• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2022

liuzhou

29 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Always always for me 142.5F for 6 hours after the breast is cold smoked.  

I do cold smoked too just 145 x 3-4 hours.

Right, nothing wrong with your SV settings.  Odd that it came out tough.  Any chance that the cold smoke wasn't so cold?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, gfweb said:

I do cold smoked too just 145 x 3-4 hours.

Right, nothing wrong with your SV settings.  Odd that it came out tough.  Any chance that the cold smoke wasn't so cold?

After reading your question and asking Ronnie, we think that could be the reason.  It was HOT outside the day he smoked it.   

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, KennethT said:

What do you do for this mint sauce?  It looks liek chopped mint in oil, but it's hard to tell from the photo

@KennethT, a very simple fresh mint sauce.   I met a lovely woman when we moved to the Sault back in 1998, who became a good friend. 

Her husband Harry was a Thoracic SurgeonAnd let me tell you, I've  never seen anyone carve a leg of lamb like Harry. Great knife skills. 

Francis and Harry were both wonderful cooks and loved good wine.   Francis made a fresh mint sauce with honey and red wine vinegar.   Just mix a little honey with red wine vinegar and add fresh chopped mint.  

Any  time I want a mint sauce this is the one I make. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

54 minutes ago, mgaretz said:

An oddly-shaped but tasty sirloin, cooked SV then seared, served with steamed broccolini with butter.

sirloin-broc3.jpg.3eeb1484284b22a9fe826c2cc9a7c1a3.jpg

Oh why does broccolini need butter?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

30 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Oh why does broccolini need butter?

Why doesn't it?  😉

I could eat it without butter and I don't put a lot on.  Just adds a bit of extra flavor. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

We were out of town the 10th through the 15th.  It took me awhile to go through all the wonderful food that you all indulged in while I was absent. 

@Annie_H – salmon cakes!  An old favorite in both our families, but always made with canned salmon.  Once I tried making it with fresh salmon, I never looked back.  I still use the recipe sent to me by @suzilightning ❤️ 😟

@Norm Matthews – Tuffy Stone is from here (Richmond VA) and we have a couple of his restaurants.  His restaurants aren’t very impressive, but I know he’s won lots in competition (two very different worlds, I always think) and I’m interested to hear about his cookbook. 

@Ann_T – I’d love to know what you put into your brisket when you slow roast it.  And what the gravy consists of.  And I love the sound of your mint sauce.  Growing up, none of us were fans of mint jelly on lamb.  My mom always kept Crosse and Blackwell mint sauce in the fridge and yours sounds even better. 

@Shelby – as always, everything looks good (well, not the asparagus 😁), but the pork belly!!!  WOW!  I just want that top layer.  The crunchy fattiness is making me yearn!!!  And that PIE!  I have a nosy and stupid question, though.  You have a plate with pasta/sauce, bread AND salad on it.  Are they teency little servings or do you use ginormous plates?

@Duvel – gorgeous, juicy looking burgers!  And good Lord, that schnitzel restaurant.  I am definitely coming back as a German. 

I’m going to put together a little food report on our trip as soon as I can, so I don’t have a lot to post here.  On Thursday, we were still recovering from the driving and the heat in South Carolina, so I heated up some sausage gravy I had left for Jessica and added frozen biscuits and scrambled eggs:

1-IMG_9811.jpg.26d2b3721c904dc7f0f44d8f2600308e.jpg 

I thawed some berry mix and added fresh bananas:

1-IMG_9810.jpg.299961a2b03e80662bb96906eb1ce0eb.jpg 

It made a fine dinner! 

Saturday was tuna salad sandwiches, chippy-dip, and a salad:

1-IMG_9820.jpg.529c97ded8967efeb50f13ce17467df5.jpg 

1-IMG_9818.thumb.jpg.917f63ed9eafd7247493a69e74809d64.jpg

1-IMG_9819.thumb.jpg.558e90da736cb48d1ed402f557dbdaad.jpg

Yesterday, being Father’s Day, we took Mr. Kim out of town for the day.  On the way back no one felt like one felt like waiting for a table and sitting in a restaurant, so we got takeaway Italian.  Jessica got cheese ravioli in pesto (no picture) Mr. Kim and I started with salads and rolls:

1-IMG_9852.jpg.8bfadb6173751b407682744647ca5f8a.jpg 

I don’t know what Greek restaurants do to make their yeast rolls so amazing, but I’ve had them and loved them at so many places in my life.  There is some spice/herb that they use that is so subtle, but so unique.  Mr. Kim had his usual Chef Michael’s Favorite:

1-IMG_9853.jpg.3559d548f2c6e20e6a95faa942691add.jpg

Basically baked spaghetti with every meat they possess plus mushrooms, meat sauce, and mozzarella.  I did NOT get my usual Greek meal – I’ve been craving lasagna for a bit, so:

1-IMG_9860.jpg.0e912deae24093b3cfaa9349062987ac.jpg 

Taking it out of the container turned it into a bit of a mess, but it was very satisfying.

Dinner for me tonight was heated up leftovers from my brisket dip sandwich I had  yesterday.  I got a fresh baguette from Lidl today and put the innards on that:

1-IMG_9870.jpg.51f1cb9552ed8c9c9fc09ef27b0cf3a6.jpg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 3

9 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

We were out of town the 10th through the 15th.  It took me awhile to go through all the wonderful food that you all indulged in while I was absent. 

@Norm Matthews – Tuffy Stone is from here (Richmond VA) and we have a couple of his restaurants.  His restaurants aren’t very impressive, but I know he’s won lots in competition (two very different worlds, I always think) and I’m interested to hear about his cookbook. 

I had not heard of him before. I don't watch the program he is on but since Thermoworks recommended the book, I got it.  The recipes are different from the way I usually cook in the smoker and I want to try many to see if I want to add them to my list of recipes.  About competition BBQ contests, he says it is "one bite food" and you have one chance to step up the taste and get the attention of the judges and that it probably isn't something you'd want to eat as a whole meal.  To me, it seems that the BBQ restaurants around here, even the award winning ones have food designed to taste good to the largest number of diners.  

Tzatziki sauce with salmon? I'd never have thought of that. I'll have to give it a try.

• Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Where is everybody?  😀

Last night, pork stir fry for my niece and husband, and chicken stir fry for me and my sister.  The check on my husband's plate is the stuff my sister snuck on there because she said i gave her too much chicken 😂

2073006261_porkstirfry2.thumb.jpg.0555ac2fc8cde6f33a2c34e40a14ecbb.jpg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

On 6/21/2022 at 8:55 AM, Norm Matthews said:

I had not heard of him before. I don't watch the program he is on but since Thermoworks recommended the book, I got it.  The recipes are different from the way I usually cook in the smoker and I want to try many to see if I want to add them to my list of recipes.  About competition BBQ contests, he says it is "one bite food" and you have one chance to step up the taste and get the attention of the judges and that it probably isn't something you'd want to eat as a whole meal.  To me, it seems that the BBQ restaurants around here, even the award winning ones have food designed to taste good to the largest number of diners.  

RE: "one bite food".  Mr. Kim says the same thing and it makes perfect sense.  I agree with you that most BBQ restaurants that I've been to - especially the newer ones and the chains - cater to the average eater rather than the BBQ aficionado.  "Fall off the bone" ribs are the perfect example.  That phrase is describing overcooked and probably soggy meat.  

@Smithy – definitely try the tzatziki with salmon.  My mom used to do that and in summer especially it is so good. 

@Duvel – your “lazy” sandwich sounds fantastic!

Mr. Kim was at a baseball game, so Jessica and I were on our own for dinner last night.  She requested a veritable buffet from one old favorite and one new Middle Eastern place.  From the old favorite:

1-IMG_9875.jpg.d45d2c3acf284f8011ec62e26e0d91f9.jpg 

Hummus, tzatziki, and orzo salad.  He got us to taste the cabbage roll, which neither of us had ever had:

1-IMG_9878.jpg.1b3b6903f4a2f5878552727c995251df.jpg 

Both of us liked it.  We even got one for Mr. Kim to taste.

The folks at the new place (Nineveh) are Iraqis, so some of the names are different, but the foods are mostly recognizable to me.  We got some of the best falafel I’ve ever had with some really good samoon (pocket bread):

1-IMG_9876.jpg.15f40f243cfedc650049590814868fb9.jpg 

We actually watched them scoop and fry our order.  We also ordered a beef & lamb shawarma:

1-IMG_9877.jpg.c920efbbed95d7390c36e5b79f51cab0.jpg

Stuffed with lettuce, tomato, cucumber, and pickled turnip (another “never had” and it was really good) and sauced with tahini and something they called “steak sauce”. 

• Like 12
  • Delicious 2

I did another recipe from the Cool Smoke cookbook.  This one was a grilled steak. It was done like always but then it was splashed with butter and bacon cooked together to render the fat in the bacon.  Then there was a sprinkle of reduced balsamic vinegar.  I poured the butter off the bacon then crisped the bacon in the skillet and added it to the twice baked potatoes.

20220622_154352-1.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 3

Late lunch/Early dinner.
951533334_SmokedWingsJune22nd2022.thumb.jpg.ecd5efc56f2fcf8b9a19be6fbe74b21d.jpg
Decided to smoke chicken wings on the gas grill using two pellet smoking tubes, but instead of pellets I used hickory wood chips.
Wood chips are so much better than pellets.
Nice flavour and colour. 
1577575924_SmokedWingsJune22nd20222.thumb.jpg.46ac0b74d2ba19bc5d7396a0f4227ea6.jpg
Really happy with the way they turned out.
1848130321_SmokedWingsJune22nd20221.thumb.jpg.de8079f1fd81f9814d1945b3bfb4ea1f.jpg
Served with roasted potatoes. There was also a salad but no pics.
  • Like 13
  • Delicious 4

Roasted cauliflower, roasted broccoli, bacon, fried potato and macerated strawberry salad with light honey vinaigrette.  Sounds weird perhaps but tasted nice.

20220622_182743.thumb.jpg.f45cb2554f1d0eaf4fb2bb2dea2c5188.jpg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 3

10 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Roasted cauliflower, roasted broccoli, bacon, fried potato and macerated strawberry salad with light honey vinaigrette.  Sounds weird perhaps but tasted nice.

20220622_182743.thumb.jpg.f45cb2554f1d0eaf4fb2bb2dea2c5188.jpg

Looks like just a bit of meat on there?

• Haha 2