• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2022

liuzhou

1 hour ago, Paul Bacino said:

White King Salmon 

Oooh, I have not had white king salmon in years.  Legal Seafoods used to carry it in their (now closed) fish market many years ago, but stopped.  When I asked why, they said that people complained and did not believe it was actually salmon because it was white, so it was hard to sell. 😐 Anyway, yours looks delicious.

We also had salmon last night.  Soy, ginger, and miso glazed, over coconut rice with some roasted broccoli and king oyster mushrooms 

salmon.thumb.jpg.d5800debfb8b4d032c42b73d2a9d97e3.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 3

On 5/1/2022 at 2:27 AM, Norm Matthews said:

I won't be going.  I hate crowds and am pretty quiet and withdrawn around people.

I won't be going anywhere, either. Can't stand the presence of people and can't fake nice.

UMDehf1.jpg

Yeah, super busy... relaxing.

oCOytzn.jpg

And besides... all my stuff is here!

sNVI98s.jpg

• Haha 9

12 hours ago, gfweb said:

@kayb I've never compared the two. My assumption, perhaps wrong, is that cooked meat will absorb less smoke than raw.

Somebody must know t he answer.

Sounds logical.  But then again, if you can maintain a low enough temp in the Weber/smoker - you should not need to SV - you should even be able to achieve moist white meat (just brine ahead of time, if you are especially concerned).

• Like 1

For dinner tonight I'd like @Norm Matthews green beans and @Duvel's Køttbullar (no mushrooms, please 😁).  Instead, I'm pretty sure it's going to be leftovers since I have a church group to host at church tonight at 7pm.  

Last night Mr. Kim took his mom up to Washington DC for her Christmas gift – Diana Krall in concert and dinner at Floriana.  My dinner:

IMG_9157.jpg.84b5602da0d9a8dadbd6470c5968ed0b.jpg

Carolina dog – yellow mustard, chili, and slaw (minus raw onions, though) and fixed up canned baked beans.  Funny – this seems a sad dinner compared to the pictures that Mr. Kim was sending me of their lovely meal, but it is just exactly the meal that Momma and I used to have – and LOVE – when @Ted Fairhead was out of town for some reason.  He detested sausages of all kinds and wouldn’t even try baked beans, so we would indulge joyfully! 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

53 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Carolina dog – yellow mustard, chili, and slaw (minus raw onions, though) and fixed up canned baked beans.

Looks good to me. We have quick go-to meals when the other is out of town. I stock his favorite pantry anchovies. He cooks up a kilo of pasta with pepper, anchovies, and Parmesan. Eats from that bowl all week for dinner being lazy. Lunches he gets delivery. My go-to is any veg mandolin thin, greens, olives, sliced apples or pears, and a dump of tuna straight from the can with a spicy lemon mustard vinaigrette. 

Chili dogs we both like so that is a treat we share on occasion.

Sunday I oven roasted a whole chicken. Ugly but excellent spending overnight uncovered in the fridge giving it very crispy skin. Semi-spatchocked. I took it out at 155º, rested, then back in under the broiler before serving.  Pretty succotash but zero flavor. bland. Needed to be 'stewed' or a longer cooking with some broth. Needs fresh summer corn and fresh basil and good tomatoes. Winter succotash can be good but this was a fail. 

Curried chicken salad for lunches.

Made a nice stock and a chicken, garlic/pepper sausage, RG cassoulet bean soup. Croutons from the sourdough baguette ends and inter dough fluff I like to remove. (slightly burnt as always).

Screen Shot 2022-05-03 at 1.15.08 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-04 at 7.29.29 AM.png

• Like 14
  • Delicious 1

Sous vide Chicken Marbella over saffron rice with a side of sauteed asparagus with nutritional yeast, citric acid, and dried mushroom powder.

IMG_2022-05-04-19-11-48-472.jpg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

Unusual for me, but I made a starter and a main.

Starter: Pan-fried head and shell on, wild red prawns with garlic and scallions. The prawns were bought live - as is usual for me.

778153224_FriedPrawns.thumb.jpg.04c37d2fa5a3d755b3f37560f6c64877.jpg

Main: One-pot slow cooked chicken leg, potato, onion and mixed wild mushroom stew.

chicken.thumb.jpg.a2eff13f90d126a19a1793ba027fba3b.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

8 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Starter: Pan-fried head and shell on, wild red prawns with garlic and scallions.

Gorgeous color. Curious what they look like fresh and live. Google search not much help. 

Pasta with salmon and merguez. Celery, fennel, red onion, olives, capers. Usually a few shrimp but I'm letting the freezer/pantry thin a bit. Last of the heirloom fall roasted tomatoes made a nice sauce stick blended. Homemade chili crisp for some spice. A favorite meal in our monthly rotation somewhat quick that made a nice lunch today and maybe a pasta frittata tonight. 

Screen Shot 2022-05-05 at 7.37.12 AM.png

• Like 12

Selected leftovers from the fridge (such as cooked rigatoni, half a head of cauliflower, meat of some smoked spare ribs), upgraded with fresh onions, ginger, cilantro and given the pad thai treatment (sugar, fish sauce, tamarind). Peanuts, roasted onions and more cilantro. No complaints 🤗

B0C00452-1F6C-47CC-865F-0584F698DD16.thumb.jpeg.0b29360ad54230d96ea0c0ba66c6b7f5.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 3

My 1982 GE oven died😞 It served the previous owners and me (from 1992) well, but did it REALLY have to quit when replacements are hard to access?!
It's a wall unit and limited space. I have ordered a 27" which will JUST fit in with a slight modification of 3/16" on either side of the cabinet. BUT, it won't be available until end of June!
Happy that the ice and snow are gone from the yard, and I can access the BBQ, The Big Easy, and have my Ninja Foodie if I needed an oven.

A couple of pieces of rib eye grilled on stove with pan-fried previously "bake in IP" taters.

1029760520_SteakSpuds7165.jpg.238c2daf33afc9c45be1c40c15fbbd47.jpg

Picked up soft instead of med. firm tofu, so had to pan fry the tofu and cooked spicy ground pork and eggplant in Toban sauce separately. Tossed in a handful of fresh mint leaves - lovely!

1712029860_DeconstructedMaPoTofu7166.jpg.8a440e96537c2d324457e535d4beeeaa.jpg

Absentmindedly pulled out beef kidneys, a Sterling Silver blade roast, and puff pastry thinking of Steak and Kidney pie. DUH! No oven.

Got the filling done up and thought to just have stew, but I really wanted the puff pastry topper! Googled and was able to use the air fryer to cook up pieces of the pastry.

1192169363_DeconstructedSteakKidneyPie7169.jpg.beb4182ed4bf0cf2f0106133ce417a23.jpg

3157436_SteakKidneyPie7171.jpg.cbfacab585c182b38c0233078ecef8dd.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

12 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Selected leftovers from the fridge (such as cooked rigatoni, half a head of cauliflower, meat of some smoked spare ribs), upgraded with fresh onions, ginger, cilantro and given the pad thai treatment (sugar, fish sauce, tamarind). Peanuts, roasted onions and more cilantro. No complaints 🤗

B0C00452-1F6C-47CC-865F-0584F698DD16.thumb.jpeg.0b29360ad54230d96ea0c0ba66c6b7f5.jpeg

No shrimp head fat?

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, KennethT said:

No shrimp head fat?

Unfortunately, my usual shrimp head fat leftovers ran out this morning, when I squeezed the last shrimp brains over my Special K …

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Annie_H said:

Gorgeous color. Curious what they look like fresh and live. Google search not much help. 

They look much the same uncooked as they do cooked - perhaps a shade lighter. It makes them harder to cook as it isn't visually easy to judge how well done they are. I'll post a pic next time I have some. It won't be long.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1 hour ago, Duvel said:

Unfortunately, my usual shrimp head fat leftovers ran out this morning, when I squeezed the last shrimp brains over my Special K …

I'm good with shrimp head fat maybe on rice or toast for breakfast - its the Special K that made me cringe!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dejah said:

My 1982 GE oven died😞 It served the previous owners and me (from 1992) well, but did it REALLY have to quit when replacements are hard to access?!

It is a rough time for appliance replacement. Even service calls. When we began our 1962 built original kitchen , 🙄, it was a play-by-play what we replaced first, second, etc. That was ten years ago and was still difficult. I went with a 24inch killer oven we love, stacked over a Miele steam oven. No way was I going to sacrifice an architect teak Dutch designed kitchen except removing the useless cabinet above the fridge. (we went with counter depth dual compressor). We don't stuff a fridge. 

Look at all options available. I ordered my oven and it sat for two years waiting our time and electrician. (it was being discontinued but did not want the bells-and-whistles)---simple dials. Love that fucker. Best oven ever. 

We trouble shoot all our appliances via y-tube and blogs. Never have needed any service calls ever. (knock on forehead). Even our RO water filters we replaced better ourselves than the house calls we accepted pre covid. Better pressure using a bike tire pump, etc. 

• Thanks 1

@Duvel 

Nice , always nice

re : Special K :

in the past , Ive found SK to be a bit   '' dusty '

do you have Product 19 ?

not dusty at all

consider it next time you have 

very fresh Shrimp Head Fat

let us know if this is an improvement.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Duvel said:

With shrimp head fat.....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't usually eat an evening meal but lunch was late today so I'll put it here since it was inspired by some recent discussions of Marcella Hazan's Bolognese.  I bought some ground beef to make it but this is actually the next recipe in the her Essentials book, Chicken Liver Sauce.  Should have made the suggested pappardelle but I was too lazy.  

D90ED135-A246-421F-AD02-DA233B15D0C9_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.548856a0a1d6782a38dd54b1bb73b03c.jpeg

Not a looker but with the chicken livers, ground beef and diced prosciutto there was lots of flavor and it's very close to the dish that my local Italian place removed from their menu not long ago. They served it on penne and this was the closest shape I had to that. 

• Like 13
  • Delicious 2

A real contrast in taste for supper tonight.

Mad soup with Hairy Squash and Lily Bulbs - lovey sweetness - but not the candy sweet. Light and refreshing

564855139_MelonLilyBulbSoup7177.jpg.2ef7f67a2da776581991b68963414a04.jpg

Main dish was Beef & Bitter Melon in Black Bean Garlic Sauce - eaten with Jamine rice.

1316474002_BeefBitterMelon7180.jpg.418ee3a662ed697a72ecdd0278bd32bb.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com