• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2022

liuzhou

3 hours ago, Ann_T said:

I'm almost always awake by 3AM and sometimes earlier. Might as well bake.

Our alarm goes off at 4.01 am. I'm always up an hour earlier. 

Monday night I did a quick prep. Pressed the tofu and made the sauces and sticky rice. Tuesday morning I marinated the tofu and salmon. 

Last night was a sheet pan roasted tofu, salmon, and kimchi rubbed halved romaine-while the dumplings were steaming. 

Sunday I smoke/roasted a chicken and made a master stock so was easy to make a miso soup on the back burner. Seems ambitious for a weeknight but most was prepped ahead. And made nice lunches. 

Not sure if it is a thing but I made sticky rice balls with furikake--made a batch last week. Stuffed with a salmon chunk for our lunch bowls. 

Dumplings made by FlyByJing. 

IMG_3644.jpeg

Screen Shot 2022-07-13 at 10.52.17 AM.png

• Like 10

Your sticky rice balls w/ furikake are something I would try. Love the toenail shot in the stock. How I miss torturing the teenage boys with chicken feet from my freezer storage. They would have to move the bag to get to their frozen "junk food". Grown men now - and they have not forgotten ;)

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, heidih said:

Your sticky rice balls w/ furikake are something I would try. Love the toenail shot in the stock. How I miss torturing the teenage boys with chicken feet from my freezer storage. They would have to move the bag to get to their frozen "junk food". Grown men now - and they have not forgotten ;)

A common trick for years is to label freezer goods 'liver', 'chicken paws', 'beef tongue', when in fact it was prepped ahead holiday cookies or Chex party mix. 

DH has been recently smitten with sticky rice balls for lunch. Inside-out sushi. I do stock the snack pack mini nori sheets that I could roll them in but at 4am I just pack the balls with other pre-made salads. Just ordered another 12 pack of mini nori from misfits. 

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

Charlie gave me a scare. He asked for a salad for lunch. :) I knew he was OK later  when he asked for meatballs and spaghetti for supper.  It was too hot to turn on the oven so I used the grill instead. 

IMG_0041.jpg

IMG_0043.jpg

Looks great Norm!  And having ground beef and pork at the ready is no small feat.

• Like 2

Warm sauté salad greens--kale, leek, fennel, charred corn, cherry tomatoes. Cast iron seared flank steak. First course we ate in the kitchen right out of the pan--zucchini flower fritters. 

Screen Shot 2022-07-15 at 9.07.48 AM.png

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

The only thing of note I made today is a cake. I don't make cake often enough to know that something that sounds off really is off and I didn't know that one can of cherries will not come close to being 2 1/2 cups, and that the frosting would need to be whipped. I figured it out eventually though.

IMG_0046.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 1

Well looks might not have been movie star/Victoria's Secret but chocolate & cherries has always appealed to me. Moist brownies with cherries are a fond memory.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Norm Matthews said:

I figured it out eventually though

I would happily dig right in. Good for you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Spent three nights this week in StL, taking in a couple of ballgames. Thursday night, SO and I decided on Carmine’s Steakhouse, a downtown classic, for dinner.

Mixed reviews. I wasn’t tremendously hungry, so we opted to split a 16-oz NY strip. I had lobster bites, an appetizer, served at the same time. The menu noted they were “tender chunks of lobster with lemon cream sauce.” Ok. The menu did NOT note the chunks were dipped in a light tempura batter and deep fried, which was ok, or that the lemon cream sauce was SWEET (lemon pie sweet!) and did NOT come on the side, but forming a pool on which the lobster sat. 

Way too much sweet. Overpowered the lobster.

The steak, however, was excellent.

• Sad 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On 7/14/2022 at 1:16 PM, gfweb said:

Cod with romesco, charred broccoli, roasted root veg

20220714_160906(1).thumb.png.d8b827865cf4fbc34193582a9898e37e.png

Love this photo.

Last night's dinner.
718366843_VealSchnitzelJuly15th2022.thumb.jpg.a61720245d47e0bdf124377a8cccae07.jpg
Veal Schnitzel with Mushroom Sauce.
774820473_VealSchnitzelJuly15th20221.thumb.jpg.a2de72b1e8fd1791dac963b25da48024.jpg
With sides of red cabbage and spaetzle.
Took a little longer to make than my normal work night dinners, but was worth a little extra time.
  • Like 14
  • Delicious 5

Another unattractive curry that tasted good.  This one had chicken, cauliflower and cashews.  My nephew especially enjoyed it.  He's not usually a big cauliflower fan but he liked this preparation enough to ask for the recipe.  

588383491_cashewcauliflowercurry.thumb.jpg.a7bdacd000276337bfa89052fecbe53f.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 3

9 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

Another unattractive curry that tasted good.  This one had chicken, cauliflower and cashews.  My nephew especially enjoyed it.  He's not usually a big cauliflower fan but he liked this preparation enough to ask for the recipe.  

588383491_cashewcauliflowercurry.thumb.jpg.a7bdacd000276337bfa89052fecbe53f.jpg

Personally, I wouldn't call it unattractive!  Is taht paratha or naan?  Do you make from scratch?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

curry

I'm not a great fan of Curry but your naan always look so beautiful. I know you told me once how you made it but I seem to have lost the recipe. Could you please repeat it for me. Thank you.

• Like 1