• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2022

liuzhou

Very busy these days. Very warm outside. Very unmotivated to do anything.

Turned on the grill, got a few items this morning while getting my Mett from the butcher. Pork loin “steaks”, coarse (= raw) and fine (= preboiled) sausages.

E0D2A5D2-E3DB-406A-B047-1F8816DF7DE8.thumb.jpeg.6dbceab549c6d3bdbb038ca373715daa.jpeg

Served the fine Bratwurst with a homemade curry sauce.

2E319EAF-5A0C-4A09-AFAC-3120DEECB030.thumb.jpeg.31a6d13f0a1cf9efc991e705c860b954.jpeg

As Herbert Grönemeyer put it many, many years ago:

”Gehst Du in die Stadt,

was macht Dich da satt ?

Die Currywurst !

When you go town,

what fills you up ?

A Currywurst

Kommste vonne Schicht,

wat Schönres jibt es nicht,

wie Currywurst !

If you return from the shift,

nothing will beat

the Currywurst 

Mit de Pommes dabei,

ach dann geben Sie gleich zwei-

mal Currywurst !

With french fries, 

well, then just make it two

Currywurst”

It’s a dish for all occasions …

The marinated pork loin wasn’t bad, either. Pretty lean, but with some garlic butter quite palatable …

EF56033E-8E71-4A49-99F8-E8BFE1C4FEE8.thumb.jpeg.759a2367fecd99fcf28b1a397df0d247.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

52 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Very busy these days. Very warm outside. Very unmotivated to do anything.

Turned on the grill, got a few items this morning while getting my Mett from the butcher. Pork loin “steaks”, coarse (= raw) and fine (= preboiled) sausages.

E0D2A5D2-E3DB-406A-B047-1F8816DF7DE8.thumb.jpeg.6dbceab549c6d3bdbb038ca373715daa.jpeg

Served the fine Bratwurst with a homemade curry sauce.

2E319EAF-5A0C-4A09-AFAC-3120DEECB030.thumb.jpeg.31a6d13f0a1cf9efc991e705c860b954.jpeg

As Herbert Grönemeyer put it many, many years ago:

”Gehst Du in die Stadt,

was macht Dich da satt ?

Die Currywurst !

When you go town,

what fills you up ?

A Currywurst

Kommste vonne Schicht,

wat Schönres jibt es nicht,

wie Currywurst !

If you return from the shift,

nothing will beat

the Currywurst 

Mit de Pommes dabei,

ach dann geben Sie gleich zwei-

mal Currywurst !

With french fries, 

well, then just make it two

Currywurst”

It’s a dish for all occasions …

The marinated pork loin wasn’t bad, either. Pretty lean, but with some garlic butter quite palatable …

EF56033E-8E71-4A49-99F8-E8BFE1C4FEE8.thumb.jpeg.759a2367fecd99fcf28b1a397df0d247.jpeg

What is Mett?

14 minutes ago, KennethT said:

What is Mett?

You’ve got to be kidding me …

Mett - the closest thing mortals can experience to Ambrosia (provided the latter is - as I suspect - a pork product). Find an earlier account from me here

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, heidih said:

My apologies, but this is article deals with Mettwurst, not with Mett. Loosely related, yet two different products. Mettwurst is cured meat and - well stuffed into a casing to make Wurst - and Mett is just ground, spiced raw meat.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@Duvel 

do you chop up your own

Mett ?

Ive forgotten.

or o you have a favorite

or two

butchers where you get it

extra fresh ?

if you chop your own :

what cuts do you use ?

why do your butchers use ?

and fat ( finely chopped  ) @ 25 %  or so ?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Duvel said:

My apologies, but this is article deals with Mettwurst, not with Mett. Loosely related, yet two different products. Mettwurst is cured meat and - well stuffed into a casing to make Wurst - and Mett is just ground, spiced raw meat.

So sorry!!!! I need to sit on my hands more frequently

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

@Duvel 

do you chop up your own

Mett ?

Ive forgotten.

or o you have a favorite

or two

butchers where you get it

extra fresh ?

if you chop your own :

what cuts do you use ?

why do your butchers use ?

and fat ( finely chopped  ) @ 25 %  or so ?

Normally, you go to a good butcher. Only if you partake in slaughtering the animal you’ll make your own. Freshness is key, and “just” grinding up a piece of purchased meat might not be enough in that regard.

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Duvel said:

You’ve got to be kidding me …

Mett - the closest thing mortals can experience to Ambrosia (provided the latter is - as I suspect - a pork product). Find an earlier account from me here

Wow!!!  That looks amazing.  Sorry for my ignorance, I don't think I've ever looked at the Breakfast thread - I pretty much only eat breakfast while on vacation.  I'm also not a huge fan of most American breakfast foods, but I agree - that Mett would be good any time of day!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After a birthday party for our little ones, I threw together a meal that perhaps even our resident schnitzel master @Duvelmight approve..

3BC8B34B-A292-435C-9A91-951825D0177A.thumb.jpeg.ac244f94cbc2d2ee434e39d132b2febd.jpeg

chicken schnitzel 

CE44F7CC-C0C7-4182-B82B-620B8580E264.thumb.jpeg.4df32971c25d3b2593e53358aa626e6a.jpeg

new potato salad tossed in fresh mayo and Dijon 

8DE9A5B8-7424-47D1-9BE6-F0EEC9DB673E.thumb.jpeg.ad369a24d8849052cc25212456bf1272.jpeg

sautéed romain and peas or as my grandmother calls it ‘cocch salad’ 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 6

3 hours ago, Duvel said:

Okay, I'll admit that you've sent me down the rabbit hole on this one.     I enjoy beef, veal and lamb tartare, but am somewhat boggled at what is essentially pork tartare.    Moreover, the rabbit hole recipes call for belly and shoulder, at least 25% fat.    I can't get my arms around a raw, cold pork fatty spoonful.     What am I missing?

eGullet member #80.

8 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

What am I missing?

German genes. 

• Haha 12

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

It's been a pretty wet week or two on the gulf coast.  Less soggy today so dinner came off the grill tonight.  Dinner was nice, fatty pork steaks that I trimmed off of a butt that were marinated in olive oil, meyer lemon juice, rosemary, garlic and S&P with grilled potatoes.  The potatoes were parboiled then quartered and slipped into the leftover marinade with the addition of butter prior to grilling.  

IMG_20220716_184507887_HDR.thumb.jpg.bef98821fba0474ecce1e0831c46aec0.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 5

After the last week of eating practically nothing but arctic char, lamb and langoustine continental style, then a week of takeout, it was nice to have time to have a home cooked meal. Sing/Viet black pepper shrimp. The secret ingredient is soaked/chopped/pounded/fried dried shrimp!!! I could put that sh!t on everything.

PXL_20220717_004101760.PORTRAIT-01.thumb.jpeg.78f656c3a9b479a80d974e7e58c104a6.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 4

4 hours ago, KennethT said:

Hence the importance of trusting one's butcher.

And the law. As per German law, every large animal will undergo the Fleischbeschau, where selected pieces of the animal (including organs) will be examined before it is released for consumption. It seems to be effective: from 2001-2011, an average of 6 cases of trichinosis per year have been reported for Germany (RKI).

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Moreover, the rabbit hole recipes call for belly and shoulder, at least 25% fat.    I can't get my arms around a raw, cold pork fatty spoonful.     What am I missing?

I think genetically we are unable to resist salted raw animal protein. I can’t. Think oysters, carpaccio, rare steak … It is umami central.

Then mentally add some background spices (think nutmeg, bit of clove, …) and a bit of ooomph (freshly ground black pepper, raw onions). Imagine this on a buttered rye roll (more fat & those great toasted Maillard flavors). 

This is what you are missing …

75CAE8FB-ED36-4087-A7F2-FEDEC79386F7.thumb.jpeg.8d2251c4567037673b59eeef61cb8e65.jpeg

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

4 hours ago, Duvel said:

And the law. As per German law, every large animal will undergo the Fleischbeschau, where selected pieces of the animal (including organs) will be examined before it is released for consumption. It seems to be effective: from 2001-2011, an average of 6 cases of trichinosis per year have been reported for Germany (RKI).

The average in the US, per the CDC, is 10-16 cases per year. They're almost invariably from eating undercooked game, though there are occasional cases caused by backyard hogs as well. Getting trichinellosis from commercially-raised pork is vanishingly rare, and has been for decades. That's why the USDA eventually dropped its recommended temperature for pork to 145F, the same as for other meats.

The numbers are similarly low in Canada (our regulations for pork-rearing are slightly more stringent than in the US), though our government still clings to the 165F guideline.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

3 hours ago, chromedome said:

The average in the US, per the CDC, is 10-16 cases per year. They're almost invariably from eating undercooked game, though there are occasional cases caused by backyard hogs as well. Getting trichinellosis from commercially-raised pork is vanishingly rare, and has been for decades. That's why the USDA eventually dropped its recommended temperature for pork to 145F, the same as for other meats.

The numbers are similarly low in Canada (our regulations for pork-rearing are slightly more stringent than in the US), though our government still clings to the 165F guideline.

Yes the late @David Ross and I used the laugh about the intense undercooked pork fear instilled in our parents. My father the former butcher still has it. His wife still cooks pork that should be a quick stir-fry on high heat for an hour or more until the small bite sized pieces are like tasteless dry cotton. I never eat anything she cooks...

• Like 2