• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2022

liuzhou

Single rib prime, sous vide @132F for 4.5 hours, and finished off on the BBQ. Green peppercorn gravy, etc

1420138383_SousVidePrimeRib7340.jpg.ae587a39634ad5d7dda11772d6cac33f.jpg

Comfort food: Steamed chicken with Shitaki mushrooms and Chinese sausage. Sauteed Shanghai bok choy and rice. Love the rice mixed with the meat juice!

1221997840_Steamedchicken7344.jpg.22dfcf63caf3ce2e70316f185548b565.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 4

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Burger night. I'm not a baker but pulled off some good buns. (DH is the bread baker). Recipe makes 8 but I divide into 12. Our burgers are just over 3oz. I like the bun smaller than the burger. I turned the recipe into a no-knead pinch and fold. Winged it and got lucky. Freeze beautifully.

Potato and sweet potato chips. Blistered cherry tomatoes and pickled red onion, fennel, frisee. Prefer blue or gorgonzola but had some goat. 

Screen Shot 2022-05-24 at 8.07.07 AM.png

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

Vietnamese lemongrass chicken, made with chicken thighs marinated with lemongrass/garlic/ginger/black pepper/thai chilli/fish sauce/soy sauce/MSG/turmeric 

PXL_20220525_002340739.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.8debb746e1f48a006666347917900c8b.jpg

Edited by KennethT (log)
  • Like 14
  • Delicious 5

We've had a stalled front for the past few days so it's not been the best grill tending weather.  I smoked these not-so-baby back ribs on my weber gas grill and Smokai generator with apple pellets.  The ribs are cooked over indirect heat using one of the three burners.  Temps stay around 250F with a cooking time of ~7 hrs.

IMG_20220523_174601568_HDR.thumb.jpg.4b8c244d9dc61b6cdb714f50b0645b97.jpg 

IMG_20220523_164220848.thumb.jpg.6a6dbf4525c964f2170073e108bb3b78.jpg

• Like 18
  • Delicious 2

Risotto update! This time, prawns and scallops. 40 minutes this time to make sure the rice was cooked to the family's satisfaction with the seafood added at the end. IMG_20220524_213746.thumb.jpg.cc1c16cc7bbe4b2177f8e06463f8cec1.jpg

Almost like congee but everyone loved it, so it's a win. Actually tasted fine, no one complained about the lone finely chopped chilli, and it wasn't completely mushy. Nice glass of Verdicchio dei Castelli di Jesi to accompany.

• Like 18

Another quick weeknight pasta dish. Using a thinning crisper drawer. Merguez, fennel, onions. Olives, capers, roasted artichoke hearts. 
Shitty pasta. Rao's rigatoni. Bronze die and held the sauce fine but too thick. Gummy even cooked perfectly. At least it was Misfits cheap. Still a bummer to make a good sauce and finish with a mediocre pasta. 

Screen Shot 2022-05-25 at 11.23.32 AM.jpeg

Edited by Annie_H (log)
  • Like 7
  • Sad 4

@Shelby – mmmm!  Everything looks so good.  I need some fried chicken soon.  I think I’m going to try the sous vide, then fry method finally.  And those strawberries are utterly gorgeous.  I don’t even know if there are any pick your own farms around here anymore.  The big one we used to go to is now just a garden center.  Your shortbread looks good, too.  This  is my recipe for shortbread, what do you do?

@Tropicalsenior – Happy Birthday!  Your tonkatsu dinner looks delicious.  That’s a favorite around here that I haven’t made in a long time. 

@Kerala – Happy Birthday to you, too!

@Dejah – please excuse my ignorance, but what is the fuzzy stuff on the congee? 

On Friday, Jessica and I traveled to Northern VA for a couple of days to visit family and do a little sightseeing.   On Friday, we had dinner at Viet Foods in the Eden Center – a large shopping center with all-Asian businesses.  The restaurant that we celebrated Jessica’s 2nd (or 3rd) birthday in was in this center.  She’s now 38 and was the one who found the shopping center – not knowing the history.  We’ve got a great picture of her eating lo mein with chopsticks. 

We shared the crispy rolls:

IMG_9399.jpg.6a00b9184732430d3b6f0d67157db530.jpg 

I had the Shaking Beef:

IMG_9397.jpg.d4f1ed9efecab9347baee260d78968b1.jpg 

I’d never had it before but had seen it on Food Network.  It was so good.  Even the bell peppers didn’t ruin it – they didn’t flavor the entire dish like they normally do.  The beef was incredibly tender, and the rice and sauce were great.  I didn’t use the sauce in the little cup – it was way too hot. 

Jessica got the vermicelli bowl with sugar cane shrimp, roast pork, crispy roll:

IMG_9400.jpg.8cb3fa9e03040750b8682453070052cf.jpg 

For dessert, we shared a crepe cake with mango cream and mango puree from a place in the same center called Mango Mango:

IMG_9401.jpg.9eb552485f4c72cfdffc6b579ed4117f.jpg 

It was truly delectable. 

Sunday night:

IMG_9440.jpg.3e558e629388e075b56bf5c4e2fbeb6a.jpg 

A BLT.  Just had a craving.

Last night dinner for me was (canned) clam chowder and a tomato sandwich:

1-IMG_9482.jpg.70b23fdef9101cce4dd80c0aa727c7ce.jpg

1-IMG_9481.jpg.b3117f00f071c017e89c91d49a1c45e7.jpg 

What can I say?  It scratched the particular itch I had.  And the bread was wrong, but it still tasted good! 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 5

14 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

On Friday, we had dinner at Viet Foods in the Eden Center – a large shopping center with all-Asian businesses. 

One of my favorite places...I don't remember if Viet Foods was where I had fantastic fried quail (like 3 for $10!!), but I know it was a place in Eden Center. In addition to all the food shops/restaurants, some of the other businesses are just way out there!

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

My favourite grocery store with a butcher and a meat counter had their Sterling Silver NY Strip steaks and NY Strip roasts on sale for $10.99 lb instead of $19.99 a lb.
The steaks in the display were only 3/4 of an inch thick and I prefer a thicker steak, one big enough for Moe and I to share.
1835957299_NYStripSteaksMay25th20221.thumb.jpg.2c23d0c2b7c15c6f49b0db7cfffd6c44.jpg
They would have cut them for me but instead I bought two of the NY Strip roasts and cut them myself.
1738786629_NYStripSteaksMay25th2022.thumb.jpg.3b2e8a16711d09b51f2c51517e6ed35d.jpg
Six thick steaks just over 1 1/2 inches each.
Froze five of them and presalted the sixth and I will grill it tonight.
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

1 hour ago, Ann_T said:

The steaks in the display were only 3/4 of an inch thick and I prefer a thicker steak, one big enough for Moe and I to share.

This is what I do with a strip, which I try to get about 1 1/2 inches thick.  We share it and still have leftovers, which are great on a salad or in fried rice.

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

2 hours ago, Ann_T said:

My favourite grocery store with a butcher and a meat counter had their Sterling Silver NY Strip steaks and NY Strip roasts on sale for $10.99 lb instead of $19.99 a lb.

❤️❤️❤️gorgeous steaks. 

We had a roadside butcher in the Catskill Mountains 20 yrs ago that would bring the NYStrip to the counter and let us decide the thickness and grind burger meat fresh using our choice of cuts. Excellent sausage. Such a friendly pleasant butcher. When he retired his son took over. The son would grumpily nod to the pre-cut cold undercounted selections and refuse to grind anything to-order. The sausage was so salty it was inedible. Everyone in the community complained but he did not care. (we did not bother to complain being city people with other options)...but decided to purchase a good grinder and make our own burger mince and sausages with good study. 

We also share that size NYStrip and have nice slices for lunches. Any tail end flips and tender fats go in my burger mince mix. With chuck, brisket, and short rib. 

• Sad 1

Last night...

Dinner05262022.jpg

Braised beef chuck.*  Delightfully simple steamed carrots.  Potatoes weren't half bad neither.

*https://forums.egullet.org/topic/128205-butter-braised-beef-dutch-draadjesvlees/

• Like 9
  • Delicious 9

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

12 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Braised beef chuck.*  Delightfully simple steamed carrots.  Potatoes weren't half bad neither.

That beef recipe always called out to me. I never did make it!  One day perhaps. I do miss @Chufi  Yours looks very good. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog