• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2022

liuzhou

51 minutes ago, heidih said:

To me it tastes more like gai lan which I love over broccoli. Though thinner so different texture but if you get to an Asian market i'd give it a go.

Broccolini is Japanese but I would not go looking for it in an Asian market.  The name broccolini is trademarked, so the same vegetable may be available under a different name, such as "baby broccoli".

It might be my favorite vegetable.  Whatever else, undeniably broccolini is not cauliflower nor kale.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

21 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Broccolini is Japanese but I would not go looking for it in an Asian market.  The name broccolini is trademarked, so the same vegetable may be available under a different name, such as "baby broccoli".

It might be my favorite vegetable.  Whatever else, undeniably broccolini is not cauliflower nor kale.

I was suggesting she try gai lan not the broccolini. As usual I talk too much at times and at others don't explain well ;) 

• Haha 3

33 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Definitely one of my favourites. Not over easy to find around here. As you note, it was developed in Japan and is a hybrid of broccoli and gai lan. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

44 minutes ago, heidih said:

I was suggesting she try gai lan not the broccolini. As usual I talk too much at times and at others don't explain well ;) 

That's good information, thanks Heidih. There is a large Asian and South East Asian population in our township and outlying areas, and we are in a frming belt but it also a long standing meat and potatoes kind of place. A T&T supermarket opened here recently which I hope to visit, but even after two weeks of being open, there are line-ups to get in and guys directing parking. I'm waiting until things calm down.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

That's good information, thanks Heidih. There is a large Asian and South East Asian population in our township and outlying areas, and we are in a frming belt but it also a long standing meat and potatoes kind of place. A T&T supermarket opened here recently which I hope to visit, but even after two weeks of being open, there are line-ups to get in and guys directing parking. I'm waiting until things calm down.

Wow that is great local enthusiasm. My first gai lan was in a yum cha place in Sydney  - I think just steamed or boiled with an oyster sauce and soy drizzle. Been addicted since.

1 hour ago, heidih said:

I'm sorry.

On 6/11/2022 at 7:41 AM, liamsaunt said:

Cauliflower shawarma.  We decided at dinner that making both rice and flatbread was too much food.  Based at what was left on everyone's plates, next time I will skip the rice.

1774894945_cauliflowershawarma.thumb.jpg.88c625280690235ed295e2406518550a.jpg

Lovely plate, as usual. Was this by any chance Melissa Clark's Cauliflower Shawarma with Spicy Tahini, from the New York Times? I've made it several times and we've always been delighted. If not the same, maybe you can point me to what you did? I might like it even better!

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I made a batch of dough this morning for baguettes and enough for pizza.
1000g flour, 4g yeast, 27g of salt at 63% hydration.
Dough was given an 8 hour fermentation at room temperature.
Divided the dough into three balls of various sizes for pizza and shaped two baguettes from the remaining dough.

Matt likes full size pizzas so one ball was 450g, one for Moe was 250g and the third ball was slightly smaller.
Matt made his Greek Potato Pizza and baked it in the oven at 550°F on the stone.
338995201_PineappleandProsciuttoPizzaJune14th20221.thumb.jpg.c7063eb0d858eadba9b6cebd80a6966c.jpg
As an act of LOVE, I made Moe a fresh pineapple and prosciutto pizza.
163750801_PineappleandProsciuttoPizzaJune14th2022.thumb.jpg.e70c1070d7d7070dd6dc961ec9e21081.jpg
Not something I will eat, but he actually likes the combination.
1209828667_PepperoniandMushroomMiniPizzaJune14th20223.thumb.jpg.502b72146953d1dd1ed06a651fd00ad7.jpg
And a smaller pepperoni and mushroom pizza for me. Both baked in the Ooni.
553673286_PepperoniandMushroomMiniPizzaJune14th2022.thumb.jpg.444dac57ed73fa57d2955399e4188369.jpg
The pizza crust was great considering it was a same day dough.

• Like 17
  • Delicious 3

11 hours ago, Smithy said:

Lovely plate, as usual. Was this by any chance Melissa Clark's Cauliflower Shawarma with Spicy Tahini, from the New York Times? I've made it several times and we've always been delighted. If not the same, maybe you can point me to what you did? I might like it even better!

Yes indeed!  We really like it.  I made a large batch of the spicy tahini this time and stuck it in the fridge for future dinners.  My husband did comment that he would especially like it if I would make chicken shawarma to go with it, so I might try that next time.

Last night, miso salmon noodle bowl with bok choy, scallions, shiitake mushrooms, oyster mushrooms, and chive flowers.  All the veggies were from this week's CSA box.

1518173099_misosalmon.thumb.jpg.1a06c1cf9a6fd6d96ae6f2fa33b2e598.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

2 hours ago, weinoo said:

You really have to LOVE someone to do this!! 😂

The good news is, although he really enjoyed his pineapple pizza, he also had a slice of mine and when asked

which he preferred, the "normal" pizza won out.   Won't be baking any more pineapple pizzas. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

25 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

Yes indeed!  We really like it.  I made a large batch of the spicy tahini this time and stuck it in the fridge for future dinners.  My husband did comment that he would especially like it if I would make chicken shawarma to go with it, so I might try that next time.

Last night, miso salmon noodle bowl with bok choy, scallions, shiitake mushrooms, oyster mushrooms, and chive flowers.  All the veggies were from this week's CSA box.

1518173099_misosalmon.thumb.jpg.1a06c1cf9a6fd6d96ae6f2fa33b2e598.jpg

That salmon noodle bowl is beautiful!

Yes to the cauliflower shawarma recipe being good. It's quite compatible with chicken; I cooked thighs here by doubling the spices and cooking the thighs with the vegetables on a single sheet pan.

For those interested, the recipe is also provided by the Seattle Times, not behind a paywall. Here it is!

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

12 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

The good news is, although he really enjoyed his pineapple pizza, he also had a slice of mine and when asked

which he preferred, the "normal" pizza won out.   Won't be baking any more pineapple pizzas. 

Yesterday we were treated to Domino's at work.  Sorry, no pictures.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, lindag said:

I'll have to side with Moe.

At the risk of having a pie thrown at me, I'm on team Moe. However I'm very fussy about the fruit: it can't be too ripe or too sweet.  And if it's canned fuggetaboutit.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

At the risk of having a pie thrown at me, I'm on team Moe. However I'm very fussy about the fruit: it can't be too ripe or too sweet.  And if it's canned fuggetaboutit.

@Katie Meadow, you probably would have liked this one then. It was fresh pineapple, and it wasn't overly ripe or too sweet.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lindag said:

Was there any pineapple involved? 

No.  Could only have been an improvement over the bell peppers.  And the Domino's delivery was an hour late.

• Confused 1

Dinner, the last three nights, has been hotdogs.  Does that make me a bad person?  Does it matter they were Nathan's Angus?

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Dinner, the last three nights, has been hotdogs.  Does that make me a bad person?  Does it matter they were Nathan's Angus?

Nope! I’m a bit jealous! I just bought hotdogs and tend to “pan fry” them with some water but I’m starting to really miss grilled foods! 

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

It depends …

Now, if there would be a picture of the progress of your ongoing hot dog hollapalooza (including, but not limited to the appropriate Mai Tai pairings), I would gladly take time to assess both of your burning questions …

🤞

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I recently found Nathan's natural casing hot dogs - what could be bad?  I also like the hot dogs from Brooklyn Hot Dog Company.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

6 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Does that make me a bad person

4 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

Nope! I’m a bit jealous.

If that makes you a bad person I must be horrid because I am terribly jealous. The hot dogs that we get down here are no texture and no taste. They are terrible. I once saw a package of 8 Hebrew National hot dogs and they were $16. Right now, I would give my first born for a package of good hot dogs. That may sound terrible but you don't know my first born. It would be a great trade.

• Haha 3