• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2022

liuzhou

50 minutes ago, TicTac said:

He will convert you; forever.

I am of the opinion that as far as food tastes go it is easier to persuade an atheist to join a contemplative order; forever. :laugh:

• Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

3 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I am of the opinion that as far as food tastes go it is easier to persuade an atheist to join a contemplative order; forever. :laugh:

😆

You would love Dario, Anna.  His passion and love for beef is palpable and he is a true joy to be around.  He would convert you - forever and a day; and you will thank him for it as well 😛

4 minutes ago, TicTac said:

😆

You would love Dario, Anna.  His passion and love for beef is palpable and he is a true joy to be around.  He would convert you - forever and a day; and you will thank him for it as well 😛

I need no converting!  I love beef and I love pork and many other animal proteins. But I dislike many other things. People who think they can convert me are just WRONG.  

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

46 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I need no converting!  I love beef and I love pork and many other animal proteins. But I dislike many other things. People who think they can convert me are just WRONG.  

You want rabbit ... you want rabbit ... you want rabbit ...

200.gif.b1cdb7ca958f71bdb332b58b269cb671.gif

• Haha 1

@heidih – Yep, I’m still using the Splenda for the cucumbers.  We can’t tell the difference and Mr. Kim prefers them to be sugar-free.

@gfweb – your scallops are gorgeous.  So snowy white! 

@Shelby – thank you for the pork roast answer.  So one more thing – how do you flavor it?  Meaning when and with what?  I assume you’re using a pork loin roast?  I SV a loin roast at 138F for 2 1/2 hours and then sear the outside.  Should I change that for your results?  Thank you!!!

@SusieQ – lovely looking pork.  Like you, I need to cook brocollini a little more.  I mostly like my vegetables to be tender.  Crisp is for raw vegetables. 

I have to confess (and it will be no surprise to anyone who has known me for a long time) that I love most things in the meat/poultry/fish arena.  I love most fish and shellfish and bivalves.  I love all the poultry I’ve ever had, even turkey.  I adore pork in all its forms – BBQ, roast, bacon, sausage, ham, etc.  I also love beef – steaks are good, but what I really love is a crispy edged smashed on a griddle burger, a fall apart pot roast, rare roast beef with Yorkies & gravy, and short ribs. 

Having said all of that, I had the strongest and most “not me” craving this afternoon.  I unashamedly confess my trashy food forays here.  So no one can say they’ve ever seen this from me:

1-IMG_9938.jpg.b3174aac17f43a59d9e9117c2bfc6e4a.jpg 

That would be a Burger King Whopper with double cheese and an order of their horrible onion rings.  I have no explanation for this.  I NEVER want a Whopper.  I sometimes want their chicken sandwich, I occasionally crave a Big Mac from McDonald’s.  The Whopper is an aberration.  If I were 30 years younger, I’d swear I must be pregnant 😄

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2
  • Haha 5

22 hours ago, Kerala said:

Guanciale is readily available online, for half the price at the bricks and mortar place locally. What would you people do?

Obviously a pasta dish.  ie Carbonara

• Haha 1

Its good to have Morels

4 hours ago, Duvel said:

You want rabbit ... you want rabbit ... you want rabbit ...

200.gif.b1cdb7ca958f71bdb332b58b269cb671.gif

Love rabbit! Uncle was a manager on a big estate in Lincolnshire!  Weaned on rabbit. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

All kidding aside, when I first started making Caesar salads, I had an old paperback, either Julia's or Jim's (basically, the same person almost), and it was the first time I'd learned of a coddled egg. ONE MINUTE EXACTLY! I wish I could find the book - it may have disintegrated like a few of my older, heavily used cookbooks.

And I wish I could send back all the bad restaurant Caesar salads I've had; we actually had a good one a couple of weeks ago, but had it not been, I would have screamed - because it was $21!!

• Sad 4

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

22 minutes ago, weinoo said:

And I wish I could send back all the bad restaurant Caesar salads

Try ordering one in Costa Rica where they have absolutely no idea what a Caesar salad is but they have to put it on their menu. I have been served some of the worst abominations and finally just gave up. Probably one of the worst was made with cabbage, bacon, and a creamy tarragon dressing.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, heidih said:

Is that a single crouton off to the side?  Nice looking lettuce.

Thanks.  That's where it landed.

I had a leftover baguette with my omelet for lunch.  The bread I didn't finish I cubed and made croutons for the salad.

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

My sister went to the farmer's market on her lunch break and brought home some sole.  Sole roll ups in coconut, lime, lemongrass and ginger broth with carrots and summer squash, chopped peanuts, cilantro and the last of the chive flowers from my CSA box.

flounder3.thumb.jpg.76a209114a2a03ee9c89e397474e4151.jpg

Edited by liamsaunt (log)
  • Like 13
  • Delicious 4

Forgot to take photos last night, but it was a veggie dinner — corn, crowder peas, okra, zucchini fritters, cucumbers in sour cream sauce. All either from my garden or the farmer’s market.

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

@Kim ShookRonnie cold smoked that roast @ 170F for 4 hours.  Then I SV'd it @ 135F for 2 1/2 hours.  We use a long knife to slice it thin and either warm up the slices in BBQ sauce on the stove or serve the sauce on the side to spread on the sandwich.  Depends on how lazy I'm feeling lol.

Found yet another pack of doves in the freezer.  I swear they are reproducing in there.  Did the usual stuff with jalapeños and onions, wrapped in bacon and roasted.  Potatoes and @Jaymessquash from the garden.

thumbnail_IMG_2605.jpg.3b110d671b1774ba7dcb8430cb495e23.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2606.jpg.aeec2bacfef12f82d77ac46a191e116d.jpg

Last night the usual salad

thumbnail_IMG_2617.jpg.23dea974b419b746988f631ae350dacd.jpg

And a shrimp arrabbiata of sorts.

thumbnail_IMG_2618.jpg.6944f9a4b247aef7a10db4f47843bcab.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2619.jpg.cd7c78cc997d4c36f2fca02deb508ef2.jpg

Best part was more homemade ice cream and mulberry syrup that I made from anther pick that Ronnie did.

thumbnail_IMG_2620.jpg.106ed03cabfdb1afbc51a30501faac88.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 4