• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2022

liuzhou

Charlie made kimchi stew yesterday which is what he does when Kimchi starts to get too soft.  He said we were going to need some more red pepper paste, so I went to the Korean market and got some and some fresh kimchi and a few other things for dinner.  We had spicy pork bulgogi and some radish kimchi. I didn't know we were out of laver or I would have had some with dinner.  I cooked it in the wok which is the easy way. It tastes better on the grill but it is wet and cold so I wimped out.

20220429_163416.jpg

20220429_163707.jpg

• Like 15
  • Delicious 1

2 hours ago, Norm Matthews said:

Charlie made kimchi stew yesterday which is what he does when Kimchi starts to get too soft.  He said we were going to need some more red pepper paste, so I went to the Korean market and got some and some fresh kimchi and a few other things for dinner.  We had spicy pork bulgogi and some radish kimchi. I didn't know we were out of laver or I would have had some with dinner.  I cooked it in the wok which is the easy way. It tastes better on the grill but it is wet and cold so I wimped out.

Meal looks great. You've mentioned the laver alongside such a meal before. Selection at my Korean markets can be extensive With the type of meal you made are the sheets used like one would use lettuce - as a wrap? I am not familiar with that use - whch sounds good. More umami ;)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, heidih said:

Meal looks great. You've mentioned the laver alongside such a meal before. Selection at my Korean markets can be extensive With the type of meal you made are the sheets used like one would use lettuce - as a wrap? I am not familiar with that use - whch sounds good. More umami ;)

I think seaweed and lettuce can be used interchangeably.  

• Like 1

That is an SV, then grilled, pork chop under the buttered ramps. A sheet pan of thick slab mixed roots and veg. I like this method--cut again in half or quartered, after tender, retains their colors, especially the golden beets and purple sweet potatoes. Another sheet pan of spiced, roasted chick peas for snacking. 

I took out a 1/3rd of the roasted root/veg crop a bit early for tonights curry. Chicken thighs for tonight went in the water bath as well to ease tonights meal prep. 

Screen Shot 2022-04-30 at 8.02.56 AM.png

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1

My mom is going to visit “us” (actually I assume mainly the little one) from tomorrow on for one and a half weeks. So we preponed Pizza & Movie night to tonight, and since we are already throwing traditions over board I changed it to Burger & Movie night …

Got some brisket on offer, and had my butcher grind it up - made super juicy, super flavorful patties. (Commercial) brioche buns, aged cheddar, caramelized onions and lettuce/tomato/pickles. Couple of fries on the side.

0089B9B8-6F6A-4A10-958E-927036636FF8.thumb.jpeg.609d7a130283b89cdd58d63824cb6628.jpeg

Mine had an extra patty, just because …

7F267A4C-151D-46AE-8670-C81A84C3237B.thumb.jpeg.c0f730728edfc4f00da3e053e7fdafae.jpeg

Enjoyed while watching Jungle Beat on Netflix.

• Like 6
  • Delicious 5

@DuvelIt's always good to have a burger with your main dish of fries 😁

German brats with my five, count 'em FIVE fries lol

thumbnail_IMG_2272.jpg.e2fb9453b154ef79775be3cf99cecc9e.jpg

And then last night--I was dying to use my new little soy sauce dishes so Asian-ish happened.

Misfits bought Asian salad mix--cabbage, carrots, celery, cilantro, almonds, wonton strips and dressing.  I doctored it up a bit and added some 5 spice marinated shrimp that I quickly did in a skillet

thumbnail_IMG_2279.jpg.cac2e870d5be98d7105d19d87ad0f211.jpg

Coconut curry sauce.  I was thrilled to find a can of coconut milk in the pantry so I could make this.

thumbnail_IMG_2276.jpg.dab2d79a4d3a93f3914b05a3c97fee18.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2278.jpg.a522d84027a06a69ba4e669d56169fc7.jpg

Boughten chicken potstickers and homemade egg rolls

thumbnail_IMG_2280.jpg.ed939f913fcb7d09d75d39b2abfa65f5.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2281.jpg.908a5afdd93c7a7bb7c6d65f1fd9f167.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 3

20 hours ago, heidih said:

I have been thinking about the laver vs lettuce and I seem to recall that Charlie's mom & family nearly always had the seaweed  as a wrap with bulgogi but at restaurants, it's always been lettuce.

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Coconut curry sauce.  I was thrilled to find a can of coconut milk in the pantry so I could make this.

thumbnail_IMG_2276.jpg.dab2d79a4d3a93f3914b05a3c97fee18.jpg

Your fry consumption continues to crack me up.  

But mainly, if you don't know of it already, may I introduce you to https://www.amazon.com/Aroy-d-Coconut-Milk-100-Original/dp/B00JUB8N3G/ref=sxts_rp_s1_0?crid=1J0YQ8PAO2HDL&cv_ct_cx=coconut+milk&keywords=coconut+milk&pd_rd_i=B00JUB8N3G&pd_rd_r=3e1470a1-aa3f-4451-be06-3e5b59f12e4d&pd_rd_w=gSnFA&pd_rd_wg=eKdYE&pf_rd_p=1646f938-0b84-43fb-8b04-69eb8aa1e55a&pf_rd_r=9S1KFY7XW08RN5H4QKYE&psc=1&qid=1651354653&sprefix=coconut+milk%2Caps%2C80&sr=1-1-5e1b2986-06e6-4004-a85e-73bfa3ee44fe

This coconut milk in the shelf stable carton is vastly superior to any brand of canned milk - just make sure that the one you get says 100% coconut milk on the package.  Some of them (even the same brand) are not so.  Unlike the canned product, there are no stabilizers or gums or texturizers and the flavor reminds me most of the fresh stuff I've had in SE Asia.  I like them in the 8.5oz carton - mainly because I either typically use 1/2 cup or 1 cup at a time.  If I use 1/2 cup, I pour the remainder into a small ziplock bag and get all the air out (like you would for SV) and keep in the freezer.  Some recipes only need a Tablespoon or so of coconut milk, so making a frozen log makes it easy to break off however much you'd like.  Sometimes when it defrosts, it looks like it has separated, but if you give it a quick wisk it comes back together fine.

PXL_20220430_214419813.thumb.jpg.5622830374bdde5bc120988422a80e61.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6

55 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

I have been thinking about the laver vs lettuce and I seem to recall that Charlie's mom & family nearly always had the seaweed  as a wrap with bulgogi but at restaurants, it's always been lettuce.

I'll give the laver a try. I am more used to Viet wrapping with  greenery and rice paper so laver with Korean did not occur to me.True experience is always welcome input - thanks

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

Your fry consumption continues to crack me up.  

But mainly, if you don't know of it already, may I introduce you to https://www.amazon.com/Aroy-d-Coconut-Milk-100-Original/dp/B00JUB8N3G/ref=sxts_rp_s1_0?crid=1J0YQ8PAO2HDL&cv_ct_cx=coconut+milk&keywords=coconut+milk&pd_rd_i=B00JUB8N3G&pd_rd_r=3e1470a1-aa3f-4451-be06-3e5b59f12e4d&pd_rd_w=gSnFA&pd_rd_wg=eKdYE&pf_rd_p=1646f938-0b84-43fb-8b04-69eb8aa1e55a&pf_rd_r=9S1KFY7XW08RN5H4QKYE&psc=1&qid=1651354653&sprefix=coconut+milk%2Caps%2C80&sr=1-1-5e1b2986-06e6-4004-a85e-73bfa3ee44fe

This coconut milk in the shelf stable carton is vastly superior to any brand of canned milk - just make sure that the one you get says 100% coconut milk on the package.  Some of them (even the same brand) are not so.  Unlike the canned product, there are no stabilizers or gums or texturizers and the flavor reminds me most of the fresh stuff I've had in SE Asia.  I like them in the 8.5oz carton - mainly because I either typically use 1/2 cup or 1 cup at a time.  If I use 1/2 cup, I pour the remainder into a small ziplock bag and get all the air out (like you would for SV) and keep in the freezer.  Some recipes only need a Tablespoon or so of coconut milk, so making a frozen log makes it easy to break off however much you'd like.  Sometimes when it defrosts, it looks like it has separated, but if you give it a quick wisk it comes back together fine.

PXL_20220430_214419813.thumb.jpg.5622830374bdde5bc120988422a80e61.jpg

Thank you!!!  I'll do this for sure.

• Like 1

I have agreed to a bigger job than I thought it would be.  The president of Charlie's low riders car club said his wife asked him to ask me if I would make some sides for a party she was having.  Turns out it is her birthday and it is also tomorrow,  and it is going to be during a huge gathering and car show of all the low rider car clubs in the Kansas City area as well as  other people coming in from as far as Mexico. She brought the food over a couple of days ago. Not in the picture are some bacon, onions and molasses.  I had no idea it was going to be for that many people. The food is just for their members and family though. There are going to be food trucks and vendors for the rest of the crowd.  I am a little nervous but feel I can handle it, I just hope people like the sides as well as she did when she had them here before. She asked for green beans and BBQ beans.  They have to be ready by around 9:30 AM tomorrow.

20220430_180821-1.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 10

11 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

I have agreed to a bigger job than I thought it would be.  The president of Charlie's low riders car club said his wife asked him to ask me if I would make some sides for a party she was having.  Turns out it is her birthday and it is also tomorrow, Cinco de Mayo and it is going to be during a huge gathering and car show of all the low rider car clubs in the Kansas City area as well as  other people coming in from as far as Mexico. She brought the food over a couple of days ago. Not in the picture are some bacon, onions and molasses.  I had no idea it was going to be for that many people. The food is just for their members and family though. There are going to be food trucks and vendors for the rest of the crowd.  I am a little nervous but feel I can handle it, I just hope people like the sides as well as she did when she had them here before. She asked for green beans and BBQ beans.  They have to be ready by around 9:30 AM tomorrow.

20220430_180821-1.jpg

Norm, you are one of the nicest people I know.  You will do great!  And just know, you're nicer than I am for sure!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Norm Matthews Oh you got this! You know flavor, and you know cooking. Your instincts will guide you to a happy meal for the beneficiaries. Do let us know how it goes. Sometimes with a crowd it is the staging that is hardest so do ask for help in setting things out and such. LLike napkins, plates and utensils, dishes for garnishes. Your eG cheer team is pretty big!

• Like 2

Back to cooking again, after a week away.

FC76C396-6CEB-4BC7-B858-EC374BE1EF64.thumb.jpeg.58c774111a39fc7565d9662e44ad5c17.jpeg

Braised artichoke hearts on the side (from frozen).

Actually got some nice socarrat on this paella.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 12
  • Delicious 4

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

4 hours ago, Duvel said:

My mom is going to visit “us” (actually I assume mainly the little one) from tomorrow on for one and a half weeks. So we preponed Pizza & Movie night to tonight, and since we are already throwing traditions over board I changed it to Burger & Movie night …

Got some brisket on offer, and had my butcher grind it up - made super juicy, super flavorful patties. (Commercial) brioche buns, aged cheddar, caramelized onions and lettuce/tomato/pickles. Couple of fries on the side.

0089B9B8-6F6A-4A10-958E-927036636FF8.thumb.jpeg.609d7a130283b89cdd58d63824cb6628.jpeg

Mine had an extra patty, just because …

7F267A4C-151D-46AE-8670-C81A84C3237B.thumb.jpeg.c0f730728edfc4f00da3e053e7fdafae.jpeg

Enjoyed while watching Jungle Beat on Netflix.

"Couple"

• Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

31 minutes ago, heidih said:

@Norm Matthews Oh you got this! You know flavor, and you know cooking. Your instincts will guide you to a happy meal for the beneficiaries. Do let us know how it goes. Sometimes with a crowd it is the staging that is hardest so do ask for help in setting things out and such. LLike napkins, plates and utensils, dishes for garnishes. Your eG cheer team is pretty big!

Thank you.  I won't be going.  I hate crowds and am pretty quiet and withdrawn around people.  She provided aluminum catering tubs and Charlie will take them there.  She will be the one supervising the other stuff.  I am not too worried.  Who ever takes then complains about beans anyway?

• Haha 7