• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2022

liuzhou

Dinner tonight will be Beef Bulgogi (Korean Marinated Beef), another recipe from ATK.  (I would post a link to the recipe if it weren't protected).

If it's half as good as their recipe for Mongolian Beef I will be impressed.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

20220508_055828.thumb.jpg.bd42f350eab0a3d3986a2dedcbe6c035.jpgI had a tuna fish sandwich with pepper jack cheese for dinner last night. I had made meatloaf with roasted carrots and potatoes for our dinner but I found out that my next door neighbor passed away in the afternoon. She was a sweet little woman that just turned 96 last week. I sent our dinner to them along with a loaf of bread that I had made in the morning.

20220507_101437.thumb.jpg.22ca70586ecf43c57814624ee08e208c.jpg

I will miss her.

Sorry to hear about your loss - I think I remember you saying how you were quite close with your neighboring family.  But I like the idea of bringing food over - the family has enough to worry about so taking care of them is one less thing for them right now.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, MaryIsobel said:

Prep for Hairy Biker's Spanish Chicken. https://www.hairybikers.com/recipes/view/spanish-style-chicken-bake

Prep takes all of 15 minutes and elements are added to a roasting pan at intervals. Only ingredient not shown is chicken thighs which are still defrosting, but they are just slashed a few times and seasoned. I added an extra pepper as we have a plethora. I also peeled the garlic cloves. Used hot Italian sausage because chorizo is unheard of in the one horse town in which I reside, and I didn't feel like doing the 25 minute drive to where I know I can get it. Hopefully I will remember to post a picture of the end product.

HB_7154.jpg

And here is the finished product: I added some spinach that needed using at the very end. Foil pan to the rescue when I realized that my large roasting pan was too big and my small roasting pan was too small. It was great and very easy.

HB1.jpg

HB2.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 1

2 hours ago, KennethT said:

I remember you saying how you were quite close with your neighboring family

Thank you, what a fantastic memory you have. Yes, we were neighbors for 22 years and until three years ago when she signed the house over to her daughters, she was my landlady. She raised her own family in the house that I am living in. She was definitely one of the most influential women in our area. She was the first woman mayor in Costa Rica. About 5 years ago, the president himself came to her house to present her with a presidential medal. Just my luck, I was out to lunch that day.

I never have to give anyone my address. I just say I live in Doña Flora's house.

• Like 13

Pizza & Movie night - our Sunday tradition, this time with my parents. 

Salami & mushroom (2x), sausage & olive and Gorgonzola & spinach. Forgot to take individual pictures, so here is a “intermediate” snapshot …

C5F1BAC3-A296-4443-8BF9-EB18DB8ADB40.thumb.jpeg.845fd2760ea84fd0cb3bc8550729e103.jpeg

Movie was some odd story about furry creatures in donut shapes called “Extinct”. We need to return to the classics …

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 4

^nice looking pizza. Planning a mid week pizza night...including gorgonzola. 

Managed an electric smoker day even in the rain---under the eaves. Small smoker but four shelves. Top shelf mozzarella (for pizza), then a couple salmon filets---one for tonights sushi. Oven par-baked ribs, then a good 2 hours on the smoker. Perfect. Good bark and just a light tug off the bone clean. Low and slow.

Heap of a plate that should be a full tasting menu--well, nice thinking. If house guests or a dinner party I would make an effort and serve cocktail small shared plates standing, then a sit down for the Nasu Dengaku, (miso glazed roasted eggplant). Then Ribs and roasted radish. I was so happy with the ribs I had no reason to impress myself any further, 😂.

All vegetables and root crops cooked as we like them. (just ordered more eggplant)

IMG_2956.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

My better half bought two pork butts for me to cook for a KyDerby party that were a little on the large side.  I portioned (poached) seven pork steaks for the freezer prior to smoking the pork on my weber grill.  For the past couple of  years I've smoke the butts  for the 6-8 hours (internal temp ~ 150) then overnight in the oven at 225F.  The finish temp is usually around 205 but this time 215F.  Here's a few photo's out of the oven and "pulling".

IMG_20220507_081809071_HDR.thumb.jpg.f47db2245323c7f8d5025b280b6ba801.jpg

IMG_20220507_082231317.thumb.jpg.de5e5c658f357b3fada47e280fbe5981.jpg

The pork was well received (no leftovers😢) so I grilled two pork steaks for supper tonight with a few supplements resulting in a mixed grill of pork steaks, deboned chicken thighs, eggplant, zucchini and brussel sprouts.

IMG_20220506_080620576.thumb.jpg.a73f7ef393272f7a6181cc30a7e99d57.jpg

IMG_20220508_190750826_HDR.thumb.jpg.1073f81314939d350fdd421af89dbebd.jpg

• Like 17
  • Delicious 4

On 5/2/2022 at 1:41 PM, Duvel said:

I decided to venture into the topic of smoking and bought myself an entry level electric smoker. I was certain to sneak the purchase by the missus, but it’s difficult to hide a black monolith on the terrace that expels smoke at a visible rate for hours. She knows me so well: she deducted that 1) it’s probably another toy for cooking, 2) it probably didn’t cost much per se but 3) probably will lead to significant investments into more equipment and time in the foreseeable future. My wife 🥰

4E680ACD-185D-40FF-BAD0-8B7F59086865.thumb.jpeg.6cb7464a16ccbf4d2842f012568ae9a5.jpeg

Anyway, first try with beech wood (German standard) and pork ribs. Flavor was good, both “dry” and sauced.

BB745D8B-5F50-4039-9083-7728EC7982A3.thumb.jpeg.c4f8a5f98bc69c6bbfeef8ff99700540.jpeg

8FD2BBC8-5A23-4A00-BA04-44493EA63A4D.thumb.jpeg.46c4eae8006ed40195abc4e68ea1add0.jpeg

Needs a bit more tenderness and maybe a more complex and expensive setup 😜

Been using a Masterbuilt smoker for years.   Similar to yours just an older model.  I was going to get a Cookshack when it died but has yet to die and I’m at a point of not wanting to spend a lot of money on something that doesn’t get a lot of use.   The  Masterbuilt is on its last leg or maybe toe.  The chip tray has a big hole in it and is covered over in heavy aluminum foil.   But did smoked some salmon belly just the other day.  Trying to get  our house ready to sell and downsize. But sure will miss my pool house  with a sauna and shower.  Never use the sauna except to store bags of green coffee.  I live In Florida.  It is a sauna!

• Like 4

Small chunks of beef rib eye and a whole bunch of broccoli that needed to be eaten = stir-fy

1259387941_BeefBroccoli7190.jpg.183b50d7183c227ebfb7c3d8ca4d7731.jpg

Augmented by a can of Spicy Deep Fried Dace and Salted Black Beans and Jasmine rice

1772849386_SpicyFriedDace7191.jpg.70673f0e6b8f13b8b105f086c31bf242.jpg

Pan-fried Breaded Pickerel Fillets, peas, and Cavendish fries in the air fryer. Mango Chili sauce on the pickerel

433808034_PickerelPeasChips7200.jpg.ba4c4e1d4458b1249a5b5591620d746c.jpg

• Like 16
  • Delicious 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

A reworking of leftover Kenji Easy Skillet-Braised Chicken with Mushrooms and Bacon.

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/163549-dinner-2022/?do=findComment&comment=2340930

I stir-fried more mushrooms, shallots, and garlic.  And rebraised last week's leftover chicken to oblivion.  Just the way I like it.  Pink chicken does not appeal to me.  And unlike last week, quite good.

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I cooked dinner at my Mom's yesterday for mother's day.  Crab cakes, the first local asparagus of the season (even my Dad ate that and he dislikes asparagus!), and a salad with apples and fennel.  

IMG_9980.thumb.jpg.176db7e86285d14666fd4e1b0e929a41.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 9

Chicken Pot Pie with Savory Crumble - chicken thighs with carrots, mushrooms, celery, peas in a simple flour-based sauce with milk, chicken broth, tomato paste and soy sauce and everything covered with some savory crumbles made with flour, butter, parmesan and cream.

6A86947A-FCBF-437F-B96E-9DAB33BC3458.thumb.jpeg.b4cc5f09f44ea30187a5419dfc09cd0e.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 6

Nice! They're about a week away where I live, and vanishingly rare (though apparently one brand of bark mulch sold locally gifted a few enthusiasts with an unexpected flush of them, last year).

There are some Gyromitra korfii and G. esculenta already about, but I'm not familiar enough with false morels (or, frankly, interested enough) to mess around with the necessary levels of careful ID and/or preparation.

• Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

@Honkman 

brilliant idea :   savory crumbles 

are yours different than   ' croutons ? '

did you bake the crumbles first , then slice up ?

would like to hear more about them .

• Like 1

Linguine with Broccoli Rabe Pesto and Oven-Roasted Peppers - the blanched leaves from broccoli rabe were used with olive oil, pine nuts and parmesan to make the pesto. Oven-Roasted red peppers, garlic and the blanched stems of broccoli rabe and more parmesan completed the dish.

ACE248BA-911F-48D2-A1CC-CAB0B941EB25.thumb.jpeg.d4e52cb9e193784feafd78ff8f2d7717.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 1

12 hours ago, rotuts said:

@Honkman 

brilliant idea :   savory crumbles 

are yours different than   ' croutons ? '

did you bake the crumbles first , then slice up ?

would like to hear more about them .

The texture is very different to croutons (which are obviously very bread-like).You mix flour, baking powder and cold butter until it resembles coarse sand. Than first add parmesan and afterwards some heavy cream, mix and place 1/2 inch pieces of the savory crumbles on parchment paper on a baking tray and bake it for 10 minutes at 450F. You can use it later in dishes.

Edited by Honkman (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 1