• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2022

liuzhou

image.thumb.jpeg.ede79e2a5241289e01604159a2d0ea39.jpeg

Japanese Chicken Curry (チキンカレー)

I like the website Just One Cookbook for tips. There are one or two other websites also helpful (for me) for Japanese cooking.  Happy Donabe Life!

The curry roux was house made. The chicken was thigh. The asparagus was farmer's market, butter braised. The rice is 50% milled Koshihikari, purchased from The Rice Factory. Cooked in the Zo, cause the Zo is the bomb.

• Like 10
  • Delicious 2
  • Haha 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

14 hours ago, Shelby said:

DROOLING.  My favorite next to walleye.  We--maybe just Ronnie, but I'm going to try--are going tomorrow.  Hopefully coming home with walleye.  The length limits have changed and we might have a chance to catch a keeper.

Are they sunfish?  Hard to tell from the pics - but if so, they are HUGE!!!

Never knew they were good eating, always was told they were just full of bones (probably the old folks way of getting me to throw em back and save more for themselves!)  😛

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, TicTac said:

Are they sunfish?  Hard to tell from the pics - but if so, they are HUGE!!!

Never knew they were good eating, always was told they were just full of bones (probably the old folks way of getting me to throw em back and save more for themselves!)  😛

I believe they are crappie.

We have eaten sunfish before though--really good if they are big enough.

A new creation for us; homemade dumplings using dried rice paper rolls. They turn out fantastic … chewy on the inside crispy on the outside, a new winner in our house!   made two types of fillings for this batch one pork and dill the other pork shiitake ginger and carrot.

6FAB055C-20BD-4F14-86F4-A964F387CA81.thumb.jpeg.9461b6b38a3ef05da5c27172f5568b20.jpeg

• Like 13

4 minutes ago, TicTac said:

A new creation for us; homemade dumplings using dried rice paper rolls. They turn out fantastic … chewy on the inside crispy on the outside, a new winner in our house!   made two types of fillings for this batch one pork and dill the other pork shiitake ginger and carrot.

6FAB055C-20BD-4F14-86F4-A964F387CA81.thumb.jpeg.9461b6b38a3ef05da5c27172f5568b20.jpeg

What's the difference between your dumpling and a vietnamese spring roll?  Seems like the same thing except for the filling and dipping sauce.  How did you fry them to avoid the explosions?

The dinner I made tonight was perfectly seasoned, exquisitedly spiced and  a delicate balance of sweet, bitter, acid, umami and stupendous glory. Unfortunately it looked like a pile of excrement so no detailed description and certainly no photograph!

Parts of this post may not be entirely unbiased except the last sentence!

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 9

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I found a meatball recipe that Charlie said was really good.  This is the second time I have made it.  I used the same jarred tomato sauce because I think it is really good too.  Just before I started posting this I checked to see where it is made and it is distributed by a company here in Kansas City and the restaurant is here in Overland Park. PS Charlie just told me he has eaten there. He said it is a really nice place and a lot of the food seems to be very authentic and not what you usually expect to see on an Italian restaurant menu.

20220517_171606.jpg

20220517_171826.jpg

20220517_172821-1.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 15
  • Delicious 3

27 minutes ago, lindag said:

Sauteed fresh corn is the best way to prepare it, IMHO.

I repectfully disagree. Incinerating it and burying it under reinforced nuclear bomb resistant concrete is the best way!

• Haha 9

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

On 5/17/2022 at 10:29 AM, KennethT said:

What's the difference between your dumpling and a vietnamese spring roll?  Seems like the same thing except for the filling and dipping sauce.  How did you fry them to avoid the explosions?

Perhaps nothing!? 

I did not over pack, and also double wrapped to create a thicker wrapping and contain said juices.  Some did escape, but I did it on a med-high non-stick pan, in butter and rice bran oil - so no crazy temps for massive splashage.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, TicTac said:

Perhaps nothing!? 

I did not over pack, and also double wrapped to create a thicker wrapping and contain said juices.  Some did escape, but I did it on a med-high non-stick pan, in butter and rice bran oil - so no crazy temps for massive splashage.

Sorry - that's not what I meant by explosions.  Sometimes, when frying things wrapped in rice paper, there's a little free water there from wetting the rice paper to get it flexible and those drops of water cause explosions!  Once you wrapped the rolls, did you blot them dry or anything or do a really efficient (no extra water) dipping job? Or just get lucky? 🤣

Pork chop, made in the NFG, served with green beans, also made in the NFG.  I tossed them in some avocado oil and put them in when the pork chop came out, cooking on the residual heat for 5 minutes while the chop rested.

nfg-pork-chop18.jpg.0cd9035283a9b9f5b0522e6df3ff0b4e.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 2

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Smoked salmon spring rolls and a pickled vegetable with avocado. Only had one nori sheet so the rice paper is handy to have on hand. Sloppy but always good. (sesame seed flip top container failed)

First mango and watermelon of the season. Both excellent.

image.png

• Like 9

50 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Sorry - that's not what I meant by explosions.  Sometimes, when frying things wrapped in rice paper, there's a little free water there from wetting the rice paper to get it flexible and those drops of water cause explosions!  Once you wrapped the rolls, did you blot them dry or anything or do a really efficient (no extra water) dipping job? Or just get lucky? 🤣

Not the person you asked, but I can add that I never dip the rice paper - I just wet my hands and give the rounds a light pass or two. How I was taught. No explosions.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, lindag said:

Sauteed fresh corn is the best way to prepare it, IMHO.

Yes - the butter and herbs are a perfect addition; I think Jacques adds a little cream (and maybe a tiny bit of sugar) as well.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

On 5/17/2022 at 5:13 AM, CantCookStillTry said:

I'm over here, sometimes cooking,  still happy the kids most requested is "cleanthefridge" Fried Rice. 😊

I would have loved that as a kid. A shame my parent were not adventurous cooks. 

• Like 1

@weinoo – I loved seeing that David Downie Roman cookbook.  I have it somewhere in the stacks.  He’s a friend of mine (mostly FB – I met him through a mutual friend and met him once in person at a local book signing).  When I told him about the post of his book on eG, he told me a really cool story: “Alfredo was my grandfather's orderly (aide de camp) in World War One? My grandfather was a great gourmet who at one time owned a restaurant in Rome... before the War and Fascism... he taught Alfred to cook for him and he ate very well throughout WW One. Alfredo went on to become rich and famous. My mother and her family would dine like kings at Alfredo's in the early days... When I told the story to Alfredo's grandson maybe 25 years ago he burst into tears and hugged me. I showed him a photo of my grandfather and his grandfather on the front, in the Alpine troops.

@Shelby – I love those little cat dishes, too, and put them on my Amazon wishlist the minute I saw them.  I have been periodically mentioning that fact to Mr. Kim and keep watching for an Amazon box to come to the door.  Everything looks so good.  I love breakfast for dinner and that fruit salad is calling out to me!

@Tropicalsenior – your salad plates looked fantastic.  As does the char siu!  Thanks for linking to the recipes for the pork and the buns.  I’d really like to try making both of them.

@mgaretz – congratulations on the retirement!   

Thursday was sliders, potatoes, and salad.  Salad:

IMG_9338.thumb.jpg.b0342e708bf0092a658b6980ddbe129c.jpg 

Sometimes I just want a classic iceberg lettuce salad with 1000 Island dressing. 

These were good, but I realized as I bit into one that I forgot the Worcestershire sauce. 

IMG_9339.thumb.jpg.87944f9034dcaa2d23dd767a5460b902.jpg 

And CSO “Fried” Potato Wedges:

IMG_9340.jpg.63c41342d6563102188523bc86841edd.jpg 

These were especially good.  Very similar to @Ann_T’s CSO “Fries”, but made with new potatoes instead of russets. 

Friday was breakfast for dinner.  Sister Schubert Sausage Pinwheel rolls and scrambled eggs:

IMG_9354.jpg.0d4dd2bd2e925e647eeb88f01fa9e4a7.jpg

IMG_9356.thumb.jpg.94e15df4aa6013a786c4e2bbe00cd5e0.jpg 

Served with applesauce and orange wedges:

IMG_9353.jpg.aae47cbff477c1e1e08a9c8f790730d0.jpg 

The rolls were a little odd.  They smelled great (and I think this brand of frozen rolls is very good to start out with), but the sausage was all flavor and no substance – you could taste a “sausage-y” flavor, and see the pinwheel, but there was no discernable sausage presence.  Really weird. 

Last night was spaghetti w/ meat sauce, salad, and bolillos rolls:

IMG_9376.thumb.jpg.aebd1907e40277b6cb4e22fd026feb18.jpg 

Just fixed up, extra meaty Victoria White Linen jarred sauce. 

Dill pickle salad kit:

IMG_9375.jpg.3d7b692d4775c0f8d02ebce6b2c8c30f.jpg 

This is pretty good.  Radishes, shredded cauliflower, cabbage, croutons and too much kale. 

IMG_9374.jpg.b3181aca3672a3983c69d97b2e96efc7.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 4

33 minutes ago, heidih said:

Not the person you asked, but I can add that I never dip the rice paper - I just wet my hands and give the rounds a light pass or two. How I was taught. No explosions.

I do the same. I make 'double wides'. Warm water on my hands. Two rice papers touching with a third on and overlapping in the center. Meis en place ready to go to build and roll. 

Alex-theFrench-guy has a video using rice papers a dozen ways. Might be the first video I ran across from him 5-6 years ago. I've wrapped miso glazed fish fillets, with rice paper, then glazed with a miso/soy sauced glaze and baked. As long as it is kept oiled or glazed it gets crispy. 

I did get a fussy brand during lock-down that gave me endless issues turning to mush. I've heard their is a 'new-kid-on-the-block' that just needs a light mist spritzer on a kitchen tea towel to be pliable. 

I purchased the same brand for years with a shallow warm bath dip. No issues. When my local international market went bankrupt I lost the brand name. As well as the baked hand pie empanada wrappers. I now take pics of every product that I have success with. Sucks when all the prep is ready and the wrappers do not deliver. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Annie_H said:

Smoked salmon spring rolls and a pickled vegetable with avocado. Only had one nori sheet so the rice paper is handy to have on hand. Sloppy but always good. (sesame seed flip top container failed)

First mango and watermelon of the season. Both excellent.

image.png

I made plans some time ago to make a smoked salmon quiche.  My store was out of the salmon so I put the recipe on hold and , of course, soon forgot about it.

Your post reminded me.

Here's the recipe.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lindag said:

made plans some time ago to make a smoked salmon quiche.  My store was out of the salmon so I put the recipe on hold and , of course, soon forgot about it.

Your post reminded me.

Here's the recipe.

That looks amazing. We are big 'piggy-backers'. If we smoke, four small trays, cheeses first as a cold smoke, then a few salmon fillets, then often shrimp/scallops, an appetizer. Then some sausages like merguez...ribs pre-braised, or spatchcocked chicken, or a lamb rack, or thick pork chops. Endless combinations for a few days or for the freezer. Roast a sheet pan of veg or next day chicken for salad, etc. Use that heat for another dish. 

• Like 2