• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2022

liuzhou

Buffalo burrata caprese. First tomato of the season, overripe and tasty. I put the filling of the burrata in a ring mold and topped it with micro herbs and roasted artichoke hearts. Then more herbs, oil, and flowers. Laid the skin of the burrata down and dolloped with creamy cheesy goodness. Topped with peeled fresh tomatoes and basil. Flooded the zone with Alziari EVOO before making it rain 30 year old balsamic vinegar and Maldon salt. Served with too much bread.

C4706499-CDC1-4142-900B-0DA86C8DD445.jpeg

Edited by btbyrd (log)
  • Like 16
  • Delicious 6

8 hours ago, KennethT said:

That's an amazing color on the chicken skin, and the chicken looks moist and succulent.  What do you do to get it that way?

@KennethT, nothing special.   Chicken was dried well and also drizzled with olive oil before going into a 475°F oven.   Basted once during roasting.

928960867_HalibutFishandChipsJune4th20221.thumb.jpg.cfcfb95d8397e9cdea1280231914ef81.jpg

Tonight's dinner.

1982279325_HalibutFishandChipsJune4th20222.thumb.jpg.2ecdc047029cf95a91c1d17a7287eb35.jpg

I promised Moe I would make him Halibut fish and chips.

• Like 11
  • Delicious 6

Wuhan style sesame noodles. Not sure how authentic it is, cause I based on English recipes, but it's the second time I'm making it, which means it's good.

There's chili oil, sesame paste, peanuts, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, anise, cassia, peppercorns, some MSG, black rice vinegar, pickled mustard root, scallions, spinach. Noodles are spaghetti cooked with baking soda.

Some seitan cooked quite well and marinated with same spices as the sauce.

Smashed cucumber salad.

PXL_20220604_112601276.thumb.jpg.b37fbcc1ef551cd11388d78f994de4ff.jpg

PXL_20220604_112632350.thumb.jpg.1836474cda9e011c4a2de7b6a378e82a.jpg

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 13
  • Delicious 5

~ Shai N.

15 hours ago, shain said:

Some seitan cooked quite well and marinated with same spices as the sauce.

You mean there is medium-rare seitan ?!

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, shain said:

Wuhan style sesame noodles. Not sure how authentic, it is, cause I based on English recpies, but it's the second time I'm making it, which means it's good.

I'm not sure either. I've passed through Wuhan many times on longer journeys, but only stayed there one night - in 1997 or 98. I guess I must have eaten something, but can't recall what. It certainly isn't the gastronomic capital of China or even in the top hundred!

The flavours and spices you mention are pretty much China-wide. You mention peppercorns. What kind of peppercorns? Sichuan?

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

3 hours ago, Duvel said:

You mean there is medium-rate seitan ?!

Ha, the reference did not occur to me 😆

In this case cooked well means more than necessary, so that it'll be tender. 

• Haha 1

~ Shai N.

10 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

You mention peppercorns. What kind of peppercorns? Sichuan?

Yes, red ones.

I also forgot to mention it included pickled mustard root and black rice vinegar. 

• Like 2

~ Shai N.

44 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Looks good, @Duvel. Help me understand the label a bit - "trocken vom Kalkstein" especially.

The two expressions are not directly related. “Trocken” means dry (though you know that) and “vom Kalkstein” means more or less “harvested from limestone”, so indicates the composition of the ground in the area of the Palatinate where the grapes for this wine were harvested. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Annie_H said:

Salmon on rhubarb, planked.

Interesting with the rhubarb. It is just coming in season. Was the salmon and rhubarb grilled in foil? Please give more info on the after texture.

Worked in the garden most of the day, hauling dirt, pots, plants. Was pretty beat and was really debating whether to go for A & W or cook supper.
I had baby pickerel fillets thawed, so opted for home-cooked meal:
Pan-fried Creole seasoned Panko coated fillets, sweet potato in pressure cooker, and stir-fried veg. Happy I cooked!

835575539_CreolPickerel7480.jpg.0e5145ce05cf7b7411befdceaf78e256.jpg

• Like 17
  • Delicious 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I had planned to make this last night for dinner but by the time I got home from work I didn't feel like making the puff pastry.
So I told Moe I would make it in the morning.
Made the puff pastry early and gave it an hour in the fridge.
803982401_PuffPastryAsparagusTartsJune6th2022.thumb.jpg.f31e65024c9be43d6199dddd8bca9ea5.jpg

Made individual Puff Pastry Asparagus and Goat Cheese tarts. 

2231722_PuffPastryAsparagusTartsJune6th20223.thumb.jpg.55f88fe566465b37e21203a744ff2857.jpg
So dinner for breakfast.
  • Like 16
  • Delicious 5