• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2022

liuzhou

It was chicken wings night.  They were cooked in the oven, but instead of tossing them in Buffalo sauce, I served it on the side with three other wing sauces.  One was a spicy Apicot glaze, one was Ranch dressing with some chopped pickled jalapenos stirred in and one was a bottled teriyaki wing glaze.  I got some BBQ sauce to try because it had the same name and Charlies old cat.  We also had kimchi and rice.

20220530_170311.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1

Oven-roasted brown mushrooms (with rosemary, thyme, smoked paprika) with a taleggio-infused bechamel sauce served with mashed potatoes (with parsley and tarragon) and baby arugula salad with an olive oil, lemon juice, mustard, agave nectar vinaigrette (the recipe was calling for chickweed and garden cress but both are impossible to get anywhere)

2D4A6C33-A9A4-41A2-9DA8-964081B2EDF4.thumb.jpeg.bfcb56c391b32ae12e133138ef396a66.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1

5 hours ago, Borgstrom said:

Some yakitori, asparabacon and yakionigiri (amongst other things)on the new grill for Memorial Day.

I do like onigiri on the grill; can you mention a little more about that grill?

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Recent Meaty ness from Memorial day

Rib and veal (  sous vide the veal )  then grilled all with just Sand P

52113943708_583987db22_z.jpg

52113942393_c3dbd41feb_z.jpg

52114147364_986c4ba121_z.jpg

To cook  later

52114156454_e2b6db026f_m.jpg

This was quite great

52113884166_9f453d5492_z.jpg

These steak dogs were awesome

52114126524_5be86dd980_m.jpg

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)
  • Like 10
  • Delicious 1

Its good to have Morels

On 5/29/2022 at 3:43 PM, rotuts said:

@Duvel 

very nice

vey pleased 

you've studiedYoutDrinks

Over Time

and have a very fine set of Racks

to continue your studies.

congratulations

At least buy him a drink before commenting on his rack....

• Haha 3

33 minutes ago, TicTac said:

If you are wishing, might as well upgrade to Kampachi ;)

The last time I looked at the Kanoyama's menu, it was actually a kampachi collar rather than hamachi.

45 minutes ago, KennethT said:

The last time I looked at the Kanoyama's menu, it was actually a kampachi collar rather than hamachi.

Especially if you get a nice big cut, and in turn, a larger portion of the belly - the fat and texture of the flesh I find on the kampachi to be superior.

1 hour ago, TicTac said:

If you are wishing, might as well upgrade to Kampachi ;)

For sushi I’d be 100% with you. For a broiled collar I’d go with the fattier Hamachi …

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 1

@Captain – I love that lamb shank meal!  Lovely yorkie!  Question regarding the shank – because I know you’re in Australia and we use different nomenclature from one another, was the shank cooked on an outside grill at a high temperature or was it cooked low and slow?  And was it smoked?  It is my favorite cut of lamb and Mr. Kim could do either, so I’d love to know what you’ve had success with. 

Mr. Kim smoked four butts on Saturday – two up top:

1-IMG_9504.jpg.bb7b41eed818b4e7204a9e44fc7dd3bd.jpg 

And two below:

1-IMG_9505.thumb.jpg.23e1c140a13b673363c8d1e423d9f0a3.jpg 

Therefore, dinner on Sunday was dogs and Mr. Kim’s BBQ.  I like mine chopped rather than just pulled:

1-IMG_9510.jpg.0d716a4cb90011987f71dadc74b6237d.jpg 

1-IMG_9511.jpg.e2920f34f1ab808f0d8fd3efbce47c0f.jpg

My dog was subsequently covered with lousy canned chili and good BBQ slaw (finely minced with vinegar, Dijon, olive oil, and a little bit of Dukes).  I really need to find a good recipe for hot dog chili.  I’m not really satisfied with the one I’ve used in the past. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Creamy gigante beans with lemon zest, olive oil, scallions, dill.

Salad of grilled artichoke, zucchini, onion, boiled potatoes, tomatoes, capers, olive oil, vinegar, fresh oregano.

Warm crisp bread. Ouzo.

PXL_20220521_181934327.thumb.jpg.8d83b748b36d393970bf00e201da95ae.jpg

PXL_20220521_180003395.thumb.jpg.ff804ce6920d05f56ec81b5de7ebc729.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1

~ Shai N.

4 hours ago, Duvel said:

For sushi I’d be 100% with you. For a broiled collar I’d go with the fattier Hamachi …

Just checked the receipt - this was Hamachi.

Actually, the online menu shows Kampachi Kama at a higher price than I was charged for the Hamachi, but I'm pretty sure they were out of that one.

Edited by weinoo (log)

Tasty Travails - My Blog

5 hours ago, Duvel said:

Do a side by side; for me at least, textural superiority of the Kampachi wins.  Interesting comment regarding the fat, I find it somewhat the opposite. 

IMG_6982.thumb.jpeg.570b16bab260b35948378df792cc4385.jpeg

Cumin beef with peppers.

Of course this was better than the photo I had to snap while there was still some in the serving bowl!

IMG_6984.thumb.jpeg.771c621025b618a89ae6ed5626b985ef.jpeg

Stir-fried asparagus and celery in oyster sauce.

• Like 11
  • Delicious 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

On 5/30/2022 at 4:17 PM, Norm Matthews said:

They were cooked in the oven, but instead of tossing them in Buffalo sauce, I served it on the side with three other wing sauces.

Great looking wings.   This is how I serve mine with the sauce on the side for dipping. Not a fan of wings that are tossed with the sauce. 

1524240235_RoastBeefonaBunMay31st2022.thumb.jpg.e59c8dd15ac2c8dd2b2cd7eafe00c517.jpg

Last night`s dinner. Sandwiches on homemade rounds baked on Monday.
Pulled roast beef out of the freezer. Vacuumed packed slices from a roast cooked last month. I need to do this more often. The meat tasted like it had just been roasted.
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

Smoked salmon pasta Alfredo, with additions: red bell pepper, ramps, shishito peppers, asparagus, parsley. The usual Alfredo components of butter, cream and parmesan. (It's been recently asserted here that the cream -- or is it the butter? -- doesn't actually belong, but this is the way I learned it from Lynne Rosetto Kasper's radio show.)

20220601_203805.jpg

Pepper and/or Danish smoked salt at the table. Could have used more sauce, but the flavors were good and well-balanced. 

Now, for a note about those shishito peppers: I've been reading about them here from the enablers. I spotted them in the store and decided to see what the fuss was about. I tried blistering half that package but cooked them to a crisp. Out they went. This finished dish has a handful of shishitos sliced, then sweated along with the red pepper and ramp heads before more ingredients were added. The raw shishitos tasted unfortunately like green bell peppers. That is not a compliment. The cooked shishitos blended in well enough that I can't say much about them. My question to the shishito aficionados is: what is special about them? 

• Like 11
  • Confused 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

8 hours ago, weinoo said:

Just checked the receipt - this was Hamachi.

Actually, the online menu shows Kampachi Kama at a higher price than I was charged for the Hamachi, but I'm pretty sure they were out of that one.

Love love love Hamachi collar.

• Like 2

On 5/27/2022 at 10:45 AM, Anna N said:

I can deal with those as long as you leave out the silk worms. 

I still shudder when I remember my grandfather's favourite dish: silk worms steamed in a savoury egg custard...😜

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com