• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2022

liuzhou

7 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Thai-ish green bean salad with simple marinated & fried shrimps …

AB79C5A5-BE1F-4D4B-9550-63E879602C89.thumb.jpeg.1aa1a819179d3ebefedd903d403d6054.jpeg

Are those fried cashews in the salad? Appealing.

Baked rolls this morning.
105744758_RollsdoughmadeSaturdayMorningandbakedTuesdaymorningJuly12th2022.thumb.jpg.c6e48226372513f27927d07d0d2680db.jpg
They were out of the oven before 6:30 AM.
Dough made on Saturday and it went into the fridge until last night.
Left out on the counter until early this morning.

Put a small pork roast in the smoker this morning and

1714502714_SmokedPorkRoastat165readytobefoiledwrappedJuly12th2022.thumb.jpg.c7d5538272e24679bf03aa25da52906e.jpg
after about three hours it reached 165°F. This is what it looked like before I wrapped it in foil and back into the smoker until it reached 203°F.
2055685353_SmokedPulledPorkSandwichwithColeslawJuly12th20221.thumb.jpg.464bab7e2c12a9d6ce61623caf9db764.jpg

For dinner I made pulled pork sandwiches on the rolls and topped with a coleslaw with a vinegar dressing.
Served with roasted potato wedges.
Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 13
  • Delicious 5

Spaghetti alla Nerano - Interesting variation from CI whereas instead of deep frying the zucchini you “cook” them in the microwave for 12 minutes (to evaporate some water) and afterwards sear them in a pan to get a similar result as deep-frying but without handling large amounts of oil. Otherwise you make the creamy sauce using pasta water, butter, basil, provolone and parmesan.

79931FCB-A889-4661-84F3-CD1F64A1EAB4.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 3

28 minutes ago, Ann_T said:
Baked rolls this morning.
105744758_RollsdoughmadeSaturdayMorningandbakedTuesdaymorningJuly12th2022.thumb.jpg.c6e48226372513f27927d07d0d2680db.jpg
They were out of the oven before 6:30 AM.
Dough made on Saturday and it went into the fridge until last night.
Left out on the counter until early this morning.

Put a small pork roast in the smoker this morning and

1714502714_SmokedPorkRoastat165readytobefoiledwrappedJuly12th2022.thumb.jpg.c7d5538272e24679bf03aa25da52906e.jpg
after about three hours it reached 165°F. This is what it looked like before I wrapped it in foil and back into the smoker until it reached 203°F.
2055685353_SmokedPulledPorkSandwichwithColeslawJuly12th20221.thumb.jpg.464bab7e2c12a9d6ce61623caf9db764.jpg

For dinner I made pulled pork sandwiches on the rolls and topped with a coleslaw with a vinegar dressing.
Served with roasted potato wedges.

Beautiful!

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

"Help!" I yelped to a friend who knows much more about cooking game and about sous vide cookery than I do. "How should I cook this? Sous vide time and temperature???" It was still frozen in its package as I typed.

I'm trying to work my way down through treasures in the freezer. In this case it involved a smallish roast provided by my DIL. I thought it was labeled "back roast" but today realized it was labeled "buck roast". I thought it looked a looked like a tri-tip roast, but really didn't know the precise cut.

I should add, by way of background, that my husband distrusts deer meat in almost any form. That doesn't stop his daughter (to whom I refer as my DIL although that technically isn't correct) from donating some to us. I think she does it mostly because she knows I like it. Perhaps annoying him is a side benefit.

While I waited for an answer from my friend, I threw the frozen bag into a 120F bath. It sat there for several hours, thawing and beginning to cook. In the meantime, I heard from my friend, who apologized for not having answered more quickly (she does has a life!) and who pointed me to Hank Shaw. He said, in essence, that sous vide isn't generally a good choice for venison. There are exceptions, but my cut wasn't one.

Well, heck. By that time I was committed, both in terms of timing and scheduling. I stuck with the plan, and let that roast bathe for several hours at 120F.

Then I emptied its bag of the ozmasome and added a prepackaged marinade.

20220712_215357-1.jpg

Other dinner preparations involved cleaning and slicing or chopping a red bell pepper, two jalapenos, half an onion, a nice bunch of garlic scapes, and assorted salad greens. When it came time to cook I oiled the peppers and onions and cooked them over a barbecue wok, and seared the deer steak on a high-heat grill to develop a crust. After I pulled the meat from the grill, I sliced and cut it for our salads. Below is the (quite unappetizing, no wonder my friend has a separate life) picture of the still-frozen roast, then what happened after it had been sous-vided, marinated and grilled.

20220712_215735-2.jpg

The funny thing about this salad was that I got the fisheye from my DH at the very thought of venison, but he liked this. On the other hand I wasn't crazy about the spices in the marinade -- and a decade ago he wouldn't have liked them either! Nonetheless it was an overall success. The times, temperatures and materials are reproducible, but I can freewheel on the meat and marinade without fear of a dud. 120F in the water bath for about 4 hours, then idling as the water cools down, then a sear on the grill when the time comes. The meat is tender, not mealy, not tough.

20220712_220301-1.jpg

Yes, I know there's some redundancy in these collages. I hope you enjoy the images anyway.

• Like 9
  • Delicious 4

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Arctic char, thick fillet, full blast in the APO, 8 minutes exactly, no cheating.  Thermapen ONE registered 55C.  French fries, as in hot, hot fat.  Lemon and coleslaw.  One of the finest meals I have had in some while.  I always enjoy arctic char but tonight's was exceptionally well prepared.

Rum and methode rotuts, which may explain no photograph.  Bowl of first of season Ranier cherries, which need no explanation.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

9 hours ago, Honkman said:

Spaghetti alla Nerano - Interesting variation from CI whereas instead of deep frying the zucchini you “cook” them in the microwave for 12 minutes (to evaporate some water) and afterwards sear them in a pan to get a similar result as deep-frying but without handling large amounts of oil. Otherwise you make the creamy sauce using pasta water, butter, basil, provolone and parmesan.

I was debating making this for dinner tomorrow night as I have a bunch of squash to use up.  Do you recommend it?  How was the provolone in it?  I was wondering if it might overpower the squash.

Last night, we had lots of different vegetables to use up, but in small quantities, so I made vegetable lo mein.  It has napa cabbage, shiitake mushrooms, bell peppers, green garlic, garlic scapes, broccolini, carrots, cilantro and chiles.  My sister made the "no crab" rangoons to go with it.  The filing is just cream cheese, shallots, chives, and sriracha.  I think my nephew ate 15 of them.

1802216584_veggielomein2.thumb.jpg.ff46b5ec149665293c9c00438b90fd3d.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 3

Just as we were packing to drive to the country, a friend dropped by with his handmade chestnut pappardelle.    I asked him how he would dress it and he suggested an artichoke sauce.   

Badly framed and poorly photographed, but delicious.    I cut some jarred artichoke bruschetta with a bit of chicken broth, topped with pecorino.

1173251079_ScreenShot2022-07-13at6_50_39AM.thumb.png.d68420678fb2c43f978f319f95b3914c.png

2068258927_ScreenShot2022-07-13at6_55_23AM.thumb.png.ef8bbb656b353b2a1ce0565f36b77bb4.png

(FWIW,  this stuff is a super emergency hors d'oeuvre topping when time or energy is short.)

• Like 10
  • Delicious 4

eGullet member #80.

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

image.thumb.jpeg.937c087fc14a1eae856c201f93e5fc0d.jpeg

Beef (grass-fed flank) with vegetables (onion,carrot, celery, mushroooms) - "Szechuan style."  Jasmine rice.

what is "Szechuan style"?

ETA - let me rephrase that... I know what my Szechuan style is - what's yours?

Edited by KennethT (log)
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, KennethT said:

what is "Szechuan style"?

ETA - let me rephrase that... I know what my Szechuan style is - what's yours?

Pretty classic marinade for the beef - Shaoxing, soy, dark soy, potato starch.  Cooked briefly and removed.

Ginger, garlic, Szechuan crushed red pepper, scallions, Szeuchan bean paste - into the oil. Vegetables into the wok. Sauce was stock, soy, vinegar, Shaoxing, a little sugar. Covered for a minute to cook the veg.  Beef added back. A little slurry to thicken.

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

I might add - the Szechuan products used (bean paste, red pepper, vinegar) all from Mala Grocery. Stock - homemade.

no szechuan peppercorns?  No dou chi (fermented black beans)?  Also, I get pickled chillies from the Hong Kong market on Grand St. - mince fine and add with the garlic/ginger, etc... I find they make a huge difference.

35 minutes ago, KennethT said:

no szechuan peppercorns?  No dou chi (fermented black beans)?  Also, I get pickled chillies from the Hong Kong market on Grand St. - mince fine and add with the garlic/ginger, etc... I find they make a huge difference.

Oh yeah - I forgot! Szeuchan peppercorns at the end. And this is the bean paste...

image.thumb.png.f584c59761b4982d0e63ed1b9f2e8bb9.png

No fermented black beans in this dish - I tried to limit the amount of sodium in this dish...my BP is annoying enough.  It's a Fuschia-ish like recipe.

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

3 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

was debating making this for dinner tomorrow night as I have a bunch of squash to use up.  Do you recommend it?  How was the provolone in it?  I was wondering if it might overpower the squash.

It is not a very bold dish and it is important to get a good sear (or deep fry) on the zucchini but overall we really liked it. The provolone we had was quite mild and so in the mixture with the parmesan wasn’t too overpowering

• Like 1