• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2022

liuzhou

Pan sautéed Steelhead trout

Morel and King Trump mushrooms sautéed in butter 

Broccoli because you know, my mom always told me to have something green on my plate

Stupidly, I should have subbed asparagus for the broccoli and it would be the ultimate late spring on a plate meal.

7AE08328-A5A2-41E0-9EF4-938CD9EF9203.thumb.jpeg.813a98a408e8eb4709aa7dfb58b8a535.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 3

On 5/27/2022 at 4:06 PM, Kim Shook said:

@JoNorvelleWalker – Thanks for posting the link to the recipe.  I am definitely making that beef!  It looks so delicious that it mitigates the cooked carrots 😉!

@weinoo – nice roast potatoes.  I’m trying the same recipe tonight.  And that article IS long-winded!  But if mine come out as nice as yours, I won’t mind at all.

@Shelby – Good LORD!  So much good food!  I would be happy to sit down to any one of those meals.  And I truly covet those radishes and dare not let Mr. Kim see them after his radish-challenged garden last year.  I don’t know whether to be proud or apprehensive that he’s trying again this year 😁.  I’m madly in love with peonies and yours are gorgeous.  I give off some kind of bad plant vibe and the one beautiful, prolific one that was here when we moved in got more and more sparse and this year sent up one single blossom that lasted a couple of days and then all the petals dropped off 🙄

@Dejah – thank you!  And that Vinarterta sounds delicious!

We seem to be eating out or eating take out a lot lately.  Last night we were supposed to meet some friends for Vietnamese, but they had to cancel.  It was kind of last minute, so I didn’t have anything ready to cook.  We’ve all been craving fried chicken, so Mr. Kim did a Popeye’s run:

1-IMG_9488.jpg.1c7e50bd759ca78bc79704c389409885.jpg 

My plate with chicken, biscuit, slaw, mashed potatoes, and some fixed up Kraft:

1-IMG_9489.jpg.f7f2bda54ddea296ce01d3fae3be44d5.jpg

I can't wait.....FINALLY some Popeye's are popping up around where I live.    

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Captain said:

Sunday BBq lamb shank dinner.

Your meal looks quite amazing. I would never think of lamb shank as suitable to barbeque. How did it turn out in terms of doneness and tenderness?  

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

33 minutes ago, Captain said:

Sunday BBq lamb shank dinner.

IMG_20220529_171015.thumb.jpg.6209c763b0c0d877a77855dfad4412c7.jpg

I'd love to see the picture of your napkin afterwards.

• Haha 7

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

My chunky red sauce made with chicken Italian sausage instead of ground beef, served over rainbow farfalle (they called it farfalla - aka bowtie pasta) that my wife couldn't resist at Costco.  The coloring in the noodles did not add to the flavor.

red-sauce-bowtie.jpg.865826e95c46bda7eecbabf7fc5648d1.jpg 

• Like 11

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

On 5/22/2022 at 12:15 AM, Tropicalsenior said:

What green stuff? Everything else looks wonderful but the broccoli rabe looks like you cremated it.

Tonight I took one for the team.  I pulled the broccoli rabe five minutes short at fifteen minutes.  To my taste the recipe's injunction to roast for twenty minutes till crisp is correct.  The texture at fifteen minutes was a bit off putting to say the least.

• Haha 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Last night, we went out to a place @KennethT reminded me still existed and looked pretty good from his pix...Kanoyama.

In season, we usually like to share one of these as a starter...

IMG_6975.thumb.jpeg.62624d39c99be8601e35a14e1a1abd8a.jpeg

Soft shell crab, nicely fried, served with a ponzu dipping sauce. And another favorite of mine, which our waiter said he thought they were 86ed, but there was one left for me - a big one...

IMG_6977.thumb.jpeg.9fa56b596e6a54b838e57dc89a424ad4.jpeg

Like @Duvel, I like collars, be they pork, lamb, or as in this case, hamachi. Simply grilled or slammed in a salamander.

Followed by various sushi offerings.

• Like 12
  • Delicious 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

24 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Like @Duvel, I like collars, be they pork, lamb, or as in this case, hamachi. Simply grilled or slammed in a salamander

God, I wish I could get my hands on a hamachi collar 🥺

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, weinoo said:

One of my favorites!

There was a small Izakaya place in HK … I went there often, because I had personal ties with the ladies of the HK Japanese dragon boat team (not what you think), and I often brought business partners and friends. I always requested the Hamachi collar, whether is was on the special menu or not. And I always got some goodies (think soups and tartare and whatnot) with it …

My partners assumed because I ordered an inferior item, that they wanted to get rid of. But it was because the owner knew that I knew what was good and available. Everyone can order a tuna toro …

• Like 3

Sometimes things just don’t work out the way you want to …

I‘ve been fighting a hankering for Da Pan Ji for while now. Mentally preparing myself I was faced with a conundrum at the butcher - no deboned chicken thighs available. Now, my family wouldn’t accept bone-in chopped up ones, and after a long day of telcons I wouldn’t accept to debone the chicken thighs myself. Soooo … pork collar to the rescue 🤗

B8A5EF8A-0C5B-454D-8010-093671DA99AC.thumb.jpeg.a700952dfea7ed5b772f70fe8bf20b57.jpeg

Da Pan Rou (or whatever you wanna call it): Pork collar, braised with spices, potatoes and more some alliums … very tasty. Served with udon noodles (and some extra chili oil for me) out of convenience. Still veeeery satisfying … family enjoyed as well 🥳

1B635BB7-0305-4F44-8106-73A7ADB99F78.thumb.jpeg.1dfdd37da20252f2a6877d350b75c59d.jpeg

BAD6A81B-4610-4392-9CD4-C9BF1A9A4492.thumb.jpeg.d825b70522abe58b6b3fc7123c6092c8.jpeg

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Now, my family wouldn’t accept bone-in chopped up ones, and after a long day of telcons I wouldn’t accept to debone the chicken thighs myself.

Have you not taught your family the joys of sucking meat off of a bone?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

3 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Have you not taught your family the joys of sucking meat off of a bone?

Yeah, I blame myself for that. Four years of living in HK plus ample visits to Vietnam, Thailand and China … still the boneless meats are the most popular ones. Should have prolonged …

Edited by Duvel (log)

6 hours ago, weinoo said:

Last night, we went out to a place @KennethT reminded me still existed and looked pretty good from his pix...Kanoyama

That meal is gorgeous. From plating to seemingly expertly cooked. I'm growing red veined sorrel but it is just coming up about an inch now. 

Mark Weins has a recent video from a visit to SCarolina or NC? visiting a soft shell provider. Interesting process. 

We smoked StLouis ribs, a few salmon fillets, shrimp, and sausages. A couple different ones. Sage breakfast links and a garlic ginger packet from WaldenLocal. The sage is going into a pasta salad tonight with miso glazed left-over ribs.. Sushi tomorrow night. Lots of options for a few lunches and dinners. All I need to concentrate on is salads and a veg or sides. When we grill/smoke we pack it while at the process 'piggy-back'. 

4 shelves were stuffed. No room for smoked cheeses. 

Screen Shot 2022-05-30 at 8.53.39 AM.png

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1

6 hours ago, weinoo said:

Last night, we went out to a place @KennethT reminded me still existed and looked pretty good from his pix...Kanoyama.

In season, we usually like to share one of these as a starter...

IMG_6975.thumb.jpeg.62624d39c99be8601e35a14e1a1abd8a.jpeg

Soft shell crab, nicely fried, served with a ponzu dipping sauce. And another favorite of mine, which our waiter said he thought they were 86ed, but there was one left for me - a big one...

Like @Duvel, I like collars, be they pork, lamb, or as in this case, hamachi. Simply grilled or slammed in a salamander.

Followed by various sushi offerings.

We had the soft shell the last time we were there, but I haven't yet pulled the trigger on the hamachi collar, not that it hasn't called to me but I'm afraid C may not be into it, even though many times she surprises me.  What did you think of the sushi you got?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Annie_H said:

That meal is gorgeous. From plating to seemingly expertly cooked. I'm growing red veined sorrel but it is just coming up about an inch now. 

Mark Weins has a recent video from a visit to SCarolina or NC? visiting a soft shell provider. Interesting process. 

We smoked StLouis ribs, a few salmon fillets, shrimp, and sausages. A couple different ones. Sage breakfast links and a garlic ginger packet from WaldenLocal. The sage is going into a pasta salad tonight with miso glazed left-over ribs.. Sushi tomorrow night. Lots of options for a few lunches and dinners. All I need to concentrate on is salads and a veg or sides. When we grill/smoke we pack it while at the process 'piggy-back'. 

4 shelves were stuffed. No room for smoked cheeses. 

Screen Shot 2022-05-30 at 8.53.39 AM.png

That soft shell crab guy was interesting in the Wiens video on North Carolina. He kicks in around minute 29. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5IYbs77JAc

Southwestern chili bacon cheddar burgers. The pablanos at the supermarket were garbage, so I had to use anaheims instead. And they were kinda flavorless. #neveragain. Dinner came together just as the baby decided he needed to be fed, so the burgers hung out in the smart oven until he said we were free to go.

46221FFB-72EE-4C00-9CD6-9E63E6FE598B.thumb.jpeg.c275aaae868b902b423e7247f789edb9.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 2
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, heidih said:

That soft shell crab guy was interesting in the Wiens video on North Carolina. He kicks in around minute 29. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5IYbs77JAc

Wilmington NC.looking back at the vid. We have family in Charleston,SC. Always looking for overnight stops if not flying. Prefer a road trip driving so I can hit my parents on the way or way back EasternShore DelMarVa. 

2 hours ago, KennethT said:

We had the soft shell the last time we were there, but I haven't yet pulled the trigger on the hamachi collar, not that it hasn't called to me but I'm afraid C may not be into it, even though many times she surprises me.  What did you think of the sushi you got?

Very nice - it certainly led me to believe that their omakase might be worth a try.  The fish was well cared for, and the rice was very good!  Might an omakase be in order at some point? Like you, i sometimes worry about Sig Eater's response to certain items, as she tends to be a little less adventurous than me in what food she likes. As well as how she likes it prepared.

In any event, I think Kanoyama might move into a regular rotation for our sushi fix! (Good sakes, too).

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

2 hours ago, btbyrd said:

Southwestern chili bacon cheddar burgers. The pablanos at the supermarket were garbage, so I had to use anaheims instead. And they were kinda flavorless. #neveragain. Dinner came together just as the baby decided he needed to be fed, so the burgers hung out in the smart oven until he said we were free to go.

46221FFB-72EE-4C00-9CD6-9E63E6FE598B.thumb.jpeg.c275aaae868b902b423e7247f789edb9.jpeg

FWIW: Start the youngster out early on pickles. When mine was 9months old, I could take her to anywhere with a salad bar, give her a dill spear and some crackers, and she was happy for ages.

Burgers look good. I couldn’t interest anyone in burgers, so mine are in the fridge, yet to be cooked.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

23 hours ago, Anna N said:

How did it turn out in terms of doneness and tenderness?

Tender fall of the bone but a little tighter on the chew if that makes sense.

And thank you.

IMG_20220529_142031.thumb.jpg.76d132aa5c061b7ec8a0a34129927625.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Captain said:

Tender fall of the bone but a little tighter on the chew if that makes sense.

And thank you.

IMG_20220529_142031.thumb.jpg.76d132aa5c061b7ec8a0a34129927625.jpg

Interesting. Perhaps like pork neck - I did not realize it would be interesting in off-side heat on the Q but the flavor amd chew as you note balanced. As the Q's come on sale for summer I may get a Weber - mine was sold when I moved.