ever laid eyes on until I moved to CA. He probably knew the word "rutabaga' because he was a crossword puzzle addict. My food of choice in 12th grade when stoned was a foil tub of that mushroom barley stuff. I would kill for that now; brave an airplane full of maskless fools--if only Williams still existed, which it does not. That chicken does look good. I just talked my husband into roasting one for dinner, making good use of my time on eG! 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1