• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2022

liuzhou

18 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

when you SV the pork, is it like BBQ or more like a roast pork sandwich?  Must be time for pork to be on sale – Mr. Kim got butts for $.99/lb. at Kroger last week.  And I love “French” salad dressing – only one in my house that does.

It's more like a roast pork sandwich.  The meat is sliced, not shredded or pulled.  I love French too--and Dorothy Lynch!

Made creamed peas and new potatoes with taters from the garden.  OH so good.  Also at the first squash along with some fried chicken

thumbnail_IMG_2584.jpg.2e9c8ad445baa2b9f0cf4b66ff130217.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2597.jpg.3086718d6056ec4a5f013091b07bc209.jpg

Fedex screwed up and didn't deliver my Misfits box until yesterday afternoon.  Should have been Friday.  Everything inside was very warm so I quickly made a fruit salad out of the grapes, blackberries and blueberries that I had ordered.  

thumbnail_IMG_2600.jpg.9a33156080cac561be10dcb5e521c8b6.jpg

To go with I made Greek chicken gyros.  First time.  We really liked them.  Tzatziki sauce with dill and cucumbers from the garden.  Garden tomatoes and onions too.

thumbnail_IMG_2601.jpg.cb7e8767d39861e06b8e98644734b1d1.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2602.jpg.9f5b4ed22f64d7875fbe83f9cc536d58.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2603.jpg.f9c3adcabadada842feb91ca57ab6d65.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 4

36 minutes ago, Smithy said:

My darling, although he is my darling, doesn't believe it - or at least, doesn't want to. He looks at price.

Sneak some of this into the house...just don't tell...

image.thumb.png.48332e544d95b87df4cac0d1d48943ee.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

13 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Interesting. I too, prefer pork to beef every time. I've never understood the fascination with steak and I have had them in MIchelin restaurants.

Yes, prefer all the other proteins. Pork, lamb, seafood, duck, chicken, snails, hamster, snake. Camel ain't bad!

The only cattle-related thing I regularly eat is yogurt.

Been disappointed by beef for past 20 years even at high-end places.  We've even switched our burgers to ground pork--makes an exceptional kimchi burger, our fave.  When we dine out we often get octopus grilled over real wood charcoal (pulpo al carbón)...tastes exactly like the fatty end slice of steak.  

grilled pulpo.jpg

grilled pulpo tango.jpg

• Like 9

19 minutes ago, gulfporter said:

When we dine out we often get octopus grilled over real wood charcoal (pulpo al carbón)..

I know a certain someone here who will wholeheartedly agree with your choice 🤗

• Haha 2

I too have mostly given up beef. Part of it is it's a very individual, perhaps, small then, way to help the planet. The other part of it is that I just don't crave large hunks of any kind of meat. About twice a year I get a craving for a green chile burger made from ground beef (mostly that's about missing New Mexico) and we grill the patties outside. Mostly I prefer my meat in small doses, like part of a stir-fry with vegetables. And that includes chicken. Eating a big piece of chicken does not appeal either. I would say I rely on pork for flavoring dishes, and use ham broth frequently when I cook beans. I love Char Siu stir-fried with noodles or in a banh mi. I eat seafood, (except octopus) Asian cooked duck or duck soup, and I definitely eat dairy products from all sources, in moderation. When I see pix of rare steak taking up half a plate I don't wish I had some.

Edited by Katie Meadow (log)
  • Like 2

Grilled Chicken Vindaloo (boneless thighs) with raita and my own lime pickle. 

In the past few months I've converted 3 chicken recipes that are usually prepared by sauteing and simmering, into grilled chicken recipes with the sauce on the side.  Grilled chicken makes them more of a summer dish.  Previous meals were Jerk Chicken and Red Curry Chicken.  I make the sauces with less liquid and use stick blender to puree.  Use 1/4 of mixture as the marinade and the rest I boil down and serve on the side.  

vindaloo.jpg

• Like 12

54 minutes ago, Kerala said:

☝️Amatriciana sauce. I'm having problems with my posts.

Better than having problems with your dinner...

Last night I craved guacamole with Rancho Gordo whipple beans, fresh salsa, and tortilla chips.  Easy enough I thought.  But Shoprite had no cilantro (two days in a row).  Can't make salsa without cilantro.  Nor did Shoprite have the jarred salsa that I like, Green Mountain Gringo.  I picked up a container of Shoprite store brand salsa.  How bad could it be?

Many Shoprite store brand products are quite good.  This salsa was not.  Tasteless expensive chopped tomatoes with a few gray flecks.  I minced up a serrano pepper and a bit of red onion.  They did not compensate for the tomatoes.  The salsa ingredients listed cilantro, though if it were there my tastebuds could not tell.

The avocado was beautiful.  Sadly I added too much lime juice making the guacamole.  Who knew there was such a thing as too much lime juice?  But at least I had sour cream for the tortilla chips!  Container of sour cream was moldy.  Beans were delicious.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 7

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

image.thumb.jpeg.0ec9b68a816a913f462a22e40cd67d24.jpeg

I'm no good at editing photos. With regard to recent pork/beef discussion: Rarely can I afford beef anymore. This pork steak was yummy, but then I cook with lots of garlic. 😄 My first time cooking broccolini. I boiled it for a few minutes then stir-fried it with some chopped shallots. Tasty but I didn't cook it long enough. 

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1

Pizza & Movie night …

While the rest of the family was enjoying the (moderately cool) insides of the house, the cook had to fire up the Ooni at 30 oC and wait patiently until it reached suitable temperatures, only equipped with a refreshing beverage.

47A11087-1D88-497A-ADE5-51382ED07FA9.thumb.jpeg.8627401b79055cf49d318369abf75594.jpeg

6B85B6B9-2036-4EB4-9F1A-395E0A04B92F.thumb.jpeg.9de5ecc5127db84cad5ae472f32c903d.jpeg

Tonight selection:

Salami & mushrooms (who knew ?)

C5C3BEC0-FD3A-4964-BB6E-6642B17B05C4.thumb.jpeg.95fea03ce5e4b913f12abeab61fcbaad.jpeg

Grilled eggplant and sweet ham

010B476B-7188-4348-AB98-EF2AA08A6F21.thumb.jpeg.31e229d0df6cae15f37f450f22ebd299.jpeg

Half salami & Gorgonzola (and one mushroom, sliced), the other half capers, olives & anchovies

2A92AEDE-8D42-4F1C-B598-4AE6794516AB.thumb.jpeg.19a04af58c13e0bbeed7123a6ad08949.jpeg

Salami & Gorgonzola is Umami Central

37FEFBF4-A30C-4079-B63E-BE25824F9C15.thumb.jpeg.afac2931452f9c7a667c3db2e3e27eb3.jpeg

All enjoyed with Chickenhare and the Hamster of Darkness … 😜

• Like 14
  • Delicious 2

8A1E65E5-162B-4841-A550-6C0FC2EAF40B.thumb.jpeg.475c07be57dc19e0589adc98a2b4362f.jpeg

Summer veggie medley, with merguez sausage cooked with new potatoes. Corn, tomatoes and okra from the Farmers Market. Squash from my garden.

• Like 9
  • Delicious 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On 6/26/2022 at 6:50 AM, liuzhou said:

Nah. I've eaten top grade beef and pork and still been unimpressed by the beef..

I will wade into this one (albeit late to the party).  In my eyes there is no comparison to a 8-12 week aged piece of beautifully raised local 'organic' beef - the amount of flavour from the meat alone is unreal.

Pork cannot compete with that!

Go have a meal at my buddy's Cecchini's place.  He will convert you; forever.

Edited by TicTac (log)

Last night's dinner was Mee Goring (Indonesian Noodles) from America's Test Kitchen.   I don't usually cook with tofu but the recipe sounded so good I had to try it out.  Excellent!  I will put this into my rotation.

SFS_Mee_Goreng_023_sshkus

• Like 10
  • Delicious 2