• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2022

liuzhou

5 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I love one of those tarts for any meal!

and in my mind I can hear, feel, and taste the first bite crunch of that puff oasty. Beautiful.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Dejah said:

Interesting with the rhubarb. It is just coming in season. Was the salmon and rhubarb grilled in foil? Please give more info on the after texture.

I just had a big rhubarb harvest. And the next few weekends. I use it like we sometimes put onions and herbs under and in a chicken cavity. For moisture and flavor. That is just a quick parchment lined foil 'tray'. My designated smoker sheet pans are too big for this meal. I often cover for longer cooks but salmon does not need much time so I left it uncovered but pulled it snug to the sides of the salmon so the rhubarb steamed. Cooks creamy and tart. Could be palm sugared or a miso glaze but did not have a full pantry/fridge with me. 

Burger night. Iceberg wedge with a three cheese spicy dressing. Kenji potatoes. Tried a sweet potato recipe but overcooked them---went in a batch of pup food. 

IMG_3339.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 3

shrimp ceviche --  Wild caught white/ lime/ lemon / Mandurian/ "juices " /  now chopped celery/ cucumber/ red pepper/ red onion/ cilantro/ Ketsup/ and yellow mustard/  Jalapeno

52129348806_da05e40250_z.jpg

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

Its good to have Morels

1 hour ago, Paul Bacino said:

shrimp ceviche --  Wild caught white/ lime/ lemon / Mandurian/ "juices " /  now chopped celery/ cucumber/ red pepper/ red onion/ cilantro/ Ketsup/ and yellow mustard/  Jalapeno

52129348806_da05e40250_z.jpg

The ketchup reminds me more of the Mexican seafood Coctel. Is the yellow mustard your twist or have you had it that way before?

1 hour ago, heidih said:

The ketchup reminds me more of the Mexican seafood Coctel. Is the yellow mustard your twist or have you had it that way before?

I play soccer with a bunch of Ecuadorian individuals/  they use it!!  In modest quantities 

https://www.chefspencil.com/recipe/ecuadorian-ceviche/

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)

Its good to have Morels

14 minutes ago, heidih said:

gotta love a site where you learn spethong new every day. Thanks!

Crazy,  we have international food days with my players/  Bolivian/ Peruvian/ Salvadorian/ Mexican/ Ecuadorian..  msotly I play with Central American football players but also Brits, germans and Russians 

• Like 1

Its good to have Morels

@Shelby – again with the fantastic radishes!  And everything else.  I’m now craving lasagna.  And your fried chicken gravy looks luscious.  And those strawberries ❤️!!!

@Ann_T – It all looks delicious, as always.  But your battered fish is positively stellar!  And would you be terribly affronted if I surreptitiously removed the asparagus from the goat cheese tarts?  Because I really would love one of those 😁!

Saturday night we tried an Italian restaurant that I’ve been wanting to go to across the river.  It’s called Frank’s.  Jessica and I had excellent Caesar salads:

1-IMG_9540.jpg.ec5d10dd79f606fceec13e3aa4a5e8dc.jpg 

Mr. Kim had an ok Greek:

1-IMG_9541.jpg.5f52c983eb8684108efd8f3bcb910615.jpg 

We shared the burrato appetizer:

1-IMG_9542.jpg.feb7ab6e8d827e57b8b6ad168bdbf9df.jpg 

The wonderful thing about this was the fact that the restaurant owner was born in Italy, so has an authenticity that informs his recipes and food choices.  But he is Richmond enough that that gooey, balsamic drizzled cheese ball is sitting atop and perfectly prepared FRIED GREEN TOMATO!  It was genius!!!

1-IMG_9543.jpg.14dfa02fe40b27f0a24656077c265f8c.jpg 

Mr. Kim had his usual baked spaghetti:

1-IMG_9544.jpg.9dde470e83898a73c2721e6aab5b6b34.jpg 

Which tasted very good but had a disappointing amount of watery residue.  And that didn’t develop after sitting awhile – someone let it come out of the kitchen that way. 

Jessica had one of the specials – lobster ravioli with shrimp in a creamy tomato sauce:

1-IMG_9545.jpg.43a85ea4d70b9f71fc578382f3a0d1da.jpg 

This was delicious. 

I had the meat filled cannelloni:

1-IMG_9547.jpg.7a682c59514ca7f2691b66bbd90ec634.jpg 

Which always makes me think of David Ross who was kind enough to type out the entire Time-Life recipe that he used for the pasta, sauce, and meat filling for me when I asked about it.  It is the only recipe I use now, and this was close.

All in all, though this was good, it was about on level with a nearby place called The Grapevine which is so much closer and run by Lebanese folks.  I rarely crave Italian, so when we go Mike gets Italian and I get Lebanese and we’re both happy.  Plus, the fact that the two best things we had were specials.

Sunday - this was supposed to be an afternoon snack, but ended up being supper:

1-IMG_9559.jpg.efad063f544e869018ddb0560405d630.jpg 

Last night:

1-IMG_9561.jpg.b6a49c5b4369968459e92131baafbf11.jpg 

Chicken Kiev, couscous, green beans, sweet potatoes, and collards.  The Kiev is frozen, but Barber is a good brand - the chicken is raw, and they use real butter.  And, yes, a bunch of other stuff that I can’t necessarily pronounce.  Honestly, if I waited until I made it from scratch to have Kiev, it just wouldn’t happen.  Kind of an odd combination of stuff, but we’re heading out of town on Friday morning for a few days and are trying to not shop and to use up what we have. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

@Kim Shook 

Ive used the Time-Life

Italian  ed. Waverly Root

Caneloni al Forno and Lasagna Rx

for years .  nothing better !

glad your cannelloni was close.  such a fine dish when made properly.

if I could get either dish locally that was close , Id put on 20 ( magnificent )

pounds.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, TicTac said:

One would deduce....

The Salmon! 

;)

@liamsaunt has a knack for turning fish into amazing looking patties. 

She has The Knack for turning anything into amazing looking food. BTY, @liamsaunt, welcome back. I've missed seeing your fantastic repertoire  of dishes everyday.

• Like 3

Anniversary meal. Falling on a weekday I just made our favorites. NewOrleans shell-on bbq shrimp and merguez. Over mixed grain--wheat berries, wild rice, caviar lentils. Hijiki/wakame/miso in the grain. Roasted roots and vegetables. Pea shoot, fennel, cucumber, feta, avocado, mango, herb salad. 

We usually both forget our anniversary, but I was seeking out soft shell crabs, lobster and oysters but too much going on to pull that off. (how do we forget 6.7.89). He did the math this morning---33 years. 

I'm just picky about fresh. Patient for prime seafood we will have soon. A weekend in the near future. 

I made a fresh furakaki but overkill and just used it on our lunches. 

IMG_3348.jpeg

Screen Shot 2022-06-08 at 10.59.39 AM.png

• Like 13
  • Delicious 2

@Annie_H so is the BBQ shrimp what I recall as shrimp swimming in spicy butter or grilled? I first read of the former years ago in Gooyrmet as the ideal luxury easy indulgent meal to reward yourself for completing your taxes

Since my squash plant is only making male flowers, I’m gonna eat them 😋. And Trader Joe’s falafel, that improved greatly if they are deep fried. They were terrible following the package directions. Also made tzatziki with Fage 5%. 

6BB128CC-0464-451B-BCE3-951AF1C2E7F7.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Delicious 1

"Minestrone with fennel, carrots, onion, garlic, tomatoes, broccoli, basil, parmesan and small pork meatballs (but without pasta)"

@Honkman I keep coming back to look at your soup.  Makes my mouth water. 

Started a batch of sourdough for pizza on Monday night. Left out on the counter overnight for a room temperature slow fermentation.
In the morning I divided it into two balls and it went into the fridge until around noon today.
710503662_PepperonimushroomandolivepizzaJune8th2022.thumb.jpg.49562856de316d4a026936046c616887.jpg
Taken out and left to warm up. Matt is making his own pizza and I made one for Moe and I, with pepperoni, mushrooms and olives, two kinds and baked it in the Ooni.
  • Like 14
  • Delicious 4

21 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

She has The Knack for turning anything into amazing looking food. BTY, @liamsaunt, welcome back. I've missed seeing your fantastic repertoire  of dishes everyday.

Thanks!  I was on vacation.  It turns out that three weeks of restaurant food is too much restaurant food for me.  I am not complaining but I am glad to be home and eating my own food for a while.  

22 hours ago, gfweb said:

What is that green flecked thing. A sliced terrine?

The salmon. It is from the Andrea Nguyen cookbook The Banh Mi Handbook.  Here is a version from her website.  The version in her book adds fish sauce, and suggests cilantro instead of dill.  I also added lemongrass and some spicy chile.  

https://www.vietworldkitchen.com/blog/2007/08/salmon-cakes-wi.html

Last night, Indian spiced squash zoodles and chicken with herbed yogurt, mango, and naan 

1166351031_indianzoodlechicken.thumb.jpg.d9a9ab4984c6ffdf5ef97a62df0f14e6.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 3